Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Matter of Blood
Part 1
by N.R. Levy




Miss Parker hated being late, especially now that her jerk of a brother was in charge. Still, it couldn't be helped. Her chipped tooth had turned out to be a little more severe, and she'd had to go today to the dentist's office to get her new permanent crown. God, when she found Jarod she was going to ship him somewhere - preferably in tiny pieces in the smallest Fedex envelope possible.

She stormed into her office, dropping her things on the desk, just barely missing a brown paper wrapped package that sat in the middle. Parker couldn't help but roll her eyes as she looked at the handwriting on the package - another gift from Wonder boy.

She was just about to open it when her most dearly despised twin walked in without bothering to knock.

"You're late."

"You're a moron, big deal."

Lyle fought the urge to snipe back at his sister. Today, he actually needed something from her, which meant he had to watch his step. He noticed the package on the desk and reached out to touch it. Parker slapped his hand away and he withdrew it quickly as she picked up the box and held it away from him.

"See what I mean, you can't even read. It says, "Miss Parker," not her mutant twin."

"My, my, we are in a good mood today, aren't we?" That made Parker glare harder. She didn't know why she had pulled the package away from him. He was in charge; he eventually got his hands on everything these days. Still, something inside of her wouldn't let him have that kind of control over her - at least, not with her consent.

"Was there something you wanted, Lyle?"

"As a matter of fact - There's a board meeting today. I could use your support on something."

Parker raised her eyebrow. "And that would be?"

Just then, Broots entered, also without knocking. Geez, was she going to have to post a 'Knock Before Entering" sign on her door? She turned her attention to her favorite computer geek.

"What is it, Broots?"

"I, uh, I - um, Sydney just called. He isn't feeling well, so he's not going to be in today."

"Great, like we don't have a mountain of work to do. Lyle, can this wait?"

Lyle wanted to argue, but he couldn't afford to piss her off. If she went against him at the meeting, there was a chance his position could be in jeopardy. He wondered if she had any idea the kind of power she could wield now that their father was gone if only she wanted to.

"I'll stop by later - we can have lunch."

The thought of eating with her brother made her lose what little appetite she had, but Parker simply nodded and watched him leave. Only once he had closed the door did she begin to unwrap the package from Jarod.

"What's that, Miss Parker?"

"Do I look like I have x-ray vision?" She shook her head as she finished unwrapping the package, finding a plain brown shipping box. Quickly, Parker grabbed the scissors and ripped open the tape that secured the box.

Broots knew that Jarod enjoyed playing games with Miss Parker, and though he knew that sometimes the results were painful disclosures about her family, Broots was certain what Jarod wanted was for Miss Parker to find the truth about herself. He also knew he didn't need to be a genius to see that what was in the box was having a profound affect on Miss Parker.

"Miss Parker?"

Carefully, Parker reached inside the box and pulled out a leather bound scrapbook. The book's cover was embossed with the name "Catherine Parker."

Broots saw the name and was about to turn and leave when Miss Parker's voice stopped him.

"No, Broots. Stay." She uttered the words as a plea more than as a command, and that more than anything froze Broots in place.

Miss Parker opened the book and began to slowly turn the pages. Inside was a chronology of her mother's entire life - report cards, baby pictures, a newspaper clipping from the time she'd won the swim competition. Clearly, whoever had assembled the book had done so with a great deal of love and care, and Miss Parker suspected that person had known her mother her whole life.

"Miss Parker, does it say who it belongs to?"

She shook her head. "No, there's nothing but what's on the pages. And of course, it would have been too simple for Jarod to just tell me where he got it."

"What next?"

Miss Parker was about to shake her head when a thought suddenly burst into her mind.

"Have you seen Angelo today?"

****************************************************

Lyle slammed out of Miss Parker's office, his fury evident to anyone who saw him. Where the hell was she? He had to find her before that meeting. He had to make sure she would vote with him.

****************************************************


Miss Parker was getting frustrated, and Broots was worried he was about to become the target of that building head of steam. They'd been looking for Angelo for nearly four hours, and he was in none of his usual hiding places. Finally, Miss Parker had headed toward the storage room where she knew Angelo liked to sleep.

They reached the door and Broots pushed it open and he breathed a sigh of relief. Angelo was lying on his cot, apparently asleep.

"He's here, Miss Parker."

She pushed by him, the photo album in her hands, and made her way to Angelo.

"Angelo? Angelo, wake up."

When he didn't respond, Miss Parker's temper quickly flared, and she reached out to turn him onto his back. Instead, she felt herself go cold with worry.

"Angelo!" Miss Parker did move him onto his back, gently, hoping that she was mistaken. Instead she saw that his appearance confirmed what she'd felt when she touched him. Angelo was burning up with a very high fever.

"Oh, my God. Broots, get a medical unit down here now."

"Okay."

Broots ran from the room as Miss Parker grabbed one of Angelo's blankets, wiping his forehead. His skin felt like it was on fire, and she knew that he was in very grave danger. She leaned closer to him, her hand coming to rest on his arm.

"Angelo -"

Her words were cut off by a cry of pain, and Angelo tried to turn back on his side, his body shrinking as he pulled into himself.

"Angelo, what is it? What hurts?"

He looked back at her then, and she could see that he was trying desperately to find some way to tell her. But Angelo didn't know how to communicate what he felt, only what others felt, and she knew he was fighting a losing battle. He cried out again, and tears began to stream from his eyes.

Moments later, Broots returned with the medical team. They were just putting Angelo on the stretcher when Lyle burst into the room.

"Where the hell have you been? Did you forget we were having lunch?"

Miss Parker glared at her brother, her worry for Angelo quickly turning to anger for Lyle.

"Angelo is ill, if you hadn't noticed."

"So what? I never liked him anyway."

Miss Parker looked at him, again amazed that he could be connected to her in any way. He looked at Angelo like he was nothing when it was so clear to her that Angelo was much far more worthy man than her twin could ever hope to be.

"I want him taken into town." Before the words were even out of Parker's mouth, Lyle began to object.

"No way in hell. The freak stays here."

"I'll take him myself."

Lyle had always seen his sister's concern for Broots, Sydney and the freak as weakness, but now, he saw that he could use it to his advantage. He could get what he wanted and he didn't even have to be nice to do it.

"Then we'll strike a deal - Broots here can take the science project to the hospital in town, and you can attend this afternoon's board meeting with me."

Miss Parker knew an ultimatum when she heard it, and her first instinct was to tell Lyle to go jump off of a cliff. Still, her gut told her that Angelo needed to be out of here, in a real hospital, and so she nodded her acquiescence.

"Broots, tell them he's my autistic brother and that you've called me and I'm on my way. If there's any consent issues, call me here."

"Okay, Miss Parker."

The medical team and Broots left, leaving the two Parker siblings alone with each other.

"Just what is it that's so important about this damn board meeting, Lyle?"

"Let's just say what happens today will determine our future course where Jarod is concerned."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning I'm going to suggest to the board that we change our strategy. Jarod wants his damn family so badly, I say we give it to him -- One piece at a time."

Parker couldn't fight off the chill that ran through her as Lyle spoke.

*********************************************


Hours later, Miss Parker arrived at the hospital, her mind whirling. What in God's name had she just agreed to? Had she really given her word to dangle Jarod's sister in his face as bait? God, what was she thinking?

'You were thinking about helping Angelo. For now, that's all that matters. You'll deal with the rest later.'

She heard the words in her head, but they still didn't make sense. Why was she so worried about Angelo anyway? Why had she been so certain he needed to be here, in the hospital, instead of in the Centre infirmary?

She walked to the area where Broots had said to meet her and she took in a breath when she saw that he was standing in front of a sign that read "Intensive Care."

"Broots, what's going on?"

"Um, uh, the doctor, she said - I mean, she wouldn't tell me anything. She said she'd wait until you got here."

Just then, a woman in her early forties walked out of a nearby room, and turned her attention toward Broots and the new arrival.

"Miss Parker?"

"Yes. How is my brother?"

"Has he been sick for very long?"

"I'm not sure, to tell you the truth. I've been out of town and I'm afraid my brother doesn't like to let anyone else get very close to him."

"I see. Well, I'm still waiting for some test results to come in, but I'm reasonably certain I know what's wrong."

Miss Parker felt her heart beating more quickly. What the hell was going on with her?

"What is it?"

"Your brother has a severe infection in his liver. Once the tests come back, we'll begin treatment with antibiotics, but if we don't see any difference in the next 24 hours, we'll have to go in and remove the diseased portion of the organ. I understand that he's A/B negative, are you?"

"What? Oh, yes, yes, I am."

"If you could donate some blood, that would help us out a lot. I'll let you know when I get the test results back."

Miss Parker nodded, not even realizing the doctor had left. Broots directed her to a nearby couch, and they both sat down.

"Boy, it's a good thing you brought him here, huh? How did you know he was so sick, Miss Parker?"

She looked at him, her face showing a mixture of confusion and worry.

"We need to call Sydney."

Broots stood, pulling out his cell phone.

"I'll do it."

Miss Parker stayed seated, her ears hearing but not listening to Broots explain Angelo's condition to Sydney. How the hell had she known he was so sick? He hadn't told her anything, there had only been that look between them, yet she'd known in her heart that he needed help - better help than the Centre would give him.

"What the hell is going on with me?"

Broots stood, staring at his friend, wondering if she knew she had spoken those last words out loud.