Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The Pretender characters portrayed belong to NBC and TNT Television. No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental. By the way now knows who wrote Desiderata.

Author’s Note: This is a response to Mickey's Picture Challenge. It’s ok to Archive I promise.

Feedback: Would make my day!

Story Written March 14, 2002




”What!” Miss Parker snapped at the tap on her office door. As the person assigned to capture the Center’s most prized possession a pretender called Jared; Angle Parker’s frustration grew with each day that went by without his apprehension. With Jared being on the loose for over three years, her patience had not only grown thin but had altogether disappeared.

Brootes the Center’s tech wizard and resident mouse peeped in. “A package arrived for you.” He stuttered. “Special Delivery.”

She glared at him. “Don’t just blubber. Give it to me!”

He ventured into the den of the lioness, dropped the package as though it had burned him and beat a hasty retreat.

Chuckling to herself, she really enjoyed tormenting Brootes, she opened the package. A photo fell out. It was one of herself and Jared taken not so long ago. She’d had the chance to catch him but hadn’t. If her father knew he’d string her up himself. If Lyle knew he’d blackmail her.

She studied the photo and admitted to herself but would deny to all that they made a good couple. In fact they made more than that….

[FLASHBACK: One Month earlier.]

Never bothering to knock Parker waltzed into Sydney’s office; she looked grimmer than her usual self.

“Parker? You all right?” He asked.

She began to pace. “I have been ordered to take a holiday!” she was NOT happy.

“Well with an active ulcer…”

She cut across him, “Don’t give me that! They are trying to replace me.”

“You are being paranoid.” He tried to sooth her. “By the way Parker… you do need a rest. You have been on the go for the past three and a half years. A body can only take so much.”

“E tu Brute?” She stopped pacing long enough to accuse him.

He was used to her after all these years. “Parker. Take the holiday.”

She grumble but She did.

She ended up in the Caribbean on a tiny island called Saint Lucia in a smaller town of Soufriere, named such by the original French Colonist for the sulphur found there. Original were the French. Once sulphur was found they named the area Soufriere.

She checked into the cozy Ladera Resort. The brochure claimed that it was located on the western side of the island of Saint Lucia, nestled at 1,100 feet up on a sloping hillside overlooking the Piton Mountains and the cobalt vastness of the Caribbean Sea.

After a six-hour flight she was still too grumpy to notice anything.

On the second day of her two-week exile, however her mood changed. She had reluctantly admitted that the place was indeed relaxing and was lounging in a hammock soaking in the sun when a shadow cast over her. She looked up and came face to face with Jared.

“Do I have a homing beacon on me that I don’t know about?” she growled.

He grinned. “Who needs it when you don’t bother to hide your trail. Does daddy know you are playing hookey?”

“Who do you think sent me?”

“Ah.”

Not happy with the disadvantage of Jared towering over her she climbed out of the hammock. “That’s all you can come up with? AH?”

“I find it interesting that your father has taken you off my case.” He elaborated.

“At least we agree on that. Sydney tried to convince me that it was for my health.” She replied and turned to walk to her room. He followed. “Since I am the one who usually chases while you run… what brings you here?”

"The usual.” He mused.

“The usual.” She echoed.

“Don’t bother looking for your gun.” He held it up, as indeed she was about to reach for the drawer.

She muttered an expletive softly and sat on the bed.

“Why Parker!” Jared feigned shock.

“Oh give me a break!” She snapped. “Now that you have the gun what happens?”

“Oh I thought that we could have a fun holiday together. You know… no Center, no chase, no mind games. Just you and me.” He grinned at her.

She stared at him dumbstruck; but only for a moment. “You are joking. Right?”

His grin slipped. “No”

“My job is to chase and catch you. Now why would I want to spend my holiday with you?” She demanded.

He began to count off. “You will not relax thinking that Lyle may catch me with your back turned. This way you know exactly where I am. Thus allowing you to relax as instructed.” He paused. “How does one relax when instructed?”

She considered his argument then his question. “I suppose you are right. I know of only one tried and true stress buster that works for me. Endorsed by the medical fraternity at that.” She gave him a smile.

He was instantly wary. “Don’t smile at me Miss Parker.”

She grimaced. “Why?”

“I suddenly feel like a fly in your web.” He explained.

“No one asked you to follow me. Why did you follow me… REALLY”

He began to fidget.

“Come over here.” She instructed. He didn’t know what to do with the gun. “Take out the bullets and throw them out the window.” She suggested.

“So that you can refill with spares. I’m a pretender that means I’m not stupid.” He snapped.

She signed. “Jared. You came here. No one asked you to. I have been ordered to relax … I didn’t ask for that.” She snapped. “Now that we are both here I intend to make the best of it. Take my lemons and make lemonade as it were.”

“What did you have in mind?”

“Continuation.” She replied. He was confused. “Continuation of the kiss I gave you as kids, continuation of the kiss we almost had in Scotland and continuation of this dance we call the capture of Jared. Now come here!”

He gulped. She paused.

“Jared are you a virgin?” she tried to hide her horror.

“No!” He assured her quickly. “For one of my pretends I had to be a gigolo.”

“This should be interesting.” She said, “So what is your problem? I grow a hump since we met last?”

He remained silent. She continued to stare at him. Then “Jared.” She whispered “are you in love with me?”

He blushed the full range of rainbow colors. “Don’t laugh at me Parker.” He begged.

She shook her head. Her instinct had been to laugh at him and normally she would have, but being here on the island she didn’t have the heart. **Heart?** she thought. **Me with a heart?** She gave him a grin. “I won’t.” she giggled.

“Parker!” He wailed.

“I’m sorry but this is unexpected.” She fought to control herself.

He eventually smiled, “A new twist on the Helsinki syndrome.”

She managed to sober up. “Indeed.” She held out a hand to him. “I’ll make you a deal. For the next two weeks I‘ll leave Miss Parker at the Center and only Angel will be here, if you leave the Pretender as well. We’ll be just two people having fun.”

“Do I know you?” He asked.

“I deserved that. Look at it as orders that I’ve got to follow.” She offered.

“How do I know I can trust you.” He asked.

“That you will have to answer for yourself… but remember who arrived here unannounced.” She stood to walk past him.

She never made it to the door.

For the next two weeks Parker kept her word and a new woman emerged. One directly opposed to the Parker that hunted him. It was as if she had shed a skin. He in turn eventually relaxed and enjoyed the time together. They hiked, swam, took pictures and made love. It was more a fantasy than holiday.

Two days before she was due to return to the real world she awoke in an empty bed.

“Jared?” she called.

There was no reply. Somehow she knew that he had gone. Left. Not just stepped out of the room. The chase would resume and he needed a head start. She saw the note stuck to the bathroom mirror. It confirmed her instinct.

She spent the last two days holed up in the room and emerged on the final day in battle gear ready to run her prey down. Miss Parker took a taxi to the airport and left Angel on the island.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

She returned to the present and continued to stare at the photo, she turned it over to look at the back. Written in Jared’s familiar handwriting was a quote she recognized from Desiderata. **Cute** she thought.

… whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful.

The opening of the double doors to her office interrupted her wool gathering. She looked up and watched as her brother Lyle walked towards her.

As he moved across the room she automatically placed the photo into her inner jacket pocket. She noted that the photo was now positioned near her heart. **You are getting soft Parker** she thought.

“Hey sis.” Lyle greeted her.

She waited.

Receiving no response he continued, “Father wants to see us.”

She rose from her desk and made her way towards the doors. As she passed him she flashed her vampire smile and said “Then let’s not keep him waiting.”

THE END


Info on the Ladera resort is available at http://www.ladera-resort.com/


For updates on my new FF join: jagrslc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

FF Archived at: http://www.geocities.com/jagrslc