Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Author’s note: This was inspired while watching the last few minutes of Bulletproof, obviously. It contains major spoilers for that episode, and it’s short. Please read and review!

To Walk, To Stand
by RRP



Walk away. It was what all the voices in my head were telling me. But my heart was caught up in-between. Stay, walk away. Walk away, stay. I stayed. I stood, I watched, and on the inside I was sobbing. I was screaming against the injustice that would allow this to happen to me, to anyone.

He was my son! They took him away! They took away my life!

Walk away, the voices still spoke.

I watched him talk with fellow students, some of them he seemed to be teaching. I could almost see myself in him– the way he held himself, the shape of his nose. His manner of speech, however, was so much like Michelle’s it was frightening.

He was standing up, leaving the group. He paused to speak with a girl, and then they parted. It was my chance, my opportunity to talk to him. My son.

Walk away.

“There is no job more important than teaching.” I said suddenly. He turned, and it seemed as if all time slowed, just for that moment. For the first time, I heard my son speak to me.

“That’s what they keep telling me.” I nodded. All the things I had planned to say suddenly seemed unimportant. I couldn’t speak for long without suspicion growing, and my stomach clenched. Even years later, they still controlled us. I couldn’t put his life in danger, therefore I had no hope of knowing my own son.

Walk away.

“Enjoy your life, it passes so quickly.” Too late. Too much. Too long. Suspicion flittered across his eyes, and he tilted his head- I saw Michelle give me that look the day she met me. I never forgot it.

“I’m sorry, do I know you from somewhere?” The irony! That he should phrase it just so! I hated them more every second. He should have known me. He should have!

Walk away.

“I’m afraid you don’t.” I replied, forcing myself to smile just a bit. Inside, I was crying, sobbing, begging for some semblance of hope; I wanted a chance! All I wanted was a chance.

He was walking away. He walked away. He did what I couldn’t do. My son was the one walking away. I realized I had been wrong all along. I wasn’t the one who was supposed to walk away.

I just stand alone.