Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer & some personal notes:

Its TNT and/or NBC playground – I don’t really know which. They own the characters, dialogues, plots, quotes etc. These analysis are for pure entertainment only – mostly my own.

About the analysis:
Ok, this will NOT be an episode guide, though you will find plenty of spoilers! My analysis are purely subjective, my opinion, my take. Simply for the reason that I’m the one on the keyboard!

Disagree with me? Let it be heard! Give feedback and gimme hell if you want! Write a note or your own take!

Special Note:Don’t expect me to go into any length about the pretends, because I won’t. For me its only about the characters, their individual development in each episode and their interaction with each other. The central theme for me is the Centre-related story, and only when the pretends and the people Jarod meets along his travels, are important to his character development or the Centre-related-plot, I will pay attention. And more often than not you will wonder if the series’ main character might be Miss Parker and not Jarod. She of course is as important to the show as he is. Even when her scenes are only short in an ep., you might be surprised at the length I can go about it. It’s a personal thing. I was drawn into the series by her character, and I do regard her not only as very important but also as my favorite one. Go, and hate me for that. *grin*

Oh, and of course, obviously these have been written all AFTER I saw it all. So sometimes I can go ahead of the series – I will try to not do it too much though and try hard to not dwell on it a lot.

And take into account that these analysis are NOT betaed! My first language is German so please don’t mind the inevitable errors!


Review of ‘Red Rock Jarod’
Season 2
Ep. 219



This is an episode full of drama, character interactions, action and a very welcome comeback! The story has caught me from the very first scene. It had been hinted slightly in earlier eps that it could be Kyle, but only here we know it for real when Angelo utters again Kyle’s trademark sentence ‘I’m decide who lives and dies’. Also following up on an earlier thread, is the possibility that Lyle is still alive and kicking.


So, Miss Parker’s question ‘doesn’t anyone really die anymore’ proves to be very true. She was affected by her own role in Lyle’s supposed death, we see that in the beginning, when she has that nightmare.

I for one was extremely happy to see Lyle come back from the dead. He is a worthy villain, one that we can love to hate. He is smug, smart, evil, self-assured and of course, handsome as hell! Jamie Denton is a wonderful actor to play that part. He does it with glee in all the scenes he is in.

The creepier the scene, the more he seems to enjoy his ‘madness’. When Lyle has Jarod tied up and starts to get his revenge on him, we can see the glimmer in his eyes. (And some ff writers get their ‘slash-engines’ started at it *g*.)

And when Lyle has MP with her back against the fence, overpowered by a bit of luck, he utters those famous words – that in later eps will get even more creepy, by some further information on both of them…. – ‘God, you are beautiful when you are angry’. He devours her with his eyes, and we can even see even the mighty and fearless Ice Queen shiver a little bit at that.



Jarod gets lured to Arizona by a message from Lyle. What Lyle doesn’t count on is the comeback of Kyle. Its also a welcome return, Kyle is an interesting character. I enjoyed the scene between the two brothers, and I really liked Kyle’s attitude towards both, the tied up Lyle (hmm where is a slash on that…..?? *g* ) and later at the rescued pregnant woman.

Jarod’s brother knows that he is no hero, though ironically he IS. The showdown at the end was the best scene. Lyle, mad, crazy and oh so menacingly evil. Not afraid to kill and not afraid to die. Kyle, similarly, on the brink of killing, full of hate and vengeance. He wants to kill Lyle, no matter what. The only thing keeping him from it, is his brother and maybe the fact that Lyle uses MP as a human shield. A glimmer of humanity is still present in Kyle and, once more, keeps him from loosing it.

Jarod, once again acts – completely in character – as the balance of the whole scene. He doesn’t want anyone to die, he just looks for a way out.


Miss Parker – also very in character – doesn’t give a damn about the whole dilemma she is in. She yells at Kyle to ‘shoot the moron’, something Kyle wants to do badly but is torn between his brother’s plea, Miss Parker’s demand and his is own hatred and anger.

At the end, Kyle is the hero, saving his brother’s life and later on, one more precious life.

The moment MP tells Jarod it’s over, he doesn’t seem to care. I almost expected him to get to his feet and give up. Of course luck is with him, and the sheriff buys him some time to get to his senses. He gets away but of course, so does Lyle. I cried for Jarod’s loss, it was sad and moving, but also because I really liked Kyle.


Anyway, All the performances in this ep were incredibly good. Especially Jamie Denton and Jeffrey Donovan were fun to watch. But all the characters got to shine on their own, and some great interactions made this one a great episode. Jarod’s best moment was when he was tied up and face to face with Lyle and of course at the end, when Kyle died in his place.

He loses his brother and again, can’t do nothing about it. I was very curious if he’d be ready to kill Lyle afterwards, he did look like he could beat him to death.

And MP, she got some phenomenal scenes. In her denial about Lyle’s death she was convincingly unconvincing, in the scene with the deputy and her sick son, she got to show some heart as well. Towards the boy, JR, she played it with a nice balance of sympathy and stubbornness, that has become a trademark for Miss Parker, ever since late in the first season. And the scene with Lyle was a classic moment!

This episodes had some flaws as well, they are minor flaws and didn’t ruin it for me. For example, I didn’t really understand why Lyle led Miss Parker get away, why he simply orders the sheriff to get rid of her instead of getting her killed. He told Jarod that he would remove the obstacles to his return to the Centre power ranks, so he could have killed her then and there.


5 point out of 5, for a great hour of action and character interactions. I applaud the writers for returning Lyle, it adds to the potential of this series a great deal.