Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Title: Statutes of Limitations
Author: Rising Sun
E-mail: jagrslc@yahoo.com
The FF of Rising Sun is archived at: http://www.geocities.com/jagrslc
For updates on FF by Rising Sun join: jagrslc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Rated: PG-13
Classification: JAG Story/Adventure/Romance: Harm/Mac
Summary: Where ones reputation is involved there is no such thing. Harm and Mac must investigate an accusation against Admiral Morris.
Spoiler: Reference to Iron Coffin, Collision Course and A Separate Peace
Disclaimer: JAG characters portrayed belong to JAG, CBS and Paramount Television. No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental.



Author’s Notes: Part two of a cross over story arc that includes:

The Pretender/Timeless
JAG/Statutes of Limitations
First Monday/… and Justice for All
Star Trek/Lessons Learnt
All available at http://www.geocities.com/jagrslc/cross_over/cross_story/onefftoc.htm
Feedback: Please?
Story Written February 19, 2002

------------------------------------------------------------------



0525 LOCAL

MAC’S APARTMENT

GEORGETOWN



Mac unfolded her copy of the Washington Post and choked on her coffee. The headlines screamed at her “ADMIRAL MORRIS ACCUSED OF ATTEMPTED MURDER.” As she struggled to regain control of herself the phone rang. Still coughing she answered. “Lt. Colonel Mackenzie here.”



It was her Commanding Officer, Admiral AJ Chegweddgin, the Judge Advocate General. “You Ok Colonel?”



“Swallowed my coffee badly sir.”



“Have you seen the paper!” he demanded



“The reason I swallowed my coffee badly sir.” She replied in a strangulated voice.



“My office 0700.” He ordered.



“Aye sir.”



================================



0655 LOCAL

JAG HQ



The bullpen was slowly beginning to fill up. Mac spotted her partner Commander Harmon Rabb Jr. “He sent for you too?”



“The last time he hauled us in at this time was for submarine duty.” He replied.



They walked into the Admiral’s office. He was still fuming. Before the duo could snap to he launched “Have a seat. Commander I am aware that the Colonel has seen the morning edition of the Washington Post … have you?”



“Er … no sir.” Harm admitted.



AJ handed him a copy. As he read it, the Admiral continued. “Pass all your cases to others this is priority number one…” he raised his hand to stop Mac’s attempt to speak. “The President is pressuring SECNAV, who is pressuring me and I am putting my best people on this.” He looked at Harm “You with us Commander!”



“Yes sir.”



“The Colonel will take point on this… you have a problem with that” AJ glared at the junior officer.



Harm shook his head “No sir.”



“Good… questions?”



“Sir is not Article 43 in effect here?” Mac asked. “If the news report is correct it’s been thirty years!”



AJ nodded, “True the statue of limitations has expired by a long shot. Some twenty-five years… but I will not have a fine officer like Admiral Morris slandered this way! The accusation has been made … we need to address it.”



“Sir you are assuming that the allegations are false?” Harm sort clarification.



“Commander you know better than that! Go investigate… bring me back proof one way or another. If he did it then will nail him with conduct unbecoming … to start with. If there is nothing then we need to find that out too. Am I clear!”



“Aye sir!” Harm replied.



“The Admiral is a fine officer and a fine African American who is a credit to his uniform and his race... But I want the truth. Anything else?” He growled.



“No sir.” They replied.



“Then dismissed!”



================================



1650 LOCAL

JAG HQ – CONFERENCE ROOM



Admiral Morris sat at the head of the table flanked by Harm and Mac.



“Thank you for coming sir.” Mac said.



“Colonel this is a load of horse manure!” he was indignant.



“Be that as it may sir. You need to defend yourself against the allegations.” Harm pointed out. He remembered a similar conversation with Admiral Boone in this very same room. He hoped for better results this time round.



Mac launched into the interview. “Admiral what was your station in July 1972?”



“I was a j.g. onboard the USS Guadalcanal.”



“Did you know Lt. (JG) Auguste?” Harm asked.



The Admiral looked at him as though he were a fool. “Of course I knew her. We were serving to the same carrier.”



“Were you with her when the accident occurred?” Mac inquired.



“No!” he snapped.



“Did you know her arrangements for her shore leave?” Harm requested.



Morris paused to think. “She mentioned that she would go down to the town and meet the guide there. What was his name?” The team waited for him to pull up the memory. “Ernie? No Errol that’s right Errol.”



“Do you know the last name?” Harm pushed.



“You don’t ask much do you? Let me think… it began with and A. Ali? No… “ He closed his eyes trying to reply a conversation that took place three decades before. “I’m not sure but I think it was Alcindor.”



“Errol Alcindor?” Harm put the names together.



He shrugged. “The best I can do after all this time.” He snapped his fingers “Errol and Sheila. It was a pair of guides. I may not be sure on the surname but it was definitely Errol and Sheila.”



“What was the reaction to the accident onboard?” Mac asked.



“As expected. Shock. The Lieutenant was an accomplished climber. She’d climbed more torturous slopes than this in her time.” He expanded.



“Sir…” Mac paused she had to ask. “Where were you when the accident occurred?”



He took a deep breath. As a Judge he knew the questions were necessary but that did not make this any easier. “In Castries.”



“Where sir?” Harm asked.



“Son. If you are going to investigate this thing you had better do your geography homework. Castries was the main port of the island where the accident occurred.” He informed him. “The accident took place in Soufriere on the West Coast and I was in the north... in Castries” He had volunteered a lot more than asked.



“You had witnesses sir?” Mac continued.



“Colonel! That was thirty years ago I don’t remember. If I had realized that I would need one I’d have kept it in my logbook. “ He sneered.



“Be that as it may sir a witness would be of assistance to you.” She pointed out.



He sobered and nodded his agreement.



Mac exchanged glances with her partner “Thank you sir. Should we need further clarification we will be in touch.”



“Good day.” He replied and was gone.



Harm let out the breath he had been holding. “I guess next stop is… where is this place?”



She looked at her file. “Saint Lucia – Caribbean.”



“Then let’s do it.”



================================



TWO DAYS LATER

1234 LOCAL – TOWN OF SOUFRIERE



For such a small island it had been a winding tortuous road to the rustic town. They stopped at the town square and asked directions to the residence of Errol Alcindor. They were taking the chance that he was still around.



Harm knocked on the door and a man in his thirties opened. He was tall. Same height as Harm his brown completion was tanned to perfection. He flashed a set of perfect white teeth at the two. “Yes?”



“I am Lt. Colonel Sarah Mackenzie and this is my partner Commander Harmon Rabb. Is this the residence of Errol and Sheila Alcindor?” Mac asked.



He focused on Mac and Harm felt a wave of jealousy as the man admired the Marine. “I’m Errol Alcindor.”



There was a split second of confusion then Harm replied, “I doubt you were running tours in the early 70s”



“Ah you want my old man! Now what would Uncle Sam want with him?” his smile deepened.



Harm’s emotions raged. “That is between us and him.”



“Really?” Errol said, “Then by all means let me take you to him. Follow me!” he closed the door and walked off.



“What is the matter with you!” Mac hissed as they followed the man. Harm didn’t reply.



“There they are.” Errol pointed.



“They?” Mac echoed.



“They; being my parents.” Again he pointed. They were standing before a headstone on the edge of the town cemetery. “Now if you will excuse me…” He turned to leave.



“Maybe you can assist us.” Harm called to the man.



He stopped. “With?”



“We are trying to investigate an accident that took place in 1972 while your father was a guide.” Mac explained.



Errol snorted. “Accident! My father told many a tale of accidents. Tourists then and now don’t seem to have changed much. By and large they are ok but you get one or two who don’t hear well and do the opposite of anything the guide tells them. Accident! Colonel you will have to be more specific than that.”



“The one where the helicopter was needed … that should stand out not many in those days huh?” Harm sneered. His testosterone levels were at critical.



Errol’s levels leaped as well. “You look at me and see some island bumpkin. Let me inform you COMMANDER I am no fool. It is Dr. Alcindor to you and down here it is easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar. You want information yet arrive here with attitude. That may work in the States BUT NOT HERE!”



He stomped off, but not before he heard Mac mutter “Ca Christi!” He stopped.



“Vous êtes Créole?” (You are Creole?) He asked.



“Haut-parleur français” (French speaker.) She replied.



He reverted to English. “Come. Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. Let’s find some shade and talk.”



She whispered to Harm. “And you keep quiet.”



They followed him into a bar. “What’s your poison?”



“Beer.” Harm replied.



“Non alcoholic.” Mac indicated.



“Alphonse!” He cried “Two Pitons and a malt! And bring it before Christmas!” Once seated and equipped with their drinks Errol brought them back to business. “In those days Saint Lucia was a colony of Britain.”



“I take it that that is not longer true?” Harm asked.



“Is the US still a colony?” Errol obviously annoyed answered with a question.



Mac rolled her eyes. “You were saying.”



“At that time in the early 70s there was a Governor sent out from the UK. According to my father and his stories the helicopter had to be sent out more often that expected.”



Mac absorbed the information. “This incident occurred with military personal a female lieutenant slipped off Petit Piton but didn’t die.”



“Ah that one!”



“You know the story?” Harm was eager.



“He was forever telling that one as and example of how even the military once they became tourist were like any one else.” He said. “The story goes that he went up with the two of them a man and a woman while my mum stayed at the mid point. They woke early to catch the morning view but beheld the fallen woman instead.”



“That it?” Harm said.



“What else is there?” He retorted.



“Did your father notice anything about the two.” Mac propped.



He shrugged. “He always marveled that they were a mixed couple. Mixed meaning that the guy was black and the woman white. It may be common now but in 1972?” he left the rest unsaid.



“Why would he think they were a couple?” Harm asked.



“The same way I know you two are… vibes.” He replied.



“We are not a couple.” Harm automatically assured the Doctor. “Is there anything else?”



His look told him that he didn’t believe. “He always said that he was suspicious of the whole thing. That the woman seemed to be an experienced climber and for her to go over like that was fishy.”



“Fishy.” Harm grinned.



“Yeah smelt not right.”



Mac stood. “Thank you Doctor Alcindor.”



“Errol.” He corrected. He stopped Harm from paying. “I own the place. The drinks are on me.”



“Thank you.” Harm replied.



Errol nodded in acknowledgement.



“Nice guy.” Harm said as the drove off.



Mac made no comment… she’d never understand men.



=================================



1020 LOCAL

THE CENTER

BLUE COVE, DELAWARE



A slightly balding man of about sixty years of age was on the phone. “Parker here… yes sir. I have seen the papers.”



He listened. “I assure you I am monitoring the situation. It has been thirty years the JAG team may be good but they will find nothing.”



Again he paused. “He has risen to the rank of Admiral he is entrenched deep it would be tragic to eliminate him now. I recommend that we reassign him.”



The man on the other end spoke. “I agree a wait and see approach is advisable. May I assume that should an unacceptable outcome emerge that we reassign him?”



The other man spoke. Parker gave a vampire smile “I agree… So the first assignment is to retire Clarke Palmer… he is no longer of any use to us.”



Parker hung up the phone.



================================



1650 LOCAL

JAG HQ



Harm and Mac had walked into a minefield.



“What have you got!” The SECNAV demanded.



“Nothing conclusive sir.” Mac replied as she stood at attention.



“At ease.” AJ ordered, “Tell us what you have.”



“We have confirmation of the accident from the Admiral, the son of the guide and the records. A black man was with the Lieutenant that day but there is nothing to indicate that it was the Admiral.“



“… and nothing to indicate that it wasn’t.” SECNAV countered.



“No sir.” Mac concurred.



“Anything else?” AJ asked.



“Witnesses sir. There are none. The guides are dead. No one we have contacted remembers much of that day … it was thirty years ago. There is nothing but the word of a former coma patient verses that of the Admiral.”



“I take it that you interviewed her?” SECNAV asked.



“Yes sir. In the presence of her lawyer one Jared Nelson.” She replied.



“Commander! Nothing to say?” SECNAV pounced.



“The Colonel said it all sir.” Harm replied.



“I want an Article 32.” SENAV announced.



“Sir?” AJ’s shock was mirrored on the faces of his junior officers.



“Start with conduct unbecoming, then go from there.”



AJ challenged the order “Go where sir!”



SECNAV swelled to twice his size “To an Article 32, care to join him Admiral?”



AJ would not be intimidated. “Sir this is not right.”



“AJ, you have your marching orders I have mine.” Nelson replied.



AJ sighed he’d heard those words before and he hadn’t liked it then either. “Aye sir.”



Mac’s eyes bugged, but she said nothing.



=================================



2310 LOCAL

THE CENTER

BLUE COVE, DELAWARE



Parker looked up as his son Lyle walked in… he looked grim.



“We are not getting the results that we wanted.” Lyle informed his father.



“What!” Parker roared. “They found something?”



“Nada. They are going on a fishing trip with an Article 32 hearing.”



“Pull him out. On his way here let him stop off at Leavenworth to visit Palmer.” The older man instructed.



================================



1416 LOCAL

JAG HQ



“You sent for us sir?” Mac asked as she stepped in.



“Have a seat.” He waited for herself and Harm to get comfortable. “At 1200 today Admiral Morris died in what DC police are ruling as a suicide.” He announced.



“Sir!” Harm was shocked. Mac was speechless.



“Apparently he switched the gas on and somehow a spark set of an explosion. He has been identified by his dental records.” The phone rang.



While the Admiral took the call Harm and Mac spoke softly to each other. They returned their focus to him when the call was over.



“That was Leavenworth. Clarke Palmer is dead. Choked on a hotdog.”



Harm got suspicious. “The Admiral and now Palmer?”



“Easy Commander. Coincidence… that’s all.”



=================================



2223 LOCAL

THE CENTER

BLUE COVE, DELAWARE



Parker grinned as a distinguished African American man walked into his office. “Heard about Palmer. So sad… but such is life. Anyway we have other pressing matters. The Triumvirate still wants that matter resolved.”



“I’m to old for that.” The man informed him.



Parked closed his eyes for a second. “Have no fear… my people are on the case. We haven’t spoken for a long time. How are you?”



“I will miss JAG.” Former Admiral Morris informed him.



THE END