Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Not my characters, but my story. Selbag@hotmail.com please don't archive without my permission.

(long) Author's Note: so erm, yeah April. For a Christmas fic. I was too far removed from the fandom this past holiday to write this then. So great thanks to KB who said one day about a month ago 'hey, you going to do another?' well, a month of real life issues, a dusting off of a few tP tapes to get back in character, great betas by KB and Shaddyr, and here is a fourth installment of my Angel Collection series. I'll say now that this might be the end, but that all depended on where I am next winter. just don't be surprised if it happens. I say this because I would be satisfied if this ending held. April 11, 2003, 10:pm




The Angel Collection IV
By Gables



~~~~~~~~

Christmas Eve
The Broots' House

Miss Parker let Debbie hug her one last time. As the teenager's arms wrapped around her waist, she reluctantly returned the gesture, uncomfortably aware of the men who were watching them both.

"Thank you so much for the dress, Miss Parker. It'll be perfect for the winter formal."

Parker allowed herself to stroke Debbie's her hair softly, then whispered conspiratorially. "I'll help you with your jewelry and hair later."

The two men observing the scene exchanged looks. Sydney's was one of sympathy, and some amusement in response to Broots' look of parental anxiety.

"Merry Christmas, Miss Parker." Debbie said as she stepped to her father's side. Broots hugged her in close, and Parker noticed that the two of them now stood almost shoulder to shoulder.

Sydney unlocked the front door and held it open as Miss Parker grabbed the handles of the bag at her feet.

"Merry Christmas Debbie. And Broots!" She raised an eyebrow, amused at his involuntary startle. "I don't want to see your shiny bald head for the next two days. Understand?"

Broots' cast a nervous glance from Miss Parker to Sydney. When he looked down at Debbie, he nodded, a silly grin appearing on his face to match the one on hers. He saw Parker smirk and dropped his grin to play along, "Yes, Miss Parker." He blinked, nodding his head vigorously to exaggerate his sudden faux-fear. "You won't have to see me for a while. I won't step a foot in your office. Or mine. Or even the Centre for at two days. I promise."

Miss Parker tried to hold the hard ice queen face, but the youthful sparkle of anticipation in Debbie's eyes, and Broots' inane babbling brought it down. But only for a second. "As long as we understand each other, Broots."

Without another glance, she stepped out of the house, not bothering to walk slowly, despite her high heels and the icy entryway. Sydney bade his hosts goodnight and followed in her foot steps, reaching the car as she unlocked the door. She leaned in to deposit her bag of gifts on the passenger side seat before looking up at Sydney.

"Have you heard from Jarod yet?" he asked.

She turned to face him, but kept the open car door between herself and Sydney. "I haven't heard a squeak from the lab rat since we saw him run off in Minneapolis."

"That was over a month ago. He hasn't contacted you in any way? It seems unlike him, especially considering to the season."

"Not my problem. Goodnight, Sydney." She smoothly slid into the car, hand skimming down the doorframe to grab the interior
handle. Sydney's strong grip prevented her from closing it.

"What about Ethan? Have you heard from him?"

Miss Parker sighed and let go of the door. "No, Sydney. I have not heard from Ethan either. Not Jarod. Not Ethan. Not anyone for 37 days. A number I know since Lyle has decided to remind me of the count every time I see him."

"He alluded to a trip. That might be the delaying him."

"With any luck, he'll get snowed in some Canadian ice shack for the rest of the winter. I could use the sleep." She broke eye contact and stared out the front window. It was white with frost. She turned on the engine and cranked up the window defroster. She looked across the street at Sydney's car. It was equally white. The moment was calm, though she caught sight of a few small flakes glinting from the porch light. She guessed that the snow would probably continue throughout the night. Sydney's voice cut across her internal musings. "What does your inner sense say?"

"About what?" She snapped.

"About Jarod, about Ethan."

With a long blink, softness came over Miss Parker's face. "It says that he is fine. He's happy to be with his father, but he wants to talk to me, is waiting for me."

"Is that about Jarod or Ethan?"

She shook her head. "Jarod, Ethan, both, neither. For all I know it could be about Lyle. This training isn't working Sydney! It's been over a year and I still have no idea how this 'inner sense' works."

"You do not need to know how it works in order to utilize it. Perhaps the fascination with its mechanics is holding you back from realizing its true potential within yourself."

"Spoken like a true shrink"

Sydney removed his hand from the door and pulled it to his coat pocket. "Goodnight, Miss Parker. Merry Christmas."

She mumbled a 'you too' as she closed the door. A few flicks of the windshield wiper removed enough slush for visibility. Parker watched Sydney walk to his car and begin to scrape the frost from his own windows as she drove off.

During the drive, Parker considered the questions she had appeared to dismiss when talking with Sydney. Based upon the last couple years, it was of no concern that Jarod had not contacted her yet. He liked to play Santa Clause, only showing up on Christmas Eve.

"But this year should be different" she mumbled with a sigh as she pulled into her driveway. She grabbed her goody bag and lugged it out of the car, fighting with it as it got caught on the gearshift. It jerked free and the momentum caused her to stumble back.

She took a deep breath and slammed the car door. She fingered her keys, searching for the correct one as she approached her front door. On the porch, Miss Parker paused. Something was different. She waited as her senses settled. A flickering in the light from inside the house caught her eye. Barely noticeable through the curtains and stained glass windows, but now attuned, it was obvious.

She quickly unlocked the door and scanned the entryway. Next to the Christmas tree, the fireplace glowed with warmth from a fire built not ten minutes ago, judging by the burn marks on the logs.

His name was on the tip of her tongue. An admonishment to the pretender that she was in no mood for his games, but the words died, unspoken, on her lips. If it wasn't him, her assumptions would lead to questions she didn't' want to answer. If it was, he'd dismiss her attitude anyway.

Miss Parker set her gift bag on the floor and silently checked the house alarm. As usual when Jarod invaded her home, there was no record of any entry beside her own. She unclipped the gun from her belt and moved forward, following the walls into her living room. It was empty.

A quick check of the rest of her house proved it to be empty as well. Parker kicked off her shoes and made herself a drink. This was, she mused, the opportune moment for Jarod to call. Taking clues from whatever sense - paranormal or technological - he'd call to goad her, while trying to elicit a small seasonal smile.

A few chimes announced the turning of the hour. A log in the fire lost its support, rolling to its side. But the phone stayed silent.

The crackling of the fire attracted her attention, and she approached it, allowing herself to become mesmerized by the flickering light. She crouched down and held out her free hand, curving her iced vodka to her chest. That's when Miss Parker saw the fireproof envelop attached inside about a foot high.

"Son of a bitch!" she exclaimed.

Miss Parker stood up and clunked her glass on the mantle, narrowly missing a framed picture of her father. She grabbed the fireplace tongs and crouched back down to see the envelope. Careful of the fire, she pulled the envelope away and dropped it on the fire mat.

The envelope contained two Polaroids. One was a picture of a crude paper maché angel. The other was an image of Jarod and Ethan standing in front of a hotel sign. Ethan held the December 24th USA Today in front of him. Jarod was grinning and wearing a headband with candy cane antlers. And she recognized the sign - she'd seen not 48 hours earlier while following a trail with no apparent purpose. Except perhaps to familiarize her with 'Shirle and Bob's Cabin Lodge Inns.'

"Another damn day, another damn game," she fumed. "It's Christmas Eve. It's snowing. I'm not going after him tonight." Yet as she said this out loud another voice, from inside her thoughts argued with just one word: 'follow'.

Miss Parker massaged the back of her neck and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, she focused on a framed photo on the mantle. The face of her mother smiled at her.

'Follow.'

She grabbed her keys, slipped on her shoes and coat and headed out the door. The glass of vodka remained untouched, its ice slowly melting, above the still burning fireplace.


~~~~~~~~


The car was silent as she drove north. Parker was extremely annoyed to find herself driving in the snow, alone, on Christmas Eve, following Jarod on whatever starlit path he decided she needed to travel.

It was especially infuriating since things had changed - starting with the kiss from the previous year. His glibs and tricks were less of a torture, and more of a game. Private meetings had been arranged, away from anything Centre related, pockets of truce time so that she could visit with her brother, Ethan.

Things had changed. There was no reason she should be crossing into New York. No reason 'Shirle and Bob's Lodge Cabin Inns' office should have it's light on at 1 am. Yet here she was.

The light of the office was hazy through the snow-crusted window, making it difficult to see clearly inside. With a deep sigh, Miss Parker exited her car.

"Better be careful, it's slippery out here."

She let out a quick bark of laughter and slammed the door shut. Jarod stood in the threshold of the office.

"What are you doing here, Jarod? No, better yet, tell me what the hell I'm doing here."

"Following your inner sense, I suppose." He turned to speak to someone in the office, and then stepped outside and closed the door. "But I doubt that's the answer you were looking for. This is for you."

He stepped forward to offer a plastic grocery sack that dangled from his forefinger, its two handles tied in a knot.

She crossed her arms across her chest, unimpressed. "Not your best wrapping job."

"I was in a hurry."

"Guess you need to plan better next time you break into my house!" Her voice rose to an angry shout by the end of the sentence. He started to reply, but she waved a hand to quiet him. "Cut the crap. What do you want?"

Jarod chuckled. He swung the sack slightly to draw her attention to it again. "Well, I did invite you out here for more than a small gift exchange. But first, here. Open it, please."

Miss Parker reluctantly took the sack and opened it. She lifted out the paper maché angel that had been in the photograph. "Hardly up to your previous standards."

"Then you won't be disappointed when I tell you that you can't keep it."

"Pardon me? You drag me out here at one in the morning on Christmas Eve to show me something I can't have?"

Jarod smiled. He nodded his head to the side, indicating a Range Rover in the parking lot. "Actually, I brought you out here to invite you to a tree topping ceremony." He glanced at the angel in her hand. "Ethan was... well, everybody hoped that you might join."

"Everybody?"

"Ethan, the boy, my father, and. a couple of friends."

"Please tell me that's not Ma and Pa over there."

Jarod look over his shoulder and smirked. "So you will join us."

"Do I have a choice?"

"Of course. You can get back in your car and drive the three hours back to Blue Cove, alone, where you will fall asleep and wake up Christmas morning, alone."

Miss Parker placed the angel back in the grocery sack and retied the handles. Her arms dropped to her side as she debated her next move.

"I'll have you back here in 24 hours. And if needed, Shirle and Bob have agreed to be your alibi."

Miss Parker reached into her coat and pulled out her cell phone. She flipped it open and glanced down at the screen. Her face glowed a slight blue from the display. With a last glance to Jarod, she turned off her phone, opened her car door and tossed it inside. With a click the doors were locked and she stood, still silent, facing Jarod again.

He grinned. "Come on," he said softly as he walked to his car. He unlocked the passenger door for her, and then walked around to his side. Once seated in the car, he turned to her. "You won't regret this."

"I'm sure I will. But here I am anyway." She jammed her seat buckle into the lock and leaned back, turning to watch out the side window.

~~~~~~~~

Christmas Morning


"Miss Parker? We're here, if you wake up for a moment, you can sleep again in a bed inside. Miss Parker?" Jarod gently tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear, following the gesture through to caress her face.

Parker rolled her head into his touch, but quickly jerked back and opened her eyes. It was still dark, but she saw the house in front of them was slightly lit from the porch light.

"So, this is the Cratchit house?"

"Cratchit?" he questioned. "We're renting the house, but I don't-"

"Forget it. But there had better not be a boy with a wooden crutch at the dinner table."

Jarod shrugged and then opened the car door. The sudden light and cold chill made them both blink rapidly and reach for their coat lapels. They exited the car and walked quickly to the porch.

"Everybody is probably asleep. I'll show you to your room. You can get a few more hours of sleep before breakfast." He unlocked the door and held it open for her. She brushed past him, but was considerate enough to keep her steps quiet.

"This way, Miss Parker," Jarod whispered and pointed to a hallway.

She ignored him, instead making her way into the family room where the Christmas tree stood. Santa had already visited the house she observed, noting the plate with a half eaten cookie on the coffee table. Stuffed stockings hung from the mantle. One even appeared to have her initials embroidered on it. Jarod gave up his stance outside the bedroom hallway and joined her in the family room. He flicked a switch and the tree started to dance with light.

Parker couldn't keep herself from smiling at the spectacle before her.

"That is the ugliest tree I have ever seen, Jarod." She dropped her bag and approached the tree. "Popcorn and cranberries? Origami and baked clay ornaments? This looks like a reject from Miss Abbot's preschool class. It does explain your afternoon craft project though." she commented with a glance to the grocery sack in Jarod's hand.

Jarod chuckled, and withdrew the little angel. He reached up and put it on top of the tree, nudging it to the side with his finger until it sat at the perfect angle. They stood silently for a moment, neither too comfortable. Jarod took a breath and turned as though to move away, but Miss Parker spoke.

"Why am I here?"

She watched his face, and could almost see the gears turning in his mind as he obviously struggled with what exactly how to answer her. Eventually, he turned to face her, studying her a moment, before answering.

"Because you deserve to spend the Christmas morning with people who care about you." She could hear the sincerity in his tone as he spoke, his voice a bit hesitant, as if not sure she would accept the explanation. She wasn't sure she did.

"So, this was Ethan's idea."

He shook his head. "Ethan expressed a desire, as I told you earlier, but no, nobody knows you're here. It's a Christmas surprise for them. But it is possible that Ethan knows of my plans. It's hard to surprise him."

Miss Parker's professional instincts urged her to leave, take the keys and drive back to Shirle and Bob's. Instincts strong enough to shift her stance, transferring her weight to her back foot in preparation to turn on heel and leave.

Jarod closed the small space between then as she struggled with indecision. He remained silent, but slowly reached out to brush her hair back. He then cupped the side of her face and gently turned her toward him, softly stroking her cheek with his thumb to calm her.

The movement paused when they locked eyes. He spoke quietly, in a voice only for her ears. "I asked you here, because I wanted you here. I want to give you a Christmas morning with a family who loves each other, and who loves you."

She started to shake her head in denial, trying to get away from his touch. Jarod kept on talking, smooth, low, comforting.

"What does your inner sense say? Breathe deep, look at my eyes, and block all other thoughts out. Listen to that one that pulses in your mind. A simple thought that follows every impulse, like a space between words."

She barely spoke the word, but her lips breathed its form, "Stay."

"Stay," he whispered, barely louder than her own speech.

"Stay."

Jarod leaned in and kissed her, as slow and soft with his lips as his words. When he pulled back, Parker came out of her trance, the anger and denial gone. She nuzzled against the hand cupping her cheek, and reached out to touch his face, closing the circle. A gentle tug brought him closer and their lips met again. When they parted, Jarod didn't let her move away. She rested her head on his shoulder, his face pressed in close to hers.

They stood there silently, holding each other, looking at the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree. She didn't want the moment to end. Twenty-four hours ago she was wishing against her nature that he would call with some holiday cheer. Now, as she stood embraced in his arms, it seemed unnatural to be anywhere else.

A clock chimed, indicating the new hour. And slowly, so slowly, Jarod stroked her hair, and then released his hold. They separated, each watching the other for any sign of hesitation.

"I think we both need some sleep, Miss Parker."

"You don't have to call me Miss Parker anymore."

He smiled at first, and then grinned with a chuckle. "Okay then. Let me show you to your room."

"Only if you stay with me, Jarod."

Parker smirked when he tilted his head looking her straight in the eye. He smiled and kissed her again, and then led her back to the hallway, leaving the tree to twinkle and glow in the room.

~~~~~~~~

The End

Questions, Comments, Concerns?