Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer see part 1

An Imaginative View Of The World Part 49/?
by CHris

She felt like she had been run over by a truck. Her head was throbbing, everything hurt. Where was she and what had happened? She had no idea.
The girl had moaned. Sam jumped up and went over to the bed. She felt guilty but she had only followed orders from Major Hammond who had ordered them to sedate the girl and do every examination necessary to find out who she was and what had happened and what kind of technology was implanted in her arm. Now she was waking up. Everything had turned out to be OK. And she had said to have come from the future. Well, the technology definitely hadn't been invented yet but the girl herself was from this time. She had been out for a few hours, Janet had sedated her but the dose of Morphium Sulfate would have been enough to knock out a male the size of Teal'c – and Kyla was maybe half his size. But that had been enough time to do every possible examination, test and x-ray they needed and even more.
"Hey, honey, how do you feel?" she asked and sat down on the bed. Kyla turned her head and looked at Sam. She couldn't see her clearly.
"Where am I? What happened?"
"You're in the infirmary. You're alright."
"Major Carter?"
"Yes. How do you feel?"
"Good question. Once I've sorted out my three heads I can tell you."
Samantha grinned and called for Dr. Fraiser to join her. She smiled and checked the readings on the computers that were standing around her bed.
"Sorry about what happened," Fraiser said, "but we had our orders. We have everything we need and can try to sort things out now. If you feel fit enough I'll call General Hammond."
Kyla nodded. It felt strange. Dr. Fraiser was a completely different person but still the same face. Every universe had its own people and even though they looked the same they had a different personality. In the last universe Fraiser had seemed closer to her than she was now. She was a doctor after all but this time it felt different. Kyla had talked to her like she would talk to a teacher. It had felt natural to talk to her but in this universe Fraiser seemed untouchable and somehow far above her. She had to admit that she was a little afraid of her. Very opposite to Major Carter. Kyla felt as if she'd known her for ever even though she had entered this universe not so long ago and everything had gone wrong – from her point of view. She remembered something Colonel O'Neill had said in one episode: If you're not sure, shoot first, ask later. Well, they had definitely shot first. The door opened and General Hammond entered the room.
"There's our little alien. Sorry we had to knock you out for a while. How do you feel?"
"It's getting better, Sir. You could have just asked me to cooperate with the examinations."
"Yes, I could have but the alien technology in your arm was something that made me suspicious. I thought you were another trick of the Goa'uld. I was told you wanted to talk to me. What do you have to say that's so important and how do you know who I am?"
Carter was standing next to her bed now so was Dr. Fraiser. General Hammond took a stool and sat down. He eyed her a little suspiciously but didn't say anything. Kyla told her story like she had told it many times before. Every time she had to tell more because more things were happening and she tried to remember as much as she could so it would be easier for them to understand. She knew that Major Carter was a specialist concerning wormholes so maybe she would be able to help and maybe she would find a way to bring her home. When she had finished her story she looked at Hammond.
"Sir, why did you call me a little alien?"
"I haven't had time to read Dr. Fraiser's report yet and the last time I checked everything screamed to me that you were not human. But if you give me some time to read the report and try to understand what you just told me I will review my first impression. But from what you told me you're far from being an alien."
"Thank you, Sir. But to tell you something: I'm from Minnesota and that is no alien territory. Or you would have to call Colonel O'Neill an alien as well."
"You know very much about us, how's that possible?"
"I don't know if you understand it if I say so – but in another universe Stargate has been a TV series just like Star Trek is to you."
"That doesn't sound very convincing to me but it would explain why you know so much about the Stargate program and its people. Give me some time to read through the reports Dr. Fraiser gave to me and then I'll be back with a few questions. And you're staying in bed. I'll keep an armed guard at the door and under no circumstances are you allowed to leave the infirmary, understood? Oh, what do want me to call you?"
"Kyla, sir."
"OK, Kyla, I'll be back later. Dr. Fraiser, give her something to eat. She looks like she's starving."
Hammond shot her a little smile and left the infirmary. Starving? Kyla tried to remember when she had eaten the last time. She didn't remember. She didn't even remember when she had had something to drink. And to be true – she didn't even know when she had been to the toilet the last time. Well, yes, she remembered, that had been before her mother had made her go to the shrinker. She had had a wonderful lunch – a toast with cheese, onions, salad and vinegar sauce and a whole bottle of diet coke – and before she had left the house she had been to the toilet. But not once had she felt the urge to do so in any of the universes. She had had a cup of tea in the Buffyverse and a piece of chocolate. But she couldn't remember to have had a real meal in any of the universes. It didn't matter. She wasn't really hungry but General Hammond's idea had been great.
"You can choose between curry chicken with rice and spaghetti. And you should try the dessert!"
"Whatever you say, Major."
"Oh, come on. A little more enthusiasm. The casino serves great food! I'll bring you something to eat and meanwhile leave you in the doctor's capable hands."
Carter smiled and left the room. Dr. Fraiser came to stand next to her bed. She looked a little uncomfortable.
"You know, we did a few x-rays and other examinations to find out more about the implant in your arm. But somehow we can't figure out what it really does and if it poses a threat or not. I know that you insist on being human and that you have no connection to the Goa'uld but this thing in your arm and the line you call protection spell make me feel uneasy."
"That means you're asking my permission to cut it out, are you?"
"Kind of, yes."
Kyla stopped in her thoughts. It didn't make sense. If the implant had come along to the past maybe it would work?
"Before you do so, I'd like to try something. I know you don't really trust me but if the implant works I should be able to beam me out of here."
"Beaming? Nice. What makes you so sure that I let you do it? It could well be a weapon."
"I'm calling on your scientific interest. What if it DOES work? What if can just beam away?"
"You'd be gone. Good, but how would you come back? If you ever came back?"
"That's a good question and I don't know an answer. I'd say that I end up here eventually but I'm not sure – that's just a guess. And to be true: I don't care whether you allow it or not, I'm doing it anyway."
"What if I order you not to do it?"
"Can you give me an order? You're a doctor and you can overrule any order given by Major Hammond but I'm not one of your officers. I'm a civilian!"
"You're no civilian, you've been wearing a uniform. Kyla, please. Let's discuss this like normal people would. I know you're angry at me for what I've done but I didn't mean to harm you in any way. And you're not doing yourself a favor. If you return I will have to keep you restrained or sedated the whole time. Don't do it, please."
"Promise me not to try to remove it."
"I won't if you don't consent. You have my word."
"OK. But how do I know if it works?"
"You will find out. First you have something to eat and later we'll talk it through with General Hammond. You're under his command and you're to follow his orders – or mine. Please be the sensible woman I take you for."
The door opened and Major Carter entered the room. She was carrying a tray with food: curry chicken with rice, a huge bowl of salad, something with green and blue stripes Kyla supposed to be the dessert and two cans of diet coke.
"That's what I would have for lunch if I hadn't already eaten. I hope you like it. Hey, what's the matter? You two look like you've had a fight. Everything OK?"
"We had a little discussion but I think we found a solution to the problem."
"Yeah, we're fine. Who's coming for lunch? You don't want me to eat up, do you?"
"That's a small ration. If it were my lunch it would be more."
"How do you do that? You're as skinny as a rake and you can eat that much. While I look at the food I feel that I'm getting fatter."
Samantha Carter grinned and put the tray down onto a table. She sat down onto the far end of the bed and watched Kyla. Now that the food was standing in front of her she didn't feel hungry at all. It looked and smelled great – except for the dessert. She didn't like the stripes. Without much enthusiasm she ate a few bites.
"Already finished?"
"I'm not really hungry."
"Would you mind if I finished it for you?"
"Go on, I don't mind."
She pushed the tray towards Carter who magicked a fork from her pocket and began eating. Kyla took a can and drank some coke. That felt much better than eating. In her head had been a theory that had evolved during the last few shifts but she wasn't sure. What if she wasn't in hospital, dying, and this weren't just dreams of a dying mind but what if all this was real? She was able to eat and drink and it felt real. Everything felt real. Very real. But then – what was the "real" reality? Or maybe she was in a loony bin – because of what was going on in her mind or it was something Buffy had experienced when a demon had injected her some kind of poison that made her hallucinating? She had to admit that she couldn't discern reality from fiction anymore just like the psychologist had said. She felt like her had was spinning. Carter looked at her.
"Everything alright? You look a little pale. Janet?" she called for Dr. Fraiser who came running from the opposite corner of the room. "Janet, can you take a look at her? She – she looks ill."
"I'm not ill. Just too many thoughts in my head I can't sort out," Kyla protested.
"Maybe you should sleep. Have you had something to eat?"
"No, she hadn't. Just a few bites."
"Not eating won't help you, Kyla. We can feed you by force if we have to. For a start an IV will do. And don't try to protest, you know I'm the one giving orders in here," Dr. Fraiser said with a very small smile playing around her lips.
"No needles, please. I hate needles."
"Lie down and relax. Sam, can you take the tray and the table away? We need some space."
Kyla closed her eyes when she saw Dr. Fraiser coming towards her with a needle in her hand. She felt the cold steel sliding under her skin. She stiffened but Fraiser did a good job. It hadn't hurt at all. She opened her eyes again. Fraiser smiled down on her and patted her shoulder.
"Don't worry, we'll take good care of you. Now you'll stay in bed and we'll do another test. Sam wanted to have a closer look at the implant in your arm and I want to ask you a few questions. Our machines can tell us a lot but some things are hidden deep within the human mind."
"At the same time?"
"Sure, you don't need your arm to answer questions, do you?"
She felt Carter touching her arm and was tempted to look at what she was doing but Dr. Fraiser sat down on the bed with a clipboard with many pages filled with questions.
"First things first: Full name, date and place of birth."
"Kyla Amanda Parker. Born November 11, 1986 in St. Paul, Minnesota."
"Do you know where we are?"
"Cheyenne Mountain Complex."
"What do you know about the Stargate?"
"Built by an ancient people, is able to create a stable wormhole where matter can be transported in two direction. Needs loads of energy, you need a DHD when you want to dial the coordinates to come home, there's a gate in the Antarctica, the Russians have one, it is built of a material named Na'quada, don't know is there more to know? Major Carter's the specialist. OUCH!"
She looked at her arm. Carter had been quite gentle so far but the last thing had hurt.
"What have you done?" Fraiser asked.
"Nothing. I wanted to check if there were some energy readings and it somehow backfired. Janet, if you're finished with your questions I'd like to see if this works – if you agree."
"You mean you would allow her to beam out of here? That is science fiction. I doubt it will work. But sure. I don't mind."
Samantha and Kyla looked at each other. Carter nodded and Kyla gently pressed the implant. Nothing happened.
"It doesn't work. It's the first time it has come with me to a universe where this kind of technology hasn't been invented yet. But I don't know why it's still here."
"Doesn't matter. It was just a test. But would you mind if I took a tissue sample from your wrist? This green band that has given me such a fright and disappeared seems like some kind of alien technology."
"Dr. Fraiser, why are you still eager to prove that I'm an alien?"
"I know you're not but the technology you own is. It will hurt a little. I need a piece of your skin – only a very small piece," she added after a look at Kyla's face, "just a scratch."
"Only if you're finished asking questions."
"I am," she grinned, "give me your hand."
The moment Dr. Fraiser touched her wrist with the little scalpel it seemed to explode in a whirl of colors that sent Fraiser flying away and threw Kyla back into unconsciousness.