Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



The Paths We Take
part I
By Amanda Haun




copyright 1999

The camera shows an empty hallway intersection. The camera then shows Sydney Walking down a hallway and approaching Jarod’s cell with two men guarding the door and two more men coming out of the room.

As Sydney turned the corner to Jarod’s cell he noticed two men, which he did not recognize coming out of Jarod’s cell. Sydney waited till the two men turned around a corner to approach the cell. The two men guarding Jarod were two sweepers in black suits with black ties and gold color buttons down their arms. As Sydney walked up to the men the sweeper on the left took out a card and swiped it through and punched in a four diget code.

The darken steel door slid open. There was nothing but darkness only a single but dull light in the middle of the room hanging over a stainless steel table and a chair pushed in. On the left was a metal toilet with two dull white pipes in front of it going from the floor to the ceiling. Sydney looked around and saw no one.

"Jarod" Sydney yelled.

"Yes" a weak voice from the corner said.

"Come out where I can see you Jarod"

"Why " he asked his voice getting a bit angry.

"So I can talk with you" " really, his voice getting stronger.

"Now what would you want to talk to me about unless you want something from me" there was a slight pause and then: "Well what do you want?" He asked again his voice getting irritated.

"I want you to help me save Miss Parker"

Jarod faced him and laughed, "you want me to help you save Miss Parker that's a good one"

"Jarod please you are the only chance she got".

"Why in hell would I want to help you or her?". Sydney paused a moment and looked at him with sad eyes and said: "because Jarod that's what you do you help people when they need your help, now someone needs your help, {a pause} will you help me Jarod?".

All the while Jarod had never stepped into the light why was this Sydney asked himself.

"Jarod"

"I’m thinking"

"step into the light "

"why"

"I haven't seen your face yet"

Jarod walked into the light to reveal belt marks across his face and neck.

"Oh my god Jarod what did they do to you"

"This is the price I paid for escaping"

"I will give you an hour to think about it meanwhile I’ll have a Nurse come in and take care of those wounds."

Sydney left, about ten mins later a Lady came in, she was dressed in the usual Nurse uniform with white shoes and a little white hat. She came in rolling a Cart in front of her it had gauze, antiseptic, needles and more first aid stuff. As she came in one of the sweepers guarding the door came in with her. He stood next to the door in the corner.

The nurse came in and said " Hi I’m Tabitha would you please sit down in the chair" Jarod complied and sat down.

She took out some gauze and a white bottle. She poured some of the antiseptic on the gauze and started to clean his wounds

"This will sting a bit " she said as she put it on his face.

"Ouch!!" He said with a scream.

"I told you it would sting". After a while the nurse and the sweeper left the room, Sydney walked in.

" Jarod have you thought it over?"

A pause.

"Will you…"

"Yes I will help, but what do I get out of this?"

Sydney looked at him, leaned forward and whispered " freedom"

Jarod looked at him and said "This is just one of the Centre’s tricks isn't it?"

"No Jarod I’m going to let you escape"

"What, they will know that it was you Sydney and they probably will kill you for it"

"They won't kill me Jarod, I’m to important for that, they probably will just brain wash me ".

"No I won't do it"

"Jarod you will do it, here is an address where you can perform the surgery on Miss Parker and here is a copy of her medical report"

Sydney handed him the report and started to walk out of the room.

"How will Iget there Sydney?"

"Here are car keys to a car in parking lot 'ad' of the hospital parking…

{there was a pause and then Sydney said}

"Jarod will you do me a favor and take Miss Parker with you when you escape".

Jarod looked at him with a surprised face and said "Why, she will not like it at all".

"I know but she can't be like she is anymore she needs to be free of the Centre and you can help her do that. She has some family in Atlanta, Georgia you can take her there if she will let you"

"Sydney which side of her family?"

"Her mothers" Sydney then walked out of the room and the door slid shut.

Jarod studied Miss Parker’s medical report and concluded what needed to be done. He put the keys and the paper with the address for where the surgery will take place in his pocket. He then put the medical report behind the toilet so if anyone came in they would not suspect anything. About an hour later Sydney came in with the two sweepers and they took Jarod by the arms and escorted him out to Sydney’s car as Sydney drove off he handed Jarod another piece of paper.

"This is the address where Miss Parker’s grandmother lives. Tell her who you are she's expecting you"

Jarod took the paper and put it in his pocket. As they drove by the hospitals parking lot, he pointed where the car was.

"That is the car"

Jarod looked and said " I’ll remember" he pulled out the keys and looked at them, he noticed a third key. " what is this key for Sydney?"

"That is the key to unlock the bolt of the hospital where you will take Miss Parker"

"I take it has be abandoned"

"Yes it still has all the equipment that you will need to do the surgery they keep it locked up so no one can steal the equipment inside".

They parked and got out of the car they walked in to the hospital and saw a hallway full of people going in and out nurses pushing people in wheel chairs people on cruches, etc.

Sydney said "Follow me" he motioned to follow and started walking down a hallway they walked into a hallway that was dead quiet with a nurse pushing an old man in a wheel chair to his room. Sydney showed him where Miss Parker’s room was and walked in. It was a dull white room with a large window over looking the park across the street. Jarod walked to the window, there was kids bouncing a big red ball, back and forth. Jarod smiled and turned toward Miss Parker. Sydney was sitting down next to her and was looking at Jarod.

"I will go and check her out I will be back in a few moments. "

Jarod watched him leave and then stuck his head out the door way and saw him talking with a nurse at the desk. He turned back toward Miss Parker and saw this fragile person there she was so strong but now she was so vulnerable and helpless.

"I hope you will go with me"

He whispered to him self. He sat down in a chair in front of her bed and waited until Sydney came back.

A few moments later Sydney walked in and said "she's ready to go"

Jarod got a wheelchair from the corner and rolled it next to her bed and uncovered her. She was only wearing a hospital gown and white socks on her feet. Sydney handed Jarod some hospital pants he had gotten from the nurse

"You want me to put them on her"

"Why not" Sydney said with a laugh

"I will get a nurse"

Jarod walked out and asked the nurse for her assistance

"Would you do me a favor and put these on my friend I don't feel right doing it" the nurse laughed and took the pants from his hands

She walked in and said to Sydney

"Would you please leave the room, for her privacy?"

Sydney nodded and stepped out two mins later the nurse walked out and said: "she's ready"

"Thank you", Jarod said he walked in, picked her up and put her into the wheel chair. He unlocked the brakes and wheeled her out of the hospital

Sydney said "Now go to the elevator and leave you have five mins "

Jarod looked at him and said " Thanks for your help"

Sydney nodded and said " no Jarod thank you"

Jarod pushed the button for the elevator and waited for it to open .the doors opened, they got in and Jarod pushed a button for the parking lot

Jarod had remembered where the car was when Sydney showed him and he rushed toward it, he took out the keys and unlocked the doors to the back. He took of his jacket and made it into a pillow and put Miss Parker’s head on it. As he was getting ready to shut the door he noticed her shivering, he opened up the trunk and saw a blue fleece blanket he took it and wrapped Miss Parker in it and shut the door. He got in and started the car. He drove to a corner where he could see the front entrance. He saw Sydney being taken away by two sweepers and Mr. Raines walking behind them, wheeling his breath of life.

He hit the stirring wheel and said: "No!"

He waited until the cars left and then drove down and around the corner. He stopped at a gas station and bought some T-shirts, jeans and a fleece Jacket, some soda, some ready made sandwiches {in the triangle shapes}. As he was getting ready to pay for the stuff he noticed a bugs bunny PEZ on the counter, "May I have one of those please" he said to the clerk, he was Asian with black hair and tan skin.

"Sure you like those things?"

"Oh yes they taste good really good" he said with a smile has he was walking out the door.

He came to the car and got in he looked behind him to check on Miss Parker. She was still unconscious. He put the bag on the passengers seat and took out a PEZ And popped one into his mouth. He looked at it and laughed. He started the car and drove to the address that Sydney gave him. As he drove up he noticed the building was in need of repair the grass was all brown and the bushes were dead and brown. The building was a dirty stucco white. A few windows were broken. There was a 8 foot high gray fence sounding the building.

Jarod drove the car to the front and parked it along the side. At the front entrance was a chain wrapped around the poles to the fences and a silver pad lock on it. He got out and walked over to the gate, he took the keys from his pocket and unlocked the bolt he pushed open the gate and walked back to the car. He opened the door and picked Miss Parker up she was still wrapped in the blue fleece blanket that he had put on her earlier. He walked through the gate and placed Miss Parker on the steps to the entrance he went back and got the stuff he bought from the store and he closed the gate and locked it.

****

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Where is he?" Mr. Raines wheezed as he looked at Sydney. He was in the same cell Jarod had been in earlier. Sydney was tied up in a chair his wrists ached from the rope they used to tie him. Sydney looked at him with angry eyes.

"I don't know" he said.

Mr. Raines nodded to one of the sweepers, the sweeper came up and punched Sydney.

"I don't know " he said his voice getting weaker almost to cry. The Sweeper came up again but this time knocked him unconscious.

*****

Angola, Delaware

As Jarod walked into the hospital he saw a sign that said surgery

This way {with an arrow pointing the direction} he followed the sign and came to a door with black letters above it saying operating room, and on the door in red letters authorized personnel only.

He pushed the door open…….


Please let me know what you think!