Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

"There's nothing to talk about."

"We lost a child. You may can deal with it by ignoring me but I can't deal with the loss that way." He walked up to her, brushed her cheek lightly.

She pulled away. "Please just leave me alone."

"Parker, I love you and I know you love me. We have to talk about it."

"You aren't going to leave until we talk are you?"

"No." He touched her hand with his.

"Fine." She walked over to the bed and sat down. "Talk."

"Parker, don't push me away like this. We have been through way to much for you to end it like this."

"Jarod, I don't know what else to do."

"Trust your heart."

She laughed. Then she cried. Jarod pulled her into his arms and held her tight. He began to weep as the tears filled his eyes.

"I'm sorry." Parker wiped her tears.

"Don't apologize."

"But Jarod I pushed you away when you needed me just as much as I needed you."

"I'm here now." He glanced down into her baby blues.

She cracked a smile.

"Now that is what I like to see." He grinned at her.

She leaned into him and made small kisses on his neck. "I missed you." She whispered.

His hands cupped her face as his lips quickly found hers.

"Take me."

"Are you sure you are ready for this?" He asked.

She shook her head yes.

Jarod pulled her into his body as they both fought for control of the kiss. Parker removed his shirt and kissed his chest. Then she pushed him down onto the bed. His hands moved up under her night shirt and yanked it over her head. He tossed it onto the floor. It wasn't long until they found their rhythm again.

******

The next morning, Parker wiggled closer to the Pretender. It was the first night in a several weeks that the both of them actually slept.

As the morning the sun crept in, it woke Jarod. Parker was sleeping so peaceful that he hated to wake her. So, he watched her sleep. He took in every little move and noise she made. He reached over and brushed a strain of her hair out of her face. He leaned in to give her a kiss when her eyes popped open.

"Good morning." She said as his lips touched her skin.

"Good morning to you. How did you sleep?"

"Like a baby. And you?"

"I always sleep well when I'm with you." He stroked her hair with his fingertips.

"I wish we could stay like this forever." She rested her head on her hands.

"Me too." He kissed her bare shoulder. "Do you have to go in today?"

"No. I took some time off. Well, it is more like Sydney told me to take some time off."

"That is Sydney, always worried and trying to help."

******

A couple of days later

Parker walked into her office. As she sat her leather case down at her chair the older man walked in.

"I'm glad to see you back."

"Sydney." She smiled. "I can't really say the same." She took her seat.

"How are things with....?"

"Fine."

"So you talked?" He pulled out the chair in front of her desk and sat down.

"Yes. I hope you are feeling better."

"Me? Why would I be feeling better? This happen to you."

"You are the shrink." She rose from the chair. "Now if you will excuse me I have work to do."

"Of course." Sydney stood from the chair and saw himself out.

The doors didn't even shut good when a man slipped in.

"Miss Parker."

"What?" She looked up.

"Mr. Raines has requested to see you." The man stood before her.

"John, right?"

"Yes ma'am."

"I don't care what Mr. Raines wants...."

"But...but..."

"John, you can go tell Mr. Raines...."

"Tell me what?" He stood in the doorway of her office.

"To go to hell." She stood at her desk with her arms crossed at her chest.

He walked in with his tank rolling closely behind him. "You don't even know what I want." He wheezed lightly.

"I could care less what you want."

John stepped aside. He figured it would be better to stay out of the middle.

Parker and Raines exchanged a few more words when John grabbed Parker from behind.

"Let go of me!" She screamed.

John pulled out a white cloth and held it over Miss Parker's mouth. She struggled for a while until her body went limp. John put her over his shoulder and followed Raines out.

******

Sydney's office

"This is Sydney." He spoke into the phone.

"Sydney, have you seen Miss Parker today?"

"Yes. Why? I thought things were...."

"Sydney, listen to me. She is not answering her phone. We had plans and I can't reach her."

"Have you called her cell?"

"I have called her house, her cell, and her office. She is not answering. I think something has happened to her. Can you check her office for me?"

"Sure. What's your...?"

"I'll call back in fifteen minutes." The connection was dead. Jarod paced the floor. "I knew she shouldn't have gone back yet. It is too soon." He mumbled as he paced faster.

"You have a video e-mail." Jarod turned quickly to see a picture of Miss Parker bound to a chair popping up on the screen of his laptop. Then he saw Raines step into the screen. "Jarod if you ever want to see her again then I suggest you come home."

Jarod grabbed his jacket and phone as he headed out the door.

******

Jarod slowly entered the room at the end of the hall in SL-26. In the murky light he could see Miss Parker seated in a chair with her hands cuffed in front of her. Raines stood to one side of her and a single sweeper took a position near the door.

"Let her go Raines." Jarod said.

"Not until we ... finish what we're here for." Raines wheezed.

"I came as you asked, me in exchange for Miss Parker. Now keep your end of the bargain." Jarod moved slowly away from the sweeper.

"Not until I'm satisfied you .... won't be escaping ... after I free her." Raines pointed to pair of hand cuffs. The sweeper approached Jarod and cuffed his hands around a pipe protruding from the wall.

"What makes you think these will keep me?" Jarod tugged at the cuffs. "I escaped before." It all seemed to easy and Jarod knew Raines better.

"Because this time ... I have a insurance policy." Raines pulled Miss Parker to her feet. "Any escape will cost Miss Parker her life." He pulled a gun from his pocket and pointed at her. "Remember Jarod ... I will not hesitate to kill her. Ending her life ... would mean one less obstacle in my path. Some thing I would gladly do."

"No!" Jarod shouted and jerked his hands cuffed around the pipe. "We had a deal Raines!"

A shot pieced the air and Jarod held his breath as he watched Miss Parker sway side to side. Then Raines dropped at her feet. Another shot rang out and this time the sweeper dropped to his knees and fell forward. Lyle slipped through the door dressed in a black leather jacket and matching gloves. He marched over to Raines' body and bent down to examine it. Miss Parker rushed to Jarod's side as the ring of a cell phone broke the silence.

Pulling the phone from his pocket, Lyle flipped it open as he stood up. "What?" He looked in Jarod and Miss Parker's direction, then fished a key out of his pocket and tossed it to them.

"No I don't believe Raines will be needing anything on the Gemmi Project....Where is he ?...How should I know?" Lyle paused and then in a hushed voice. "Let's just say I heard he's taking a extended vacation and leave it at that." He snapped the phone shut and replaced it in his pocket.

By this time both Miss Parker and Jarod were free from their handcuffs.

"Thank you Lyle." Miss Parker said quietly and somewhat amazed.

"Thank you for what?" Lyle replied as he ejected the clip from the gun, removed the bullets and checked the chamber.

"For saving my life!" She replied with shock in her voice.

"I didn't kill Raines to save you." Lyle laughed and slammed the clip back into the gun. "I killed the bastard because he tried to kill me. It had nothing to do with brotherly love. It has everything to do with survival." He handed her the empty gun which she took.

"Oh, and when they check the fingerprints on the gun, they'll find yours." He smiled and turned to leave. "As for me I was never here. Everyone at the Centre knows I'm on vacation." He laughed and walked out the door.

Parker gave Jarod a hug. He wrapped his arm around her as they headed out another way.

"Are you okay?" Jarod asked when they got outside.

She shook her head yes. "What were you thinking showing up like this?" She stood in front of him with her hands on her hips.

"They took our child. I wasn't going to sit back and let them take you too." He pulled her into his arms again.

"And what if something went wrong?"

Jarod saw Sydney and Sam approaching the doors. "Honey, as much as I would love to stay here and have this conversation with you I think we better get going." Jarod opened the car door for her. "Remember the gun and the prints? I don't think Sam and Sydney can keep them from following us." Jarod slammed the door and hurried over to his side of the car and got in. He put the car in gear and they drove off.

The End