Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended


New Genesis
Part 2
By Holly






Three Weeks and Six days later
San Maria, Peru

Jarod drove to the small town that was overshadowed by large gray mountain peaks and vast green fields that lay all around it. He slowed his car down as he drove into the narrow lane and stopped in front of a small food store.

A thick, short man with dark gray hair, looked up from sweeping the floor, silently watching Jarod stepping out the car. The man put down his broom and slowly walked to the back counter.

Jarod smiled down at the man as he approached him and took off his sunglasses.

"Hola, me llamo Jarod. Me puede decir a donde vive Amelia Velasquez?"

The man looked blankly back at Jarod, then turned away from him. Jarod was bout to ask the man again; if he had seen Amelia Velasquez but was stopped short as he felt a cold object being pushed at his back. Jarod’s eyes widened in shock as he turned to see a long shot gun being pushed at his shoulder. His gaze traveled to a woman who was holding the gun as he looked into the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen.

The woman looked coldly back at the stranger, who curiously stared at her.

"Who the hell are you and what do you know about Amelia?" Jarod slowly rose his hands up and turned around to face her.

"My name is Jarod, and I’ve come to warn her that there is an organization that is after her." The woman with the incredible eyes still kept the gun aimed at him and pointed it at his head.

"Your too late!" She growled as she stared back at him and uncocked the safety. "Now tell me who you really are, or I’ll be the last thing you ever see."

Jarod looked down at those dark brown eyes that looked red in anger, and then his gaze quickly traveled to her smooth tanned skin and dark short hair and for some reason he didn’t mind that this vision would be the last thing he ever saw.

"Don’t get any bright ideas!" growled a voice from the doorway. Jarod looked up to see another man walking slowly towards them. He also had a gun but this one was a small nine-millimeter. The man walked with smooth grace and power. His physique matched that power by his large Six feet nine inch height. Jarod barely reached his head. The man’s hair was black as night and his dark blue eyes looked back at Jarod as he put his hand on the woman’s shoulder.

"It’s all right love, I think he’s telling the truth."

She nodded as she slowly put her gun down and stepped closer toward the man’s arms as he circled them around her shoulder.
Jarod’s eyes widened as he realized that they were obviously very close. Too bad, he thought to himself.

"I need to know, who took my sister?" The woman demanded as she interrupted his thoughts Jarod looked at both of them and knew that they had to be close to Amelia Velasquez.

"Can I at least get your names?"

Despite the woman’s six-foot height, she still had to look up at Jarod.

"My name is Sonia Mackenzy, Amelia is my sister and this is my husband Marcos." Jarod nodded to both of them. He looked back at the storeowner, who stood silently watching him. Sonia sensed Jarod's curiosity.

"That’s Edwardo, he was the one who called us by using the silent alarm system.’’

Jarod’s eyes widened in shock and nodded in greeting and the storeowner smiled back at him. Sonia turned back to him as she quickly went down to business.

"If you want privacy than you can come to our house. We should be able to talk there." Jarod shook his head as he walked out with them and drove towards a large two-story brick house.

The windows were lined with white drapes and the porch was large and had two swing chairs. They stepped out of the car and saw two children playing in the yard. Both children stopped what they were doing and ran towards their parents. Jarod looked at the young boy who resembled his father and then his gaze turned to the younger girl who jumped into her father’s arms.

Jarod observed the young girl in her father’s arms as he noted the dark brown eyes and the face that looked so much like her mother. But Jarod’s gaze instantly turned to a little girl who was calmly sitting on the porch-swing; she seemed to be ignoring her parents return. She had sad blue eyes and light brown hair, which was done in pigtails. The little girl was siting on the porch steps as she silently swung back and forth, clutching a small doll in her hands. Jarod eyes narrowed as he looked curiously at the solemn expression on the little girl’s face. Sonia followed his gaze, then looked away and squatted down to meet her two children’s gazes.

"I need to talk to this man in private. I want both of you to head over to Cecilia's house." She paused as her dark eyes narrowed at her son. "Nicholas I don’t want to hear you causing trouble again and don’t bother Tessy. Alright?" Both children nodded as they ran off. Sonia stood up as she looked back at them.

"I’ll pick both of you up in an hour!" She hollered and then looked back at Jarod, who was still staring, at her youngest child.

"That’s my daughter Margarita, she was with my sister when those bastards took her!"

"But how did she escape?"

Sonia looked sadly back at her youngest child.

"My sister convinced my daughter to sneak out of the house without her. Margarita is shocked that her aunt is missing and she blames herself for Amelia’s disappearance."

Jarod looked sadly back at the little girl and slowly walked towards her, with a look of concern on his face. As he approached Jarod sat down next to her and moved his head so he was facing her directly.

"Don’t worry little one. You’ll see your aunt again." Jarod whispered as he brushed a strand off hair from her face.

Margarita stared at the dark eyes that stared back at her with concern and she looked away.

"She’ll never come back." Margarita whispered. Jarod paused as he took her hands into his own.

"I know you’re aunt will be fine. I can rescue her and bring her back here. I promise." The little girls looked at Jarod with disbelief but then her eyes widened as she saw the strong look of determination in his dark eyes. Margarita slowly smiled at him.

Sonia had never seen her daughter take a liking to a stranger this fast before. She looked more closely at Jarod and then looked back at her husband who also noticed the strange change in her daughter.

"Let’s go inside." Sonia said as she walked over to Jarod. "We can talk in private in there." Sonia kissed her daughter’s head and made sure that as she went inside, she could still see her from inside the house.

Jarod stood away from the girl and followed Sonia and Marcos inside. The house was beautifully furnished inside with three large brown couches and TV screen on the far side of the wall. Beyond the living room lay the dinning room with its elegant brown mahogany table, it’s matching chairs and other furniture. Just beyond the dinning room lay the kitchen. Sonia invited Jarod to sit down as she and her husband sat across from him.

"Now tell me where my sister is?" Sonia demanded as she leaned closer to him and looked into his eyes. Jarod paused at the cold, hard-determined look in her eyes. He was surprised at how easy this woman seemed to be gentle at one moment and cold the next. He had a feeling he shouldn’t underestimate her, there was something about her.

"Look I need to know where Amelia is, she could be in terrible danger while were sitting her doing nothing!" Sonia growled as she slammed her fists on the coffee table. Jarod shook away his thoughts and stared back at her.

"You sister was taken by an organization known as the Centre. They are trying to re-create the project Genesis."

"NO!" Sonia gasped as her brown eyes narrowed and turned into their strange shade of red.
"THOSE FOOOLS!" Marcos said as he grabbed his wife’s hand to support her.

Jarod sighed as he looked at both of them.

"I take it you know all about the Genesis project that was done three years ago?"

Sonia nodded and stood up, to walk upstairs as Marcos looked back at Jarod.

"Yes we were the ones who tried to stop it."

Jarod's eyes widened in shock.

"But there were no witnesses other than the staff and your sister in law when the prodigy destroyed himself."

Marcos looked sadly at the family picture that stood on the right side of him. Jarod followed his gaze as he looked at the family photo. It was taken in front of this house. There was a woman whose arm was draped around Sonia’s, while Marco’s was on her right. The woman had long black hair that looked to reach down her waist. She had light brown eyes, her oval face was a light tan color and her lips were full, as she looked happy and carefree.

"So that’s Amelia Velasquez?"

Marcos silently nodded as he picked up the photo.

"Yes, this picture was taken ten years ago, when Amelia had just started working for the Biotech Corporation."

Jarod paused as he was about to ask more but a voice interrupted.

"My sister didn’t know what she was getting into when she started the Genesis project." Sonia whispered as she walked over to Jarod with the files in her hands. "These are the only files that have any record of Lucas’ existence on this earth. The prodigy, as you call him, was only a boy, who had to deal with his telekinetic abilities." Sonia said as she placed the file in Jarod's hands.

He opened the file to reveal a picture of a young boy with brown hair and deep blue eyes. His expression looked melancholy and in that instant Jarod knew what the boy had felt, living all alone with no one to turn too. He gritted his teeth in anger and despair as he looked at the picture. Then he looked sadly back at Sonia and Marcos.

"I—I didn’t know! I only found one file on the project and there was no clue as to the prodigie’s identity."

"No one knew, except, my husband, Amelia and I." Sonia said as she looked over his shoulder at the picture of Lucas.

"Bu—But, how could your sister stand by and let it happen?"

Sonia stood away from him as she scowled.

"Look at the next picture," Sonia ordered.

Jarod looked back at the file as he flipped to the next picture to reveal Lucas actually smiling up at Amelia who was lovingly looking down at him as her arms were draped around him, in a warm hug. Jarod flipped through other pictures of both of them laughing and sitting by a pond.

"How?"

Sonia looked sadly down at the floor and began to explain.

"As you know, my sister worked at Biotech for seven years. A year into working there, my sister had done experiments on apes and chimpanzees. She was able to use a special drug that stimulated part of the brain, causing the chimpanzee to have telekinetic abilities." Sonia scowled darkly as she thought about her sister’s experiment.

"At that time neither I or my husband had any knowledge of what Amelia was doing. Biotech was keeping all of this secret from us and Amelia knew I’d be against this."

Jarod's eyes narrowed in anger.

"So Amelia went on with her experiment, despite the consequences?"

Sonia shook her head.

"No, my sister was very gullible and naïve at that time. She had just graduated from MIT with her Ph.D. and thought she knew everything there was to know about the world. She didn’t think she’d need my approval in what she was doing." Sonia sighed and rubbed her temple as she sat back down next to her husband.

"When she succeeded in her experiment with the chimpanzee, Biotech wanted to go on the next level and test the drug on humans, but my sister refused to do it. At that time she was too valuable to Biotech to fire her, so they had Dr. Francis Carter hold the experiments in secret without her knowledge of it."

Sonia’s hands balled into fists as her husband squeezed her hands.

"That bastard, Carter had used artificial insemination to create Lucas who had the curse of telekinetic abilities."

Sonia picked up the picture and looked sadly back at the smiling boy who was looking lovingly at Amelia.

"Once Lucas was four years old his powers began to grow at an alarming rate. He was able to escape from the security area were he lived and sneaked off." Sonia paused as she stared at the smiling face of her sister.

"When he tried to escape that first time, he met my sister and that’s when Amelia realized who and what Lucas really was." Marcos nodded as he placed his arms around his wife, since she couldn’t go on and then he went on to explain.

"When they found Lucas they were able to tranquilize him and take him away. Once Amelia found out the whole truth she had gone to John Standfield, the CEO of Biotech, and demanded that he either let Lucas go or she would report him to the authorities." Marcos scowled in anger, as he’s blue eyes seemed to glitter in fury.

"But that bastard threatened Amelia that if they went down she would go down with him. And if Amelia went down so would Mackenzy Industries." Jarod paused in shock as he had heard of the large conglomerate. Then his gaze turned towards them as he recognized them and he looked at Marcos.

"You’re the CEO of Mckenzy Industries." He then turned his gaze to Sonia. "And you’re the president of the company?!" They both nodded and Sonia looked sadly back at him.

"And that peace of slime knew that if Amelia went to jail, Mackenzy Industries would be ruined with all the scandal it would cause."

Jarod paused in shock and then Sonia’s face darkened as she growled in anger.

"But we wouldn’t have given a damn about the scandal. Unfortunately, my sister did and she cared enough about us, that she relented and stayed quiet about the whole thing for two years." Jarod looked sadly at both of there tormented expressions.

"So Biotech kept up with there experiment and Amelia was unable to do anything about it?"

Sonia’s eyes watered with tears as she sighed and looked at her hands.

"Amelia did everything she could for the boy. She felt this was all her fault so she made sure, that she got to see Lucas as much as possible. She even sneaked him out of the compound one day and took him to the local park. That’s were those pictures were taken."

Sonia’s tears came down as she remembered how things had gotten worse after that.

"Unfortunately, Biotech retaliated by restricting Amelia from ever seeing Lucas again. They moved him to an undisclosed location that Amelia wasn’t able to find. That night my sister was so frantic that she finally called me and told me she needed my help. She told me everything and so I hacked into their main frame computer and was able to get the information on Lucas’ whereabouts."

Sonia gritted her teeth as she exhaled, causing her voice to sound horse.

"They kept him at a secret compound in Alaska. So my sister and I decided that we would go there and get Lucas out." Sonia paused as she looked lovingly at her husband. "I promised her I wouldn’t say anything to my husband and so I quietly left that night." Sonia looked away as she stared at the family photo of her sister.

"We were able to sneak past their front gate but as we headed down to the front of the complex we began to hear the alarm go off."

Jarod's eyes narrowed as he looked curiously back at her. Sonia sighed and put the picture of her sister on the table.

"Something terrible was going on and at first my sister and I thought that Lucas had escaped but it was more than that." Sonia paused as her husband stood up to get a drink for all of them. "At that moment we hurried past the front door of the compound and sneaked down the dark corridors. But—but as we walked further into the compound we found dead bodies of five security men on the floor. They’re necks had been broken and that’s when I had a strong suspicion that Lucas may have had a hand in the murder." Sonia’s eyes watered in tears.

"I—I couldn’t tell my sister about my suspicions, even though I had a feeling her thoughts were the same as my own. But we walked on and we encountered more bodies on the floor. As we were getting closer to the main room, were they were holding Lucas, we didn’t make it there because, that’s when we heard Dr. Carter crying out Luca’s name." Sonia felt the deep sense of sadness overwhelming her entire being as she thought about what had happened next.

"Amelia and I ran towards the noise and found ourselves in a large laboratory. We—we saw Lucas standing there and—Oh god his eyes! I can still remember his eyes!" Sonia whispered just as her husband came back with the drinks and placed the glass of lemonade on his wife’s shaking hands.

"It’s alright love. f you want, I can tell him the rest."

Sonia shook her head as she looked lovingly back at him.

"No. I’ll tell him."

She then turned her head and faced Jarod's rapt attention.

"Luca’s eyes were no longer blue, but they were lifeless and almost a color as dark as my own eyes. I knew the boy was enraged for some reason and when you have so much rage and anger inside of you, you can’t reason with that person!" Sonia took a sip of her drink and then looked at Luca’s black and white picture.

"But my sister ignored the look of rage on the boy’s face and ran towards him. I tried to stop her but it was too late and Lucas used his power to fling her across the room and she slammed into the far wall. I tried to stop him but it was useless, instead of slamming me to the wall he levitated me six feet upwards and dropped me."

Jarod's eyes widened in shock as he looked at her with disbelief.

"But how did you survive?"

Marcos put his arms around his wife again and gave a small smile.

"I was able to break her fall,"

Jarod looked dumbstruck at Marcos, who was still looking lovingly at his wife but explained to Jarod.

"I knew that something was going wrong with my wife, after eight years of marriage, I knew her well enough to know that she was keeping a secret from me. So that night I followed her, without her knowing it." Sonia gave her husband a brief kiss.

"And I’m happy you did, because I know you’ll always be there for me." Marcos ran his hand through her hair as Sonia continued.

"Unfortunately, even though Marcos saved me, we couldn’t help my sister. Luca’s rage grew ten-fold, as he saw my sister, and he began to slam her all around the room. At first I tried to reason with him but he wouldn’t listen. So I had no choice but try and knock him out. Unfortunately it didn’t work and he slammed me toward the wall and I was knocked unconscious. Then my husband tried to do the same but he was knocked unconscious, as well." Sonia paused as she sighed and felt the rush of tears come over her eyes as she slowly whispered an explanation.

"When I woke up I heard my sister cry in happiness and I saw that Lucas and she were hugging! I was so happy to see that she had gotten through to him, but then I heard a loud click, I-- I turned and saw John Standfield had a gun aimed at them."

Sonia’s face was covered in tears as she gave a low growl of pain.

"I tried to warn them but it was too late and as the gun went off! Lucas saw it coming and he shielded my sister as the bullet hit him through his chest. Lu-Lucas had enough strength to kill Standfield but the poor little boy died in my sister arms!"

Sonia buried her face in her husband’s arms as Marcos sighed and looked sadly back at Jarod who stood silently still. The only emotion that showed through his shocked face was pure rage at what had happened that terrible night.

Jarod looked down at the photos of Lucas and Amelia Velasquez. Then slowly stood up and looked back at the couple sitting they’re, looking curiously back at him.

"We have a lot of work to do if were going to get your sister out. I know where they are!" He paused as the couple also stood up and they shook their heads in agreement.

"We’ll leave tomorrow bright and early to survey the area and then we strike."

Sonia nodded and looked hopefully up at him as Marcos studied the stranger’s cold face.

"Thank you," Sonia whispered.

****

Lima, Peru

Parker walked out onto the balcony that over-looked the city of Lima. She watched as she saw the large buildings that were overshadowed by the smog that covered the building’s peaks. Then her cellular phone rang.

"What?"

"Did you find the compound?" asked a man, with a deep, smooth Belgium accent.

"Yes Broots called me an hour ago with the location."

Sydney paused as he sighed in uneasiness.

"Be careful Parker, this could be a trap. This wouldn’t be the first time you’ve been set up. Remember what happened with Devon?"

Parker felt a chill run up her spine as she remembered perfectly well what that jerk had tried to do to her.

"Don’t worry Syd, I’ll be fine besides, if I find any evidence on Project New Genesis, that has to do with me I’ll put a stop to it. You can count on that. If it’s more than I can handle, then I’ll call Sam and a couple of sweepers."

Sydney still felt uneasy, he couldn’t get this strange feeling of foreboding out of his system.

"Alright, but please call us before you leave or better yet. Maybe Broots and I should go there right now?" Parker sighed and knew Syd wouldn’t stop playing the mother hen act until she relented.

"Fine, you and tech-boy can come over here. You’ll have to wait until the Jet arrives there first though since I’m using it. I’ll have the pilot go back there tomorrow night."

Sydney nodded, as his voice became happy.

"Wonderful, Broots and I will be ready." Parker quickly hung up and sighed, as she almost felt rotten that she had lied to Sydney. Parker didn’t need distractions at the moment, she knew she would have to head out tomorrow night.

****

The Next day
Andes Mountains, Peru

Amelia light brown eyes blinked as the memories of Lucas came back to her in a hauntingly real detail. She gasped as she turned away from the microscope and began to remember the confrontation with the once innocent little boy…

Amelia slowly opened her eye lids, her vision was at first blurry until she saw her sister and Marcos being flung like dolls on to the nearest wall. She gasped and tried to stand up, trying to ignore the pain she felt on her ribs.

"NO LUCAS! YOU MUST STOP!" She screamed as she looked into the dark eyes that used to be a shade of sky blue.

"No I won’t stop! Not until all of you pay for making me this way!" His gaze turned murderous as his small face scowled up at her as he barely whispered. "Not until you die."

Amelia’s eyes widened as she tried to go to him but she was flung high up in the air.

"Please Lucas, you must listen to me! I care too much about you to let you do this to yourself. Please put me down so we can talk!"

Lucas merely looked at her with cold amusement.

"You’re a fool if you think I’ll listen to you. You don’t give a damn about me. ALL YOU EVER CARED ABOUT WAS THIS POWER I HAVE!" Amelia shook her head in denial.

"No that’s not true Lucas! You have to believe me when I tell you that I want to take you away from here, to live with me! YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ME!" Amelia felt so much sorrow that her eyes began to water as tears began to stream down her face.

"Oh Lucas, I love you so much!"

Luca’s eyes seemed to glow as he looked at her with pure fury and disgust.

"YOURE LIYNG! I KNOW YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT ME! DOCTOR CARTER TOLD ME HOW YOU’RE THE REASON WHY I’M DIFFERENT! I’M A MONSTER! JUST LIKE DOCTOR CARTER TOLD ME!"

Lucas paused as he’s dark eyes glimmered in pure hate.

"Since you care about this power so much. You’ll die by it!"

Amelia’s eyes shut tight and then she looked sadly down at him with love in her light brown eyes.

"It’s true that I began the project Genesis but I never knew what they had done to you until it was too late. When you disappeared I decided to come back and take you away from here. Lucas I want to adopt you! DON’T YOU SEE! YOU’RE SUCH AN IMPORTANT PART OF ME LUCAS! I LOVE YOU AS A MOTHER LOVES A SON!" She shouted as she looked pleadingly down at his shocked face. Then she turned her head away as she looked down at the floor.

"If you feel justified in taking revenge on me then go ahead!" Amelia whispered as she beard-down and waited for him to do his worst. But instead she felt her body slowly falling back to the ground. She opened her eyes as she gently landed on the ground and saw that Luca’s eyes were back to their normal blue color. She felt so much happiness as she cried and began to hesitantly walk towards him.

"Lu—Lucas?"

The young boy ran towards her as Amelia shouted in glee and met him halfway as both of them embraced in a fearsome hug.

"Oh Lucas, I promise to never let anyone hurt you again!"

A loud click was heard as a shot rang out. Amelia gasped and she heard her sister crying out.

"NOOOOOOOO!"

Before Amelia could react, Luca’s covered her body with his own. While her eyes widen in shock.

"LUUUCAAAAS!"

But before Amelia could say anything else, Lucas had enough strength to stand up and turn his angry eyes to his right. Amelia saw John Standfield looking back in horror.

"YOU BASTARD!" Amelia shouted.

John Standfield was flung up in the air and then slammed around seven times on to the wall. Amelia heard a loud snapping sound as his head collided with the ground, as his scream of terror became silent.Amelia looked away from the dead body as Lucas fell into her arms.

"Lucas, stay with me! Everything will be all right! Just keep talking to me. STAY AWAKE LUCAS!"

Lucas looked lovingly at her as he took her hands in his.

"Thank you."

He said as he looked lovingly back at her. Amelia’s vision was blurred from the tears that spilled down her cheeks.

"For what love?"

Lucas smiled at her as he slowly brought the other hand up to wipe away the tears on her face.

"For being my mommy." He whispered as he gasped, his eyes closed and then his hands fell limply to the ground.

Amelia’s mouth opened in horror as she began to fiercely shake him.

"Lucas? Lucas wake up! Oh please no! GOD NO! LUUUCAAAS DON’T LEAVE ME PLEASE! OOHHH NO0000!" Amelia shouted as she tightly hugged his limp body.

Amelia was shaken out her memories as she felt the familiar feeling of pain and loss tug at her heart. She felt a tear stream down her face as she quickly wiped it away and looked up to find that the camera was facing her.

She looked up at the camera in defiance and turned away from it. Her hands clenched into fists as she tried to push away the old emotions that she had held back for so long. She needed to stay focused on the present, not the past. Amelia knew the only way to stop this hell from happening again was to make sure the Centre never got it’s hands on the embryo. She took a few deep breaths to calm her emotions. As she looked at the microscope, she paid more attention to the embryo she was observing.

Her eyes widened as she saw that this embryo had the telekinetic DNA strand. She held back her reactions and gritted her teeth as she silently swore to herself. Amelia now knew she had to stop this madness no matter what the consequences.

An image of Devon appeared in her mind. She cursed at her thoughts and quickly pushed his image away. This was no time to be thinking about that creep! She knew where she stood with him. Amelia would be sure never to get near that man again. Of course that wasn’t a problem since she hadn’t seen him since the kiss. She hoped it stayed that way!

As she calmly looked away from the microscope she took out Embryo C and then looked at the next one. As she checked all the four remaining embryos she knew C was the one. Amelia looked at her watch and saw that it was time to turn in for the night. As she saw one the sweepers come to take her to her room, Amelia quickly had a plan as she told the sweeper she needed to do one more thing.

****

Miss Parker stood back behind the large boulder, surveying the area. She wore a dark long sleeve shirt with black pants. The clothes were able to cover her from the sweepers that guarded the front of the cave-like compound. Parker took out her night vision goggles as she saw three sweepers in front. Her brown hair was tied back in a short ponytail as her face looked strained and in deep thought of what to do next.

"Well, well, well, if it isn’t Miss Parker?" said a smooth voice from the darkness. Parker took out her gun and aimed at the bush’s direction.

"Who’s there?" She coldly whispered. Then her eyes widened as Jarod slowly crawled towards her. He stopped in front of her as he brought his hands up to reveal that he had no weapon.

"I come in peace." He whispered as his gaze traveled from her face to her skin clad black clothing.

"You’ll be back at the Centre in small peace’s, if you don’t tell me what the hell you’re doing here?" Jarod smiled as he looked into her blue eyes.

"I was just about to ask you the same question Parker." She gritted her teeth in annoyance and turned the safety off her gun and aimed it at his head.

"You either tell me or I put a bullet through your head?!"



Feedback please!! mailto:www.saiyan.com