Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own them, NBC does.

Note: This is Part 3 of what I call the "Musical" Series



"Musical" Series
Part 3
Live Like Horses
By A.H. Crocker




Green River, Wyoming

Jarod was riding on a dark gray Arabian stallion. As he was riding through the fields, he was reading his red notebook. Inside was an article on his last pretend. The article's headline was"Killer caught in Kennebunk." Jarod decided to start heading back to the ranch he was staying at when he heard the sound of a thousand running horses. He was right. It wasn't a thousand but there had to be at least a hundred wild horses runnning. Behind them was a masked person on an ATV. The man was stampeding the horses out of the fields and they were heading towards Jarod. Jarod turned his horse around and it ran like mad. He was trying to get away when his horse threw him and took off. Jarod was right in the path of the horses. He had landed right on his back and the breath was knocked out of him. Jarod knew that if the horses reached him, he would be killed. He caught his breath and tried to climb up a small rockface when the horses came. He tried to get out of the way but they were too close. The horses trampled over and left behind an unconscious, mangled Jarod.

Red Sands Ranch
Green River, Wyoming
"He been out there too long. I'm starting to get worried." Rachel said. Rachel was a guide at the ranch. Jarod was helping her discover why the wild mustangs were disappearing. "Take my horse and go out and look for him." Rachel sent her husband Tony out to find Jarod."Don't worry. I'll find him."

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker was down in SL-27 with Broots, Sydney, and Angelo. Broots was scared as usual. Sydney was wondering why Miss Parker dragged him down here. Angelo kept quiet until Sydney heard him mutter something.

"I decided who lives or dies."

"What's he saying Syd." Miss Parker said.

"Kyle must have been here." Sydney said.

Somewhere in Green River

Jarod came to near the edge of a forest. He couldn't move either of his legs and one of his arms was broken. He found his bag and took out the first-aid kit. He used the bandages to fix his arm. Jarod knew that he could last out there for three days. Any longer and the people who found him would not see him alive.

"Can anybody hear me? Help!" Jarod screamed. The only sound that returned was the whistling of the wind. The screaming had taken up his remaining strength. Jarod sighed and tried to keep himself awake as he lost consciousness.

Unfortunately, Tony didn't hear Jarod's cries. He was about 25 miles away. He had checked all the trails and there was no sign of Jarod or his horse. He decided to head back to the ranch when he spotted a figure in the woods. He couldn't see the man's face. All he saw was a flash of blue. Tony's cellphone started to ring and he forgot all about the man.

"Hello."

"Tony,have you found Jarod yet?"

"No, I haven't. Have you had any word from him?"

"He must be hurt because I found his horse."

"His horse?"

"It came running through the woods about an hour ago.

"Well, I'm heading back and I'll start the search again tomorrow." Tony said.

Still in Green River

Jarod was falling in and out of consciousness. He knew that he had to get help soon or he wouldn't make it. Night was falling and it was getting dark fast. Jarod tried one last time to scream.

"Can anybody hear me?"

A man walking in the shadows of the night heard the cries. He had a picture of Jarod in his hand.

"Jarod." the man whispered and started to run to where he heard the screams. When the man got there, he found a dirty, mangled Jarod. Jarod was barely conscious but he managed to raise his head to look at the man.

"Kyle?" Jarod whispered.

"Yes. Hang on. I'm going to get you out of here. It's going to be ok now." Kyle said. He couldn't move Jarod on account of his injuries but he did try to comfort him.

"Do you know the number of the ranch?" Kyle asked.Jarod told him the number and Kyle called on Jarod's cellphone. Rachel answered the phone.

"Tony?"

"No, my name's Kyle. I found Jarod."

"Who are you?"

"I'm his brother. Please just trust me. He needs help."

"Where are you?"

"We're about 10 miles east of the ranch. Please hurry."

They were found and Jarod was taken to a hospital. Jarod woke up an hour later and found out that Kyle was gone. He sat up and sighed. He thought that seeing Kyle was just a dream.

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Kyle was down here?" Miss Parker asked.

"Guys, look what I found." Broots said.

Sydney and Miss Parker walked towards Broots. He had opened a small cabinet and out of it fell at least 35 blue notebooks. All of them had different dates on them. Some were of Jarod while he was still in the Centre. Others were of when he escaped but what surprised Sydney was when he opened one of the notebooks. Inside was a picture of a van and an explosion. Then there was another picture of Kyle crawling away while a saddened Jarod was screaming "NO!"

"Oh my God." Sydney muttered.

"What is it Syd?" Miss Parker asked.

"Kyle's alive"

"What?"

"It's true. Look at this." Sydney showed her another blue notebook. Inside was a picture of Jarod in his hospital bed. "Look at the date. It's todays date. So he was down here today. He might still be down here. Kyle left this for us to see. He wants us to know he's alive but does Jarod know he's alive." Sydney said as his cellphone started to ring.

"This is Sydney."

"Do you miss your brother, Sydney?"

"Jarod."

"I miss my brother so much I started seeing visions of him. I was trampled by a stampede of horses and I thought that I would die if no one found me in time. I saw a vision of Kyle and he saved my life. I woke up in a hospital and he was gone."

"Jarod, I have to tell you something."
"What is it Sydney?"

"Jarod, Kyle's still alive."

"Sydney, please don't get my hopes up. I know it's not true. My brother died and it's my fault for not doing something to help."

Kyle came from behind Sydney and grabbed the phone.

"Jarod, it's true. I'm still alive."

"Kyle?"

"Yes, I'm still alive and I'm in the Centre."

"What. Kyle get out of there!" Jarod shouted.

"Don't worry. The only people who know I'm here are Broots, Sydney, and Miss Parker. I know they won't tell anyone. I'll explain everything when I get to you." Kyle said.

"Please be careful, Kyle." Jarod said.

"Don't worry about me." Kyle said and hung up.

Kyle ran to get out of the Centre. He turned to go around a corner and out from the shadows stepped Raines.

"Going somewhere Kyle." Raines wheezed.

"Yes."

"I don't think so." Raines said and drew his gun. From behind Raines came Willie. He also had his gun drawn, pointed point blank at Kyle's chest.

"I'm not scared of you or your guns. I won't go willingly. I would rather die then stay here." Kyle yelled, hoping someone would hear it.

"I hope we can work something without going as far as killing you but if comes to that I wouldn't even hesitate to kill you." Raines said in a threatening voice.

Green River Hospital,
Green River, Wyoming

Jarod was getting worried about Kyle. He was supposed to be there an hour ago. Jarod knew that he had to be in trouble but he didn't know if he was out of the Centre or not. He decided to call Sydney to find out.

"This is Sydney."

"Is Kyle still there?" Jarod said.

"No, he left a while ago." Sydney replied.

"Well, he never showed up here. I'm worried that he never made it out of the Centre. I think that Raines's sweepers might have him."

"Sydney, could you see if he is still in the Centre?"

"Sure, Jarod. I'll do everthing I can."

"Sydney."

"Yes."

"Please be careful."

"I will."

Down in SL-27

"Keep moving." Raines said. He had put his gun away. Willie's gun was enough to handle Kyle. Willie had his gun to Kyle's back, ready to kill him if he even thought of trying something.

"Don't stop or I'll make sure Jarod gets to see your lifeless body." Raines threatened.

"I won't give you any trouble. It's not that I'm scared of getting killed. I'll keep moving only because my brother felt the pain of losing me once. I won't put Jarod through that kind of pain again." Kyle said.

Miss Parker's office

"So you think Kyle is still in the Centre." Miss Parker was sitting at her office when Sydney and Broots ran in and started talking about Jarod's phonecall. She knew that it had to be Raines that had Kyle if he was still here.

"Yes. I'm sure he's still here. I just don't know where." Sydney said.

"Take Broots down to SL-27 and try to find Raines and Kyle. I've got a feeling that Raines is going to finish what he started and if he succeeds we all are in danger. The person who is in the most danger is Jarod." Miss Parker said. "Don't let yourself be seen when you find them. We will help him when Raines leaves. One thing is for certain, Raines cannot succeed."

SL-27

Kyle was pushed into a room by Willie. Raines left two sweepers in front of his door. Inside Kyle sat on the bed and sighed. He had to get out of there but how. He laid down on the bed, trying to think of a way to get out when a blue notebook fell from the ceiling, almost hitting him in the head.

"Hey." Kyle said.

Kyle's voice made one of the sweepers look into the room. Kyle closed his eyes and pretended to be having nightmares. The sweeper just stared at him for a moment and then turned away, unconcerned.

After the sweeper left, Kyle looked up at the ceiling. He saw a smiling Angelo staring at him from inside the vents. Kyle had an idea and he climbed up into the vents. He crawled out until he found himself staring at Miss Parker, Sydney, and Broots inside Sydney's office. Miss Parker was trying to make sense of the whole thing.

"What the hell is going on here, Syd? Why couldn't you find Kyle and Raines?"

"I told you Miss Parker. Raines has a room somewhere and I don't know where it is." Sydney said.

Kyle decided, at that time, to get into the conversation. He dropped out of the vent and landed right next to Broots.

"Hi. Did you miss me?"

"Kyle?"

Sydney's cellphone started ringing and there was a knock at Sydney's door. Kyle climbed back into the vent and Sydney answered the door. It was Raines. He glanced around the room and just glared at Sydney. The phone was still ringing.

"Are you going to answer that?" Raines said.

Miss Parker stepped out from behind Sydney and stood right in Raines's face. All she did was glare at him and Raines decided to leave before he got hurt. After Broots made sure Raines was gone, Sydney answered the phone.

"Was Raines in the office?"

"Yes, Jarod. Your safe to talk now." Sydney asked.

"Did you find my brother? Where's Kyle?" Jarod asked.

"He's...." Sydney was suddenly inturupted when Kyle grabbed the phone away from Sydney.

"You know I'm really starting to get sick of you." Sydney muttered.

"Jarod, it's me." Kyle said. "I'm on my way."

Red Sands Ranch
Green River, Wyoming

Jarod was sitting in his wheelchair, waiting for Kyle to show up. He hoped that nothing else happened to him. Just then a shadow appeared in the distance. It was a shadow of a man on a horse. Jarod smiled as the shadow got closer.

"Kyle!" Jarod called.

"Hey, Jarod. How's it going?" Kyle answered.

"Not bad. My legs still hurt a little bit but other then that, I'm fine. I also want to thank you for saving my life out there. After I called Sydney and found out that you were still in the Centre, I thought I'd never see you again."

"It was Angelo who saved me. If it weren't for him I would have never gotten out of there. Raines and Willie had their guns pointed at me and forced me into a room in SL-27. They were ready to kill me when Angelo showed me the way out." Kyle explained.

"After my legs heal where do you want to go?" Jarod asked.

"Let's go to New York. I have always wanted to go there." Kyle said.

"Sure. We'll work for then NYPD." Jarod said.

"NYPD?" Kyle asked.

"It's the New York Police Department." Jarod said, smiling.


Live Like Horses
By
Elton John

I can't control this flesh and blood
That's wrapped around my bones
It moves beneath me like a river
Into the great unknown
I stepped onto the moving stairs
Before I could tie my shoes
Pried a harp out of the fingers of a renegade
Who lived and died the blues
And his promise made made was never clear
It just carved itself in me
All I saw was frost inside my head
On the night he said to me

Someday we'll live like horses
Free reign
>From your old iron fences
There's more way than one
To regain your senses
Break out the stalls and live like horses

We're victims of the heartbreak
That keeps us short of breath
Trapped above these bloodless streets
Without a safety net
I tood in line to join the tribe
One more customer of fate
Claimed a spoke in the wheel of the wagon train
On the Road to the golden gate
On the flat dry desert I jumped ship
It just made senseto me
I've spent to long in the belly of the beast
and now I shall be free

Someday we'll live like horses
Free reign
>From your old iron fences
There's more way than one
To regain your senses
Break out the stalls and live like horses