Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: you know they are all mine because of their behaviours

Note: So here the whole blessing for the idea goes to Andrea, she knows why and she knows that she has written one of the most amazing X-File stories I have ever read – so thanks Andrea : )


One More Chance
Part One
Mary Eve Parker



I haven’t had seen Jarod in weeks, not one syllabi from him, and yes it starts to bother me. Normally he disturbed my sleep every night, not that this bothered me- I mean that I was able to sleep in one piece. But something happened and I didn’t know what – this was what bothered me.

I was at the Centre, sitting in my chair, waiting for somebody to step in but nobody came. I went for lunch and good glass of bourbon and headed back to my office. And there I found the letter which should change my life completely.

"Dear Ms. Parker
My name is Mr. McKandrick and I am the lawyer of Editha Burgham. She died in an car accident this week and I would beg you to come to the will reading on Saturday 4th at 3pm.
Sincerely, Andrew McKandrick"


"What shall this be and who is Editha Burgham?" I thought and than I remembered – she was a friend of mine. Well if you can call it a friend. She sent me Christmas Cards and stuff like that since I moved from the one house to the other. We have had been in school together – god I am getting old.

I heard a knocking and wasn’t surprised that it was Sydney who walked into my office.

"What happened?" he asked me. Did I look as shocked as I was and pale? Seemed to me like it. I handed him the piece of paper and he read it.

"She went to school with you" he remembered.

"I know Sydney but we haven’t seen in ages." I added.

"Hm … seems like she has something …"

" I know Sydney."

"And what’s the problem?"

"I haven’t even been at her wedding three years ago. God I think I was behind Jarod in Utah or was it South Carolina, I cant remember – when she married." I took a deep breath "I just send a card that I was sorry not to be there."

~*~**~*~


I think I was thinking about this letter the rest of the day, and how should I get over this week without turning crazier than I already was? It was just Thursday today.

This day I went out of the Centre early and did some shopping. I had to get a clear head again and shopping was just the right thing here – spend money on things I wouldn’t even wear, things which would be stored in the back of my closet. The last time I bought two pair of faded blue jeans and a cotton print blouse, but for which occasion should I wear it? Folks would think I am absolutely down when I would go to work this way.

This time it was something a little more fancy, Victoria’s Secret. Underwear was always good to have, even if there wasn’t a guy to make a fashion show for. But who cares? You have to take care of yourself, haven’t you?

But I was still thinking about the letter and what she might left me – a picture, maybe a yearbook.

When I came home I picked the yearbooks out from a box under the roof, to have a look at Editha.

She had been a beautiful girl, I remembered, but the boys were always behind me. Editha and I have had a lot of fun fooling around a little and making the boys nice eyes.

She went to Seattle after law school and I went to Blue Cove, back *home*. She married and that was what I knew.

~*~**~*~


The phone was ringing when I opened the door to my house and I grabbed it in a spring.

"What?" I asked, as usual.

"Are you Ms Parker?" I heard from the other side of the line.

"Yes I am Ms Parker and who are you when I am allowed to ask.", I was still able to be formal and not only and always harsh.

"I am Mr. Andrew McKandrick the lawyer of …"

"Editha Burgham"

"Well I see you got my letter."

"Yes I got it yesterday."

"Okay well its just the matter of fact that the hearing and reading is in Renton."

"In Renton, Washington?" I was stunned and unfolded the letter which was laying on the coffee table. "I thought it would be in Washington DC" I added.

"As a matter of fact its in Renton."

"Is it important that I come at all?"

"Yes its very important for you to be here, nothing is more important. The best would be if you could come with your … sorry it would be the best if you cold be at 753 Redmond Avenue at around 9 – you cant miss it, it’s a big creamy house."

"Okay I have written this address down. I will try to get a flight today at night, so I will be there in the morning."

"Thank you Ms Parker, I will see you."

"Yes I will see you tomorrow morning."

So that was it! I have had to get a flight to Seattle today at night. God I just came home from work, and thanks to got that I came home earlier than usually because of not I would missed this call.

What will this be in Renton? What should all this be? What was this about?

I went the kitchen and got myself a glass of Bourbon with ice, sat down at the coffee table, and slowly let myself lay down on the sofa.

I think it was the moment when I drifted away the telephone rang again.

"Hello?" I asked this time, just in case it could be the lawyer again.

"Hello Miss Parker" the family voice of Jarod greeted me. "How are you doing? Why are you at home so early today?" he asked.

"Well Jarod I was well before you called me because I was asleep but I am used to your calls when I am asleep and to your second question, you haven’t have left something during the last weeks, so I don’t have any work to do."

Why did I say this in such an amused way?

"Fine, sorry Parker I didn’t want to wake you, I will later."
"God Jarod … now I am awake so spill it out, why are you calling me?"

"Okay that’s not that easy to say Parker …"

"There cant be something too worse actually."

"Do you mean so?" than was a pregnant silence "I know you have to go to Renton." he added.

"Hm … well Jarod greetings and salutations about this fact. Yes I am going to Washington tonight. Why do you care?"

"I just know why you have to go."

"Okay Jarod, this isn’t funny anymore. Tell me why!" I said a little aggressive "please" I added fast.

"I cant tell you too much just that you will heir something you wouldn’t except to heir. I am not sure how you will take it but the surprise will more be a shock." Okay I was stunned, shocked and maybe a little in agony because of the loss of Editha without saying goodbye or something else during the last years. "And now take your nap Parker, you will need it!" I couldn’t ask him what he meant with these last words, and I didn’t worry. I just fell back to sleep.

~*~**~*~


"So we are landing now in Seattle, local time 9.58pm", the stewardess said "We hope that you have had a pleasant flight and that we will see you soon."

I shifted in my seat. I couldn’t wait to see what this would be tomorrow.

When I had gotten my luggage I went to the small pension where I had called in for a room.

Before I the flight from Blue Cove I told Sydney that I would have something to do in Los Angeles and my daddy that I would have to meet Adam – I don’t know where Adam is – in Boston. So nobody would suspect me to go to Renton, except Jarod. Jarod. God what did he know what I didn’t?

I took a shower, creamed my body with a new crème I bought. Somehow I think it smelled like Jarod, but I cant remember what his scent was. It was long since I have smelled him. Stop thinking Parker, stop it.

But the moment my head hit the pillow, my eyes closed, it started again. I saw him with Nia standing there. I haven’t seen them together but her and I knew that she was his first sexual contact, I felt it. I saw them standing there in the woods in the National park, holding each other kissing, sometimes in this dream they were making love or touching, but not this time.

I tried to control myself with deep breath and thinking about something different – Thomas. But it didn’t work. I laid my arm above my eyes and smelled it again – Jarod. God can I never forget him and his childish games?

This dream was like a movie. You couldn’t screw things up, you have to stop at a point or at the end. Sometimes the phone rang before they start touching, sometimes I had to go through all of it.

Being jealous? That’s the question I asked myself most. I didn’t have an answer for it. Yes, Jarod was a part of my life but a complicate one.

~*~**~*~


When I fell asleep it must have been a lot after midnight. The radio started at 7, so that I would have enough time to make my hear and find the right street.

If somebody would ask me if I am nervous I would lie but honestly said I was more than nervous. Somebody could kill me just coming from behind.

I made my hair – pulled it back in a French knot than came make up. It was agony. I couldn’t decide between full mascara or just on the eyelid. Normally I never have problems like that. And my hands were shivering and that didn’t make things easier. At all – what should I do? I couldn’t change the world. Shit, this was also one of Jarod’s favourite quotes. Get him out of your head – I told myself again. After powder and dark red lipstick I decided to be fine and look okay. It wasn’t my best work today, but well.

I had a look on my watch which was still on the dresser and noticed that it was shortly after 8, so I had to hurry. I asked the lady at the counter where I got my take away coffee where the street would be and she showed me on a copied map.

~*~**~*~


It was nearly nine and I was sitting in the car in front of the house. I couldn’t get out of the car. My knees were like jelly and my hands shaking, my skin cold.

When I heard the church bells ringing nine I collected myself and got out of the car. Slowly made my way to the door and rang the bell. It was just about a second when a tall man in a dark grey suit opened the door. I haven’t studied the house before I went in, when I was thinking in the car. It seemed to not too big but comfortable. I felt a little overdressed. Most of the people here were in simple black dress suits, even the children.

"So and you are Ms. Parker I adjust?" he asked me and the voice was familiar to me – the lawyer.

"Hello. Yes I am Ms Parker Mr. McKandrick" I stumbled.

"Come in and take a place. We have just been waiting for you."

I had a look at my watch – it was just nine and everybody was more than on time than I was.

I took a seat at the sofa and studied the little group of people standing around.

"I hope everybody has a seat" he said and was standing behind a desk, obviously a working desk.

"I know that this occasion is sad and that most of you want to grieve in silence, and don’t want to be spoilt by the last wills of Mr. and Mrs. Burgham-Jacobs but a couple of important decisions have to made – as soon as possible."

His voice was cold and monotone.

"I was told by Mrs. Burgham-Jacobs that they don’t want me to read the whole text out, word by word – just outline the facts. You can all have a close look on it afterwards."

Many heads nodded in agreement, mine too. Incidents like this one were always sad and linked to a lot of mourning.

Mr. McKandrick seemed to re-read his notices again before he started to read them out to us.

"In fact that the parents of Editha Burgham-Jacobs died three years ago in a plane crash and Norman Burgham-Jacob was an orphan, is only one family member left – Ms Geraldine Burgham-Jacobs. But, like Mrs. Burgham-Jacobs wished, she should stay in the mental hospital and not be bothered by their deaths. So there are no family members left, that’s why the second part of the Burgham-Jacob will, will be put into force."

He made a pause and waited for any interjections, but there weren’t one. I started to think who all those people were – friends mostly I think.

"So, now the difficult part starts. There isn’t a lot left honestly said. This house and the car will go to the bank because of the loans. The Burgham-Jacobs’ had arranged that nobody would be in charge for their financial troubles."

So why are all those people sitting around here now? They seem to know that there isn’t any money left!?

"Like I said there isn’t much left." There was this pregnant pause again. He seemed to love making them. "The money on the saving account will go to Byron, Dana and Gillian Burgham-Jacobs when they will turn 21. And than there are two more accounts. One is for the education of the kids and the other one is for the coasts of the funeral."

Another long break was taken. Byron, Dana and Gillian – who were they? Never heard of them. What am I doing here?

"So and now we come to the main topic. They tell in their will that the decision hasn’t been easy and that they had gone through several possibilities and decided that this one would be the best."

Okay and what was so special?

"I am sure that some of you might now know each other, some might but this isn’t important in this case. I think that all of you want to know who will get them."

Them? What’s going on here?

"Like I said the decision hasn’t been easy for them but they decided that … that it would be the best for the children…"

Children?

"… for the children to live at and with … Ms. Maximilliana Parker"

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Ms. Parker?" he asked me.

"Yes sir" I said, but I wasn’t sure if he had heard me. It seemed to be a whisper.

I was sitting her in absolute disbelieve. I couldn’t understand how somebody wants to give their children to me. Me, a female who wasn’t even able to hold the right man. Or find a new right man. Or …

I am not sure how long it took me to realise that the people were gone and that Mr. McKandrick and I were the only ones sitting in the living room.

"Ms. Parker" he said again.

"Yes." I just said.

"Don’t you want to see them?" he asked me.

"Well … I am still shocked… I mean …"

"If you don’t want them, you just have to say no and they will go to a foster family and maybe will be adopted – *in some years*. But I cant *guarantee that they will stay together*."

How he said this made me freeze. I couldn’t destroy a family, not after such an event. But on the other hand I still had my job and all those chasing after Jarod wouldn’t leave me much time for the kid.

"I think its clear that I will take them. I cant think of letting them being separated."

"Fine", he said with a smile. "You just have prove this in front of the social workers and the safe custody care in a couple of weeks."

"What do you mean?" I asked him, being more lost than ever before.

"They wont let you raise the kids if they think you aren’t able to do it the right way."

"And what does that mean?"

"You have to show them stability and love, being around them and care for them – play holy family so to say."

"Hm … well I think I can do that."

"Well … this and that you should be married to hold them."

"Marriage? Isn’t that a lot … I mean I don’t have a boyfriend at the moment and …"

"You just have to marry someone and play house." he added sarcastically.

Playing house wasn’t easy, not with me. I was used to live alone. It was hard enough to care for me. I am not sure if I could care for a couple of teenagers.

"Well I will figure things out and let you know what will be the best to be done in your situation."

"Thanks Mr McKandrick."

"You are welcome Ms Parker."

~*~**~*~


I think he saw that I didn’t fell comfortable with this situation but I couldn’t change the world.

After a minute I saw the lawyer standing next to me. He wanted to go to the children with me, show me them.

"They are in the in their rooms." he said and we went upstairs.

The house wasn’t big but clean and seemed cosy to me. It will be hard to get them out of it.

"So this is Byron’s room." he said and opened the door.

The boy was sitting on the floor playing with his wooden trains, making hissing noises. He couldn’t be more than 3 years old, if at all.

"Byron?" Mr McKandrick said. "This is Ms. Maximilliana Parker." he added.

I haven’t heard my given name that often during the last years, not since mum was dead.

"Just call me Max" I said and knelt down next to him, as good as my short skirt permitted it.

"Hello Max" he said and nearly smiled at me, but it was a said smile. I am sure that he was told what happened.

"So Byron how old are you?" I asked him softly.

"Nearly three" he said and made another circle with the train.

"Will you be okay if I leave you for a minute a look for your sisters?" I asked the small boy and he nodded.

God a three year old, it couldn’t get must worse – I thought.

"And this here is Gillian and …"

"Dana’s room I assume." I cut him off.

He opened the door and I had my first glimpse into the room. God. No. That couldn’t be true. Shit. No. Please.

"How old are they?" I asked him when I saw the babies in their cribs sleeping.

"Nearly 8 weeks." he said, and I heard the sad tone in his voice. God, 8 week old toddlers.

"You have to know that they stayed with the babysitter because Editha and Norman had to run some errands. They were nearly home when a truck hit them and they crashed into another truck. It was awful, I saw the pictures." he looked at me. "I would understand if you couldn’t take the kids. I mean you didn’t seem to be very close to her."

I nodded. "I haven’t seen her for a long time. We both went into different directions after we finished law school." I caught myself thinking about how they would live in a foster family. "But Editha wanted me to take care of her kids and I will give my best." I added. I couldn’t believe that I have said this – but somehow I felt guilty for not attending her wedding years ago.

"You will have to move them out of the till Tuesday"

"Tuesday?" I asked in mistrust.

"Yes, the bank wants the house to be sold at an auction on Wednesday."

"That’s a little fast, even for me."

"Well Ms Parker, I hope your hotel room is big enough for those kids or you will sleep here because I have to leave you now."

"What?" I inquired. "I don’t know how to deal with kids, especially not with such young ones."

"There is enough food stored in the fridge and I would say it’s the best you learn fast how to deal with them." he nearly turned away. "The girls usually wake up all three hours to get their bottle and Byron doesn’t like mashed carrots he told me."

And than he was away.

And I was standing in this light pink room.

Not able to think what I will do next.


~*~**~*~ END PART ONE ~*~**~*~

want more? let me know