Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

1) Paper Snowflakes (the original, isn't a sequel)
2) To Dance In An English Garden
3) A Night To Remember
4) The Trick Is To Keep Breathing
5) Life In A Heartbeart
6) With Me (the last in the series)



With Me
2/8
By Orania Lemke



She was getting stronger, thank god. Obviously not up to par just yet, but still there was that incredible relief he felt every time she sat up or laughed, hell, every time she spoke. He'd picked a nightgown from her clothes upstairs, and while he didn't quite understand why she'd smiled as she'd fingered the dark blue silk, he'd been grateful to see it all the same.

She was asleep now. Still drained, and no wonder, he realized, looking over the past few days. Just two days ago, she'd awakened from a coma he himself had induced. He frowned. Some choices are necessary, but that didn't make them any easier.

"Jarod?" Sydney called from the apartment door.

He turned. "Yeah?"

"Ready to move her?"

He nodded. "Out in a sec."

Sydney headed back down the hall to the elevator. In the apartment, he stood watching her for a moment more, then reached down and gently picked her up. He was taking her up to the top penthouse, where she'd be more comfortable, and he could stay close to her. She hadn't minded, but had fallen asleep before they could help her walk that far. Even that wasn't a thought Jarod liked. What was the point in having her drain her energy, when he could just as easily carry her?

Broots was holding the elevator for them; the ride was done in silence, but it was a peaceful silence. For the first time in a long while, things actually seemed to be looking up.

Stepping into the penthouse, Jarod carried her into the master bedroom without thinking, then walked back out into the living room, joining the other two. "Let's order Italian for tonight."

~~~~~~~~~

As she slowly woke up, Parker's first thought was relief that the pain wasn't so bad. Her body was finally healing. Her second thought was that she'd kill for some pasta. A third thought, following a split-second behind the last, was more of a smiling realization as she sniffed the wonderful aroma of food from another room.

The bedroom door opened, and Jarod appeared, carrying a steaming plate of fettuccine and French bread.

"You read my mind," she grinned, taking the plate from him.

"Of course. Never expect anything less from a pretender."

She'd felt strong enough, so she'd taken the plate and walked out to the dining room, and actually eaten dinner with the guys. Afterwards, however, she realized how drained the effort had left her, and immediately headed back to bed.

A little after eleven that night, Jarod was curled up on the sofa in black boxers and a gray t-shirt, reading, when muffled calls caught his attention. Concerned, he made a beeline for the master bedroom. He paused at the door, listened; sure enough, the sounds were coming from Parker. He opened the door and peered inside, and Parker, who had been tossing and calling out, soon stilled. Just as he reached the bed, her eyes fluttered open.

"Hi," she whispered sleepily, frowning at the last images of er nightmare.

"Hi yourself," he said with worry. "You okay?"

"Oh, yeah, just a dream." She sat up, and rubbed her throat. Weak as she was, even that small amount of loud speaking was enough to make her soar.

"I'll get you a drink," he offered, heading into the master bathroom. He filled a glass, and brought it back to her. She thanked him, took a few sips, then set the glass down next to the lamp. "I should have left some water for you," he added apologetically. "Sorry."

She smiled. "Don't be. Besides, I'm the one that's sorry--you shouldn't have to go through all this trouble."

Stern-faced, he sat down on the bed beside her, and took hold of her hands. "Hey, listen to me, okay? You have nothing to apologize for. And taking care of you is not a burden."

"Thank you," she murmured earnestly.

Jarod nodded, then pointed to her pillow. "Sleep." He gave her shoulder a comforting squeeze. "You need the rest."

Parker slid back under the covers, and nestled her head in the pillow. Jarod walked to the door, and was about to leave when she called out, "Wait." He turned to look at her. "Stay."

He closed the door, bathing them in semi-darkness, barely illuminated from the city lights outside. He came back to the bed, and drew a chair near, but she stopped him from sitting. Sliding over, she pulled back the covers. "Lie down." And he did so, without hesitation. He wrapped an arm around her waist, and they laced theirs fingers together. Jarod's warm breath tickled her cheek.

They lie in silence, neither that tired anymore. Parker, amazed at just how comforting this was, squeezed his hand and whispered, "You have no idea how much this means to me."

"Oh, I do." And he meant it. After everything they'd survived together, to nearly lose her again last week...

He turned his attention back to her. His wandering thoughts had obviously taken up some time; Parker had already fallen asleep. He remained motionless for a long time, just listening to her slow steady breaths. Then, an urge came over him that he just couldn't ignore. Carefully, so as not to wake her, Jarod pulled back her hair and placed a gentle kiss on the back of her neck. A small smile played across Parker's lips, she gave a happy murmur, but didn't wake up.

Suddenly, Jarod found himself marveling at every detail of her face. And it was that moment, at he was studying her closed eyes, that the truth hit him.

"Wow," he whispered in awe. And Parker, unbeknownst to what was happening in the real world, shifted slightly in her sleep, and held his hand a little tighter.

~~~~~~~~~

Sydney was unable to find Jarod anywhere else the next morning, and so headed into Parker's bedroom, thinking that maybe he'd spent yet another night at her bedside. He opened the door quietly, and froze at what he saw: Parker and Jarod in bed together, in the same spoon position that they'd curled up into the night before.

His face at that moment was an absolute study, as his mind attempted to sort out a hundred feelings and thoughts. Jarod would never take advantage of Parker, he knew that, and it wasn't as if she was even strong enough for them to actually do anything. Still, his fatherly instinct gave him the strong desire to yank Jarod out of that bed and deck him with whatever object was nearby, preferably something large and hard. And besides that was the knowledge that Jarod really cared for her, that she really cared for him, even if they hadn't admitted or realized it yet. And yet more thoughts came, until Syd's mind was far too muddled to actually think of anything useful. So, shaking his head, he closed the door silently and went to the kitchen to see to breakfast.

With a small sigh, Parker began to wake up, her movements waking Jarod as well. She turned to look at him, and smiled. "Hey there."

"Hi."

"Sleep well?"

"I feel well rested." Truth was, he hadn't gotten a wink of sleep before an hour or so earlier, but the time he'd spent absorbing what he'd realized had left him peculiarly energized.

"I haven't felt this good since...God, since before the ball." She saw his eyes darken, and hastily continued, "I bet it's gonna be a great day."

He smiled gratefully at her attempt at distraction, and agreed. "It certainly promises to be a new experience." She gave him a questioning look, which he ignored. Jarod got up from the bed and walked to the door. "I'll go get some coffee."

"Sounds great." He grinned, and left, if not a little reluctantly.

In the kitchen, that same grin was still plastered on his face as he poured two steaming cups. Sydney reappeared, and Jarod greeted him cheerfully.

"Sleep well?" Syd ventured.

Jarod paused momentarily, then continued to add sugar to his mug. "Fine, thanks."

"So you actually slept, then."

He turned to face Syd. "Nothing happened."

"I disagree." Jarod opened his mouth to reply sharply, so he hurried on, "Not that you actually did anything inappropriate, but I find it hard to believe that grin is there just for the hell of it."

Jarod briefly considered denying everything, but one look told him that Syd wouldn't fall for it. Instead, he just said, "Sometimes situations just force you into realizing things. When I first came to the Centre, I was this scared young boy, completely alone; then, she'd befriended me. I lost her once, when her father sent her away, and one of the most painful moments of my life was learning that she was to be my hunter. Then, I finally get her back, regain that precious friendship, in that cabin last Christmas, and our experiences in England only confirmed our strength together. If events had turned out differently this week, if...I had lost her. God, Syd, I don't even want to think about it."

"So that's what it took for you to see the light, hmm?"

"You know, we've all of us loved her, in our own way. We've been best friends, on and off, you've been closer to a father than Mr. Parker could ever be, and Broots depends on her controlled manner." Not to mention those sex dreams he's been having of her, Syd thought to himself. "But lately..."

Syd nodded. "I know, Jarod."

The grin reappeared. "You've always known, haven't you, Sydney?"

"Always."

"Always what?" came a curious voice behind them. Both men spun around, their faces reddening guiltily. "What?"

"Nothing. Just something Syd here noticed before I did. You know, even Sam--" Jarod stopped mid-sentence, then nearly tripped Syd in his attempt to quickly set the hot mugs down on the counter.

"Whoa, where's the fire?" Parker asked.

"The airport--" He glanced at the clock. "Shit! I've only got half an hour to get there."

"Huh?"

"I cannot believe I forgot!" Jarod was chiding himself as he ran into his bedroom -now Parker's- and grabbed pants and a shirt from the dresser. He reappeared a moment later, fully dressing, throwing on his jacket.

"What are you talking about?" Parker demanded.

"I'd completely forgotten," he explained, pausing in the penthouse doorway. "The airplane--it's supposed to land at 10:35. I've gotta go, I can't keep her waiting in that huge place."

"Who?!" the two shouted in unison.

Jarod looked back at them in surprise, as if that was aridiculous question. "Samantha, of course."