Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

See header for disclaimer.

Falling Down an Upward Spiral (part 3/8)

by M. Rose

~*~*~

He woke up feeling better than he had in a very long time and for a moment he thought it was just another one of his dreams. A glorious dream where there were no barriers between them and they could explore the connection that began so long ago. But as he opened his eyes and saw her sleeping form next to him, he knew it was far better than any dream he'd ever had.

He smiled as he thought about the way she pulled him down on top of her last night. Even half-asleep, she was demanding, but she wasn't asleep when she licked her way down his chest. She wasn't asleep as she pulled down his jeans and took him in her mouth and she wasn't asleep as they found their way to her bedroom not caring what was knocked over in the process.

He will forever remember the aroma of need that hung in the air between them and how their frenzied pace slowed down once in the bedroom as they continued to explore each other.

He knew that he wasn't as experienced as she was when it came to sex, but he was far from innocent. However, he had never felt as complete as he did when he was with her. Their bond went beyond the normal male/female attraction or simple childhood crush. It was surreal and cataclysmic.

Careful not to rouse her, he brushed a strand of hair away from her face and then caressed her cheek. The softness of her skin reminded him that she wasn't the cold and manipulative person she pretended to be, but someone who was capable of love. Someone who was as sick as he was of feeling empty and alone. Someone who realized that he wasn't the enemy. He was her friend.

What they *could* have was always within their grasp. It was the Centre that took that possibility away, abused his abilities, stole his life and kept her in their control ... kept both of them under control for so long.

As he watched her sleep, he recognized the feeling of contentment that grew within him. It was a feeling he wanted to wake up with every day for the rest of his life.

It was time for them to be happy. They deserved it, but did she feel the same? Doubt crept in as he wondered how she would act when she woke up. Would she deny her feelings and put up a wall around her heart yet again?

His stomach growled and he stilled his movements as she shifted in bed. He didn't want to wake her and got out of bed as quietly as he could, put on his jeans and headed towards the kitchen in search of something to eat.

As he suspected, she didn't have much in the form of food, but he was able to make some toast. While he ate, he brewed some coffee. He had heard what a terror she could be if she didn't have a cup first thing in the morning and if he was going to convince her to leave with him, he needed as much ammunition as possible.

He thought he heard movements coming from her bedroom and knew she was awake. He picked up their mugs and mentally prepared himself for what was about to occur.

He didn't know what to expect, but he certainly didn't expect her to swing a 9 iron in his direction.

He wasn't that bad last night, was he?

"Parker."

The shocked look on her face as she realized it was him, wasn't a good sign.

She placed a hand over her heart as she tried to control her breathing. "Jesus Jarod, what the hell are you doing here?"

It wasn't a good sign at all.

"I ... uh ..." he bent down to pick up pieces of ceramic. He had dropped the mugs in an attempt to avoid the swinging golf club. "made some coffee for you."

As he stood, he noticed her staring at his bare chest and connecting the dots in her head. Maybe she thought last night was a dream, as he had when he first woke up? It seemed to be a logical conclusion, although a bit hurtful one. As he looked at her face pale before him, he knew there was something more going on in that head of hers.

"Parker, are you okay?"

~*~*~

She sank into the corner of her bed.

She was far from okay. Her world was spinning out of control. To dream about Jarod was one thing, but for it to become reality was something else all together.

He knelt down in front her and placed his hand on her knee. "Speak to me, Parker."

She looked up to see his worried expression, but all she saw was his bloodied corpse on the bed and the look of satisfaction on Lyle's face.

She led the Centre to Jarod and he died -- because of her.

But he wasn't dead; he was flesh and blood in front of her.

And then it hit her like a ton of bricks, it hadn't been a dream, it was a premonition. She couldn't explain it, but she just knew if he stayed there, the Centre would find out and then he would end up just like Tommy. She couldn't let that happen again. Not as long as she could do something to prevent it.

She didn't want any more blood on her hands.

She brushed his hand off her knee, stood up and placed both hands on her hips.

"You broke into my home last night, why?"

"We need to talk."

~*~*~

"Is that how you talk to people these days? By breaking into their homes?"

Her sudden shift in mood threw him. One moment she was about to collapse in a heap on the floor and in the next, she was back in her Miss Parker persona.

But he knew she was just scared, of what exactly, he wasn't sure yet.

"I came here because ..." he wanted to say because he loved her and wanted her to come with him, but instead he said, "you are in grave danger."

She laughed. "Comes with territory when you work at the Centre." Her amusement died down as she continued. "Now, tell me something I don't know."

He wanted to tell her about his nightmares and how afraid he was that they would come true. But he knew she needed more than that. "Someone sent me a video email--."

Before he could finish she interrupted, "Who?"

"I don't know."

He could tell she was losing her patience. "Okay, then, what is it? And what does have to do with me?"

"I think you should see for yourself." She followed him as he left the bedroom and headed towards the living room.

He paused for a moment as he took in the scene. In the light of day, she would be able to see their clothes scattered around the room, proof of a night of unbridled passion.

Either she was too focused on the video to notice or she was just avoiding the obvious. She motioned him to hurry along as he pulled his laptop out of his bag and placed it on the dining room table. He picked up his discarded undershirt and put it on as she watched the footage unfold.

Lyle was meeting a man she hadn't seen before at the Centre's parking garage. He gave the unknown man an envelope and instructed him to make sure Miss Parker was in the warehouse before triggering the explosives. She figured the envelope consisted of money and a picture of her.

When the video ended, she paced around the room like a caged animal.

"He's not going to stop until you're dead."

She stopped dead in her tracks and turned to face him as she said through clenched teeth, "Neither am I."