Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The Pretender characters portrayed belong to NBC and TNT Television. No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental.

Author’s Note: This is a response to Mickey's Letter Challenge. It’s ok to Archive I promise.

Feedback: Would make my day!

Story Written March 12, 2002



Parker and Jared were seated in front of the fireplace. She forgot what they had been talking about. Suddenly their eyes locked. She swayed slightly as her heartbeat increased dramatically and she automatically licked her lips. Jared in turn was locked into the beauty of the woman before him. He had suddenly stopped speaking and stared at her. He saw her lick her lips. As if to the beat of a drum they slowly leaned forward. Jared laid his hand on her stomach and breathed her name. “Angel”


Angel Parker, hunter of Jared Pretender sat bolt upright in her bed. She grabbed the clock on the nightstand. It read 2:47. She shuddered. It had been a dream… only a dream.

Parker felt a stab of familiar pain. THAT was no dream! Her ulcer was acting up again and this was no mere discomfort this was major.

She reached for her phone and dialed 9-1-1.


Jared was sitting in front of the fireplace of Ociee. He was trying in vain to alternately find his mother and to convince Parker that there was more to life than the chase. Suddenly his eyes caught hers. Every now and then he considered her as a beautiful woman and not as a determined huntress. Now was just such a time. He leaned in to kiss her as she in turn moved to meet him.


Jared sat up in the bed. Something was not right he focused. With no warning he sprang from the bed dressed and headed out the door.

With ease Jared infiltrated the Mackenzie Medical Clinic. It had been so easy to track her that he suspected a trap. He stood outside her door still suspicious and paused. He finally took a deep breath and pushed the door.

Angel Parker had been hurried to the Medical Clinic by the ambulance that had rushed to her house in response to her 9-1-1 call and had been admitted despite her protests. Now she lay sleeping.

Jared checked her chart as she slept oblivious to his presence. He sighed. She was so beautiful and lying there she looked so vulnerable. Despite himself and the chase that they engaged in his heart went out to her. The doctor in him knew that she needed rest but the man in him called.

He sat and wrote a letter.

Two hours after he had placed the letter where she would see it, Jared still sat watching the woman who as children had given him his first kiss. Parker was his first love but he doubted she’d ever be his.

Suddenly the door swung open and Lyle walked in. Male to Parker’s female; Lyle was even more deadly than his sister. He stared at Jared.

“If I’d known you cared we’d have caught you sooner.” Lyle said.

Jared said nothing. He’d stayed too long.

Angel Parker – Miss Parker to all had slept through the entire scenario. Three years of chasing and when the quarry was caught she had slept through it. She awoke unaware of the momentous event that had unfolded in her room.

She felt much better. As she sat up she spied an envelope, with the handwriting she recognized as being that of Jared’s. She reached for the letter and opened it.


Dear Parker,

Why do we continue to play this game day after day? I am tired of it, despite what you think mind games are not my style. I don't care whose wrong or right anymore. I just want us to be able to have a ‘normal’ conversation some time. I don't want the rude remarks, or the tantalizing clues; I just want to be able to talk to you like we used to. Do you remember that? We used to talk all the time. You were the only one who could ever understand me.

When did we become enemies? Can you not stand me because you blame me for the leaving the Centre? I had to leave, the Centre is evil. That's what I've been trying to tell you all along. I am sorry. I thought that maybe, just maybe, if you could forgive me, it could be like it used to be between us. Before whatever happened to us happened. I don't even remember exactly what happened. You'd think that I would remember something like that, but I guess that it is just another one of the precious memories that are forever lost thanks to the Centre.

I miss you Parker, more than you could ever know. I'm not asking you to be my best friend again. I saw something in your eyes when we kissed, well almost kissed anyway. I saw a glimpse of the old you in front of the fire at Ociee's and I realized just how much I missed it. I know you said I run you chase, but from the tone in your voice I can tell you didn't mean that with all your heart. I'm just asking you to think about us. Just…think about it. Think about the way we used to be and the way we are now. Then when and if you make a decision about how you really want things to be between us, to just let me know. Right now, just think about it. That's all I am asking. Know however, that I wont give up until I get an answer. Even if I get an answer and I don't like it, I still probably wont give up. I haven't yet. You know me and you know where to find me. I’ll be waiting.

Always,
J.


As if to match her ulcer her emotions now began to tumble. As she read the letter for a third time Brootes her computer wizard and Sydney who was Jared’s **caretaker** and her partners in the pursuit of Jared walked in the door. She hid the letter.

She gave her usual greeting “What!”

“Nice to see you in good health.” Sydney replied.

She snorted and picked on the forever-nervous Brootes. “Don’t you have somewhere to be?!”

As usual Sydney came to the younger man’s defense. “There is nothing to do.”

“Since when does my being in hospital stop you from searching for Jared!”

“You mean you don’t know?” Brootes quipped. He turned to Sydney “She doesn’t know.”

She grimaced “KNOW WHAT!”

“Jared’s been caught.” Sydney replied calmly.

“Mr. Lyle caught him!” Brootes volunteered.

Parker glared at the two. “Details Syd – not twenty questions – DETAILS!”

He sighed. He’d known Parker all her life and was used to her abrupt ways but there were time he wished… what was the use. He reported, “Apparently Lyle came in to check on you last night…”

She stopped him. “My BROTHER came to check on me?”

“Apparently so.” Sydney confirmed. “He walked in and there was Jared.”

“With no where to run.” Brootes added. “It’s over. Three years of chasing Jared is over.”

Her mind was in turmoil. The two men she least expected to see had come to her room. WHY? She removed the bed sheet and swung her long legs off the bed.

“What are you doing Parker?” Sydney demanded.

“Getting the hell out of here.” She snarled and neither man contradicted her.

Jared heard the wheezing of the emphysema victim Raines. The man shuffled up to stare at the Center’s prized possession. “Welcome back.” He oozed.

“You look awful.” Jared replied.

“That’s because he is.” A female voice floated in. “Shoo!” Parker emerged and dismissed the caretaker.

The man walked away and she stood and surveyed Jared.

“Good to see you are ok.” Jared ventured.

“The chase is over.” She pronounced.

“Now you can be free of this place.” He offered.

“Is that it?” She began to pace. Jared’s eye’s followed her every move through the bars of his cell. “My freedom for yours?”

“There can be no price on freedom.” He informed her.

She snorted. “How remiss of me.” She gave him her vampire smile “Welcome back.”

“Thank you… but I only wanted to assure myself that you were ok. Now that I have I won’t be staying long.” He replied.

The smile burst out into a chuckle. “Funny” she shook her finger at him. “Funny.” She walked away and he could still hear her as she walked down the hall she chuckled “Funny.”

Parker went home and felt lost. After three years of chasing Jared what was there to do? It really had come down to he run and she chase. She crossed to the bar and poured herself a drink. The glass fell to the floor and smashed spilling the drink as she heard Jared say, “With that ulcer you really shouldn’t drink that.”

She whirled round and collided with him. He caught her. Their eyes locked. This time Jared completed the move. He bent his head and gently kissed her. He really didn’t know if she’d kiss or kill him.

She kissed him.

As quickly as it started it was over. He released her. “Remember…” He said “There can be no price on freedom.” And with that he left.

“Seems I still have a job.” She said to herself.

THE END


For updates on my new FF join: jagrslc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

FF Archived at: http://www.geocities.com/jagrslc