Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own The Pretender or anything related to it. It is owned by NBC, TNT, and Craig and Steve. No profit is being made and no infringement is intended.

Author's Notes:
Yet another crazy Miss Parker vignette. I seem to be getting rather good at these. (Probably because she's so damn easy to write for!) Kind of recycled a tired idea in my own way. Hmm.

Summary: There is nothing more uplifting or depressing than receiving judgment from a parent, except when that judgment is made by a hypocrite.

Judgment
by: chopsticks
p g - 1 3

-----


She snapped the sleek black phone closed, silencing the protesting voice from thousands of miles away. She tossed it harshly, the plastic object (the height of mobile communications, according to the salesperson back in Blue Cove) bouncing off of the car door and landing somewhere between the door and seat. The way her luck was going today, it probably landed in that unreachable crevice, and she'd be forced to eventually try to fish it out with a stick of some sort.

It always worked out that way.

Then again, things seemed to be going against the grain recently. After all, when she was twelve and oh-so-innocently naïve, she had not envisioned the relationship being like this.

Of course she had been naïve. All twelve-year-olds were, despite any protests--if Debbie Broots was any kind of example, there were lots of protests--they might make.

In later years, she still imagined with what little imagination she had left. She imagined a relationship of respect; a relationship where betrayals--now a constant in her life, she noted bitterly--would not be commonplace.

Unfortunately, they were, and all of her wishes, hopes, and dreams could not change that.

But, oh, she still served him faithfully. And why not? Was he not her father? If nothing else, one should always remain loyal to family. She had been taught that at a young age, as had millions--nay, billions--over uncountable ages. Family is considered one of, if not the, most important things in a person's life. It is the way of the world.

She had been nothing but loyal. She had her own side interests, of course, and now, thanks to Jarod, had a thirst to know more about her traitorous family.

Despite all she had learned, she still remained loyal. She would be nothing--just another meaningless cog in an even more meaningless machine--without her family.

Yet he dared to judge her. Her anger swelled to a crescendo, and she pressed down harder on the accelerator. The car revved and leaped forward. A satisfied yet terrifying snarl lit upon her features.

He who rambled on about loyalty to family, though he showed a flagrant disregard for his own words, was judging her own loyalty.

He didn't know shit about loyalty, of this she was certain.

All those that he should have been loyal to--Mama especially, her mind sighed, and a familiar ache settled into her heart--he was anything but. She knew, deep down, that if push ame to shove, he would serve her head up on a fucking silver platter.

He questioned her! The idea was laughable. She had been devoted to him through it all, despite how much she might grow to dislike him. (Never hate, for she believed she many never be able to stop loving him. He was her father, after all.)

She would remain loyal to him and struggle to change his mind, to get him to change his judgment of her.

She would do it because he is family. and one should always remain loyal to family.

It was the way she was raised. It was the way of the world.

-----

the end.

feedback welcomed at spacedoutwriter@hotmail.com.