Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Last One There Is A Rotten Egg

by AngelWings







"Well?" Miss Parker asked, walking up behind Sydney, as she glanced around the busy street. Sydney shrugged his shoulders while he shook his head.

"No luck, Miss Parker," he replied, an accent lingering in his voice.

Miss Parker let out a frustrated sigh, and crossed her arms across her chest.

"How is that he knows every move we make?" she asked, still not taking her blue eyes from the street. Just then, Broots walked up behind her, a frown weighing down the corners of his mouth. Miss Parker spun around and gave him a look that could cut a man in two.

"Well?" she snapped. Broots glanced at Sydney with helplessness in his eyes and turned back to the impatient woman who was now tapping her high-heeled toe on the cement sidewalk.

"Um, no one has seen Jarod. I-I um, showed everyone the picture, but ah… no luck, Miss Parker," Broots stuttered out nervously. If it was possible, Broots swore fire grew into those blue eyes. She inhaled deeply as she raised her chin higher, still keeping her eyes on the balding man before her.

"Well, keep looking. There has to be someone here that has seen Jarod!" she said through her teeth, having no desire to go through another one of those "you just missed him" days. She spun around and took off down the sidewalk, pushing through a group of people.

Finally she spotted a group of woman at a picnic table in the park, around Miss Parker’s age and younger, obviously in a deep conversation. As Miss Parker approached them, she noticed they kept glancing the opposite way and start giggling like they were talking about something.

"Excuse me," Miss Parker said, no politeness in her cold voice. They all stopped chatting and looked up at the awaiting woman who held out a picture of a man. "Have you seen him?" The silence that spread through the five women was surprising. They all stared at the picture as if they have never seen a man before.

"Its him," one finally said quietly to another. Miss Parker glanced up at the blonde, obviously the youngest.

"Him?" Miss Parker asked. "You know him?"

"I wish!" she spat out. All five broke into laughter, only Miss Parker kept a straight face. Everyone quickly settled their laughter at the sight of Miss Parker’s stone cold expression. Miss Parker lifted an eyebrow, waiting for her explanation.

"That’s ironic, because we were just talking about that hunk."

"Hunk?" Miss Parker asked, holding back the smile.

"Yes, he is right over there," she said pointing in the opposite direction. To Miss Parker’s amazement, there he was! He was sitting at a small park table a couple yards away, with a newspaper folded out in front of him. He seemed to be deep in an article, because he hadn’t noticed the women who were glancing his way or Miss Parker standing there. Miss Parker smiled.

"You like him too I see," another woman said, referring to Miss Parker’s smile. Miss Parker snapped her eyes down at her.

"Excuse me?" Miss Parker hissed. The woman’s smile disappeared.

"Forgive me," she quickly apologized. Miss Parker nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, whatever," she snapped. She quickly walked past the women and towards Jarod. As she got closer and closer to him, her heart began to beat faster and faster. This is it! He hadn’t noticed her. She got right up to him, and stood there, waiting for him to look up.

He slowly drew his brown eyes away from the newspaper and saw the pair of legs that stood beside him. He slowly ran his eyes up her and came to meet her face with his own.

"Why, hello there ‘hunk’," she said with a wicked smile. He stared at her for a long moment with no expression on his face and then returned his attention to his article. Her smile disappeared. What was wrong with him? "Time to go," she said, trying to get him to stand or at least say something.

"Excuse me? I’m not going anywhere with you, lady," he shot back, not even looking at her, still having his eyes down on the newspaper.

"Lady?" she asked with a hint of shock and anger in her voice. She glanced down at the newspaper he was reading and noticed it was the sport section. The sport section? Wait a minute, Jarod never read the sport section. "Jarod?"

He finally looked up form the newspaper, and for once got a really close look at the woman before him, as did she.

"Who?" he asked. She stared at him. This has to be a trick, she thought. Or is it? He looked so much like Jarod; but then again, there was so many unfamiliarity about him, too. He didn’t have the mole by his right eye, and his eyes weren’t as nearly as bright and brown as Jarod’s. He was ruggedly handsome, but didn’t have the extra spark Jarod always gave her. What the hell is she thinking? She blinked a couple times to get her thoughts in check and returned back to reality.

"Who are you?" she asked, sitting down across form him. He lifted an eyebrow.

"Who wants to know?" he asked, looking her up and down. That alone made her mad. Jarod was a pain in the ass, but never rude to her like this moron.

"Me," she said through her teeth.

"Could I have a name?" he asked, as if he was talking to a three-year-old. She stared at him as if she could kill him with her glare, in which she wished she could have.

"Miss Parker," she snapped.

"That’s it? Your first name is Miss?" he asked, smiling. He didn’t have that little boyish grin Jarod always had.

"Yes," she said sarcastically. He nodded in mock agreement. She swore she felt steam coming out of her ears. "Now your name."

"My name?" he asked. "Mr. Trask." She could have slapped
him there and now, but held it back.

"What’s your first name?" she asked through her teeth again.

"You tell me yours, and I’ll tell you mine," he said, leaning with his elbows on the table, arms folded, and leaned towards her. That made her even more angry. She clenched her teeth together so she wouldn’t scream.

"Sue," she lied.

"Sue Parker. Hmmm…" he said, leaning back in his chair. She was very close to leaping over the table and wrapping her hands
around that neck of his, but forced herself to keep calm. She nodded. "Nice to meet you Sue Parker," he said, just a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Now yours!" she asked, her impatience clearly showing. He smiled.

"Kevin," he said, reaching out his hand for hers. For the first time, she saw friendliness in his smile.

"Kevin Trask," she noted, taking his hand. She let out a sigh as he let go of her hand, and then she reached into her suit pocket for the picture of Jarod. "Have you seen this man?" she asked, sticking the picture in his face. He slowly reached his hand up and plucked it out of her fingertips. He stared at it for a long moment.

"Is this the man you thought was me?" he asked, flicking his light brown eyes up from the picture to stare at "Sue". Miss Parker nodded. "Hmm… he does look like me, in a way," he said, studying the picture carefully. He let out a small laugh. "Looks like a prison photo." He looked up at her again. "Is he wanted?"

"Very," she said, glancing down at the ground. He returned his eyes to the picture.

"For what? Murder, robbery, drug dealing…" he began.

"He has a history of mental illness," she stated. He looked up from the picture to meet her blue eyes again.

"Mental illness?" he repeated. "Oh, well, sounds serious," he said, a touch of sarcasm in his voice. She snatched the picture out of his hand and tucked it safely back in her suit pocket.

"Indeed," she said with sarcasm also in her tone.

"Well, I am also on the run, so I better get going," he said, standing up and pushing in his chair. He began to gather his newspapers.

"On the run? From who?" she said, watching his movements as he gathered his things. She tore her eyes from the table to look up at him.

"Sorry, you already know too much about me," he said with a smile. He tucked the folded newspaper under his arm. She finally stood.

"Want to go for a drink or something?" she asked. She has to get more info on this guy. He stared at her for a long while and then a smile began to tug at the corners of his mouth.