Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Living on a Prayer
By: G. Barton

Disclaimer: I don't own thwm just borrowed them. Please don't sue. Also the songs used in this fi belong to Michelle Branch. So Michelle please don't be mad. I'm just a poor fan.

Note: I know this fic really doesn't go with any kind of Pretender story line but I wanted something different. So I hope you will enjoy it anyway. Thanks.

Parker heard a knock at her door. She peeked out to see him standing there.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as she stood face to face with the pretender.

"I don't want *us* to be over." He reached out to touch her hand.

She jerked back, crossing her arms at her chest. "There is no *us* anymore, Jarod."

"Can I come in?"

"No."

He knew by the look on her face there was no way he was getting by her. "We need to talk."

"There is nothing else to say." She didn't move. She just stared into his brown puppy dog eyes. She wanted to hug him, tell him she was sorry for treating him that way. But she knew she would get caught. They had come close so many times before and she couldn't risk it again, especially now. "You need to leave. I'm expecting company."

"Wyatt?"

"How did you know...?"

"You would be surprised what I know, Miss Parker."

She gave him a look that could have shot him dead.

"For instance, you are carrying my baby."

She must have looked shocked by his words because the next thing she remembered Jarod was saying, "Now can we talk?"

"No." She slammed the door in his face. "How does he know everything?" She thought as she walked away.

"I'm not leaving until we talk!" Jarod shouted louder.

Parker tried to ignored him but he kept on talking about them.

"Parker, remember the night we spent in Florida. The way you took full advantage of me and I didn't care. Do you remember the way I touched your skin? You are so soft. Everytime, I would get close to you, you would kiss me. Remember the moans that escaped from your mouth every time I would.... it makes me warm inside....to touch you....to feel you next to me. Can you feel it too?"

Parker sat on the couch listening to his every word. She wanted so much to pull him into her arms and hold him. She missed him too but she knew she couldn't allow it to go on any longer.

She remembered what her father had said three months earlier....

"Angel, I have noticed that you seem distracted in your work."

"No, daddy." She tried to deny it but knew he could see right through her.

"There is only thing that gets you distracted....a man. Am I right?"

"I don't..."

"Now Angel, you know I will find out the truth. Don't lie to me! I'm your father."

"Yes. I have been seeing someone." She tried to make eye contact but failed.

"Angel, you are letting it interfere with your pursuit of Jarod and I can't have it. If you don't end this soon, I will."

"But daddy..."

"I won't have it!"

"Daddy, just listen to me..." She knew if he found out who the man was she would be dead. "Why can I be happy like everyone else?"

"Because you don't have time for it now. After you take over as chairman you can be happy with whomever you want."

"That is not fair!" She shouted.

'Cause you're everywhere to me
And when I close me eyes it's you I see

Then all of a sudden she noticed that Jarod quit talking. She ran to the door hoping he hadn't left. When she opened the door she saw him sitting on the steps, leaned against the railing.

She didn't know what she should do next so she stepped back into the house.

"No, I haven't left." He whispered as he heard her step back.

She didn't say a word.

"I know you don't want me too either." He turned to see her walk back inside. She left the door open inviting him in without saying the words. He got up and followed her, shutting the door behind him.

When Jarod saw her again she was sitting on the couch. He sat down next to her. He reached for her hand again. This time she didn't resist.

"Jarod, we can't see each other anymore. I wish you would just accept that." She spoke softly.

"Why?"

"Because it won't be right." She avoided his eyes.

"What?" He looked puzzled.

"The hunter and the prey....dating." She glanced up at him with her eyes only.

He ran his fingers over her cheek. "You have been crying. I hate to see you cry, Parker."

"Then leave."

"I can't."

"You have too." She stood crossing her arms again.

"Why? Because daddy told you to stop seeing me?!" He stood next to her with his face only inches from hers.

"Ye...no!" She changed her answer in the middle of her sentence, hoping he wouldn't have noticed but then again he was Jarod.

"Did he threaten you?"

"No."

"Me?"

She didn't answer.

"What did he say?"

"Nothing." She whispered. She turned to face to the wall but Jarod rotated her back toward him.

"I'm not giving up on you or this baby! I *will* not let the Centre take you away from me like they did my family!"

Parker heard a car pull into the drive way. "You have to go. Wyatt is here."

"I'm not going." He sat back down on the couch.

"Jarod, go. I promise I will meet you later and we will talk."

"No!"

"Look hard head, if you get caught here we will both die, do you want that?!"

They both heard steps coming up on the stairs.

"Fine but I will call you with a place to meet."

"Fine. Now go!" She pointed toward the back door.

Jarod got up and slipped out. Parker made sure he was out the door before she made her way to the front door.

She took a deep breath then opened the door. "Wyatt." She smiled.

"I'm sorry it took me so long to get here. The traffic seems to be worse today than usual." He gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"It's ok. I was trying to catch up on some last minute things."

"Where do you want to go tonight?"

"Surprise me." She grabbed her purse and followed him out.

******

Restaurant
Dover, Delaware

Wyatt pulled the chair out for Parker, then took his seat. As they looked over the menus Parker noticed someone very familiar sitting at the bar staring at her.

"Damn it." She said under her breath.

"Something wrong?"

"Oh...no. Order for me. I will be back. Little girls room." She stood and walked over toward the bar. "This way, NOW!" She snapped her fingers. Jarod quickly followed her.

"What in the HELL are you doing here?!" She asked they stepped in a small hallway.

"Having supper. And you?"

"You followed us!"

"No, actually I was here first."

"Impossible!"

"I did leave before you, remember?" A cocky smiled formed on his lips.

"You son-a-bit...get your food to go!" She turned to leave when he grabbed her arm. "I have the right to eat here just as much as you do!" He told her. Then he pushed her against him. He took a deep breath. "You smell the same."

"Let go of me!" Her eyes narrowed with every word.

"I guess we can pick this up later." He let out a small chuckle before he let her go.

******

Wyatt and Parker arrived back at her house. "You are being quiet tonight." Wyatt said as he opened the car door.

"Mmm." Parker appeared to be distracted.

"What is wrong? You have been distracted all night." He helped her out of the car.

"Nothing." She dug her house key out of her purse.

Wyatt opened the door for her. "Who was the man?"

"What man?"

"The man at the restaurant?"

"I don't know what you are talking about." She sat her things down.

"Parker." He cupped her face into his hands. "He is the father, isn't he?"

"How did you know?"

"Parker, I saw the way you two were looking at each other. There is more between you than you want to let on."

"I'm sorry, Wyatt."

"Parker, I knew going into this relationship you wouldn't feel the same about me."

"I didn't want to hurt you."

"You didn't. I hurt myself." He stared into her baby blues. "Good night." He kissed her cheek.

"Good night." She whispered as she watched him drive away.

Part 2