Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: All of the characters of The Pretender belong to NBC.


Dark Half
Part 2
By Holly





Weston Vermont

“Tell me I’m dreaming again!”, Miss Parker whispered. Jarod shook his head sideways as he kept his gaze on the form who was looking around the dark woods. Both of them ducked as the man’s gaze passed them.

“But he looks exactly like you!”, she rasped out.

The man’s eyes were cold and unfeeling while his face was set in stone with no emotion showing on his face. The light showed him wearing black gloves, a dark jacket over a black shirt and dark pants.

Jarod’s gaze turned angerly towards Miss Parker. “What’s going on Miss Parker. Is this some kind of joke!”

Her eyes widened in shock as she looked darkly back at him. “How the hell am I supposed to know. I still don’t have all of my memory back yet. I feel like I have big black holes in my mind!”

Jarod closed his eyes as he felt his anger leave him and looked back at the man who was now accompanied by three sweepers.

“I have a brother.”, he whispered.

Those words sparked another memory in Miss Parker’s mind. She gasped as she remembered seeing herself giving birth to two children.

“Miss Parker are you all right?’

Her flashback ended as she looked back at him. “I have a brother too. Don’t I?”

Jarod looked down at her and whispered, “Yes.”

She looked hopefully up at him. “Is he looking for me too?”

Jarod sighed as he looked sadly down at her. “I’m afraid not. You see--” He stopped as he looked back to hear Allen Foster cry out.

“Devon you have to believe me! They just left a little while ago. They couldn’t have gone far!”

“Devon!”, both Jarod and Miss Parker whispered in shock.

Devon took a fist full of Allen’s shirt as he brought him up to face his cold impassive stare. “You fool! You let her get away!”

Jarod gasped as he heard his own voice sounding deadly calm.

“It’s not my fault! Jarod found Miss Parker and she’s gone off with him!”

“What?!”, Devon whispered as he pushed Allen away and looked back to the man with blond hair and gray eyes. “Byron take Frank and search the area.” Byron nodded and looked back at Allen. “What about him?”

Devon paused as he whispered to Byron and then walked slowly towards the cabin. Allen looked confused and then his eyes widened in fear as Byron raised his gun at him. Allen cried out as he was shot twice through the heart.

Both Jarod and Miss Parker gasped and then ducked. “Let’s get out of here before those sweepers find us.”

Jarod nodded his head since he was too shocked to say anything and Miss Parker followed him as they sneaked away.

“Where are we going?”

Jarod looked ahead as he remembered the road were his car was parked.

“My car is just a few yards ahead.” She nodded in understanding as they ran into the forest

Devon walked around the cabin as he tried to examine it for any clues. He walked inside the first bedroom and saw a picture of Miss Parker and Allen together. He’s eyes darkened as he looked at Miss Parker’s smiling face.

He picked up the photo and traced her face lightly with his fingertips. A clearing of a throat was heard as Devon slowly turned back to Byron. “Did you find anything?”

Byron shook his head sideways and looked out through the window. “No we haven’t. Maybe the doctor was lying.”

Devon slammed the photo down and looked back at Byron.

“He’s not lying. They’re close by.” He saw the note on the table and picked it up.

His head snapped back at Byron as he crumpled the note. “Their thirty minutes ahead of us. Let’s go.” Byron followed as they walked out of the cabin.

Devon’s cellular phone rang as he picked it up. “Devon.” He paused as his eyes darkened but his face stayed impassive.

Byron couldn’t believe how easy it was for Devon to hide his emotions so easily. Devon paused as he stopped walking and looked back at Allen’s form. “Jarod is here and I’m having Byron and the sweeper team looking for both of them. The doctor let them get away.” He paused and looked around the woods. “I took care of him.”

Devon hung up the phone and looked coldly back at Byron. “I want you to keep searching the ground area for Jarod and Parker. They have a mile head start. “ Devon paused as he thought back to the map he had seen earlier.

“Start you search to the nearest road and head north east. Take the doctors car while I take the chopper and scan the area. I want Jarod back at the Centre and Parker brought to me, Understood.” Byron nodded and signaled the sweeper team to come with him. Devon lips thinned into a cold smile and slowly walked towards the awaiting helicopter.

Jarod gave a sigh of relief as he saw his car at the bottom of the hill. Miss Parker stopped running as another image came into mind. She gasped as she saw a woman who looked exactly like her dying in the elevator.

Jarod sensed her shock and looked curiously up at her. “What’s wrong?”

She felt tears forming behind her eyes.

“My---my mother! She--- died in an elevator didn’t she?” Jarod looked sadly down at her and slowly walked over to her.

“Yes she died a long time ago.”

She hugged herself as she looked up at the bright moon. “So that wasn’t me who was being shot at it was her.”

Jarod shook his head up and down and patted her shoulder. “You look exactly like her. You were probably so confused you thought it was you instead of her.”

She felt empty inside as she thought about her. “I feel so alone!”, she whispered.

Jarod paused as he was only a step away from her. “Your not alone.”

She looked up at him and then away as she felt strange feeling inside the pit of her stomach.

A gun shot rang out as Jarod looked past her to find a car speeding there way. He grabbed Miss Parker’s arm as they ran towards the car. As Jarod speeded away he looked back and saw the car behind him coming closer. Then another shot rang out and a popping sound was heard.

Jarod held on to the wheel and tried to control the car as much as he could.

Miss Parker’s eyes widened in fear as she remembered driving down a similar road at night and swerving out of control! Then the realization came to her that someone wanted her dead. That accident she was in was no accident at all!

She cried out this time as another shot came close to her head. Jarod swore in anger as he looked around for an avenue of escape. He took drastic action and hoped he knew what he was doing as he took a sharp turn into the woods. Miss Parker looked back at him with anger in her eyes. “What the hell are you doing?”

Jarod stopped the car as he got out. “We’ll have to loose them in the woods. The car has a flat tire and we can’t possibly get away from them.” Jarod grabbed his bag-pack and looked back at Miss Parker who looked confused. “We have to move!”

She looked back to the car and then followed Jarod into the woods. Then they heard the rustle of leaves and foot steps coming closer. “Why are they trying to kill us?”

Jarod briefly looked back and then turned to look back at her. “I don’t know, but I have a feeling they want me alive but I’m not sure why they want you.”

“Great!”, she snapped.

Jarod came to a sudden stop and swore in anger. Miss Parker bumped into him full force and looked curiously at his back. “What’s wrong?’ Jarod stood away as he let her see. She slowly looked down as she faced a waterfall that lay bellow them. She gasped and looked back to were the strange sounds of footsteps were coming closer.

‘What do we do now?”

Jarod looked down at the water fall and took off his back pack. “We have to jump.” She scowled back at him.

“Over my dead body!” Jarod looked back at the approaching sweeper team.

“You may get your wish unless you jump with me now!”

She shook her head sideways and began to step away from him. Jarod looked up as he saw the sweepers approaching.

“Ladies first!”, Jarod said as he grabbed her arm and pushed her over the waterfall, while Miss Parker screamed out his name in anger. Then he jumped off right after her

Byron looked down as he saw Jarod and Miss Parker disappearing into the waterfall and swore in anger. He turned around and looked back at Frank and the other sweepers. “Let’s go! We have to follow this river.” They ran back to the car to follow.

The chopper scanned down the waterfall for any sign of life. Devon took out his phone and dialed Byron’s number. “Keep searching the river and if you don’t find them meet me back at town.” Then he hung up and signaled the pilot to go back.

Devon looked down at the dark forest with cold hard anger that showed in his dark eyes. “You won’t get away from me that easily Jarod. I won’t let you or Parker get away.”, he whispered.

***

The Centre Blue Cove, Delaware

Broots rushed inside as he saw Sydney trying to read a book. Sydney slammed the book down as he looked up at Broots. “Where you able to find anything in Raine’s office?” Broots shook his head sideways as he looked sadly back at Sydney.

“He doesn’t know were Miss Parker is either.” Sydney ran a frustrated hand through his hair and looked sadly away.

Broots looked hesitant at first as he walked closer to Sydney and whispered, “Did you notice that something else is going on?” Sydney looked curiously back at Broots. “No. What is it?”

Broots leaned closer as he looked around Sydney’s office. “They’re moving some furniture into SL-5. It’s an old office next to Miss Parker’s.”

Sydney looked curiously back at him and then stood up. “I think we should have a look.”

Broots looked fearful and sighed in defeat. “But why Syd, this doesn’t feel right. It felt exactly like that time Lyle moved into the Centre. “

“That’s more of a reason to find out what is going on. Come on.” Sydney said as he walked out of his office.

A scared Broots walked slowly after him, hoping he would be able to live to see his daughters graduation!

***

Weston, Vermont

A soaked Miss Parker swam to the shallow end of the river bank and stood up as she walked over to shore. She looked back as she heard Jarod following her. She turned away as she put her hands on her waist. While Jarod hesitated as he saw the look of rage on her face. He then stood up and walked farther away from her. Miss Parker looked around the woods and then back at him.

“What now fearless leader!”

Jarod sighed as he stood on the shore and opened his bag-pack. “We head to the nearest town and then I leave you to call the Centre.”

Miss Parker shivered as she felt her shirt and shorts cling to her wet skin. Even in the warm summer night air she still felt cold. She rubbed her arms as she walked a step closer to Jarod. “Do you know what direction we take?”

Jarod paused as he looked back at his compass and then turned to look his right. We go straight that way and we’ll hit town.”

She nodded in understanding and looked back up the river. “You don’t think they’ll follow us do you?”

Jarod shook his head as he looked around the woods. “Yes they will. We have to keep moving and make sure we don’t leave any tracks for them to find.”

She nodded her head as she walked another step closer just inches away from Jarod. “What time is it now?”

Jarod looked at his watch and then gasped as he was pushed back into the water. Jarod swam back up to see, Miss Parker looking at him with a dark angry look on her face.

“Don’t you ever pull that kind of stunt again! Or I’ll shoot you next time!”

Jarod shook the water away from his head as he coughed out some water and merely smiled back.

“It looks like you’re getting you old self back. By the way it’s seven thirty.”

She growled in frustration as she turned and began to walk to her left.

Jarod got out of the water and ran after her. “You can’t go that way. The sweepers are in that direction.”

She ignored him as she kept on walking. Jarod grabbed her arm and turned her around to face him.

“Let go of my arm or you’ll regret it!”, she coldly whispered.

Jarod looked darkly back at her as he kept his grip on her arm. “I am not going to let you get yourself killed, just so you could make a point.”

Her eyes narrowed as she tried to break free from his grip. Then she kicked out towards his groin but Jarod dogged away and brought her down on the ground and put his body weight on top of hers. “Miss Parker we don’t have time for this. We have to keep going.”

She was too shocked to say anything because of the reaction she had from his body lying on top of hers. She bit her lip as she held back a the groan that was dying to come out. She looked away as she closed her eyes and rasped out. “Fine just get off me you jack ass!”

Jarod got up and took her hand to help her up. She felt like hitting him again but knew he would be ready and she didn’t feel like repeating the incident that just happened. She turned away as she tried to hide the memory of his hard muscular body on top of hers. “Let’s go!”, she snapped as she walked to her right.

Jarod sighed as he prayed for the patience to deal with her. Then he grabbed his bag-pack and followed.

***

Byron picked up his cellular phone as he heard Devon ask. “Have you found them yet?” Byron sighed as he scanned the dark woods. ”There has been no sign of them.”

“Then I want you to come back to town.” Byron’s eyes widened as he looked down at the waterfall. “You don’t think they’d survived that waterfall do you?”

“Jarod and Parker are still alive. They will head back to Town so we will be waiting for them.” Byron paused as he looked back at the waterfall. “Do you want me to call for more sweepers?”

“Don’t be a fool! Jarod will suspect that many sweepers to be there. I don’t want him to see any around understood!”

Byron sighed as he looked back at the woods. “Understood.” But the line was already dead.


The Centre Blue Cove, Delaware

Sydney walked slowly towards the office. “Are you sure you want to go in there Syd?” Sydney paused as he looked back at Broots. “I want to find out who’s moving in?”

Sydney slowly knocked on the door and heard no answer.

Broot’s eyes widened in shock as he saw Sydney slowly open the door. “Syd what are you doing? Are you crazy!”

Sydney paused and put his finger to his mouth to silence Broots. Then he stepped inside the office as Broots reluctantly followed. Broots looked worriedly back at Sydney as he closed the door.

“Please Syd, lets get out here. These place is too dark and it gives me the creeps!”

Sydney ignored him as he tried to find light switch and then he found it. When the lights turned on the room looked bear with only a large mahogany desk and chair that went with it.

“Oh my good.”, whispered Broots. Sydney followed Broot’s gaze to a painting that was up on the wall. It was off Miss Parker, she had on a white dress and her hair was swept up as brown curls were let down on either side of her face. She had a lovely smile on her face.

“Who?.....Why...”, Broots stuttered as he looked more closely at the picture. “Miss Parker looks so happy. It doesn’t seem like her.”

Sydney looked seriously up at the painting. “That’s because it’s not her.” Broots looked curiously back at him and then his eyes widened in shock. “You mean?”

“I’m afraid so. Whoever owns this painting has a fascination with Mrs. Parker and I am afraid of what this means.” Sydney looked away and walked over to the large mahogany desk and tried to open the drawer but couldn’t since it was locked.

“This is way too creepy Syd, I think Miss Parker’s missing because of the psycho who owns this office.”

Syd sighed as he looked back at Broots. “I’m afraid your right but what I want to know is why?”

Sydney had to agree except this person didn’t leave any clues as to his or her personality. They froze in alarm as they heard someone coming. Broots looked fearfully back at Sydney. “Syd someone’s coming.”

Sydney turned off the lights as they rushed behind the desk. They both sighed in relief as they heard the person pass by the office. “Let’s get out of here Syd before someone finds us!” Sydney nodded in agreement as they both sneaked away.

Later both agreed that they would need to do some more investigating on who owned the new office.

***

Weston Vermont

Jarod stopped as he looked up to find a cave at the top of the hill. He sighed in relief and looked back to see Miss Parker lagging behind. “I found a cave just up ahead. I think we should stop for the night.”

She nodded in agreement as she felt grateful to be stopping after a two mile hike. “Why didn’t you bother to tell me that we were so far from town.”

Jarod looked back at her as he stopped just at the mouth of the cave. “I thought you knew since you’ve been here for a week.” She looked darkly back at him then looked up at the dark sky.

“I didn’t know! That creep Allen never let me go out to town with him. He told me it was close by and there was nothing there except a store to get supplies. So I stayed at the cabin!” She paused as she her eyes darkened in anger. “Seems like this isn’t the only thing he lied to me about.”, she bitterly whispered.

Jarod sensed her sadness and felt an overwhelming urge to comfort her but knew she would push him away. He sighed as he looked down at her and then walked inside of the cave to look around. He took off his bag-pack and searched for his flashlight.

Miss Parker looked back as she saw the flashlight. “It looks like you came prepared.”

Jarod sighed as he looked at his bag-pack. “No. Not really I only have a few snacks, a flashlight and a map.”

She began to rub her arms as she began to shiver from the cool night air. “You don’t happen to know how to start a fire?”

Jarod smiled as he turned the flashlight on. “It so happens that I do. I used to be a camp leader.” He looked back at Miss Parker. “I need to get some wood so we should be able to find some. Let’s go.”

Her eyes narrowed as she looked back at him. “Are you crazy. I’m not going anywhere. You brought me to this hell hole! You do it.”

Jarod’s eyes darkened in annoyance as he looked back at her. “Let me put it this way Parker. If you don’t help me then I’ll leave you and you can find your way home.”

She growled in anger as she looked back at him and then began to walk with him. When they returned Jarod was able to start a fire as Miss Parker tried to warm herself by it.

Jarod looked back at her and saw her teeth were chattering. Jarod felt very cold himself, and his clothes weren’t’ helping him. His black T-shirt still clung to his skin and so did his gray pants.

Miss Parker tried to hold back the shivers and chattering but couldn’t because the cold night air was too great to ignore.

Jarod sighed as he hoped she would listen to what he was going to suggest next. “I think it’s better for both of us if we take off our wet clothes. It’ll get worse if we don’t get rid of these clothes now!”

“Look Tarzan! I’m not planning to take anything off!”

Jarod merely shrugged his shoulders as he stood up. “Fine you can freeze to death but I won’t.” He began to unzip his pants as Miss Parker looked alarmingly away.

“Are you crazy! This isn’t a Motel you moron! “ Jarod ignored her as he took of his pants and then slipped his shirt off and only left his boxers on. Miss Parker closed her eyes as she told herself not to look.

She could feel her resolve slipping away as she began to wonder in her mind. Jarod looked amusingly down at her reaction. Then he walked closer to her as he whispered close to her ear. “Your turn.”

She gasped in surprise as she turned around. Her eyes widened as she looked at his smooth brown chest and then she turned angerly up at his face. “Don’t ever do that to me again!”

Jarod merely looked innocently down at her, enjoying her obvious discomfort at the whole situation. If he had known that undressing in front of her would unnerve her so easily he would have done it sooner.

“Well?”, he asked.

She narrowed her eyes at him in anger as she crossed her arms and looked away. “I said no. Now leave me alone!”

Jarod merely shrugged as he walked away. “Fine but if you freeze to death don’t blame me.”

Miss Parker sat down by the fire across from him and tried to warm herself by the fire. But it didn’t help, and after almost a half an hour of silence between them she slowly stood up and looked darkly back at Jarod.

“Fine. But you better not try anything cave boy!” Jarod merely nodded his head and looked down to hide his smile. Miss Parker looked away as she walked to the furthest darkest part of the cave and began to undress.

Jarod kept his head away as she undressed and he began to wonder what was taking her so long. He slowly looked back and could only see a shadow of her form in the darker side of the cave.

She paused as she was about to step out of the light. Then shook the strange feeling away and held her head high and walked into the light.

Jarod felt like the wind had been knocked out of him as he saw her slim form. The light showed she only wore her bra and panties but the underwear was useless when you could clearly see through them.

Jarod drunk the site of her with his eyes as his gaze slowly traveled up her form. Then he realized he hadn’t breathed yet and took in some needed air.

She didn’t notice his dark stare as she quickly walked to the fire and sat down across from him. She brought her legs up as she put her arms around them to cover the upper half of her body for warmth. Jarod did the same and tried to keep looking at the fire instead of Miss Parker.

“Why did my mother die?”

Jarod looked up at her and then away. “She tried to save me and the other children of the Centre.”

She thought about the memory and then her blue eyes darkened. “Did I find out who did it?’

Jarod closed his eyes as he looked away. “You think my father shot her!”

She gasped as she looked up at him with shock written on her face. “Your father?”

Jarod looked darkly back at her. “Yes, but I’m trying to find out if it’s true. The Centre has lied to us before and I have my doubts about this so called truth!”

She bit her lip and began to get a craving for something. She groaned out loud as she tried to figure out what it was.

Jarod looked at her with concern in his eyes. “What is it?”

She looked curiously up at him. “I have a craving for something but I don’t know what it is. Do you know?”

Jarod merely smiled as he grabbed his bag-pack. “It’s probably food. Here have some Oreo cookies their great!”

She took some and ate them but still felt unsatisfied.

She yawned as she felt very sleepy and began to lie down on the ground.

Jarod took his bag-pack and slowly walked over to her. “Here use this as a pillow.”

She let him tuck the bag-pack bellow her head as she lied back down. She sighed as she felt her eye lids grow heavy.

“Thanks.”, she whispered. She had a strange feeling this word never came easily to her judging by the strange look on Jarod’s face.

Jarod paused in shock at what she had said and then smiled down at her. “Your welcome.”, he whispered. Then he saw her close her eyes to sleep.

She could see herself walking towards the elevator. Then she saw him coming out of the shadows with his hand raised holding his gun in his hand. She tried to cry out to her mother, to warn her but couldn’t as she saw her being shot at. Her mother cried out. ”No ......Leave me alone!”

Miss Parker heard herself crying out as she saw her mother dead in the elevator.

Then the dream flashed as she found herself floating over the man who had killed her mother. Miss Parker’s gaze was transfixed at the man in the dark suit. His face was hidden in the darkness. But not his voice as he spoke in a quite and smooth tone. “You should have never interfered my dear.” Then he paused as someone else came up to him.

Miss Parker knew who it was and she gasped in anger. “What do you want to do with her now?” The man who shot her mother whispered. “Leave her in the elevator and make it look like suicide I must return to the San Francisco base.” Then the figure began to disappear. Miss Parker cried out in anger as she felt the injustice and hatred consume her.

Then she heard another voice. ”MISS PARKER....WAKE UP! WAKE UP!”

She cried out as she sat up and saw Jarod looking worriedly down at her.

“It’s all right it was just a bad dream!” She felt the hot tears falling down her face. She looked away as she tried to wipe them away. “It’s all right now.”

She looked sadly up at him with anger in her blue eyes. She stood up as she faced Jarod and as he saw the look of rage on her face he knew she had regained her memory.

Jarod stood silently still as he watched her. She tried to push the image of her mother away but it kept coming back to her mind, as she saw her mother being shot at. Then the man who had shot her and then the man who stood next to him. She closed her eyes in pain as she groaned out loud. Jarod pushed back his hesitation as he slowly began to embrace her.

“Don’t touch me!”, she growled out loud as she jumped away from him. “All my life has ever been is hell. Ever since your father shot my mother. I saw it in my dream and I know it was true.” She stopped as she felt the overwhelming emotion of anger and rage engulfing her again. She felt the tears starting to form as she tried to blink them back. She looked savagely up at Jarod and began to beat his chest with her fists. “I HATE YOUR WHOLE FAMILY! I HATE RAINES! AND MOST OF ALL I HATE YOU!!”

Jarod stood still as she let her anger out.

Miss Parker felt hot tears running down her face as she looked away and began to run away but she felt a steel grip on her arm. “Let me go!”

Jarod shook his head sideways. “I won’t let you go Miss Parker. I can’t let you go in a blind rage. You could get hurt and Ican’t let that happen.”

She turned back to look coldly back at him as she was finally able to control her angry emotions. “Drop the good samaritan act Jarod. Your only using me to get information like you have always done. Your nothing but a liar!”

Jarod’s eyes narrowed as they darkened. “I never lied to you Miss Parker. I always told you the truth!”

She tried to brake away but Jarod held on to her. She kicked out and tried to claw at him but he didn’t let her go. Instead they fell on the ground together. She felt the warmth of his body and tried to fight as hard as she could but after a few minutes she grew very tired, emotionally as well as physically.

“Why can’t you just leave me alone Jarod.”, she whispered. “Why do you have to interfere in my life! Because of you I’ve questioned everything in my life and I hate you for it! I HATE YOU!”

Jarod’s eyes darkened as he had the overwhelming urge to say what he felt but held back. His embrace grew tighter as his gaze roamed over her face. “You know the answer to that Parker. You were my childhood friend. I would never try to intentionally hurt you.”

She looked coldly up at him and could read something in the dark eyes that he was offering her but looked away not wanting to read the emotions showing in front of her.

Then the image of the little boy in her past went through her mind. Miss Parker sighed and then looked back at Jarod. She turned away and slowly stood up. Jarod sighed as he felt relief that she hadn’t tried to do bodily harm.

She walked outside the mouth of the cave and looked out at the moon and then back to the fire that Jarod was tending too. She groaned and wished she had a cigarette.

Then she walked back as she silently sat down and tried to go back to sleep. She could see Jarod was doing the same but she could hear him moving around. She sighed knowing he was uncomfortable.

“Oh for crying out loud! Here take the bag-pack. I don’t need it!”

Jarod shook his head sideways and then Miss Parker spoke up before thinking. “Then we’ll share it.”

Jarod’s eyes drew upwards in surprise and she felt like taking back what she had just said. Miss Parker didn’t know why she had suggested such a stupid idea in the first place but decided there was no harm in it. Besides if Jarod moved away she’d be alerted and she wanted to keep an eye on him so she could re-capture him.

Jarod seemed to read her thoughts but held back a chuckle and merely obliged and lied down next to her.

“Don’t try anything monkey boy or you’ll be eating dirt.”

Jarod merely grinned at her and then looked away “Don’t worry Parker I wont.”

Miss Parker turned sideways and tried to go back to sleep. But at first she couldn’t because she felt Jarod’s warmth beside her. After a while she sighed as she felt fatigue overcome her.

Jarod sensed her body start to limp as she began to fall asleep. He could hear her breathing even-out as she fell asleep.

He sighed quietly as he thought about what she had said to him. He looked sadly up at the ceiling of the cave wishing there was an easier way to deal with Miss Parker. In a way he was responsible for having her question her father. Jarod looked calmly at Miss Parker’s form and his face changed as it darkened. But he didn’t regret his decision, he knew the only way to free Miss Parker from the Centre was to make her realize the lies that she had been fed all her life! Even if it hurt her, he knew had too let her see the truth. He remembered her angry words that rang in his ears. ‘Why can’t you just leave me alone Jarod!’

He closed his eyes as he felt that strong emotional bond he had with her. Jarod’s dark look changed to a deep longing that he knew he could never get rid off. He knew deep in his heart that he could never leave her alone. She was as much a part of his past as he was to hers. He sighed as he felt tired and felt his eye lids grow heavier as he finally went to sleep.

Jarod instantly awoke as he felt a soft warm body lying on top of his. He was alarmed at first and then remembered it was Miss Parker. He was more than alarmed as the realization hit him.

He stayed still as he felt her snuggle her head on his shoulder comfortably lying there. Jarod swallowed a moan that was dying to come out. He bit his lip and tried to calm his raging hormones that were flying out of control. He felt her body move more deeply closer to his and could feel every curve of her body pressed to his own. Then he felt Miss Parker’s leg move as it bushed his thigh and his manhood.

Jarod couldn’t hold back as he slowly groaned out loud and looked back to find Parker still sleeping. He closed his eyes as he began to feel his body reacting to hers. He tried to concentrate on falling back to sleep, but his eyes snapped open as he felt sleep eluding him.

He felt total agony at his predicament and when he looked at Miss Parker’s face he groaned because his face was just a few inches away from hers. Jarod’s eyes darkened in desire as his face moved closer to hers. But his head moved so his lips touched her forehead in a brief soft kiss. Then he looked away as he tried to count sheep.

***

The Centre Blue Cove, Delaware

The phone began to ring as Mr. Parker answered. “Parker?” “Just thought you should know that today is the day that my son will be taking over the re-capturing of Jarod.”

Mr. Parker’s eyes darkened in fear. “You said two days and we still have one more day left.” The man in the other line gave a humorless chuckle.

“I was able to get the members of the Triumvirate to change there minds.” Then the line went dead.

Mr. Parker growled in anger as he slammed the phone down. He stood up from his chair and looked out from his window. “You have to fight princess! Don’t let Devon win!”, he whispered.

****

Weston, Vermont

Miss Parker slowly opened her eyes as she moved her head up. Her eyes widened in shock as she looked at Jarod’s sleeping face. She swallowed the cry of surprise as she realized that half of her body was lying on top of his.

She closed her eyes as she could feel her fingertips on his warm chest and her ribs on his muscular waist. She gasped as she felt his manhood through his boxers, under her leg and looked alarmingly back to find Jarod still sleeping.

She could feel the rhythm of his heartbeat as it slowly beat under her ear and sighed as she felt the warmth and safety of his arms. She calmed her beating heart and slowly began to move her body away from his.

A sleeping Jarod sensed her movement and groaned out loud as he tightened his hold on her causing her to move all of her body on top of his.

She gritted her teeth and felt like screaming at him but held back knowing he would wake up and find her in this predicament.

Jarod had already woken up but didn’t feel like letting go of the pretend. Besides he felt like paying her back for last night, since she didn’t let him get any sleep. Jarod held back a chuckle as he felt her obvious discomfort and could feel her slowly moving her leg away.

That’s when Jarod felt her leg moving and felt his manhood react. Jarod groaned out loud and Miss Parker looked darkly back at him.

“Let me go you big Neanderthal!”, she snapped as she pushed him away from her and stood up.

Jarod opened his eyes as he also stood up and looked amusingly down at her. “Are you this cranky, when you get up in the morning?”

She ed her clothes and walked out and paused as she looked back.

“Only when I’m being pawed at by some half-wit moron! Who tried to make me think he was still sleeping!” She turned away as she went outside to get dressed.

Jarod sighed as he took his clothes and also got dressed. When he stepped outside he saw Miss Parker walking away from the cave. Jarod cried out for her to hold on and ran to the cave as he ed his bag-pack and ran to catch up with her.

She looked angerly back at him. “Why can’t you just leave me alone! You already saved my life!”

Jarod walked in front of her causing her to stop dead in her tracks. “I have to make sure you are back at the Centre safe and sound.”

She looked away as she ran a frustrated hand through her hair. “Why? Why would you care what happens to me?”

Jarod straightened away as he tried to look at her but she kept her face averted. He briefly closed his eyes and then looked calmly back at her. “Because I just do.”

She looked angerly back at him. “You don’t give a damn about me Jarod. You only want information on your past. So don’t give me that crap! I’m not stupid enough to believe that garbage!”

He sighed as he watched her angry face turn to an impassive cold stare as she walked past him.

“Believe whatever you want Parker you’ve always been blind when it comes to the truth!”

She ignored his comment as she looked back at him and asked. “So which direction do we take next Cave boy?” Jarod shook his head sideways and then walked ahead of her as she followed in silence.

She felt a sense of sadness starting to build in her heart and wondered if she had been better off having amnesia. It felt better than having this sense of loneliness and loss. She swallowed the lump of emotions that seemed to threaten to come out and looked angerly at Jarod’s back. She hated him for having to find her and hated him worse for making her feel all these emotions.

Jarod sensed her dark stare and sighed as he wished this animosity she had towards him would end. He looked sadly back at her and knew that wish may never come true.

****

The Centre Blue Cove, Delaware.

Broots rushed into Sydney’s office. “Syd. Jarod found her!”

Sydney stood up as he looked hopefully down at Broots. “Well were is she?”

“Weston, Vermont. Jarod sent me an email yesterday but I didn’t check my email until just now.”

“What about the owner of new office?

Broots sighed “I couldn’t find anything. It’s like the information is locked up tight somewhere were no one is supposed to look. It reminds me too much of Mr. Lyle which gives me the creeps!”

Sydney sighed and pushed the thought away as he grabbed his jacket and looked back at Broots. “Let’s go. We need to let Mr. Parker know we found her and then we have to get to Weston.”

Broots nodded in agreement and followed Sydney out of his office.

***

Weston Vermont

Jarod and Miss Parker looked down from the hill and saw the little town of Weston. “Finally! Were here!”

Jarod stayed silently in his place as he scanned the town.

Miss Parker looked back at him as she saw him hesitate. “What’s wrong? I’d thought you’d be glad to finally get here. Unless you like being shot at and go around at night half naked.”

Jarod shook his head sideways. “It’s not that I just think we should stay alert.”

Miss Parker’s eyes widened in shock as she looked back at him. “You don’t think those sweepers are still following us do you?”

Jarod sighed as he began walking. “Yes I still think they are.”

Miss Parker rolled her eyes and walked ahead of him. “I doubt it. Besides as soon as I get to a pay phone my team will be here A/S/A/P!”

Jarod chuckled and walked faster as he walked ahead of her. “And I’ll be gone before you know it!”, he said as he gave her a mischievous smile.

Miss Parker’s eyes narrowed as she whispered, “We’ll see about that!” Both of them walked down the hilly slope below.

Devon’s eyes narrowed as he watched Jarod and Parker walking down the hill and into town. Devon’s signaled Byron and his other sweepers to wait. “I’ve got you now!”, he growled.

Jarod and Miss Parker stepped into the small town. Both of them looked uneasily around but saw nothing that was suspicious. Jarod’s eyes narrowed as he surveyed the area and still felt uneasy. He still had the feeling that he was being watched. Even if the town seemed to be filled with people walking in the street. As they turned into a semi abandoned street, both of them felt the uneasiness growing inside of them.

Miss Parker felt apprehensive and knew they were being watched. She could feel someone’s gaze on her face. As she looked around she didn’t see anyone that looked like a sweeper and unconsciously stepped closer to Jarod. He looked down at her hesitant form and knew she was feeling the same way he was, but before he could comfort her.

He felt a hand gripping his arm as he looked behind him. Jarod’s eyes widened in shock as he saw his own face staring coldly back at him.

Before he could do anything, he felt a sharp pain on his head as he felt darkness overcome him. The last thing Jarod heard was Miss Parker voice crying out his name.



Email: bmcinto1@tampabay.rr.com