Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

*** The Pretender belongs to NBC and the creators. I have nothing to do with The Pretender. THis is meant for entertainment purposes only.
Calvin and Hobbes belongs to Bill Watterson. I don't have anything to do with him, either. ***



Jarod and Hobbes
part I
By CrackerJack
Based on an Idea
by Joyce






*-*-*-*-*
Calvin's Elementary School
Mrs. Wormwood's Class
9:00 am Friday


Spaceman Spiff had just crash-landed on the alien planet Zorg. Spotting a large crowd of Zlip headed into what appeared to be an Alien training Facility. Spiff thought fast. There was nothing else in sight, and he was low on provisions. There was only one thing spiff could do. For the good of the universe, Spiff decided to infiltrate the alien base. He followed a crowd of Zlip that appeared to be his height so as to better blend in with the crowd. They headed into a room. There were about thirty of them in the room, and after a bell sounded two more entered. They were almost twice the size of the zlip that were seated at the desks. One was fatter and shorter than the other, and he stepped forward and addressed the crowd.

"As you may know I am principal of this operation. Miss Wormwood was seized by our forces yesterday. In her place we are leaving this one." he gestured towards the other one. "Miller" Upon hearing this, spiff gasped, in spite of himself. They had kidnapped the innocent Mrs. Wormwood, and had replaced her with an evil Subsitiute.

"What have you done with her, you twisted space crustacean?!"Spiff shouted. Immediately he recognised his mistake. He was not Spaceman Spiff, He wasn't on an alien planet. He was Calvin, at school, in his class. His teacher was sick, and Miller was the subsitiute. The principal was glaring at him, but before he could respond, miller had cut in.

"Well, Mrs Wormwood has the flu. And unless you would like to catch it as well, she can't be here. I'm going to be here until she's better." then he added, "But if you want to send her flowers or a get well card, I can arrange something." He said it teasingly, and sent the whole class roaring laughter. Calvin sank into his chair and turned bright red. HE said nothing until the bell rang for lunch.

*-*-*

"Hey, Twinkie! It's gonna cost you 25¢ to be myt friend today." Moe grabbed Calvin by the shirt collar just as class let out for lunch. Calvin gulped. Moe had a habit of bullying him for money. Usually, he had given in. But not this time.

"What if I don't want to be your friend today?" He nagged."Then they'll be scraping you off the walls with a spatula"

Calvin had to ask. He was about to fork over the quarter, when he felt an ominous presence over him. He looked up and saw a trim, fit body, a questioning face, dark brown eyes, short black hair, and a mole under the right eye. It was mr. Miller. He was just standing there, staring at them. IT confused Moe. He was used to teachers yelling at them by now.

"We were just..uh..mr,..uh" He started to say."Miller." The subsitute introduced himself. "And I'm glad that you find time to 'play'in your busy scedule, but lunchtime is generally reserved for eating lunch, is it not?" This time Moe's face went red as well as Calvin's.

"Yes sir" they chorused as they took off down the hall. This was the second time Miller had embarassed him. Calvin was beginnning to hate mr. Miller.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Miller watched the children go down the hall and smiled to himself. He was well aware of the fact that Moe was trying to extort money from Calvin. He started towards the staff room.

"Jarod, isn't it?" the principal stopped him at the door. "I'd like to speak to you about calvin."

"Is there something wrong?" Jarod Miller asked. He'd only been teaching students this young once before. Besides, the principal might not like his way of dealing with things.

"No, nothing's wrong. I just want to congratulate you for your original thinking. When a student insults a teacher, they are usually sent to my office to be suspended. You shut him up, and ambarrassed him so he won't try it again for a while. And Calvin is the worst for carrying on."

It was obvious that Calvin saw quite a bit of the Principal's office."I just deal with it as I see it."

"I just want to know, that with a masters in English, Seven years of teacher's college and you become an elmentary substitute? You could be a prof in a university with credentials like that."

" I like working with kids. And Substituting lets me travel." Jarod proclamed.

"To each his own, I guess." the principal muttered as he entered the staff room.

*-*-*-*-*-

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
1 pm Friday


Miss Parker was not in the best if moods. There had been no word from her father in ages. The last thing he said was "Trust no one-except your brother"She was half Convinced, when that thing with the mail-order brides came up. Raines has gone "Alleluia" on everyone, and Lyle was running the place. And they had found NOTHING all morning. It was as if her whole world had gone to Cr*p after she was shot.She found Syd when she got in from lunch."Anything on Jarod?" She half-demanded." Syd handed her a fed-ex package and said "This came in while you were out." Miss P grabbed it and ripped it open. Inside was a box and an envelope. She handed Sydney the box and opened the envelope, and read the note inside.

"FINDING SOMEONE TO TRUST MIGHT BE FRUSTRATING NOW, BUT IN THE BOX IS
SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL NEVER LET YOU DOWN."

Needless to say, it was in Jarod's handwriting. Around this time they arrived at her office. She put down the note and took the box. At the top there was a polaroid. It depicted Jarod holding a white rabbit. The rabbit was nibbling on something and looking quite content, and Jarod was smiling his smile. In the background was Christmas decorations. She could guess when it was taken. She returned her attention to the box. Inside there was a carrot. SHe smiled for a split second, warmed by the image it gave her, then recovered herself and handed syd the fed-ex package.

"Take this to broots." She said. " Find out where it was sent from. "

*-*-*-*-*

Calvin's school
Mrs Wormwood's class
3:00 pm Friday


Mr. Miller was finishing the math lesson described in the plans left by Mrs Wormwood when the bell rang.

"Remember to do pages 115 and 116 for homework. Class dismissed. " That was what the class had been waiting for. They packed up their things and raced out of the class in record time. Calvin headed for his bus, and found a seat near the back. He was not thinking about anything in particular until Suzy Dirkins sat down next to him.

"So, what do you think about mr. Miller?" She teased him. "I think he's cuter than your tiger. He's really Funny." Calvin tried not to think to much of it and failed. "HHRMPH!" he grunted. HE wasn't sure who he disliked most.

"Sure you wouldn't like him. You were daydreaming again. If you hadn't yelled at him, he wouldn't have embarrassed you.!" She giggled as she found a seat with her friends. Calvin sat and stewed. Now he knew who he hated more. Miller. The whole way home, all the kids talked about was the way Miller teased him in class. If only there was some way to get even . . .

END, PART ONE