Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters, I believe that NBC has the official right to manipulate these characters, but like others, I like to wonder what they would do in *my* world. Please do not archive without my permission. (at the very least you'll guarantee another hit on your site :)

Author's Note: I know this is a bit late, but it's my answer to the season 3 cliff hanger. Anyway, for those who have seen the new episodes, I'm declaring that the interaction between Jarod and the Centre personal actually happened, but I'm ignoring all of his pretends. (they get in my way :) writers prerogative right? Special thanks to Gena. She went out of her way irl to ask a coworker a medical question for me! (very cool ) The answer is 50: 8 from head to trunk, 3 each foot, 6 for each leg, 3 each hand, 6 each arm, 2 each shoulder, 2 for pelvis.



center>The Illusion Of Freedom
by Gables /center>


~~~~~
Centre Jet

Miss Parker sat in the leather seat looking out the window. Sydney sat across from her, with Broots next to him.

"Do you think we will ever catch him Syd?" She turned her head to face him.

"Jarod's evasive skills are extensive, and the longer he's out, the better they will get."

"I don't want to be chasing him forever Sydney. I've put my life on hold long enough. First to climb to corporate, and then to chase Jarod. I want out, Sydney. I want to leave."

"Have you told your father?"

"No. He's been too busy since he returned to even schedule dinner with me and it blow off."

"Hmmm" Sydney brought his hand up to his face and pondered Miss Parker's words.

She looked back out the window.

~~~~~

Miss Parker's Office
The next morning

"Sydney! Broots!" Miss Parker called out to them when she entered their workspace.

Soon they were standing in front of her.

"I'm telling my father today that I'm leaving. I wanted to tell you two first."

Broots looked at her with admiration, and Sydney nodded his head.

"Good luck Parker." He patted her shoulder. That was all the support he could show inside the Centre, so he stepped back.

"Yeah, Good luck Miss Parker." Broots nodded his head in a twitch of excitement for her.

Miss Parker took a deep breath and headed for her father's office.

~~~~

Mr. Parker's Office

"Daddy?" She tentatively called out his name as she entered his office.

Mr. Parker was sitting at his desk, talking on the phone. He smiled when he saw her and held up a hand, telling her to hold on. She stayed standing in front of his desk.

"Very well, keep me informed." He hung up the phone then stood up to give her an obligatory peck on the cheek. "Angel, why are you here?"

"Daddy... I want to leave."

"Sure, sure, you deserve a vacation, you really should have taken more time off after you got shot."

"No, you don't understand, I want to leave the Centre."

"Now Angel..." He came up and grasped her shoulders, "We had a deal, once Jarod is back, you can leave."

"Daddy, I've failed. I can't bring him in. Let Brigitte do it. She thinks that she can do a better job anyway."

"Angel, you can't leave me...."

"Daddy, you have Lyle to take over the Centre and a new baby son. You don't need me."

"What about your brother? You were finally beginning to get along..."

"Daddy. Please, please let me. I can't catch Jarod, let me leave anyway."

Mr. Parker sighed. "Let me think about it." He dropped his arms, and she left.

~~~~~

Miss Parker's Office

"What Broots?" She was reading a file and she could tell that he was staring at her.

"What, what did your father say?"

She closed the file and handed it back to him. "He said he'd think about it."

Sydney entered reading a postcard, "Miss Parker, have you seen Angelo recently?"

"No, Cousin It has not graced me with his presence in a while. Why?"

"I don't know the last time I saw him. It think it's been months."

Miss Parker looked up, trying to remember the last time she had seen him. "You're right, I haven't seen him since I returned from the hospital."

"What do you think happened to him Sydney?" asked Broots.

"That's a good question Broots. See what you can find out about him." Broots exited with his new task.

"Well?"

"Well what Sydney?"

"What did you father say?"

She let out a frustrated sound. "He said he'd think about it."

"The one thing I have learned about Parkers is that the get what they want - at any cost."

She looked at him with a softer expression, then hid it quickly. "I'll deal with it."

~~~~~

The next day
Mr. Parker's office

"Daddy?" Miss Parker entered his office again to find that she was not alone. Brigitte and Lyle were talking with her father.

"Angel, we were just talking about you."

She clicked her heals as she walked over the tile to her dysfunctional family. "And?" She tried not to look vulnerable.

Lyle stepped up. "We've decided to give you a six month leave. This chase has had some negative affects on you recently, and we want you to have some time to think."

Miss Parker raised an eyebrow at the "negative affects on you recently" remark, but was happy that they were letting her go. She quickly made a decision to disappear during her six months off.

"I want to move to Atlanta."

"Angel, why do you have to move?"

"Because Daddy, if I stay here, then I will be too tempted to work."

"Good luck luv" said Brigitte between licks of her lollipop.

Parker ignored the blond, gave her father a smile and left the room.

~~~~~

Broots' House
That Evening

Miss Parker knocked on the front door. Broots was shocked to see her standing there, but his reaction was not noticed, because Debbie came running to the door.

"Miss Parker!!"

Parker bent down to hug the girl.

"Aren't you going to let me in Broots?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, please come in" He closed the door behind her and walked to the kitchen table.

"Do, do you want something to drink?"

"I'm fine."

"Miss Parker? Whatcha doin' here?" Debbie was very excited that Parker was visiting.

"Debbie, I have some news." She took in a breath, "I'm moving."

"Oh." Debbie's face fell.

"They are letting you go Miss Parker?" Broots asked in amazement.

"I'm getting a six month leave."

"Then why do you have to move?"

Parker gave a knowing glance to Broots, "Becausse I want a vacation. This is where you can write me ok?" Parker pulled out a piece of paper with an Atlanta address. She also pulled out a wrapped gift. "This is also for you."

"For me?" Debbie squeaked. She looked at her father, and when he nodded for her to go ahead, she ripped off the wrapping paper. Inside the box were three smaller boxes The first one held a necklace. It was a garnet in a gold setting on a gold chain. Second was a stationary set, and the third box was for a fountain pen.

"I expect you to write me Debbie."

Debbie nodded, a tear in her eye and hugged Miss Parker. "I'll miss you." She sobbed into Parker's ear.

"I'll miss you too."

Debbie finally let go and looked at her father.

"Debbie, it's time for bed." He said to her.

She nodded, gathered the gifts and the paper with the address and headed off to her room. She turned around once and waved, "Bye. Thank you."

"Goodbye Debbie." Parker waved back.

"She really will miss you. You are the only woman that she talks about." Broots cautiously sat down across from Parker.

"You had better take care of her Broots."

He nodded, feeling awkward that Parker was in his house.

"I need something else from you Broots."

"Sure, anything."

"I need you to help me stay elusive. I want to know how I can bounce phone calls off of satellites and have the source of my email be undetectable."

"Yeah, sure I can get you a couple of programs, I can get it to you tomorrow."

"Thanks Broots." She made an effort to pat his arm and then stood up.

"Miss Parker?"

"Yes?"

"Will you ever be back?"

"I don't know."

Broots nodded then walked her to the door. Once he had locked it, he went to his computer and started working.

~~~~~

The Centre
The next day

"That's everything" Parker held a box with her personal affects.

"Good luck Parker."

"Thanks Sydney. Do you think he'll come looking for me?"

"I bet he will let his presence be known."

Parker nodded her head, and wondered if she would like to see Jarod now that both of them were out of the Centre. Sydney saw Mr. Raines walk down the hall way and excused himself for a moment.

Parker looked back at a file on her desk. She opened it, took out the picture of Jarod and placed it in the box. She left her office and went to find Broots.

He found her instead.

"Here you go Miss Parker. I just finished. The instructions are in there. You should have no problem setting it up." He handed her a manila envelope.

"Thanks Broots. You do good work."

"Ahh well, I patterned it off of what Jarod has been using."

She smiled. "Don't let Lyle intimidate you. Stick by Sydney."

He smiled nervously thinking about the future. "Right."

The door opened and Sydney returned. He looked pale and walked uncertain. Parker set the box down and took the psychiatrist's arm, leading him to a chair.

"Syd, Sydney, what's wrong?"

"I just asked Raines about Angelo. He said that Angelo is... dead."

"Dead?" Broots and Parker said at the same time.

"He said that Angelo was found at the bottom of an elevator shaft. Raines said that he must have slipped. This was months ago. I can't believe I never noticed before." Sydney closed his eye and sat still.

"I don't believe anything Raines says as is. Broots, what did you find?"

"I found nothing, certainly not a death certificate."

"Keep looking. Keep me informed ok?"

Sydney paused in his grief for a moment to address Parker, "You need to leave now Parker, don't get involved in this else you won't be able to leave."

She nodded. "Goodbye Sydney. Goodbye Broots." She felt bad about leaving Sydney after such news, but knew that he was right, she had to leave.

"Broots, why wouldn't Jarod have told me?"

"I, I don't know Syd. Maybe he doesn't know."

"I doubt that. Angelo was Jarod's other best friend besides Miss Parker."

"I don't know Syd."

~~~~~
Miss Parker's House
That Night

Miss Parker was trying to decide what outfits to bring when the doorbell rang. She grumbled, grabbed her gun and headed downstairs.

"Lyle" she said without enthusiasm when she saw him standing in the doorway. He was holding a bottle of champagne and grinning at her.

"Parker. I've come to wish you a bon voyage!"

"Right." She let him into her house and rolled her eyes as she headed to get some glasses. Playing along with him would be the quickest way to get him out of her house.

While she was getting the flutes, Lyle slipped a tracking device into a box of Catherine's paintings. Lyle was popping the cork when she returned. He took the glasses and poured the champagne.

"What shall we toast to Parker?" he asked as he handed her a glass.

"How about to failure."

"To failure, interesting." He raised his glass and toasted in a declaratory voice, "To Failure, and its allowance to get you to take a vacation."

She clinked her glass to his, "To failure" and took a sip.

After Lyle left, Parker resumed packing. She finally got everything packed except those things most precious to her. She laid out on her bed all of Jarod's gifts: a silver necklace with a rabbit charm he had cast for her, the book he wrote, some postcards and the stained glass window with the missing heart. Next she laid out the things of her mother's: pictures of them together, a favorite painting, the silver watch, a music box with a ballerina and the letters her mother wrote. The last thing she added to the pile on her bed was one of Tommy's flannel shirts.

Seeing everything that was important to her in one spot made Parker want a drink. Moments after she returned with a vodka, the phone rang.

"What Jarod?"

"How'd you know it was me?"

"Because it's 1:30 in the morning. What do you want?"

"I heard a rumor that you have a vacation coming up."

"Surprise you heard. Yes I'm moving down to Atlanta for a while."

"What's in Atlanta?"

"A friend."

"I hope you don't do anything drastic while you're down there."

"What do you mean Jarod?"

"Well, I just wouldn't want you to leave the Centre before you're ready."

"What? Are you telling me that I *shouldn't* leave the Centre??"

"I just know that you still need the Centre."

Parker looked at the phone, not believing what she just heard him say. She picked up the silver watch that he had returned to her. "I'm surviving Jarod. Isn't that what you want me to do?"

"I'm just saying that the Centre still has a lot of the answers that you are looking for." He hung up.

She threw the watch back down, and contemplated leaving his gifts behind. "Now you want me to stay? Son of a bitch, what game are you playing now?"

Parker packed his gifts despite her current anger at him. Everything on the bed went into a carryon suit case.

~~~~~
The next morning

When the movers finished loading her boxes, Parker grabbed her carryon and went out to her own car.

Both the car and the truck left at the same time. The truck went to Atlanta, but she did not. She instead drove to Richmond, VA. There she bought new clothes and switched cars. She changed cars three more times before finally arriving in Miami. She returned the car to the rental agency and boarded a plane under the name of an ID that she created the night before, 'Sally Andrews' The plane flew to Madrid and then to Athens, Greece.

Twenty hours later, Parker arrived on a small island.

"Parker!"

"James!" She smiled and let him hug her. James was an old flame. A rich boy that she met at boarding school who now owned the island.

"I can't believe you actually came. This is Marie, my wife." He indicated the woman next to him. She did not look amused that Parker turned out to be such a beautiful woman. Nonetheless, she smiled and welcomed Parker to the island.

"How long are you staying?"

"How long will you let me?"

James laughed. "I know you Parker, and I know that you probably deserve a long vacation. We'll find something for you to do, and as long as you work, you can stay here as long as you like."

Parker smiled, happy that he did not hold bitter memories of their breakup. Then she picked up her carry on and followed them.

~~~~~
The Centre

"Hey Sydney, have you heard about Miss Parker?"

Sydney looked up tiredly. He couldn't find any evidence to the contrary that Angelo was dead, and now Parker was gone. "No, I haven't heard anything."

"She never arrived in Atlanta. The truck with all her stuff did, but the friend of hers just unloaded it into a self storage unit. He said that Parker never told him that she was moving down there, just that she wanted him to watch her stuff."

"What does he do?"

"He's a computer engineer."

"Hmm." Sydney rubbed his face and wondered if he could retire. He doubted it - especially with Jarod still on the large.

~~~~~

A city block
Five Months Later

Jarod saw the sweepers and ran away. He headed down an ally but saw a Centre car. Jarod paused, looked at the occupant of the a passenger seat; looked up at the buildings around him and took off again.

Sydney watched Jarod's movements curiously. He thought back to Jarod's recent escapes and thought that they all played out very similar. >It must be because of Parker's absence But then he thought again. Parker had told him of her odd conversation with Jarod. Jarod had been acting strange even before Parker left.

On the plane back to the Centre, Sydney tried to think of other odd behavioral differences.

~~~~~
A month later

Sydney and Broots were getting prepared to take another trip to try and find Jarod.

"Broots, before we go, I want you to check on something."

"Uh ok Sydney, but we're leaving in twenty minutes."

"I know. I know. I want you to do a search. Tell me how many people are flying to Lincoln."

"It'll be me, you Lyle and probably three or four sweepers."

"Just check for me Broots."

~~~~~
In an ally in Lincoln, Nebraska

Sydney looked around. He had been in a similar spots three or four times since Miss Parker left. Following a hunch, Sydney made a move to exit the car.

"Where are you going Sydney?" Asked Lyle.

"My legs are cramping. I need to stretch them."

Lyle didn't look pleased, but allowed him to get out. Sydney stretched his arms and legs and then leaned against the car. He scanned all the windows and the skylines of the buildings. At the sound of the sweepers shouting, Sydney saw a movement on top of one of the buildings. It was a man with a rifle.

Sydney heard shouts again and turned around to see Jarod running from the building. This time the pretender looked up first, looking at the exact same spot where Sydney saw the snipers, then he looked at Lyle.

Suddenly, Jarod changed his pattern. Instead of running, he took a moment to look directly at Sydney. He brought his hand to his face, fingers together, as though he was holding something small in them, and moved his hand, from the right side of his nose to the left. Then he scrunched his eyes and the sneezed. After he sneezed, Jarod took off running again. Sydney looked up again, but saw nothing.

~~~~~

The Centre

"Hey Sydney? I got what you wanted." Broots walked up closer and looked over his shoulder with a paranoid glance. "We saw only ourselves, Lyle, plus three sweepers, but according to the travel logs, five more sweepers went to Lincoln. Five! And then I check our other trips, and each had five or six extra sweepers going to the same city, but we never saw them! Why would they be there?"

"I don't know Broots. But I know that Jarod is having some trouble."

"How do you know that?"

"Have you noticed that since Parker left, we have witnessed what is essentially the same escape by Jarod? He comes running, sees us in the car than, pauses and then runs off."

"Yeah so?"

"Every time he pauses, he looks at Lyle, and then up. He acted different in Lincoln."

"Yeah he sneezed. So what?"

"The sneeze was fake. He covered for making the sign for 'flower' in ASL."

"Sign Language? What does the flower mean?"

"Jarod and I had a system. He always used different stamps when he sent things to us."

"Huh?" The techy was confused. He had never noticed anything about the stamps.

"Whenever Jarod learned something new, the stamps pictured a person, when he wasn't feeling well he used stamps with flowers, and he always used holiday stamps,"

"And you think that that's what the sneeze meant."

"Yes I do. In the past year, he has only used stamps with the American flag. He didn't even change for the holidays."

"A year? That's even before Miss Parker left" Broots thought for a moment, "That's about the time that she got shot and he was captured."

"I know Broots."

"What should we do?"

"Dig through the files, see what happened while Jarod was here, and double check how he escaped."

~~~~~

Later that day

Broots came up to Sydney again and spoke is a hushed tone.

"Guess what Sydney."

The psychiatrist leaned in closer.

"I did some checking. I looked up the people we spoke to at the last hospital, and it turns out that they don't exist!"

"What do you mean they don't exist?"

"That Dr. umm Dr. Soone, he's not a real doctor! The hospital has never hard of him!"

Sydney was shocked.

"That's not all! I checked all the people we've talked to in the past year, and *none* of them are real! It's like those people at that Miss Parker and I visited with the sex toys, they are all fake!"

"Then what has Jarod been doing for the past year?" Sydney said more to himself than to Broots.

"I don't know. But something is very strange around here."

Sydney nodded in agreement.

~~~~~

"Lyle." Mr. Parker sternly whispered the name to indicate a secret but serious purpose.

Lyle followed his father into a recess of the hall.

"I want to talk to Jarod. Next time he is on the phone, make sure he talks to me."

Lyle nodded. "Yes Sir."

~~~~~

Mr. Parker's office
The next day.

"What do I owe the please of your request?" Jarod's tone was arrogant as ever, and Mr. Parker frowned at that thought.

"I have a deal for you."

"A deal? I'll only agree if you let me go of the Centre."

Mr. Parker frowned again. "Nobody leaves the Centre Jarod, it's not good for business. That brings me to my purpose."

"Miss Parker." Jarod stated.

"Yes, she was supposed to come back two days ago, but instead I got a phone call from her saying that she is staying away from the Centre. We tried to trace it, but she hung up too quickly. All letters that the Broots girl is sending are going to Atlanta and stopping. We can't track her phone calls or her email. I need to find her Jarod."

"Because nobody can leave the Centre."

"Uh yes." The chairman shifted uneasily in his chair.

"And now you want me to hunt her and bring her back.. Didn't you tell her that she could leave when I was captured?"

"Yes, but the situation around your capture was complicated."

"Hmmm" Jarod thought. "OK Mr. Parker, I'll make my own deal with you. I get a month to find her, no questions, no body guards, no trackers, just some money and a set of clothes. I will search for her, and if I find her, then I'll bring her back. I will write up a contract for my demands and have it sent you to sign. But first as a sign of faith, you will bring back Angelo from where ever you have taken him. I know that he is not dead. The Center is his home and he should not be taken from it."

"Alright. You have yourself a deal."

~~~~~

Lyle entered his father's office with a very unhappy face and attitude. "Jarod picked up the money. There are tracers on the money, and the implant is still in from his capture. There are also thee expert trackers following him. We should not lose him."

"I hope you're right."

Lyle hoped so too. A memory of Parker flashed into his mind. She was angrily saying, "Never underestimate me or him."

~~~~~

Jarod's first stop was to buy some new clothes. When he opened the briefcase, he saw a note from Lyle. It said, "In a month, if you are not home, there will be one less psychiatrist at the Centre." Jarod frowned at the threat, but put it in the back of him mind. He had a month to figure it all out.

Jarod bought a nice black suit, white shirt, red tie and black shoes. Next, he rented a car and drove to a hospital in Trenton, New Jersey. He made a fake ID as Dr. Jarod Derwood, and entered a hospital he once worked at.

He headed to the X-ray lab and looked for Peter the technician.

"Jarod! My man! How have you been? Man! You should have seen the changes that happened after Dr. Moray was arrested!"

"Hi Peter, nice to see you again. I need a favor."

"Sure, anything."

"I need to be x-rayed."

"Sure what part? Got a fracture or something?"

"No, I need to be x-rayed, from head to toe."

"What??"

"Don't worry, I'll pay for it, I just want to make sure that I'm ok."

Peter looked at Jarod suspiciously, but decided to grant the favor. Jarod had helped out him and his co-works and then slipped out before they could properly thank him.

"Ok Doc, get on the table."

4 hours and 50 x-rays later, Jarod was finished. He was adjusting his ID tag when Peter re-entered.

"The x-rays will be done soon. Anything else?"

"Nope. That's all the help I needed from you!" Jarod smiled.

~~~~~

Jarod was talking with the nurses when Peter found him again. The nurses glared at him for taking Jarod away.

"Goodbye Susan, Carolyn, Shelly and Dolly. It was nice talking to you again." He grinned at them, and then turned back to Peter, changing his entire body language to focus on viewing the x-rays.

"You are the only person to handle these right? You never put them down?"

"Just like you asked."

Jarod breathed deep. "Good."

They came to the light board and Jarod started holding up the x-rays. He found an object located in his back, above his hip.

"What's that Jarod?" asked Peter.

"Something I need to get rid of. Is Dr. Marks on duty?"

"Yeah, I think so.." Peter answered absently. He was looking at the triangle shaped object on the x-ray.

Jarod found Dr. Marks, and convinced the surgeon to do a local and pull out the object. Peter tagged along, his curiosity too much to ignore.

When Jarod was stitched, he put his shirt back on and looked back at Dr. Marks and Peter. They were both staring at the metal object that had made its way into Jarod's back.

"Did you get abducted or something?" ask Peter.

"Something like that." Jarod replied.

"I have a feeling that you lead a very interesting life Dr. Derwood." Guessed Dr. Marks.

"You have no idea. You guys can keep that. I have no need for it."

Jarod hopped off the table, picked up the briefcase with the money and left.

~~~~~

Atlantic City

Jarod entered a casino and exchanged the rest of his money for chips, after the expensive suit and all the x-rays, it was just above $9,000.

Jarod spent about ten hours in the casino, alternating between losing and winning, as much as he could control it. When he finally cashed out under the eye of security, he had $12,182. He figured that this cash was safe, as all the marked bills from the Centre would have already been distributed.

He asked security for an escort to the nearest bank. They accommodated him with a limo and a driver. As he left from a private entrance, Jarod saw two of them men he knew to be following him, sitting in a car outside the casino. He drove by, not seen behind the tinted windows.

~~~~~

Inside the Bank

Jarod waited for someone to be free, the walked over and sat down, the briefcase of money by his feet.

"I need to three things. First a money order for $5243, I need three hundred in cash, and the rest of the money I want to put in a market account. I want to be able to access it regularly, and control how it is invested."

~~~~~

Dealership

As predicted, Jarod was approached as soon as he was past the first row of cars on the lot.

"I'm looking for a car that can get me to across the states, that's gray blue, and a popular model."

"Sure, I've got just the thing." He leads him to a 1994 Honda Accord.

Jarod pops the hood, checks the engine, then the tires, and finally sits down inside.

"Great. How much?"

"Let's go inside, and I'll draw up the papers."

"Nope, I want to do this outside. Get a friend to bring out the papers. How much?"

"Uhh, six-fifty."

"Five thousand."

"Six- thousand?"

"The interior is going to fail in a matter of months, it'll need new filters in a 500 miles."

"Five-Fifty?"

Jarod pulled out his money order for $5243. He smiled at the dealer's shock, signed the papers, and drove off without ever taking his eyes off the car or the third tracker sitting across the street.

On the streets, Jarod entered a parking garage, making sure that the other car entered as well. He parked his car and entered the shopping mall next to it.

~~~~~

Men's Clothing Department.

A sales woman with red hair approached him.

"Can I help you sir?"

Jarod took one look over his shoulder, convinced that he had lost the final tracker, then turned back to the woman and turned on the charm.

"Yep, I need a new outfit."

Jarod walked out 40 minutes later dressed in black jeans, boots, T-shirt and a leather jacket.

~~~~~

Cellar Phone Store

Jarod exited the phone store into the service hallway with his new activated phone. He looked up for a moment, trying to remember a phone number, then dialed it.

"Manni please."

"Yeah, this is Manni."

"Hi Manni, this is Jarod. I need you to pick up a car for me."

"Jarod!? Sure! No problem."

~~~~~

Restaurant Downtown Atlantic City.

Manni entered the restaurant and spotted Jarod.

"Jarod, how are you doing?"

"Good Manni." He reached out for the offered keys. "You sure that you weren't being followed?"

"Hey, 16 years in the police department *did* teach me something. I also checked it out for trackers. Clean as far as I can tell. You're not in any kind of trouble are you?"

"No, I just don't want to be followed."

"Same people?"

"Yep. Thanks Manni. I'll see you around." Jarod stood up.

"Good luck Jarod. Take care of yourself."

~~~~~

Philadelphia

Jarod drove up to a self storage and entered the offices.

"Hi, I rented a unit about a year ago, but I've lost my keys. I need to close it out today."

"Got your paperwork?" The teenage clerk asked.

"Right here." Jarod pulled out the papers and identification he had just forged. He left a half hour later carrying his silver case.

~~~~~

Philadelphia Library

Jarod sat at the public computer looking at flight schedules. He found the perfect flight and paid for it on via using a credit card that had been stored in his Haliburton.

~~~~~

Five days after he left the Centre, Jarod was on a charter boat taking him to the island where Miss Parker had been for the past 6 months.

~~~~~

The Centre

The sweeper handed Lyle the note and the quickly left.

Lyle read it. Jarod had eluded all of the tracking devices. "Dammit Dammit, DAMMITT!" Lyle shouted at the room, cursing the Pretender and then his father for being so stupid.

~~~~~

Hallway

"Sydney, Syndey!" Broots approach in his usual cautious way.

"Yes Mr. Broots?" He tried to sound calm.

"This keeps getting weirder and weirder. I looked into anything relating to the Jarod's presence at the Centre, and I found out that the computer in his old room has been regularly accessed over the past year! Is it possible that Jarod didn't escape in the plane crash like we were told?"

Sydney pondered this new thought. "It certainly would explain a lot of things Mr. Broots. See if you can get the camera from his room."

~~~~~

The Centre

Sydney found Broots at his computer. "What have you found Mr. Broots?"

"This is the feed from his room. It's been empty since I started watching."

"Hmm, there still are some changes. There is a book on the bedside side table, and there are files near the computer. Somebody has been in there. Have you checked the sim labs?"

"Yeah, he's not there. I've got a few more leads. I'll get you as soon as I find something."

"Thank you Mr. Broots."

~~~~~

Same time
Miss Parker's house on the island

Jarod took off his shoes and walked around the house to the beach behind it. He saw her towards the sea, at the area that was just out of reach for the waves at low tied. She was wearing a black bathing suit and a floral sarong which covered her legs to the knees. He decided not to disturb her, instead sitting down under a tree.

Miss Parker patted the sand that formed a foot. She was making a sand sculpture, a new past time she had taken up. She felt some eyes watching her and looked up, scanning the beach. Finally she turned around and looked up at her house. A man dressed in white sat by her tree, knees bent, with his arms resting on them, and fingering a leaf.

>Jarod? she wondered.

When he saw that she had noticed him, Jarod stood up and walked down to her. She instantly recognized how he moved. >My God, finally.

"Nice rabbit Miss Parker."

"It's better than painting, I get to run my hands over whatever I want." She raised an eyebrow at him.

He crouched next to her and took the knife from her hands. He scrapped away a bit of the sand from the nose, making it look better, and then handed the knife back

"Show off."

Jarod laughed at her bitter comment. She had to laugh a little as well. He stood up and extended a hand to her.

She took it and walked with him back up to her house. Inside, she poured two glasses of ice tea.

"How are you doing Miss Parker?"

"I'm surviving." She brushed the question off. "Did you ever find the major and the boy?"

"Yes, I found them."

"How are they?"

"I haven't been able to meet them."

"What!?"

"I've been busy."

"You searched for you father since you escaped, and now that you found him, you've been too busy?" Parker remembered the phone call when he tried to convince her that she wasn't ready to leave the Centre.

"Oh god, they didn't reeducate you did they?"

Jarod laughed. "No, I'm fine."

"Then why the hell did it take you for so long to find me? I almost figured that you'd be on my doorstep waiting for me."

"This is a great house. Your friend James is a really good guy to let you live in it."

"Yeah, he is." She replied slowly, thinking >He normally doesn't just change subjects like that.Could probably make it too She thought.

Jarod looked around him, starting with James, then to Bruce, then to across the horizon where the mainland lay, up into the sky, surveying the incoming clouds, and finally to Miss Parker.

"I can wait a day," Jarod sighed.

Miss Parker stepped closer to him and whispered, "Are you sure? We are standing in front of James! He's got money and power. He should be able to get you off this island! Helicopters..."

Jarod interrupted her and whispered back, "Helicopters won't make it in those clouds. That storm is going to come in tonight and hit pretty bad. It should though, slack off a bit in the morning, at least long enough for the boat to get here and back. I don't have a choice, but I can still wait. I can set up some things tonight from your place."

Miss Parker gave Jarod a frustrated look and then turned to James. "Fine James, but you just make sure that Captain Crunch has that boat here tomorrow morning!"

She and Jarod left, leaving Bruce and James on the dock, with the correction to the captain's name on the tip of their tongues.

~~~~~

The Docks
(Seventeen days since Jarod's escape)

Miss Parker and Jarod stood over James, who was sitting in his office. It was raining, they were wet, and the boat was not there.

"James!" Miss Parker used her most intimidating voice, and probably would have pulled out her gun if she had it.

"Parker, leave me alone! This is not my fault! Dave's wife is sick, and he needs his full attention to drive that boat across the sea! Have you looked outside? That's one ugly storm!"

"That storm isn't half as ugly as you'll be if Jarod doesn't get off this island!"

"What's the rush? So your vacation is a couple of days longer. Your boss will understand. Right Jarod?"

"It's not that simple James." Jarod tried to be a calm voice against Miss Parker's anger, but he was beginning to feel antsy about staying away for so long. Last night he had made a few phone calls to start setting Lyle up for a fall, but he needed to be on the mainland.

James looked up at Jarod. He raised his eyebrows and pleaded. "Jarod, you're on an island staying with a beautiful woman. Nobody will die because you stay a couple of more days and drink a couple more piņa coladas."

Miss Parker rolled her eyes in disgust at James' views on responsibility.

"You're wrong James" Miss Parker looked at Jarod, trying to think of a story that would convince him that Jarod must get off the island as soon as possible. "Jarod is... a surgeon. He's got patients waiting. People *could* die."

Jarod looked at her impressed. Maybe if he sounded important enough, James would help. James looked back up at Jarod.

"Look, I didn't know, but that still doesn't change anything. Nothing is coming to this island until that storm dies down."

Miss Parker was about to let out a frustrated yell, but Jarod's hand on her shoulder calmed her.

He whispered to her, "I don't like this Miss Parker, but I don't think we have a choice. I'll look over the situation again, and figure out how to cut some corners."

She looked back at him, "How can you be so calm?"

"Because I have no choice. This storm is out of my hands. I have to factor it in and move on. Sydney will be okay."

Miss Parker didn't know if she wanted to hug Jarod for his comforting words, or hit him because he wasn't making a big enough deal of the obstacles they were facing.

~~~~~

Miss Parker's House
(Twenty-two days since Jarod's escape)

"Are you sure we have time?" asked Miss Parker.

"Yeah, the boat won't be here for another half hour. Plenty of time to cook a good breakfast." Jarod called back from the kitchen.

"Jarod, why don't you go sleep. You've been working non-stop for the past five days."

Jarod turned around and grinned. "And miss the last bit of time we have together? Miss Parker, I've had a wonderful time on this island. This is the best vacation I've ever had."

Miss Parker smiled. It was nice spending so much time with Jarod, her best friend Jarod, again.

"Maybe, but if your butt doesn't get off this island soon, I'm going to kill James and use his body as a boat to get you back myself!"

Jarod laughed and opened the fridge to start pulling out vegetables. There was already a pile of some peppers, tomatoes and some local squashes when they heard a knock at the door. Miss Parker did not want to open it. She knew who was going to be there. She yanked open the door, and there stood, like she expected, James.

"You had better be here to escort us to the dock because the boat is here."

"Parker..." He started.

"No James, you listen to me, Jarod has stayed on this island six days longer than planned because of Captain Cuddle's sick wife and a storm from Poseidon. There cannot be another reason!"

"The boat is broken."

Jarod came in holding still holding the knife he was using to cut the vegetables.

"What?"

James looked at the knife, looked at Miss Parker's threatening eyes and quickly said, "The storm broke the boat. Big storms will do that, they uh, drag up things and throw them, uh that's what happened, the storm threw something at the boat and now the boats leaking, it'll take uh, a couple of days to fix."

Jarod went back into the kitchen and stabbed the knife into a tomato. James and Miss Parker heard the sound of the hard impact from the cutting board underneath. She raised an amused eyebrow toward James. He didn't like the look, so he turned and left. Miss Parker went back into the kitchen.

"This is cutting it close Miss Parker. We should just set up some tickets and get Sydney away from Lyle."

"And what about Broots, and Debbie, and Michelle, and Nicolas? Lyle knows that threatening anyone of these people, or their extended families will make you think twice about double-crossing him. The only way to save everybody is to stop Lyle!"

Jarod fingered the knife that was wedged in the cutting board. "Back to the drawing board then eh?" He let go of the knife and went to unpack his laptop again.

~~~~~

The Docks
(Twenty-five days since Jarod's escape)

For the third time, Miss Parker and Jarod stood on the docks. This time the boat was there.

"Well, it's about time. Get on that boat Jarod, and I hope I don't see you again for a couple of months."

Jarod smirked at her. "A couple of months? But I was only here for twenty days. You can't need *that* much time."

"Oh yes I do. And don't worry. All the foods you have in my house have enough chemical preservatives in them to keep them fresh for a couple of years."

Jarod smirked again. He gave her a hug and whispered in her ear, "Goodbye, friend." She whispered the same back. Jarod stepped back, grabbed his duffel bag and headed for the boat, already mentally scheduling his every move for the next five days.

"Jarod! Jarod!"

The pretender turned around at the sound of his name. He saw James running down the dock yelling at him.

"Jarod, you've got to help me, please!"

Concerned, Jarod dropped his bag and ran over to James. After a few breaths, James was able to talk.

"You said you were a doctor right? Well, you've got to help me. Like I said before, storms drag up things, and I think that something was dragged up and is making some of the locals sick. Could you please just check it out?"

"Don't you have a doctor on the island?"

"Yes, but he doesn't know what it is. Please Jarod, I'm asking you a favor to save the people here."

Jarod have Miss Parker an exasperated look.

"Okay, okay. I'll see what I can do. I'll look at them and make a list of some things that Dave should pick up."

Jarod walked back over to his duffel back and scooped it up in an exaggerated motion.

Miss Parker stepped up to Bruce. "That little tug boat that could had better still be here when we get back. Understand?"

Bruce nodded and then quickly turned back to the knots he was tying.

~~~~~

Local clinic

Jarod sat at a desk writing out a list of supplies and directions to combat the illness. He didn't know what it was. He did however, agree that it probably came in with the storm. Probably a dead animal washed up that infected some kids while they were walking down the beach. From what he could tell, two young boys were the first to come down with symptoms.

"James, this is a list of things you can do until the boat gets back with the supplies. I don't know what this illness is, but once I'm on the mainland, I'll send a local doctor your way. He or she will probably know it."

James looked the list over nodding his head. "Okay, we can handle this. Thank you Jarod."

Jarod nodded and stood up.

"Umm, Jarod?"

The pretender tried to look pleasant, but his patience was running thin.

"Yes James?"

"Do you have to leave?"

Miss Parker answered for Jarod even before James finished his question.

"YES!"

"Well, it's just that, if the storm brought this disease to this island, then it probably turned up elsewhere right? And that being the case, wouldn't the other doctors be busy taking care of people over there? Nobody's going to be able to, or want to come over to this small island and help a dozen or so people while larger numbers of people are sick. Could you stay an extra day and help?"

>Oh no thought Miss Parker. >Don't do this to Jarod. Don't make him choose James! She grabbed Jarod's arm and pulled him away from James.

"Listen Jarod. These people do not need you. You've given us instructions. We can follow them! Leave now and go save Sydney!" She gave his arm a jerk to emphasize her point.

"Miss Parker. I can stay. A lot of my time is taken up in travel. If I fly directly to Blue Cove, then I only need about thirty-six hours. I'll have to cover my travel records better since I'm not actually flying my diversion route, but I bet I can do it."

"Jarod! No! Look at how many delays have happened already, we can't afford to cut it so close."

"I've done it before Miss Parker."

"NOT with Sydney's life! If you are staying here, then I'm leaving to go back!"

This time it was Jarod who grabbed Miss Parker's arm. "You can't go back. That would defeat the purpose of everything! If you go back, there's a possibility that you'd get caught. I don't want that to happen."

"There's the same possibility that you could get caught."

"I know Miss Parker, I know. But I've had more experience in running from the Centre while they are immediately on my back. I have a better chance to survive."

Miss Parker shook her arm loose and glared at Jarod.

"You had better be right about this!"

Jarod nodded and turned back to James. "I'll stay for three more days. That's it James."

James looked like he was about to hug Jarod. "Thank you!"

Jarod looked over at Miss Parker. She was not happy about this at all.

~~~~~

Local Clinic
(Twenty-eight days since Jarod's escape)

Jarod stood looking at a patient's chart. He wrote something down and replaced it. Looking up, James was standing in the doorway with a sunken face.

"James, are you sick too?" asked the doctor in Jarod.

"No. I have horrible news."

Jarod's face immediately put on a frown at those words.

"They've quarantined us. Us and everything within a hundred mile radius. N0obody knows what this disease is so nobody's taking a chance. The boat's not coming Jarod. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for making you stay. Who knows how long this will take to clean up."

Jarod didn't even say anything. He rushed out the door and ran to Miss Parker's house.

~~~~~

Study in Miss Parker's House

Jarod was frantically assembling the calling equipment when Miss Parker came in to investigate the noise.

"What's wrong?"

"The island has been quarantined. I need to call Sydney and tell him and Broots to leave. Then I'm going to see what I can do about getting us off this island."

Miss Parker left Jarod to make his calls. She would be no use.

~~~~~

Miss Parker's House
Morning of the thirtieth day since Jarod's escape.

Miss Parker stepped out on to the porch with two cups of coffee. Jarod sat in a chair staring distantly off into the ocean.

"I should have left weeks ago Miss Parker."

"I know."

"He's going to die, and it's going to be my fault."

"Possibly."

"How could I have let him down? I tried to get us off the island, but the quarantine is too strict." Jarod turned to her, tears forming in his eyes.

"Jarod, maybe he made it away in time."

"Maybe."

They sat drinking their coffee in silence for a long time. Once they were done, Miss Parker stood up.

"Come on, let's go for a walk."

Jarod set his mug down and followed her. They started walking towards the docks.

~~~~~

The Docks

Miss Parker and Jarod were surprised to see a boat at the dock. It was a big boat. Coming off and going on were people in contamination suits. Two such dressed people came over to Miss Parker and Jarod.

"Sir, Ma'am please come with us" They gestured toward the boat.

"We're not infected." Jarod protested.

The two suits didn't listen, instead almost forcible pushing Jarod and Miss Parker toward a large box that sat on the dock in front of the boat.

"This is for your own protection Sir." The man in the contamination suit closed the door to the container.

"This is not right Miss Parker. They have no reason to do this too us." Jarod looked around the sterile container they were placed in.

Miss Parker and Jarod both stared out the small window on the door. They were looking for James, hoping that he could get them out. Miss Parker spotted him.

"James! James!" She yelled at him, but most of the sound bounced inside the container. He didn't see her as he walked past the container. They continued to look out the window for any sign of help. They saw the opposite instead.

"Hello, Parker."

"LYLE! You bastard, what are you doing here?"

"Retrieving Centre Property."

Miss Parker was shocked. "Then why did you let him go in the first place?"

Lyle looked at Miss Parker with an amused smile. "I'm not talking about Jarod."

Miss Parker slammed her fist into the window as hard as she could. The heavy plastic absorbed all the shock. Lyle didn't even flinch.

"Where are the DSAs Parker?" Lyle calmly asked.

Another voice answered that question for her. "I've got them."

"James? You son of a bitch! What the hell's the matter with you? Why are you helping him?"

"Parker, I was ruined after you dumped me."

Miss Parker didn't know what to say. "James! You own an island, you have a wife. How the hell did I ruin your life? And why ruin mine now?"

Lyle was enjoying the whole scene. "Love is such a pathetic thing, isn't it Jarod?"

The pretender's eyes darted to Lyle

"You knew where I was the *whole* time?" Miss Parker yelled.

"You certainly are much more predictable than Jarod, which is ironic because we know every move he's ever made for over thirty years. You'd think we could have caught him in the three years he was out. At least he's predictable when regarding you."

Lyle exchanged briefcases with James and shook hands. "Nice doing business with you."

Miss Parker looked at Jarod. His face was stone. His eyes were quickly covering the inside of the container, looking for weaknesses. "I'm sorry Jarod. So sorry."

Lyle shouted some directions and they could hear the chains being attached to the container. Jarod took a deep breath and turned back to the window.

"Lyle! What about Sydney?"

"He will live, provided he continues working faithfully for us. No need to concern yourself."

Miss Parker yelled once more at Lyle before the container started to be lifted onto the boat.

"If you knew where I was, and he was back at the Centre, WHAT'S THIS ALL FOR?"

Lyle grinned at her sardonically.

"It's a lesson Parker. Nobody leaves the Centre. It's bad for business."
~~~~~

The End.