Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Note to reader: This is part 8 of the "MUSICAL SERIES". I changed my mind, these stories will be about the adventures of Jarod, Kyle, and maybe even Emily. Remember the titles are still song titles. Heather C.
P.S. Please see also
Part 1: Sailing
Part 2: Long Way from Happiness
Part 3: Live Like Horses
Part 4: Can't stop this thing (I) we started
Part 5: Not Guilty
Part 6: The Power
Part 7: On A Day Like Today
Thanks to my friends who helped me with my Writer's Block
Eric R.
Chris K.
Pat B.
Kyle T.
&
Ryan M.




"Musical" Series
Part 8
Crash & Buern
By A.H. Crocker


DAY 1

Pacific Jetport
Santa Monica, California

Jarod prepares a small Cenca jet for takeoff. It was a clear day and according to Jarod's radio, it was going to stay that way. He was on his way to Alaska. Once he was in the air, he saw his mistake. The weather report was wrong. The storm had changed course and he was caught in the middle of it. Jarod tried to maintain altitude as he fought the turbulance.

"Come on. Come on." Jarod pleade with the dying machine. He soon lost all control of the plane. The plane spun a few times and plunged into the ocean.

Undisclosed Location

Jarod woke up to find himself floating in the water. He was lucky to have survived the crash.

"Great. I survive a plane crash just to die in the middle of the ocean." Jarod muttered to himself. He sighed as he floated on the waves.

"Ow!" he said, suddenly hitting his head. He turned to see that he had hit his head on a rock. Jarod had been washed up on an island. As he dragged himself out of the water he realized his right leg and wrist were broken. He also dislocated his left shoulder. Along with that, he was losing blood from many cuts on his body. As he laid on the shore his thoughts drifted to all the problems he had in the past few months. The time he was shot, getting trampled by horses, the attack from Lyle, when he was arrested, when Kyle was kidnapped, the hostage situation with Miss Parker, and then losing his brother again. Once again, Jarod thought the whole thing was his fault. In his grief, he fell asleep on the shore.


DAY 2

Alaskan S&R
Jueneu, Alaska

"What do you mean he never showed up?"

"That's the truth, Sir. Records show he got into his plane in Santa Monica. After that there's nothing." Patrick told the frantic man. Patrick Gates was a search and rescue offical of the Pacific area. He was supose to have an offical from California come to help him out but he never showed. It wasn't like Jarod not to show up or at least call. That worried Pat because Jarod saved his life once and now he was in trouble.

"Once I get more information I'll call you." Pat told the man. Patrick watched as the man stormed out of the office.

Undisclosed Location

Jarod awoke with rain splashing his face. He dragged himself higher up the shore and tried to stand. After a few failed attempts, he got himself up against a tree. He knew he had to get help but he didn't know how. Jarod felt around for his cellphone and found it in the grass by his feet. Jarod turned it on, surprised that it even worked. He was going to call Sydney but he wouldn't be able to get there in time. So he decided to call someone else instead.

A Cabin
Vancouver, Canada

Nicholas just walked into the cabin when he heard the phone ring. He figured it was his girlfriend, checking to see if he made it there all right. He raced to grab the phone.

"Hello."

"Nick?"

Nicholas's eyes widened in recognition. "Jarod? Is that you?"

"Yes." Jarod said softly.

"Jarod?" A look of concern flashed across his face. A knock came on his door and a young man entered. "What's wrong? You sound hurt?"

"Yeah, I decided to see if a plane could land in the ocean and become a boat. Let's just say it didn't work out too well." Jarod laughed weakly.

"Look, I don't have time for your sarcasm. Where are you?" Nicholas asked,
worry filling his voice.

"Nick, what's wrong?" the man asked.

"Scott, just give me a minute and I'll tell you." Nicholas said and to Jarod he said, " Hang on, Jarod. We'll find you, trust me."

"Before you go..."

"Yeah Jarod."

"Call your fa...er.''

"What? Jarod, I'm losing your signal. Jarod! Jarod!" Nicholas sighed, the only sound that returned was the hiss of Jarod's cellphone. "Damn!" Nicholas yelled as he slammed his phone down.

"Nick! Will you tell me what the hell is going on here?" Scott asked. He was scared by the look on his best friend's face.

"I'll tell you on the way to the Alaskan Search and Rescue." Nicholas said
and then went to his car.

"What? Nick! Nick! Wait for me!" Scott yelled and ran after Nicholas.


Alaskan Search&Rescue Base
Juneau, Alaska

Pat was even more worried. It had been a day since Jarod's plane disappeared. The search team was giving up hope of finding him alive. He was about to give up himself when someone knocked on his door.

"Sir, there's someone here to see you."

"Thanks Nate, send him in." Nate was one of Pat's team members. He was one of the people who wanted to give up and send only the minimum number of agents out. Pat wouldn't allow it because those agents would only be out there to find Jarod's body. He wasn't about to give upon Jarod because he knew that Jarod would never give up on him, if it were him out there. Nicholas walked in, disrupting Pat's thoughts and worries.

"Hi, My name's Nicholas and this is my best friend Scott. I have some information for you."

"Is it about Jarod?"

"Yes, I'm one of his friends. He called me at my cabin and I recorded some of the call." Nick said, holding up a tape.

"Can I see the tape." Pat asked.

"Sure. Can you excuse me? I need to make a phone call."


DAY 3
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker and Broots were walking down to SL-16 to meet Sydney in Broots office.

"Jarod has never been this late." Miss Parker said.

"What do you mean, Miss Parker?" Broots asked.

"Usually Jarod calls me to laugh at my failed attempt to catch him. He hasn't called me for a few days now." Miss Parker explained.

"Do you think something happened to him?" Broots asked.

"After these past few weeks..." she sighed sadly. "Nevermind. Where was Jarod's last lair?"

"Santa Monica, California." Broots said.

"What are you thinking Parker?" Sydney asked.

"I think he's either in trouble, hurt, or he's dead." Miss Parker answered.

"I really hope it's not any of those choices." Broots said. The phone started ringing as they entered Broots' office. Broots walked to his desk to answer it. "Hello."

"Broots, put my dad on the phone. NOW!"

"Nicholas?" Broots asked, but on hearing his son's name, Sydney grabbed the phone.

"Nicholas."

"Dad, there's something I need to tell you." Nicholas said. Sydney heard the tension in his son's voice and feared the worse.

"What is it Nick?"

"It's about Jarod."

"What happened?"

"Jarod was flying a small jet and he crashed into the ocean."

"Don't tell me that he's dead."

"No. He's alive but he's hurt very badly. He called me yesterday. He might not make it another day."

"I'm on the first plane to Alaska." Sydney said.

"Dad, bring Miss Parker too. We might need her help." Nicholas said and hung up.

"What's up, Syd?" Miss Parker asked.

"We're going to Alaska." Sydney told her.

"I'll stay here and try to get some information on the plane Jarod was flying and where it went down." Broots said.

"No Broots. Your coming with us. We may need your help." Miss Parker said.

"Sure. Just let me grab my computer and we'll leave." Broots said.


Undisclosed Location

Jarod was getting worse. There was a storm pounding rain on top of him,
soaking his body. He was weak and vulnerable to the elements of the
environment. He knew that someone was coming for him but he didn't know how
much longer he could hold out.

Alaskan Search & Rescue
Juneau, Alaska

Miss Parker, Broots, and Sydney walked into the S&R office. Inside, Pat and Nicholas were sitting at the table, looking at maps of the islands. Miss Parker just stared at Pat. She walked to a nearby chair and collapsed into it.

"Parker!" Sydney cried.

"Miss Parker, are you all right?" Broots asked.

"Yes." then to Pat she said, "Patrick?"

Patrick nodded his head. "I'm so sorry, Parker. I didn't know you would react this way at seeing me again."

"What do you mean by that?" Sydney asked.

"My name is Patrick. My last name is Gates." Pat explained then turned his attention back to Miss Parker.

"Your Thomas' brother?" Broots asked.

Pat nodded again. "I just got word of my brother's death last week. I still can't believe he's dead. Then I hear that Jarod's plane crashed and I had to act. He saved my life about five months ago. I can't lose him. I've lost too many people in my life already. My parents, my best friend, and now my brother. I'm not going to lose Jarod too."

"Miss Parker, you'd better see this." Broots called from across the room. He was at his computer, along with Nicholas. They were both staring at the screen.

"What is it Broots?"
"I just brought up the recorcds of the search team that is working on Jarod's case and I found this." He called up the file and the profiles of the team came on the screen.

"I know him. He was he a few days ago demanding where Jarod was but I never knew who he was." Pat said.

"It says here that his name is Kyle Taner. It also says that he is ex-FBI and joined the Alsakan S&R last week. I'm downloading the team pictures now." Broots reported and sat back in shock as the picture came on the screen.

"Broots, you look like you've just seen a ghost." Sydney said.

"I have. Take a look at this." The picture was of Jarod's younger brother.

"But he's dead. He was killed in a hostage situation a few weeks ago. Who else is on that team?" Miss Parker asked Pat.

"Well, the actual team is split into two groups of three. There's Chris Moran, Erik Hutchinson, and of course Kyle. The other team includes a man named Nate Keating, a young intern named Ryan Cote, and me." Pat told her.

"We have to do something." Sydney said.

"We're doing all we can." Pat told him.

"Well somebody better start doing something or I'll go out and find him myself." Patrick stared at her shoes and started laughing. "What?" Miss Parker asked.

"Not in those heels you aren't." he said.

"Just watch me."


Undiclosed Location

Jarod was getting scared. It was the evening of his third day on the island. It was dark, cold, and raining. He'd lost a lot of his strength and was giving up hope of being rescued. He could hardly move and had lost a lot of blood from the many wounds on his body. He was so disoriented that he thought that he heard someone calling his name, so he cried out as loud as he could.

"I'm here! Help! I'm here!" then softer "I'm here." He then lost consciousness.

A man was walking through the woods. He stopped when he heard the shouts. He began to run towards the source of the noise. There in the grass, he found Jarod. He bent down to check his injuries.

"Hang on, brother." then into his radio he called,"This is Taner. I found him."


Alaskan Search & Rescue
Juneau, Alaska

Good work, Taner. What's his condition?" Pat was relieved that Kyle had found Jarod. He called to the others who were in the other room. They came in as Kyle was annoucing Jarod's condition.

"He's alive but he's hurt very badly. I don't know how long he's going to last. He wouldn't have made it another day. You guys need to get here fast." Kyle reported.

"We're on our way." Pat said. He called Nate and Ryan. Then they all left in a helicopter, heading towards Jarod.


Undisclosed Location

Kyle had covered Jarod with a blanket to keep him warm and to keep the rain from soaking him even more. He couldn't start a fire in the rain so the blankets were all he had until the rest of the tam arrived. Erik and Chris had gone to try and find some shelter. Jarod woke up and spotted Kyle but he wasn't sure if it was him.

"Kyle?"

"Yes, it's me." Kyle responded and turned around. Jarod, seeing his brother's face, nearly passed out.

"But...but, your dead?" Jarod said weakly.

"The Golden Globe award goes to Kyle for the besr faked death in real life." he laughed. Then he got a real serious look on his face as he saw the other injuries that he hadn't seen before. "Chris!" he shouted.

"Yeah."

"Can you get me my bag?"

"Sure." Chris came over to Kyle and handed him his bag. Erik came over to help them. Erik got really worried about Jarod.

"Taner, is he going to be all right? He doesn't look very good. Here give him another blanket." Erik said.

"Thank you, Erik." Kyle said.

"He reconised you. How come?" Erik asked.

"He's my brother." Kyle said sadly.

"Really? You know, I lost my brother and sister when I was sixteen. We were out at a party and I left early. One of the guys there drove them home. It was the next day that I heard of the accident."

"I'm sorry." Kyle said, putting a comforting hand on Erik shoulder.

"Hey, do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"That!" What Erik heard and saw was a helicopter. The other team had arrived. Pat came and got Jarod into the helicopter. Another helicopter came and took Chris, Nate, and Ryan. The other one had Jarod, Kyle, Pat, and Erik. Erik watched as Pat worked on Jarod and Kyle went to the other end of the chopper. Pat then walked over to Kyle and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Will my brother survive?" Kyle asked.

"I'm not sure Kyle. I don't know if he'll pull through this." Pat said.

"Damn it, Pat. I can't lose him! He's the only family I have left. I haven't found my family and I might not without him." Kyle collapsed in his seat and cried.

"I understand what your going through, Kyle." Pat said.

"How can you possibly understand?" Kyle asked through tears. Erik came closer to listen and to also comfort Kyle.

"Jarod didn't tell you?" Pat was a little shock.

"No. What happened?"

"My older brother Thomas was murdered last week. He meant so much to me. Thomas took care of me when our parents died, he comforted me when my best friend died of cancer, and he saved my life with the help of Jarod." Pat looked like he was having a hard time breathing.

"Pat, why didn't you tell me?" Erik asked. Erik had been Pat's friend for about six years and he had never mentioned it to him.

"I didn't want to accept it. When I saw Miss Parker's sad expression when she saw me, I knew it was true." Pat said in tears. Erik had been listening to the sad story when he heard a cough from Jarod.

"Pat!" Erik called. Pat ran to Jarod's side and saw tears in his eyes. He was shaking with the cold of hypothermia setting in. Jarod's breathing became short and rapid as he cried.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Jarod cried.

"Why are you sorry, Jarod?" Pat asked

"I had Miss Parker and Thomas meet each other. The Centre had him killed because Miss Parker was losing her focus. It was my fault. I should have known what the Centre would do." Jarod told him.

"It wasn't your fault. Try to slow down your breathing or you'll kill yourself before you get to the hospital." Pat joked sadly. No more was said until they reached the hospital.


DAY 4

Evergreen Day Hospital
Juneau, Alaska

Jarod was rushed into the emergency room. Kyle, Sydney, Miss Parker, Nicholas, Patrick, and Erik were left to wait in the nearby waiting room. Pat and Erik were shaking with worry. Miss Parker and Nicholas kept to themselves. Sydney was trying to comfort Kyle as they prepared for the worst.

The doctor came in and said that one of them could go to see him. Everyone agreed that it should be Kyle. He followed the doctor into Jarod's room. The doctor checked the monitors and left the two alone. As soon as the doctor left, Jarod jumped out of bed like a child on Christmas morning.

"How are we going to get out of here?" Kyle asked.

"The way a pretender does." Jarod said, pointing to the two doctors suits hanging in the closet.

Jarod and Kyle quickly left the hospital but not before checking on their friends in the waiting room.

"Hello My name is Dr. Pepper and this is Dr. Coke." Jarod said.

"Nice names. Where's Dr. Pepsi?" Miss Parker commented.

Eveybody went into Jarod's room. They found the room empty except for a piece of paper on Jarod's bed.

"It's a note from Jarod." Erik said and Sydney grabbed to note to read it.

Dear Sydney, Miss Parker, Nicholas, Erik, and Patrick,

I'm fine. I'm not dead and I'm on the search for my parents. Kyle's here too. So until we meet again, catch me if you can.
-Jarod


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Sydney was sitting at his desk when the phone rang. It was Jarod.

"Jarod?" Sydney asked

"Yes, it's me. I'm here and alive." Jarod said laughing.

"I was worried about you. Did you have your whole escape planned out?" Sydney asked.

"Yeah. Kyle actually came up with the idea on the helicopter." Jarod said and hung up.

"Jarod? Jarod?" Sydney sighed because he knew who Jarod would call next. Miss Parker.


Miss Parker's home
Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker answered the ringing phone in her usual style.

"What?"

"Did you think I could die that easily?" Jarod asked.

"No, but I had my doubts." Miss Parker replied.

"Well, I'm fine and I'll still drive you crazy. Check in the kitchen." Jarod said and hung up.

Miss Parker sighed and walked to her kitchen. She saw a card on the counter. She opened the card and a picture fell out. The card said CATCH US IF YOU CAN! The picture was of Jarod and Kyle at Sea World.

"I will catch you, Jarod...Someday!"



Crash & Burn


When you feel all alone
and the world has turned it's back on you
Give me a moment please to tame your wild wild heart
I know you feel like the walls are closing in on you
It's hard to find relief and peopple can be so cold
When darkness is upon your door and you feel like you can't take anymore

Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
Your not alone

When you feel all alone
And a loyal friend is hard to find
You're caught in a one way street
With the monsters in your head
When hopes and dreams are far away and
You feel like you can't face the day

Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
Your not alone

Because there has always been heartache and pain
and when it's over you'll breathe again
You'll breath again

When you feel all alone
and the world has turned it's back on you
Give me a moment please to tame your wild wild heart

Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
Your not alone