Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Note to reader: This is part 5 of the "MUSICAL SERIES". I changed my mind, these stories will be about the adventures of Jarod, Kyle, and maybe even Emily. Remember the titles are still song titles. Comments, Questions,etc contact me @ whalewoman95@hotmail.com Heather C.
P.S. Please see also
Part 1: Sailing
Part 2: Long Way from Happiness
Part 3: Live Like Horses
Part 4: Can't stop this thing (I) we started
Part 5: Not Guilty
Part 6: The Power






"Musical" Series
Part 7
On A Day Like Today
By A.H. Crocker




Streets of
Dover, Delaware

Robert and Brian Readon were on their way to the airport. The two brother were on their way to the Amazon Rainforest to research a potential cure for cancer. Both of them were just out of college and on their first excursion. They just needed to cash Brian's check at the local bank. Dover Town Bank to be exact.

****

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Miss Parker"

Broots stumbled into her office, holding a folder. She looked up to see not just Broots but her brother. 'What the hell does he want?' she wondered.

"What Broots?" Miss Parker said, ignoring her brother.

"Well......"

"Mr. Broots has a lead on Jarod. He's at the Dover Town Bank." Lyle said, cutting him off.

"Was I asking you?" Miss Parker said angerly

FLASH

Patience has never been one of your virtues, has it Miss Parker?

You've got quite a set showing up here.

Well even you wouldn't pull a gun in a bank.

Where did you find that letter?

In the last place you'd expect. Would you care to read more.

You son of a bitch.

FLASH

"Miss Parker?"

"Hey sis, you okay."

She looked to find both Lyle and Broots staring at her. She shook her head a couple of times and they were still staring.

"Lyle, get the jet ready." she said, trying to shake the vision out of her head.

"The jet? Parker, the bank is just a half hour away." Lyle said.

"Fine! Just park the car out front and wait for me there." Lyle left, leaving Miss Parker alone with Broots.

"Are you sure your okay, Parker?" Broots asked.

"I'm fine." then under her breath she said, "I just have a bad feeling about this."

****

Dover Town Bank
Dover, Delaware

Jarod and Kyle were already at the bank. Jarod had told Kyle about the time he and Miss Parker were trapped during a robbery. This pretend was Kyle's idea. Jarod didn't want to be a bank teller. It was one of the most dangerous professions there was but Kyle insisted that it was only to help Jarod get over his fear of being in another bank robbery. Still, Jarod had been complaining all day.

"Jarod, it's almost time to close anyway. What can possibly happen in a half hour?" Kyle said. As soon as he said it he regretted it, because both of them saw the danger at the door. Jarod sent Kyle out the back door so he could get the car ready.

Lyle and Miss Parker had stepped into the building. Jarod looked around. There were no sweepers or anything. It almost made Jarod laugh. They were here to get some money.

Behind Lyle and Parker, Rob and Brian waited patiently, but behind them were three more men. One was locking the doors from the inside. He turned around and fired his gun in the air.

"Everybody get down and don't move!" the man shouted. Everyone dropped to the floor, including Miss Parker, Lyle, Rob, Brian, and Jarod.

Jarod was panicked. 'Oh no, it's happening again.' he thought as the men moved them behind his desk. Before he ducked down behind the desk Jarod caught a glimpse of Kyle. He was locked out but he understood what was going on. He pointed to the skylight window and Jarod nodded. As Jarod ducked down further behind the desk, he saw Lyle reach for his gun. Jarod had to stop him.

"Your two are so much alike."Jarod said.

Lyle's head whipped around to stare fiercely at Jarod.

"What the hell are you doing here, Jarod?" Lyle said.

"I was working until I was so rudely interupted." Jarod said, glaring at the man's accomplice. "I told Kyle I didn't want to do this but he insisted."

"Where is he, anyway?" Miss Parker asked.

"Up there." Jarod said pointing to the ceiling. At the sunroof window stood Kyle. He was on the phone, with the police. Obviously, he was informing them of the situation below.

"I never thought I would be stuck in another bank robbery with you, Jarod." Miss Parker said.

"Well, I'm not exactly thrilled about it myself." Jarod replied.

Brian and Rob were sitting behind Lyle and Jarod while this was going. Brian was on the verge of crying.

"What do you think will happen to us, Rob?" Brian asked his older brother.

"I'm not sure. But trust me on this. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." Rob said. Jarod, overhearing the conversation, moved so he was sitting next to Rob and Brian.

"Are you okay?" Jarod asked.

"I'm just scared." Brian said.

"Don't worry, my brother's working on the situation as we speak." Jarod said to the young man.

"Where is he?" Brian asked shyly, not knowing why this guy cared about him and his brother.

"He's on the roof, on the phone. In fact he's right there." Jarod said as he once again pointed to the skylight.

"I hope he hurries it along. I got places to be and no doubt the others are looking for us." Lyle interupted.

***

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Where is Lyle?"

"Like I would know, All I know is that he and Miss Parker left the Centre an hour ago and they're still not back." Broots said.

Broots and Sydney had been sitting in Broots's office, waiting for Lyle and Miss Parker. Broots had gotten a solid lead on Jarod and Lyle seemed excited about it.

"What do you think, Syd?" Broots asked.

"You said he left an hour ago. Maybe he has a different lead on Jarod or Kyle that we don't know about." Sydney said.

"What if Lyle's planning on hurting them?" Broots asked. He recalled a time Lyle said it was time to end this pursuit of Jarod. Lyle also said that he'd do what ever it takes to end it. Of course Broots didn't mention this to Sydney. Sydney would panic. He knew that Sydney would do whatever it takes to save Jarod.

****

Dover Town Bank
Dover, Delaware

The robbers were having a problem. They were finished at the bank but they neede a way to get by the cops. When Nick saw the young man sitting in the corner, he got his idea. He walked up behind Brian and grabbed him. Brian struggled, kicked. and screamed.

"No! Let me go! No!" Brian cried.

Rob and Jarod were on their feet before the Nick could stop them. They didn't get two steps before the gunman pulled out his gun. With his gun at Brian's throat, Nick walked towards the door, knowing that Jarod and Rob wouldn't follow. But someone else decided to do something.

"Rob, help! Help!" Brian cried.

"Stop!" someone shouted. It was Lyle. He was standing up and had his gun pointed at the gunman. Then the accomplices barged into the room.

"Nick, what are you doing?"

Startled, both Lyle and Nick looked at the men that just walked in. Nick recovered sooner and suddenly, shot Lyle. He fell to the floor as the men ran outside, dragging Brian with them. The other two men grabbed Miss Parker and Jarod. They got into a car and drove off.

"Lyle!" Rob shouted as he fell to the floor beside him.

"It's okay, Lyle. It's okay." Rob said softly. Suddenly Kyle came rushing to Rob's side.

"How'd this happen? I only left the window for a second and I come back to
find all hell breaking loose." Kyle said. "I'm going to call Sydney and tell
him what happened here."

*****

The Centre
Blue Cove Delaware

"Broots, I have a feeling that Jarod has something to do with Lyle's disappearance. Miss Parker too.

Sydney was a wreck. He hadn't slept in the past two days. The phone rang and he leaped twenty feet in the air before Broots answered it.

"Hello."

"Broots, put Sydney on. Now!"

"Yes, but who is this?" Broots had barely heard Kyle's voice let alone reconise it.

"It's Kyle. Look, will you just put him on?"

"What's wrong. Is there something wrong with Jarod?" Broots asked.

"BROOTS!"

"Ok. Ok, here he is." Kyle heard a shuffle as Broots handed the phone to Sydney.

"This is Sydney."

"Missing somebody?" Kyle asked.

" Kyle? What did you two do with Lyle and Parker?" Sydney asked.

"Look, I don't have time to explain so listen to me. Lyle was hurt when the bank we were in was robbed. He's fine. But..." Kyle said.

"Kyle..." he started to say.

"Jarod, Miss Parker, and a man named Brian are still hostages. Now I have to go. The situation is desperate." he said as he hung up the phone.

"Kyle, are you still there?" The only return was that of a dial tone. "Your just like your brother, Kyle." he sighed and went to his own office.

****

A warehouse
Dayton, Maine

"Let us go! We got you out of the state! Hell, we got you all the way to Maine! Now let us go!" Brian was screaming his lungs out as he begged to be let go. He was tied to a chair and had been screaming for the past hour. The others were in similiar situations. Nick wasn't sure what he wanted to do with them.

"What are we going to do with them, Nick? We can't leave him here to scream like this." Mike said, pointing at Brian. "There are always game wardens in these woods. They would find them and then come after us." Mike was one of Nick's partners.

"I'll shut him up." Nick said. He grabbed a lead pipe that was hanging around and struck Brian in the back of the head. Brian was immediately unconscious.

"Brian!" Jarod shouted. He and Miss Parker were tied up on the other side of the building. "What do you want from us?"

"I want you to shut up before you end up like him." Nick said, pointing to Brian. " Let's go, Mike. You too, Jeff." The three of them left the warehouse and Miss Parker and Jarod alone.

Once he was sure the men were gone, Jarod spoke to Miss Parker.

"Parker, can you reach that knife on the table over there?" Jarod asked.

"I might be able to." Miss Parker said. She reached and grabbed the knife. She cut her ropes and ran to Brian's side.

"Hey! What about me?" Jarod asked.

Miss Parker tossed the knife on Jarod's lap."Here. Cut yourself loose." She check Brian's pulse while Jarod was getting himself untied. She began to panic suddenly. " Jarod!" Miss Parker called.

"What is it, Parker?" Jarod asked.

"He doesn't have a pulse and he's not breathing."

"No." Jarod ran from his chair to Brian's side. He started CPR right away. He didn't see any sign that his efforts were working. He started crying and pleading with an unconsious Brian. "No. Come on , man. You can't die here." Just as Jarod was about to give up, Brian coughed.

"Are you okay?" Jarod asked.

"Oh. Oh man. I was so close to being dead." Brian was freaking out. "Where is that guy? I'll show him!"

"Calm down, Brian. We have to get out of here?" Jarod asked.

"How?"

"Yeah, how is Wonder Boy going to get us out?" Miss Parker, of course.

"Okay. I'll get us out of here. One thing, Miss Parker?"

"Yes."

"Would you quit calling me Wonder Boy."

****

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Broots was in a state of true panic. He and Sydney hade been working all day and night to try and find Miss Parker and Jarod. Lyle had come back to the Centre. Broots had no idea how he got there, but he wasn't going to question him now. Lyle was still in pain from his wound and he was now fast asleep in his office. Sydney was sleeping at the desk when the phone rang. Sydney jerked awake and grabbed the phone.

"This is Sydney."

"Sydney, it's Kyle."

"Did you find them yet?" Sydney asked.

"No,we haven't." Kyle said.

"Damn it. Kyle we're running out of time." Sydney said.

"Do you think I don't know that?" Kyle said, starting to get angry " Look, it's not just Miss Parker out there. My brother's there too!"

Lyle was sick of just sitting there listening to the two men arguing. He got up slowly and grabbed the phone away from Sydney.

"Kyle, I know where they are." he said.

"What are you talking about, Lyle?"

"Remember when I captured you and Jarod? Didn't I hold you guys in a warehouse in a small town?"

"What are you trying to say, Lyle?" Kyle asked.

"I know that they're in southern Maine because they can't cross the border and they don't want to be seen close to it. I've crossed out most of the big cities and towns. These are the remaining towns, Lyman, Hollis, Saco, Arundel, Old Orchard, Limington, and Dayton."

"We don't have time to check them all." Kyle said.

"We don't have any other choice. Just search as many as you can."

"All right. I'll try." Kyle said as he hung up.

****

Back at the Warehouse
Dayton, Maine

Brian, Jarod, and Miss Parker were still in the warehouse. Jarod was trying to work the lock of a window. Brian and Miss Parker were just hanging around watching him. Jarod banged on the window in fustration.

"Jarod, give it a rest already." Brian said.

"Why don't you just break the window?" Miss Parker said annoyed.

"Do you want to do this? If I could break the window, I'd break it. I'm trying everything I can right now." Jarod said angrily. Miss Parker was about to come back with a snppy remark when Brian shut her up.

"Shh! Jarod, look." Brian said, pointing at the lock door. Miss Parker and Brian froze in terror while Jarod grabbed a vase that was laying on the floor. As the door opened, Jarod threw the vase at the figure in the dark doorway.

"Hey, watch it!" the man shouted.

"Kyle?" Jarod asked.

"Oh my God, Jarod is that you?" Kyle asked then to the people behind him he yelled,"Guys, they're in here!

"All right, can we just get out of here?" Miss Parker asked. As Kyle led the way through the dark to where he park the car, Brian began to wonder.

"Kyle, where is my brother?"

"I'm right here." Rob said.

"Rob!" Brian cried.

"I thought I'd never see you again." Rob said crying.

"Let's go you two." Jarod said.

Kyle was walking but was struck down by a branch. Jeff held Rob at gunpoint and Mike grabbed Kyle. Miss Parker and Brian looked on in shock as a new gunmen came at them with his gun drawn. Jarod stepped in front of them to protect them with his own body.

"Jarod, who is that guy?" Miss Parker asked.

"What you don't reconise me?" the man said.

"Jude!" Jarod said in unfriendly reconision.

"Very good, at least you remember." Jude said laughing.

" I see that yor following in your brother's footsteps." Jarod said.

"My brother's dead. He went too far in the crime business." Jude said.

" Look, let them all go. Just take me." Jarod said. Nick whispered to Jeff and Mike and the two released their hostages. To the others he said,"Go. I'll be all right."

"Jarod, I'm not leaving you here." Kyle said and ran to Jarod's side. Jude, Jeff, and Mike all had their guns pointed at the brothers.

"Just go. I don't want you getting killed for me. I can handle this and I need you to protect Brian and the others." Jarod said.

"But Jarod.."

"I said GO!" Jarod yelled.

Kyle turned to leave. He motioned for Brian, Miss Parker, and Rob to go in front of him. Kyle turned back to face his brother. Jarod mouthed the word 'Go!' Kyle nodded sadly and turned to follow the others.

Nick whispered to Jeff and then Jeff raised his gun and shot Kyle in the back. Kyle fell forward to the ground. Jarod shook free of his captors and ran to his brother. The gunmen ran away into the woods. Miss Parker and Brian were already by Kyle. Brian had taken off his shirt and placed it under Kyle's head. Brian and Miss Parker shook their heads sadly as they saw Jarod approach.

"No." Jarod said softly.

"Jarod, I'm...." Brian started.

"Leave me alone." Jarod said and ran into the woods.

"Jarod! Jarod!" Miss Parker yelled out to him. He didn't reply.

"Come on. Let's go." Rob said softly as he turned and headed for the car.

****

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker entered Sydney's office at about 9:00pm. She collapsed in the chair in front of the desk. Sydney just stared at her until Broots and Lyle walked in.

"Miss Parker, I'm so glad your all right." Broots said, showing signs of relief.

"Hey sis, are you all right?" Lyle said, seeing the sadden look on her face.

"Yes. I need to call Thomas, to let him know I'm all right." she said and left the office.

***

Undisclosed Location

Jarod sat in his new apartment, staring blindly out the window. The phone suddenly rang and Jarod ran to answer it.

"Hello."

"Jarod, it's me." the voice said.

"Brian? How did you get my number?" Jarod asked.

"That doesn't matter. I want you to meet me at the store on the corner. I have something for you."

Later that day, Jarod met Brian at the store. They all walked in silence until they reached a nearby park. Jarod watched some kids playing on the swings, then he shook head and turned to face Brian.

"Why did you call me here, Brian?" Jarod asked.

"Look, I was there when Kyle died. He told Miss Parker to go and he gave me this." Brian handed Jarod, Kyle's Flying Cross medal and a blue notebook. Jarod started to cry as he accepted the items.

"He told me to give you these. I didn't know what they were but he told me that you would." Brian then turned to leave but Jarod called out to him.

"Brian!"

"Yeah!" he replied.

"Thanks." Jarod turned and walked away.



On A Day Like Today
by
Bryan Adams

Free is all you gotta be
Dream dreams no one else can see
Sometimes you wanna run away
but ya never know what might be comin' around your way

On a day like today
The whole world could change
The sun's gonna shine
Shine through the rain
On a day like today
You never wanna see the sun go down
You never wanna see the sun go down

Somewhere there's a place for you
I know that you believe it too
Sometimes you wanna get away
All ya gotta know it that what we got is here to stay

On a day like today
The whole world could change
The sun's gonna shine
Shine through the rain
On a day like today
No one complains
free to be pure, free to be sane
On a day like today
You never wanna see the sun go down
You never wanna see the sun go down