Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: We all know who owns 'em, and it certainly isn't me. Also, I have to apologize to KB and Danielle :-) for this - I just couldn't resist. I'm coming down off a stress high (flute recital today...), so I'm in a bit of a strange mood....


Pretender Payback
PART 9: NEW LIGHT STORY
by KB



Jarod sat, nursing his arm and cursing softly, and glared at the ugly burn mark on his lower limb. The fact that it really wasn’t hurting and that the pain was all in his mind was no real comfort. In fact, the fact that Miss Parker’s eyesight appeared to be rapidly deteriorating was the only positive part of the current situation, as far as he could see. At least it would mean she was less likely to hit him the next time she pulled the trigger. As these thoughts passed through his mind, he saw a female figure emerge from a doorway and walk over. She knelt beside him, the length of her skirt rivalling Miss Parker’s and making his eyes pop.

„You aren’t a new character, I suppose?" he asked, hopefully.

„Nope, sorry. I just felt like wearing a bit of colour today, that’s all. Now, let’s see what we can do about this." She put her hand on his arm, covering the mark, but before she could say anything else, the other characters crept out from another doorway and surrounded them. The writer was held, her arms pulled out from her body, by Lyle, Brigitte and Raines.

„Well, KB, nice of you to join us." Raines snarled, a grin creasing his face and threatening to dislodge the tube under his nose. KB, grinning quietly to herself, began to move the index finger of her right hand in a circular motion. Brigitte, who was holding onto it, found herself flung into the air, where she preceded to perform continuous cartwheels, loud shrieks accompanying each one. While Lyle grabbed both her arms and pulled them behind her back, Raines pulled out his gun. While Lyle watched, he aimed it at the writer. Jarod tried to grab the weapon but he was a little too slow and KB slumped to the ground. Brigitte, too, found herself back on solid ground but the next scenes were so entertaining that it took her some time to realise that she was viewing each from a lightly inverted position. Raines, satisfied with the result of his handiwork, stepped back, but a slight movement from the figure meant that he aimed the gun again and pulled the trigger. However his smirk faded as the bullet bounced off an unseen screen and.... yes, you guessed it. Up went the tank and Raines with it. At this, KB picked herself up off the floor and proceeded to brush herself off.

Other writers appeared and took charge of the various characters, leaving Raines to go up in flames in the middle of the room. Sarah, who was not unwillingly in charge of Lyle, grinned as KB, in dismay, stared at the round, slightly blackened hole in her suit. She stepped forward and, as she grabbed hold of Raines, the flames vanished into nowhere.

„Damn it, Raines, that was a new suit. Couldn’t you have damaged the black one?" She glared at him and he warily took at step back. A titter from the Princess made KB grin inadvertently, which widened into a laugh as she took in the faces of the characters, all of whom were staring, open-mouthed, at this supposed miracle. The final group of writers appeared behind her.

„See," said EmJae. „We told you last time that you couldn’t hurt us. It really isn’t any use trying, you know. And we can help you, too."

Jarod, unable to resist, stepped forward. „Well what about.... " he looked down as he held out his arm and then looked at the other, confused.

Finally he looked up at KB. „You mean you.... how.... what.... when.... "

„Oh, for Pete’s sake," she grinned. „You sound like Broots. Yes, I did it. And, no, it wasn’t difficult." Then she turned to Miss Parker.

„Look, let’s leave the wax alone, shall we? Accidents can happen and if any young people were to read this and get ideas.... " Miss Parker, infuriated, lunged forward but KB only took a step back and Miss Parker found herself looking down into a large, black pit. With a cry, she shut her eyes and prepared to be lost forever in the bowels of the earth.

Suddenly she felt herself stop and looked up to find Danielle : - ) holding one shoulder.

„Enough?" Miss Parker nodded mutely, but was quick enough to see the disappointment spread across the face of her stepmother as she righted herself and the hole disappeared. The urge was too great and she stuck out her tongue, even as she was returned to the not-unwelcoming control of Christina. Sydney was hard-pressed not to laugh as, held by Gena, he saw Brigitte try to grab her step-daughter and ended up lying with her face in a large pile of dust. By the time she had finished the thirty-first sneeze, most of the writers were sore from giggling to do anything but writhe with laughter.

Brigitte looked as one of the few male writers gallantly held out his hand to help her to her feet. Ignoring the proffered assistance, she pulled herself upright. The young man shrugged his shoulders and moved away from the characters towards a welcoming group of writers, unaware that Miss Parker was eyeing him. Mandy, however, had been keeping an eye on her charge and, as she whispered in the ear of the captive, Miss Parker’s expression changed from hopeful to glum and she slumped her shoulders in disappointment.

„I have a question." All eyes were turned to Jarod. „How come none of the others are here? I mean, you guys include Kyle and Thomas in your stories but they don’t have to go through all of this themselves. It seems a little unfair."

„That’s an easy one." Rebekah answered. „They’re dead."
„So?"

„So.... they’re helping us now!" Two of the writers, at a wave from Trisha, stepped forward and pulled back their black head-coverings. There, after more than a year, stood Kyle and Miss Parker gasped at the other figure revealed himself as Thomas. However, looking at the expression on his face, Miss Parker suddenly became aware that he had probably seen her look at the other male writer and she flushed red. Mandy walked the other woman forward and said a few quiet words to Thomas before walking back to rejoin the group. Next moment the two were in each other’s arms , even as Kyle and Jarod had a joyful reunion. Raines tried to ignore the resentful glances which Kyle shot at him every few minutes and walked forward to where Danielle : - ), Apollo’s Girl and KB were speaking.

„Well, what about me?"

„What about you? Do you really expect us to give you back your daughter ?

What kind of things would you teach her? Really, Raines, you should know better." With a defiant squeak, he turned and walked over to where he thought one of the chairs had been before the lights dimmed. As he sat down, however, he found that he had been mistaken. The loud thud attracted the attention of almost everyone in the room and the laughter rivalled that which had occurred earlier. Apollo’s Girl looked around.

„Well, if KB’s finished making a martyr of herself, are we all finished?"

Everyone looked at everyone else until it was clear that no-one had anything else to say. Danielle : - ) looked over at Kyle and Thomas. „Come on, guys. Time to go. Thomas, Sarah needs your help with a new story. And, Kyle, I could do with a hand." KB snickered quietly and whispered into Danielle : - )’s ear. The two collapsed into peals of laughter for the third time that day and, as the dark faded, dragged themselves back into obscurity.