Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: NBC owns the Pretender and all characters involved. I just play with them.


Chances
a Pretender fanfic
By Ash
(wild_magik@yahoo.com)



The first night I saw the stars, breathed free air outside of the Centre, I thought of you. Not the adult that now stands before me with a gun pointed at my head, but the girl who was my best friend and gave me my first kiss. Alone in a strange world full of so many different people and new experiences, I thought of you.

You stand there, a satisfied look on your beautiful face. It is a mask for the world to see, but I only see it crumble away now. I see pain and weariness in your eyes, the strain in holding yourself up after long days of the chase.

I savored my freedom those first months, learning and trying everything that was denied to me in those three decades that the Centre kept me. There were no more Sims and no more locked doors, but still I had the fear inside of me. It crept out in my dreams, twisting my memories horribly. You died in my dreams every night and it took me courage not to return to the Centre, to prevent your dreamed death.

Then you, my childhood friend, were sent after me, to bring me 'home' to the Centre. I played our game, teased and taunted you into chasing me across the country. It was the only way I could keep an eye on you without sacrificing my new found freedom. How selfish of me.

Now I see what the chase, the games have brought to you. Don't think I don't know about the drinking, the nights when I find you passed out on your couch, smelling of alcohol. Then there are the nights when I hear you crying into your pillow and I can't do anything to stop them. The Pretender, the genius, your Labrat can't even stop tears. I realize now that freedom is under-rated, especially where you are concerned.

The sweeper teams are closing in and I do nothing to escape this time. Before they get any closer, I whisper something to you.

"We both can't be free of the Centre, Miss Parker. It's your turn now. Be free and happy for once."

I hung my head low, knowing that it would be so much harder for me to escape this time. Not because of Mr. Lyle and the Centre, no they were never a problem in my escape. This time, it would be the fact that while I was bound and chained in some forgotten sublevel, you would be free. That would end the moment I stepped outside of that hellhole once again. I couldn't help but smile a little as I was led away to a Town car, handcuffed and ready to go back there. Everyone deserves a chance at freedom. I knew my chance was gone and yours was just beginning.


The End