Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Follow Me Down
Aussia





"Follow me down," said the stranger before me. His eyes were kind, his smile made me sure that I could trust him and right away I knew everything was gonna to be alright. He said his name was Jarod, and that he had something I needed to see. I followed him down the path. I'd seen it before, but somehow, in my mad dash to find peace, I'd failed to look in the most obvious place. Maybe that's the trick. You can't look for perfection, you have to let it find you.

When we reached the bottom, I looked around. The word "paradise" must have been written all across my face. The scene before me was... perfect. All the words in the world could not describe it, lord knows I've tried... but it's just... pure, somehow. A little spot of heaven in an otherwise tainted world.

We were in a secluded glade of forest and, as I said, it was perfect. The trees were green and healthy, yet wild, whispering with a sort of magic that the whole place possessed. You could smell it too, a sort of earthy, fresh scent, like on those winter mornings where there's a frost and the air awakens part of your soul, or in the summer, when you can smell the rain coming like a great wave of oncoming something that you just can't put your finger on...

I sat on the ground and shed my shoes and socks, and he followed suit. I like to feel the earth under my feet. Perhaps it reminds me of my child hood, and all the things I left behind. He obviously felt the magic here too, because neither of us had said a word since I'd taken up his challenge. It was almost like we didn't want to disrupt the companionable silence that had fallen between us. After a time, it seemed as though he could almost feel my thoughts... but then maybe he just remembered the feelings he'd had the first time he was down here... hell, I still feel them everytime I come back.

As I looked around, I couldn't quite believe what I saw, that anything could ever be so truely perfect.. But how could I deny it when it was all around me, drawing me in, weaving me into it's spell. It had captured me, just as it had captured him, just as it has captured everyone else who has ever been here. And as I stood there, still in a clearing, I knew the reason I was brought here, and I started to cry. This was peace, here, in this place. This was what every minute of every hour of every day was supposed to be like. He came and put his arms around me. Somehow I knew that he'd done the very same thing, the first time he had come here.

The day slowly drawled along, and I savored every moment of it. I was sad when the sun set and we had go. But I knew we would both be back. Maybe not together, but we would be back. Maybe I would bring a friend, maybe a stranger, but I know just what I would say...

"Follow me down..." in that very same tone as he had said it me. I will be back and maybe, next time, you'll follow me down...?