Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer see part 1
Many thanks to Kylie Leadbitter. I hope you remember that you once volunteered to become part of this story. Sorry it took so long.

An Imaginative View Of The World 53/?

Someone was gently stroking her face. She slowly opened her eyes. What universe was this? She was in hospital. That left quite a few choices. She slowly turned her head and looked at a young man who was sitting next to her bed and who had been stroking her face.
"Hey Kyla," he whispered and smiled a sad smile. She heard the door open and saw Dr. Fraiser entering the room.
"I see your girlfriend's conscious again. She's quite a stubborn young lady. Did you do anything to wake her?"
"Me? No. Simply sitting here and holding her hand."
"You know, Michael, that she should be sleeping."
Kyla wanted to protest. Wanted to tell them that she was alright. Wanted to ask what was going on and where the hell she was. But she couldn't move. Was this reality? Michael by her side, holding her hand. But why was Fraiser here and why had she called her Michael's girlfriend? She didn't remember anything like that. Had she forgotten some things? Or was this a different kind of reality? An alternate reality maybe where things were going different than in the real world? But that would mean there was another new universe.
She wanted to protest when Fraiser pushed a few buttons on the computer next to her bed. She heard a strange hissing sound and felt her eyelids getting heavier. She tried to look at Michael again but he was only a blur of colors. If this was reality she wanted to be back to where she really belonged. If this was just another one of her dream worlds this was where she wanted to end – and not go back to the real world anymore.

–—

Hospital. She was still here? The windows were open and fresh air streamed inside. Or had she changed to another universe? She had no idea. She fingered for the implant in her arm. Gone. She looked at her wrist. The protection band was gone. The door opened. A girl about her age entered.
"Hi, are you Kyla? I'm Kylie. Doc Fraiser told me to pay you a visit."
Without waiting for an answer Kylie sat down on the chair next to Kyla's bed. She smiled and looked intently at Kyla.
"Doc Fraiser said you're having a problem with - what did she say - discerning reality from fiction. Sounds odd, doesn't it?"
"Does she have to tell everybody? Why did I tell her about it the first place?"
"Don't worry, Kyla, she's saying the same thing about me."
"About you? Why?"
And then Kylie told her her story and it sounded so much like her own. She had found out that she had to die in universes as well but she didn't want to. Kylie like the shuffling and wasn't concerned that she might never go back to reality.
"What for? I can do everything I like to do in the real world: reading, going to the movies, watching TV, working with my computer, playing games, going to the internet, writing and reading emails, so where's the problem? I'm happy here, Kyla, I don't want to go back, do you?"
"I don't know. Some universes are wonderful and I wish I could stay there but others aren't that great. And wherever I go I cause chaos and people get hurt. That can't be the order of things. Something is wrong but I don't know what it is. Do you understand what I mean?"
"Yes, I understand that. Wherever I go people start loving each other. I mean, Jarod and Parker love each other, that's obvious, but Bridgette and Lyle? And Daddy Parker starts loving Zoë? Where's the sense in that?"
Kylie and Kyla grinned. That sounded too funny. The door opened and Doc Fraiser entered the room.
"Ah, I see the two of you are getting along quite well. How are you two? Oh, and when we're finished talking, Michelle's here and wants to see you."
Kyla nodded and Kylie just shot her a quizzical look. Tell you later, Kyla mouthed.
"Your heartbeat seems quite regular now. If you want to you can leave tonight but you have to come back for an examination tomorrow. But you can as well stay overnight if you want to talk to Kylie for a while. It already is 4 p.m."
"I don't like hospitals but if I can talk to Kylie for a while longer I will stay if Kylie doesn't mind."
"I don't mind at all. It's great to have someone to talk to and who doesn't think I'm crazy," Kylie smiled. "And someone who understands what I'm talking about!" she grinned and winked.
"I have no idea what you girls are talking about but I'm sure you're enjoying yourselves. Dinner will be served at half past five if you're staying."
"Guess I will be."
"OK then. Kylie, would you mind to leave for a few minutes? Kyla's aunt is here to talk to her."
"Don't leave, it's alright if she's staying. I don't have any secrets."
"If you insist." She shrugged and walked out of the room.
"Don't be scared if you see my so called aunt, it's some kind of Miss Parker."
Shortly after the door opened again and Michelle Parker entered the room. She shot the girls a smile and sat down on the bed since Kylie occupied the chair.
"Janet said you're fine. That's great to hear. And you've chosen to stay overnight. Would you mind if I left you here alone?"
"Oh come on, I'm no baby anymore. I can look after myself. This is Kylie. She's a friend of mine."
"Hi Kylie, I'm Michelle Parker, I'm Kyla's aunt. How are you?"
"F-f-fine, thanks."
"Haven't I seen you before? Are you attending the same school as Kyla?"
Kylie only nodded, too dumbfounded to speak. Kyla only hoped that Dr. Fraiser hadn't told Michelle about Kylie's "condition". But if she was contented to know that Kylie was going to school with her that was fine.
"OK, sweetheart, I'll see you tomorrow then. Enjoy your evening and don't stay up too long. I don't think you're perfectly healthy at the moment and you definitely need loads of sleep!" Michelle said and kissed Kyla on the forehead. She shook Kylie's hand before she left the room. Kylie just stared after her.
"Do you know what I mean? There are some universes where things are definitely wrong. This is one of them."
"My goodness, what did you do to her?"
""Me? Nothing. She was that way ever since I came to that universe. But Krystal and KB thought the same."
"You've seen them? Here?"
"Yeah, they've been at our home. But can you help me with something?" she asked and Kylie nodded. "Something's missing in my puzzle."
"What puzzle?"
"I'm trying to make sense of all this. There are shifts to what I think is my reality. But there are people from a TV series in it. It's like this universe. Parker and Dr. Fraiser. Fraiser belongs to the Stargate universe."
"Stargate? I've never watched it but she seemed familiar, yes. Do you know another movie she has played in?"
"Masterminds with Patrick Stewart? She was the teacher who was held hostage with the kids."
"Yeah, I know that one. But what is she doing here?"
"Good question. She has turned up in a few other universes as well. And then there's the thing with dying. Each time I die in a universe it ends. Does the whole universe end or does it keep existing? And why are there so many people from the pretendfic mailing list? I've met Krystal, KB, Myra and you. And I know that Terry Farrell, the actress from Star Trek, is in the shifting thing as well. If it's true that all this happens while you're in a coma, how can it be that so many people I know happen to be in that state at the moment?"
"Wait a sec. Coma? How do you know that?"
"I know that Terry Farrell has had a car crash and is in a coma and in the universe which I think is the real world I was told that I was in a coma as well."
"I didn't know that. I thought that this was just a dream. A wonderful dream that kept recurring every night."
"You've been to the real world during the day?"
"Sometimes, I think, yes. Now that you ask directly, I think so. How can I be sure if it's the real world?"
"The same questions I've been asking myself. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's trying to make sense of the things going on. In the Star Trek universes I've encountered some kind of spatial anomaly. And while I'm in those universes it makes sense. But here it seems like science fiction. That can't be it, can it?"
"Well, depends on your point of view. Theoretically it's possible. But you know theory and the real world. There are certain – differences."
Kyla nodded. She knew that sentence only too well. How often had someone told her to stop dreaming about Star Trek and that all the technology was just science fiction. But everything was theoretically possible. But only theoretically. They kept on talking and talking without noticing how fast the time went by.
"Time for dinner, girls," said a nurse from the door and smiled at them. "Kylie, Doctor Fraiser said that you could change rooms if you wanted and stay here with Kyla."
"That's cool, yeah, I'd like that. Thank you."
"Thank her yourself. She'll be paying you a visit after dinner. Enjoy your meal."
Without interrupting their talking they finished their meal: curry chicken with rice. When she was finished Kyla looked at Kylie.
"This is like a déja vue. When I've been to the Stargate universe I've had the same meal. Even the dishes were the same. There were another few things that I don't understand. In this universe I've held a photo album in my hands with a Starfleet insignia on the front. I doubt that Michelle Parker likes Star Trek. And sometimes people start talking like they had watched too much Star Trek and in the universe I've been to I've encountered someone from a Star Trek series but not the character herself but the actress. She wasn't the actress but someone else. God, I'm babbling, sorry. Do you know what I mean?"
"Yeah, kind of. You mean that it's like an actor who's playing a different role. Would be the same if Fraiser's name wouldn't be Fraiser but – whatever – Miller. She would still be the same person only with a different name. I know that phenomenon. You should know it best. Just look at Parker in this universe. Her name is still Parker but she has nothing to do with the Centre and we're not even near Blue Cove, not even near Delaware."
"By the way, what are you doing here?"
Kylie grinned. "I don't know if you'd understand."
"Try me."
"I tried to get away from this universe by drowning myself in a lake."
Kyla grinned too. "I understand you perfectly. That was about the same that happened to me. Well, I didn't try to drown but I nearly did. There's a little pixie that comes with me to different universes. It can also help me cross over to other universes. I named her Tinkerbell because she looks like the fairy from Peter Pan."
"Is she real? Can she do magic?"
"Yeah, I think so. She has helped me quite a few times and I wonder where she is for I haven't seen her for quite some time. When I meet her the next time I try to convince her to come with me so she can meet you."
They were disrupted in their talk by Doctor Fraiser who entered the room.
"Hey girls, how do you feel? Good news for both of you: after the examinations tomorrow you're allowed to go home. I can't find anything to keep you here longer. Even though both of you seem to have some kind of problem."
"These problems are mental, aren’t they?" Kylie asked and smiled.
"That depends on what you call a problem. I'd say both of you are dreamers. Dreaming can't be described as a mental problem. No, that's fine. Oh, Kylie, your brother is here," Fraiser said after looking at the door. Someone had stuck his head through the opening.
"May I come in?" he asked and the three nodded. The opened fully and Jarod stepped inside.
"Hey little sister, how are you?"
"Fine, I'm allowed to go home tomorrow."
"Cool. Hi, I'm Michael Leadbitter," he introduced himself and stretched out his hand to shake Kyla's who had to suppress a smile. Exactly what they had been talking about. Same face, different name, different person.
"Just wanted to see if you're alright. I was on my way home from work and thought I'd stop by. But since you're in good company I might as well leave. Mom's waiting at home. She needs me in the garden and my daughter has something to show me as well. See you tomorrow then."
He kissed her on the cheek and off he went. Kyla smiled.
"Exactly what we've been talking about," she grinned and Kylie nodded.
"Now, girls, I need to tell you a few things before I let you go tomorrow. I don't know if I can believe what you told me but since both of you told me the same story I'm tempted to believe it even though it sounds completely odd. Do you have anything to prove it?"
Kylie shook her head. Kyla looked at her arm. Both the tattoo and the implant were gone. She had nothing to prove it so she shook her head as well. Then she heard a sound like something soft had fallen to the ground. She looked around the room and there was Tinkerbell.
"Can you see her?" she asked and Kylie's and Dr. Fraiser's head turned.
"See what?" Fraiser asked.
"Tinkerbell, please, let them see you. I need to prove that Kylie and I are not lying."
Tinkerbell grinned and appeared. Fraiser gasped and so did Kylie. Tinkerbell flew over to Kyla and sat down on her shoulder.
"Are you getting smaller? You looked bigger when I saw you the last time."
"Yup. It's great, isn't it? So, don't you want to introduce me?"
"Sorry, this is Kylie and this is Doctor Fraiser. Guys, this is Tinkerbell."
"Well, that's definitely unbelievable. I can't do anything but believe you now. Tell me, Tinkerbell, what exactly are you?"
"I'm a Shiran. Kyla gave me the name Tinkerbell when I was assigned to her. And I can read your thoughts. Don't you dare doing what you just thought. I'm no good as a guinea-pig, whatever that is."
"You were assigned to Kyla, what does that mean?"
"She was in need of help and I heard her thoughts so I went to help her. I have to stay with her until I have my final size then I can go elsewhere."
"Your final size?" Kylie asked, "What does that mean?"
"With every wish that is granted to Kyla and that goes right I will shrink. When we start existing we are quite big but our final size is about the size of a sand grain, some of us even manage to become smaller. That is what we Shirans strive for. And I hope that Kyla's wishes aren't getting harder because I don't know how much more I can do. So now, don't you think it's time to get to another universe?"
"What happens if you leave?" Fraiser asked.
"It's kind of leaving my body. I will fall unconscious or go to sleep in this universe and wake up in another one. Isn't it time to sleep anyway?"
"Not really but you can try. May I stay and watch?"
"There's nothing to see," Tinkerbell said, "But I don't mind if you stay here and watch over Kyla. Kylie, do you have Shiran as well?"
"No, I don't. Why?"
"Do you need one?"
"Not really, I'm in no trouble at all and I think I can manage on my own. But once you're finished with Kyla I don't mind if you come to stay with me for a while. I could need a genie that grants me three wishes."
"No problem. But it might take a while. Kyla's quite demanding concerning her wishes – and don't even think that, Kyla. I don't like jars."
Kyla grinned and leaned back in her bed.
"I know it's much to ask but would you leave this universe while you're standing? I can't quite believe it yet. I will catch you when you fall."
Kyla cocked an eyebrow and looked at Tinkerbell who just shrugged.
"I don't care, your decision, Kyla."
Kyla nodded and got out of bed. Tinkerbell sat down on her hand and blinked her eyes. The little stars started to spread and to Janet Fraiser's surprise Tinkerbell vanished into thin air. The same moment Kyla's body went limb and sank to the ground. Janet caught her and smiled. She couldn't believe what she had just seen. Together with Kylie she laid Kyla's unconscious body onto the bed.

–—