Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own the Pretender, it is used without permission. I do not own the song used in this fic, it is copyright Meredith Brooks.



Just a Gift
Andrea




The beeping of my neighbor’s alarm clock alerted me to the fact that it was five in the morning. Minutes later, a CD started. I started to curse the thin walls of the shabby apartment, then stopped. I began to listen to the music drifting through the walls.


"I hate the world today
Your so good to me, I know
but I can't change
Tried to tell you but you looked at me like maybe I'm an angel underneath innocent and sweet"



Those words reminded me of somebody…

As soon as I heard the next part, I knew that these words were perfect for Parker…


"Yesterday I cried
You must have been relieved to see the softer side
I can understand how you'd be so confused
I don't envy you
I'm a little bit of everything
all rolled into one"



I didn’t need to hear anymore. I ran next door, and asked what the name of the song was. When I had a name, I went back to my apartment, and went online. I quickly found a CD store, and ordered a custom made CD, with that song on it, among some others I liked, and some I knew Parker liked. After I completed the form, I grabbed my jacket and headed out the door to my next Pretend.

A few days later, my CD arrived in the mail. It was a welcome escape, if even for a few minutes. My new pretend was a bit difficult, I was involved in clearing a doctor of a malpractice suit. Remind me not to get mixed up in those kinda pretends again! Uuh! Being a lawyer is definintely annoying! Almost as annoying as being Argyle’s friend. Just the thought of Argyle hurt. Especially after my last pretend as "Dick Dixson, PI" I swear, my nose is still crooked.

I eagerly put my files away, and headed for the post office.



A Few Days Later

Willie walked up to Miss Parker, and handed her an envelope. "This just arrived for you, Miss Parker."

Parker looked at him with barely contained fury, ever since he’d tried to kill her, she wanted to kill him…some day she would. Eye for an eye. After all, he did follow Raines, the wheezing Deacon. It would fit. She took the package, and Willie almost ran away. He knew when to be scared.

"What’s that?" Sydney asked.

"Another one of Jarod’s little gifts," Parker replied. She tore open the envelope, revealing a CD case. Looking at the listed tracks, I started to say, "What the hell…"

"Oh, cool," Broot said. "A CD. What’s on it?"

Ignoring Broots, I said, "I’m leaving early. I have some stuff to do." I went to my office, stuffed some files in my leather case, grabbed my coat, and left.

Once in my car, I slipped the CD into the player. A song started to play, a song I knew Jarod loved. I’d found the CDs he’d left at previous lairs. That song was almost always among the pile. A few more songs followed, all favorite’s of Jarod. Then, some of my fav songs started. At first, I wondered how he knew…but the answer came quickly to mind. Jarod’s always sneaking into my house.

I arrived at home before the CD was finished, so I listened to it while I made myself my usual after work drink.


I hate the world today
Your so good to me, I know
but I can't change
Tried to tell you but you looked at me like maybe I'm an angel underneath innocent and sweet


Yesterday I cried
You must have been relieved to see the softer side
I can understand how you'd be so confused
I don't envy you
I'm a little bit of everything
all rolled into one



I'm a b*tch
I'm a lover
I'm a child
I'm a mother
I'm a sinner
I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell
I'm you dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

So take me as I am
This may mean you'll have to be a stronger man
Rest assured that when I start to make you nervous
And I'm going to extremes
Tomorrow I will change
and today won't mean a thing

I'm a b*tch I'm a lover
I'm a child
I'm a mother
I'm a sinner
I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell
I'm you dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

Just when you think you got me figured out
The season's already changin'
I think it's cool you do whatcha do
and don't try to save me

I'm a b*tch
I'm a lover
I'm a child
I'm a mother
I'm a sinner
I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell
I'm you dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

I'm a b*tch
I'm a tease
I'm a goddess on my knees
When you're hurt
When you suffer
I'm your angel undercover
I've been numb
I'm revived
Can't say I'm not alive
You know I wouldn't want it ANY other way


At the end of the song, Jarod called. "What!" I screamed into the phone.

"Little feisty today, aren’t we?" he asked, sounding far away.

"What do you want, Jarod?"

"Did you like my gift?"

"What does it mean, Jarod? I’m not in the mood for games."

"Are you ever in the mood?" he asked.

His words were true, I knew. "No."

"It doesn’t mean anything, Parker. Nothing. I just sent you a regular gift. No strings, no games attached."

"Gee, thanks. What am I supposed to do, fall on my knees and thank you?" I asked sarcastically.


There was silence at the other end. Finally, Jarod answered, "Parker, I told you, I don’t mean anything by it. Its just a gift. Something I thought you would like. Besides, one of the songs reminded me of you. Its almost an exact description."

I slammed the phone, unable to stand him any longer. Even though he said it wasn’t a game, to him, everything is a game…I don’t know any longer. I’m so tired of it…

That happened a few months ago. Now, I awake to that CD every morning…




Ok, guys! I have had this idea for a fic for a few weeks, ever since I got a CD with that song, B*tch on it. I thought it really applied to Parker. This fic had basically no idea, but hey…hope you still liked itJ

Andrea