Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Pretender Payback
PART 30
by KB



KB sat in front of her lap top with her hair clutched in a knot in both hands. Occasionally she would type out a sentence, glare at the screen and then press a button which made the lot vanish. Jarod watched this for several seconds before deciding to interrupt.

"What's wrong?"

"Oh God, not another one!"

"What?!"

KB sighed deeply and then spun her chair around to face him. "I got an idea for a story but I'm trying to work out my links and I don't know how to get to where I want to go. And the interruptions don't help."

"Maybe I should leave?"

She grabbed his top and held him back. "Oh, don't be silly. And a break is always helpful."

Jarod leaned against the desk and looked at her. "So you're having difficulties with writing this stuff?"

"Heck, we all have difficulties."

"Well, why not ask the characters? The others do. Kitty, Madeline, Cassandra and the others are around here as much as the writers are."

"I tried, but they just wont talk to me sometimes. In fact, I've never actually seen them, face to face. I just see them in my mind, and hear th eir voices in my ears."

"Any other problems?"

"I'm in the middle of two major stories at once, but each time I get stuck on one and try to work on the other, the characters have become so different that I can't reconcile the two different images. So I end up stuck on both."

"Then what do you do?"

KB grinned. "Write little pieces that are, hopefully, amusing and sufficient to distract other people from your lack of progress."

Jarod looked at the floor for a second. "Where are the other writers?"

„Watching the new episode. I got this idea and I’ll watch it on tape at some point."

At this juncture a loud racket made the two start and a surge of other writers surrounded them, laughing and recalling the best bits of the epis ode they had just seen..

"Ooh, wow."

"We gotta see Jarod like that more often!"

"Smiling, you mean, or shirtless?"

"Both!"

Jarod grinned at the women, who had not seen that he was there and both of whom shrieked loudly. "Gee thanks, Rebeckah, Sarah. I always appreciate compliments."

"Are you still stuck, KB?"

"Yeah."

"How did you know, Princess?"

"I stuck my head in during the ad break and saw her clutching her head in both hands and groaning. And then, when I came back, someone had eaten the last chocolate biscuit."

"Oh, and we've got no idea who that might be, do we?" Trisha looked a round but her amused smile was replaced by an bemused glance. "Okay, where's Danielle : - )?"

The others looked around, equally mystified.

"No idea."

"Did she leave the room when we did?"

"Did she even stay to the end?"

KB grinned. „Oh, I'm willing to bet that she stayed 'til the end. But as for leaving the room, I'd be guessing that she's still there. But not alone."

"What on earth....?"

"I don't get it!"

KB rolled her eyes heavenwards. "Okay, let's simplify things! All those who've heard of the alt.tv.pretender ng, raise your hand."

Jarod timidly interrupted "P...please, what's an ng?"

This time it was Nicolette who rolled her eyes. "News group. Continue, KB."

"Okay, on this particular ng we were having a discussion similar to one in this series about the numbers of men who were interested in Pretender. In fact, it started when a guy called Brad suggested that Jarod was getting all the girls."

At this point, Jarod snickered, but receiving glares from several women, piped down and tried to hide.

"Anyway," KB continued, "A few people, mostly women, gave him some suggestions, and then, after Rebeckah had mentioned about that Gothic Jarod Doll that she talked about here, Danielle : -) suggested, well why don't I just show you?"

With a wave of her hand, a wall in the room vanished and showed Danielle: - ) at her computer. As the writers watched, she began to giggle helplessly and writhe in her chair but, sobering slightly, she began to type and, for the benefit of the writers, the words she typed appeared on the wall above her head:

"What you need to do is find a girl who likes the Pretender, so you can share it together!!! Me, for example... *G*
Danielle : - ) can't believe I said that...~"

"So?"

The comment came from several people and KB snorted and went back to the seat in front of the computer. "Oh, please. Every last one of you has more romanticism in your little finger than I do in my whole body, and yet you can't work out what's going on?"

"But...it’s Danielle : - )... She never does things like that!"

"Oh, come on. Are you expecting me to believe that she couldn’t possibly... well, let’s just say that I don't think she’d have to try too hard. I mean, she was very eager to have this Pretender Party, wasn’t she? And she was well aware that there’d be plenty of men there, right?"

The writers stood for a few seconds. Then there was an outburst of raucous laughter. One or two of the writers had to wipe their eyes several times and one was even bent over and gasping for breath.

"So," Jarod spoke over the noise after recovering his own composure,

"How was the party?"

"There was a party and I wasn’t invited?" Lyle’s indignation was apparent even before he appeared among the group.

"Of course you weren’t invited! We see your bad deeds enough by reading all of the stories. We don't need to see you gloating over Lyle’s on-screen antics as well!"

"Don’t you think I've been killed often enough?"

KB stood and smirked. "If you think that’s bad, wait until you see what I'm going to do to you in the next part of Total Recall."

Lyle groaned and slumped down onto the floor. Jarod leaned down and offered him a hand, which Lyle rejected with a sneer curling his top lip. "No thanks, Frankenboy. If it wasn’t for you, I’d be the only sex-object on the series. As it is, I have to play second fiddle to a man who uses hair-gel like it’s going out of fashion and who doesn’t know who Madonna is."

"Who?"

Lyle groaned and shook his head while Jarod wandered away, muttering to himself. "I know I've been insulted, but I wish someone could tell me how."



KB