Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Title: Challenges
Author: Rising Sun
For feedback e-mail me at: jagrslc@yahoo.com
For updates on my new FF join: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jagrslc
The FF is archived at: http://www.geocities.com/jagrslc
Join the Fan Fiction Challenge at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffchallange/

Summary: Jarod must play a game of poker to gain freedom.
Classification: Pretender Story
Disclaimer: I don’t own any Pretender Characters. No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental.

Feedback: Send it.
Permission to archive: Permission granted.
Story written – August 1, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------


LAS VAGAS



Parker was tied to a chair and so had the luxury of contemplating her fate. When would she STOP blindly following Jarod and his damned leads?! Now here she was tied like an Easter Turkey with her life in Jarod’s hands.



“Well Jarod?” Wayne asked.



“I’m thinking. This is a most intriguing challenge.” Jarod and this man Wayne were seated at a table. “You say I can play you a game of what’s it called?”



“Poker.”



“Poker and if I win I get Parker and if you win you get her?” he reviewed the rules of the game.



“That’s it.”



Jarod looked directly at Parker “and why do I want to do this?”



“Cause I’ll kill you both if you don’t.”



“Ah yes I remember.” Jarord turned to face Wayne. “So how do you play this game?”



Parker groaned. “You don’t know how to play poker.”



“No.” He was serious “But it can’t be that hard.”



Wayne explained to Jarod the game confident that he would win. There really was no reason to go through the charade he just wanted a distraction and this was as good as any.



He launched into the description. “Poker uses a standard pack of fifty two playing cards. Ace the highest and two the lowest. The number of cards dealt is dependent on what type of game you are playing: five card stud, you are dealt five cards and 7 card stud, you are dealt seven etc.”



“What are we playing?”



“Five card stud. Deuces wild.”



“Wild?” Jarod inquired.



Wayne was patient even if Parker wasn’t. “Wild cards can either be a separate card added like a joker or you may specify a certain card in the standard deck to be wild like deuces, or whatever else.” She snapped.

“I see.” Jarod was all concentration. “Anything else I need know?”



Wayne proceeded to clarify Five of a Kind, Full House, Flush, Straight, Three of a Kind, Two Pair and One Pair. “Ready?” he asked Jarod.



“Ready?” Jarod asked Parker.



Paker gave him her best vampire smile. “Ready.”



“Then let’s play poker.” Jarod said gleefully.



+ + +



“I call.” Wayne said.



Jarod laid down his cards. He had three kings and two deuces.



“Damn!” Wayne cursed “A tie!”



“If there are two full houses can not the tie be broken by the three of a kind?” Jarod asked. “In this case the three of a kind are of equal rank therefore the two of a kind can determine.”



Parker had barely been paying attention until that moment. She focused sharply. “He’s right.”



“And that being the case I win.” Jarod continued.



“Yes but this is my world and I say new game.” Wayne passed the deck to Jarod to shuffle. He would have to win outright.



===============================



TWO HOURS LATER



Wayne had kept to his word and let Parker and Jarod free. He’d lost and still couldn’t figure out how.



Parker dusted herself off and glared at Jarod.



He grinned at her. “You’re welcome.”



“Grrr.” She replied.



He held up her gun. “Looking for this?”



She lunged he dodged. “tut tut tut. That any way to thank your deliverer?” he jeered.



“Give me that!”



“Why?! So you can shoot me?” He countered. “Don’t think so.”



“Now what.” She demanded.



“Now? Now you go back to the Center you love so dearly and I? Well I’ll just be moseying along.”



+ + +



TWO DAYS LATER.



“I’ll see you two thousand and call.” Jarod grinned at his opponent at the World Poker Tournament.



END





The Challenge as presented at the Fan Fiction Challenge at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffchallange/



Your favorite characters in a poker game.

Whatever goes on in such a story is up to you.

-- Andrew Troy Keller