Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own them, NBC does.

Note to reader: This is part 5 of the "MUSICAL SERIES". I changed my mind, these stories will be about the adventures of Jarod, Kyle, and maybe even Emily. Remember the titles are still song titles.Sorry but I don't have the words to this one song. I just heard it once on the radio while I was writing this.
P.S. Please see also
Part 1: Sailing
Part 2: Long Way From Happiness
Part 3: Live Like Horses
Part 4: Can't Stop This Thing (I) We Started
Part 5: Not Guilty




"Musical" Series
Part 6
The Power
By A.H. Crocker






Chapter 1

My name is Tobias.

Just Tobias.

No, I will not tell you my last name or where I live. Not until the Yeerks are gone. We didn't know that this next mission would get us involved with two men that would change our lives. If you are wonder who 'WE' are, I'll tell you.

First there's Jake. He's sort of the leader of the group. He didn't ask to be the leader but he just has the ability to make decisions. He also knows that in making those decisions, any or all of us could be killed. Tom, Jake's brother is a Controller.

Now to Marco. He's sort of the sense of humor in the group. Whenever we are on a mission he's always telling us that the idea is insane. He'll find the humor in any situation, most of the time. Jake is his best friend.

Cassie is the nature lover of the group. Both of her parents are vets so it's hard for her to not love animals. She gets us access to animals to aquire. Jake and Cassie have a thing going with them.

Rachel is the bravest girl I know. Marco calls Rachel Xena, Warrior Princess. The name fits her well. She brave but she can be reckless at times. I still admire her.

Then there is one of the weirdest members of the Animorphs. We call him Ax but his real name is Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill. He's an Andalite. An Andalite is sort of a cross between a blue deer, a scorpian, and a human. He was stuck here on Earth when his ship crashed into the sea. We found him a few months later.

Then there's me. Tobias. I used to be this shy kid who got beat up a lot. Used to be. Now I have wings and spend my time riding the thermals. I'm a red-tailed hawk with the mind of a boy.

I know what your saying. How the heck did you become a hawk? Well, it happened when an Andalite named Elfangor crash landed on Earth. He was Ax's brother, and my real father. He gave me and my friends the power to morph into any animal we touch. You can't stay in morph for more than two hours or you will become trapped. That's what happened to me. But a powerful being called the Ellimist gave me back my morphing powers.

I was out fying one day when I spotted a peregrine falcon. I had a close call that morning with a bobcat and I didn't want a fight with a falcon. But I had a feeling I knew this bird.

I called out.

Jake said.

I said.

Jake said, growing serious.

I asked

Jake said.

I said.

Jake said.

I said and turned a sharp left and flew away to find Ax.


Meanwhile:

Jarod had just come home from a busy day as a tour guide. He was going to ask Kyle if he wanted anything before they left the state but he wasn't there. He walked into the kitchen and saw a mess. It looked like the place had been robbed. Jarod noticed a letter on the table. It said

Dear Lab Rat Jarod,
We have your brother. He's alive but he won't be for long if you don't give yourself up.
Anonymous

Jarod was shocked. He read the letter again and noticed a picture was taped to the back. It was of Kyle locked in his cell with two sweepers on the outside of his door. Jarod knew he had to save him. He packed up and left his apartment.

Chapter 2

"So what are we going to do?" Rachel asked. We were all at Cassie's barn aka Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. The cages here were filled with everything from small birds to wolves.

"I think we should fly there and check it out because we need to see if we can sneak in as bugs or if we need to go in another way." Jake said.

"All right, we should go tomorrow. We have an assembly last period, so we can bail out then and have the whole weekend to visit the Centre." Cassie said.

>I need a bug morph, Cassie. Do you think you can get me a fly to aquire?< I asked.

"Sure, Tobias." Cassie said.

Ax had stayed silent. I knew why. He goes along with Jake. He calls Jake his prince.

"Let's vote." Jake said.

In the end it was unanimous. All six of us agreed to go. Actually Marco had disagreed but Rachel pinned him and sat on him until he changed his mind.

Chapter 3

We flew to the Centre. It actually wasn't that far away. We were split up into three teams. One in the front of the building, one out back, and one above it. I was with Rachel, Jake was with Marco, and Cassie was with Ax. We kept within thought-speak range.

>Ax, do you see any of those Gleet Biofilter things?< Jake asked.

>No, Prince Jake.<

>Don't call me prince.<

>Yes, Prince Jake.Let's land on the roof and go in though the air vents.< I said.

>All right. Since it's an air vent and since the only bug morph Tobias has is a fly, we should all go fly.Well, are we just going to talk about it or are we going in. Let's do it.< Rachel said.

>Well, Rachel's ready to go.< Macro said. They demorphed and then remorphed to fly. Let's just say turning into a fly is gross but being a fly is cool. The only problem is the compound eyes making it hard to see. We flew down into the vents.

>We're in.< Jake said.

>Oh goody.< That was Marco of course.

Chapter 4

After a few twists and turns, we finally saw a light where there was an opening in the vent. We flew in and hung on the ceiling. We weren't sure if we should demorph or not.

>I'll demorph first.< Ax said. He slowly demorphed. Then I heard his voice again. >There's a human in here. He's asleep but I don't know when he'll wake up.<

>Morph to human, Ax. Tobias, you too. I think it's safe to demorph, as long as that guy doesn't wake up.< Jake said. We demorphed. When I had human eyes, I saw a man laying in the bed. He looked like he was in his late twenties. I decided to look around while the others figured out what to do. I looked under the bed and saw several blue notebooks. I also saw a picture of an older man. He looked about thirty and I realized that this had to be this man's brother. Suddenly, the man stirred and woke up.

"Who are you?" he asked.

Cassie decided to talk to him. She was better at that sort of thing then any of us. "My name's Cassie. This is Jake, Rachel, Marco, Ax, and Tobias."

"My name's Kyle. Are you other kids that were brought here?" He seemed like he was afriad of us.

"No. Why are you here?" Cassie asked.

"I was kidnapped from my apartment. I'm the bait that the Centre is using to catch my brother." Kyle said. I reached down and picked up the photo that I had seen earlier.

"Is this him?" I said and handed the picture to Kyle.

"Yes, I know that he's coming for me, but they'll kill me as soon as they have Jarod." Kyle said. I saw that he was on the verge of crying. To my surprise, it was Jake who spoke up next.

"Kyle, we'll get you and your brother back together. I promise you that. I lost my brother and I won't let anyone rip brothers apart, not while I live."

"Neither will I." I said.

"Me neither." Cassie said.

"I agree." Macro replied

"Same here." Rachel said.

"I too have lost a brother and I have to agree with Prince Jake." Ax said.

"Jake, do you think we can trust him with our secret?" Cassie whispered to Jake. "We can't get him out of here unless we do."

"Your right. We're just going to have to trust him." Jake said. "Kyle, do you promise not to tell anyone what we're about to tell you?"

"Yes." Kyle said.
"All right Ax, demorph." Jake said.

Ax slowly demorphed. I looked at Kyle to see his reaction. At first he was fine but then he completely lost it when Ax's tail and stalk eyes appeared. Kyle's eye's widened,his mouth dropped open and he just stared.

>Is he ok, Prince Jake? I'm afraid I scared him.< Ax said.

I demorphed. Once I was fully hawk, I fluttered over on the bed next to Kyle. >Kyle, are you ok?We call ourselves the Animorphs. We were given the power by an Andalite prince named Elfangor. He was Ax's brother. He gave us the power to change into any animal. We use this power to fight an alien race of paracites called the Yeerks. Ax is an Andalite.< I said.

"What are you?" Kyle asked me.

>I was trapped in my morph during a battle. Now I'm stuck in the body of a hawk but I can still morph.< I said. >Now we have to get out of here. Cassie, I hate to ask you but can you get rid of the guards?They're gone, but I had to rip one guys pants to get the key out of his pocket. He had on Bugs Bunny boxers.< she said laughing.

She demorphed and unlocked the door. Kyle was the first one out the door. One problem, we had no idea were to go.

"Kyle, do you know where we're going?" Jake asked.

"We're going to someplace safe. Sydney's office." Kyle said

We ran down the hall and into a room. There was a man sitting there that looked about fifty-five, maybe even older. He looked up and seemed surprised.

"Kyle, what are you doing here and who are these kids?" Sydney asked in surprise.

"I was kidnapped and brought here as bait to capture Jarod. These kids here rescued me. This is Jake, Rachel, Marco, Cassie, Ax, and Tobias." Kyle said and turned to leave when a man and a woman came in.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, then to Sydney she said, "We have a break in sercurity. We think Jarod has broken into the Centre but we don't know why. Broots says that there is also a wolf running around into the Centre. It bit Willie's butt and chased Sam all the way down to SL-12."

I laughed to myself. Cassie had chased the guards away. I looked at her and saw her smile.

Kyle whispered to Jake and then turned to leave. Then the woman pulled out a gun and aimed it at Kyle. "You're not going anywhere, Kyle."

"Miss Parker!" Sydney shouted. I saw Rachel duck behind Jake, Cassie, and Marco. The next thing I saw was a wolf fly out from behind Jake, right towards Miss Parker.

>Kyle, get out of here! Jake stay with him. Cassie and Tobias, find Jarod. Ax and Marco, morph to wolf and follow me.< Rachel ordered. No one even hesitated.

I ran out the door with Cassie right behind me. We turned three corners before we met up with Jake and Kyle. Together we ran down two more halls and were a hundred feet from the exit when two sweepers showed up, blocking the exit.

"Kyle's coming with us." one of them said and reached out to grab him. Cassie and I had the same idea. We both stepped in front of Kyle so the sweeper couldn't get him. "Fine, I'll take you instead." He grabbed Cassie by her arm and started to drag her.

"Cassie!" I cried and ran to get her. The second sweeper grabbed me.

"Cassie! Tobias!" Jake cried and started to run towards us but Kyle held him back.

"Jake! Jake!" Cassie cried.

Chapter 5

They dragged us down the hall and into a small room. They threw us roughly in and locked the door.

"Who are you?" We turned around to find a man sitting on a bed. He looked familair, then I recalled the picture in Kyle's room.

"Jarod?" I asked.

"How do you know my name?" Jarod asked.

"We found your picture when we rescued your brother."

"Is he okay?" Jarod asked

"Kyle's safe. By the way my name's Tobias and this is Cassie." I said.

We heard noises outside the door. I dragged Cassie under the bed and we listened. A young man with a glove over one hand came into the room.

"Well, who have we here? If it isn't Jarod the pretender. The genius who can be anyone he wants to be." A voice said mockingly.

"If you think you can get away with this..." Jarod started to say. I was afriad for Jarod. This man didn't looked like someone to mess with. The man just smiled at Jarod and it wasn't a nice smile.

"I already have gotten away with it. I have your brother and you. Now I will be in charge of the Centre. Still, I wish I could have seen your face when you saw that your brother was gone." the man said.

"Lyle, your plan has only one flaw." Jarod said, smiling.

"What's that?" Lyle said, no longer smiling.

"You don't have my brother. He escaped from his cell and is somewhere in the Centre." Jarod said, smirking.

Lyle grabbed Jarod and threw him to the floor. I was going to crawl out from under the bed to help Jarod but just then something happened.

BANG! Suddenly, there was no door but Rachel. Not the Rachel with blond hair and blue eyes, but the Rachel with brown fur and sharp claws. Rachel was in grizzly bear morph and she knocked down the door.

'Way to be subtle, Rachel.' I thought as I ran for the door. Jarod was the first one out the door. He made it two steps before the two sweepers recovered and grabbed him. One of them grabbed his gun and put it to Jarod's head.

"Don't move or I swear I'll kill you." Willie said. Jarod stood very still.

>Tobias, demorph. We need firepower.< Rachel said.

I demorphed. Once I was fully hawk, I took to the air. It was hard with the ceiling over my head but I tried anyway. I quickly found the others. Jake was in tiger morph. Ax and Cassie were in wolf morph. Marco was a gorilla but he was holding a gun. Everyone was staying back, away from Marco. They grouped together with Macro out front, Ax and Cassie were behind him, and Jake and Rachel took up the rear. I landed on Marco's shoulder as he talked to the sweepers.

>Now, we came to get Jarod and we're not leaving until we get him.< Marco said.

"Your not going to get him." Willie said.

>All right, I've had enough. Tobias, can you please get rid of the guy with the gun?< Marco asked.

>No problem.< I said.

"Tseeeeer!" I screamed as I attacked. Willie screamed as my talons raked across his face.

>Jarod, follow me!< Cassie cried.

"Cassie?" Jarod asked.

>Yes, I'll explain later. Let's go!< Cassie said. Jarod ran after Cassie and I flew overhead. The others took off in different directions. We forgot one thing. We forgot that the other sweeper also had a gun. Sam raised his gun, aimed it at Jarod, and pulled the trigger.

"Ahhhhhhhh!" Jarod screamed as the bullet entered his shoulder.

>Jarod!< I screamed.

"I'm okay, just go." he cried. The two of us ran. Cassie had gotten ahead of of us and had morphed to horse. I told Jarod to get on the horse as we found our way out of the Centre.

We traveled a couple of miles before we reached an abandoned apartment building. Jarod was still riding Cassie, clutching his injured shoulder. I flew inside to see Jake, Rachel, and Marco sitting at a very old kitchen table. Ax was standing near the door as the three of us walked in. I demorphed when I got inside.

"Tobias, what happened?" Jake said.

>One of the sweepers shot him as we were escaping. We need to get him to a hospital.< I said.

"I'll be fine." Jarod said. The door opened behind us.

"Jarod?" a voice said.

"Kyle?" Jarod asked. Kyle ran to Jarod and we all watched as they embraced each other. Suddenly, Jarod collapsed. A second before he would have hit the floor, Marco and Kyle caught him.

"What's happening to him?" Rachel asked.

"He's passed out from the loss of blood. He'll be fine if I can stop the bleeding. Marco, hand me that towel." Kyle said.

Jarod was unconscious for about an hour before he woke up. He sat up and looked around.

"Kyle. He's awake." Jake said.

"Where am I and who are you?" Jarod asked.

"My name is Jake. This is Rachel, Ax, and Marco. I believe you already met Cassie and Tobias. We rescued you and Kyle from the Centre and your safe, for now."

"We have to get out of here." Jarod said. He started to stand up but the pain of his wound made him fall back on the couch.

"Not until your shoulder's better." I said.

"Tobias, I understand that your just trying to help. I thank you all for what you did for me and Kyle but you don't know what your getting into. They will kill you if they learn who you are."

"Well, that sounds familair." Rachel said.

"Jarod, your not the only ones that feel that way." Cassie said. I knew what she was going to do. No one stopped her as she told the secret that we had guarded for almost a year. We all listened as she told of the Andalite named Elfangor who gave us the power to morph into animals. Then she told the two brothers about why we were given this power.

"They are called the Yeerks. They are parasites that crawl into your ear and control your mind. We fight them to protect the planet from Yeerk control. The Yeerks think we are a bunch of Andalites. If they found out we were human kids, they would kill us." Cassie said.

"But your just kids. I thought I had it rough, running from the Centre all the time." Jarod said.

We let Jarod sleep a while. We talked with Kyle and decided where they should go. After Jarod woke up we said good-bye and as the two brothers turned to leave.

"Good-bye guys and thanks again from everything you've done for us." Jarod said. They started to leave but then Kyle turned around.

"Tobias, here's my number. If you guys need anything, call us."

"Here's my number if you need us." I said as I handed him a card. I added as a joke"if you can't get that number, just dial 1-800-Animorph."

Kyle laughed as their car pulled away. We, the Animorphs, morphed and headed home.

I got a call from Jake the next day. He said that he overheard his brother saying that the plan at the Centre was blown. Since Jarod escaped, they couldn't do what they were planning on doing. I decided that there was no way that Visser Three would give up, so I had made sure that Jarod and Kyle were never captured.