Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended


But I Do
By: The Injury Princess




I know he still has nightmares, I know every night as he begins to drift off to sleep his body tenses as if aware of the images that await him. I know he tosses and turns and some times he shouts. I know that he can’t escape the terror unless someone is there to hush away the bad dreams. And I know he doesn’t know that I’m there.

I know where his is now as I slip undetected into the room. I’ve been three steps ahead of him for some time now. I keep Sidney and Broots in the dark when I know he’s staying down the hall or across town. I slip out of my hotel room and walk quietly down the street to the apartment building: that I entered only minutes ago.

Why do I care? I shouldn’t I know. I should be trying to bring him in not comfort him through his nightmares. It’s just so unfair. I get my freedom by taking the freedom away from childhood friend. No, no I don’t. I realized that I could never be free when Tommy… that must be why I come. If neither of us can be free than I can at least spare him from some nightmares.

I look down at his seemingly peaceful face, his eyes begin to dart back and forth; the nightmares begin. His lip starts to quiver and his head moves sided to side as if trying to avoid something. I take his hand in mine and stroke his cheek with the other. I tell him not to be afraid, that I’m here now. I say that his nightmares can’t hurt him when I’m here, sometimes I even say that I love him, I say anything to calm him.

One time when we were children I found Jarod sleeping on the floor of his room. I’ll never forget how quickly his peaceful slumber turned into arm flailing terror. I rushed to his side and began to comfort him as I was doing now. I remember when Sidney came in and pulled me away telling me I shouldn’t be here. He’s right, I shouldn’t be here, but no one is here to pull me away now and so I continue to whisper soothingly in to Jarod’s ear.

I come because I care, because I can’t show that I care when the world is awake. I can’t care during the day if I want to find the answers, if I want us to live. If Daddy only knew. If he did I’d be followed every minute until I led them to Jarod then we’d both wake up in a nightmare. I never thought my father would let them do anything to me, but do I really know my father? No, I don’t want to think about it. That is why no one can know, that’s why I can never let on for one second that I care. That’s why even he can’t know.

He doesn’t know that I come to chase the nightmares away, but I do.

*********************************************************************************************

I’ve known about them for a long time now, the nightmares. She gets them almost every night. I hate them because they give her no peace even when she leaves that place at the end of the day.

I slip in through her front door using the key I had made. She’s stopped changing the lock I note. I quietly walk up to her bedroom, skipping the fifth and eighth step that creek. Slowly I open her bedroom door praying that I don’t wake her. I peek in; the moonlight softly rests on her face. I’m relieved to find that I’m early.

I walk to her bedside, she’s resting peacefully, I think about the look on her face when she walked into the little surprise I set for her. It was only in fun, I wouldn’t do anything that could hurt her. I look down at her face, so calm, so beautiful.

I look down at my hunter and my oldest friend and wonder through it all why do I still care. With as much as we’ve changed I know I should have no reason to, but yet I still care. It may be because I know what she’s been through and what she’s seen. It may be her eyes. They could burn holes through ice or reveal an entire life of pain. I can’t see those eyes now; they can’t protect her as the nightmares invade. That’s why I’m here, to protect her from the things she can’t see.

I wait for it to start; I don’t need to wait long, the nightmares come on quickly. Her features tense and she starts to mumble softly. I move in closer and softly stroke her arm. I whisper only nice things in her ear. I tell her she’s safe; I say nothing can hurt her. I hear the words ‘no mama’ escape quietly from her lips and my heart drops.

“One day I’ll rescue you. One day when you’ve fond all your answers I’ll save you from that place. One day I’ll be able to save you from you’re nightmares for good.” I promise kissing the back of her hand lightly. This seems to soothe her and she starts to calm down. She only has these nightmares at this time of night. Just as the tension of the world starts to fade away, just as she peacefully drifts off to sleep they come in to take control.

She doesn’t know that I’m here now. That I push the hair away from her face and whisper everything will be alright. She doesn’t know about the times I don’t come bearing information, about the times I come just for her. She can’t know for her own good; for my own good. If she knew it would have to end, she would either take me back or she would be in danger. The Centre is just waiting for her to fail, just waiting to catch the both of us. That is why she can’t know I am here.

She doesn’t know that I come to keep the nightmares at bay, but I do.