Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

He stood in the long corridor, wringing his hands tightly behind his back. There was no way around the slightly sick feeling he felt in his stomach every time they scheduled a rendezvous on SL-25. He was certain that such a reaction was exactly why Raines always chose this location. A moment later, he heard the squeak of rubber wheels moving across the polished floor. He turned and watched as Raines moved toward him, stopping about five feet away.

“Well?”

“Surveillance cites two separate contacts, neither of which were reported to the Centre.”

A smile pulled at Raines’ thin lips. “Then we have both of them in compromised positions. The Triumvirate won’t think twice about eliminating members of the search team who had the opportunity to bring Jarod in, and failed to even attempt it.”

“I told you three years ago to install surveillance cameras in both their houses, but you wouldn’t listen to me. Why now?”

“Let’s just say that the good doctor did something altruistically stupid, creating an opening for me to make a move, and leave it at that.”

Although Lyle wasn’t satisfied with the answer, he knew he’d have another chance to find out exactly what had happened that led Raines to finally make a move on both Miss Parker and Sydney. In the meantime, he would be satisfied that things were finally starting to go his way.

He smiled at Raines. “Which one first?”

“Take her first. It will make him much more pliable.”

Lyle shook his head. “Why not just kill them? It’s not like the Triumvirate will care...”

Raines looked deeply into the man’s eyes. “I’m surprised at you, Mr. Lyle. I would think that you would understand following protocol in this situation.” When Lyle frowned in confusion, Raines continued, “Even though we both know what the Triumvirate’s position on this will be, we must still wait for them to deliver it. Officially. Otherwise Mr. Parker could be difficult upon his return.” He smiled as the delight of it dawned in Lyle’s eyes. “In the meantime, payback’s going to be a bitch.”

Lyle watched as the man turned and retreated down the corridor, the squeaking sound diminishing with him. A smile lit his face as he walked toward the rear elevator. The burden of guilt on the psychiatrist would be a delicious thing to watch, not to mention the delectable treat of exacting revenge on his twin. She would soon regret every barb, insult and vicious move she ever made against him. He had never allowed himself to think about expanding his hobby in the direction of his family, but the idea of it excited him more than he would have thought possible; and thanks to Mr. Raines, she would be his for the tasting.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broots swallowed hard as Sydney tried calling her yet again. The older man was wound up like a drum, and Broots knew there was nothing he could say that would help. He looked at the time and date on his computer screen, and knew that Sydney was probably right: it had been more than 24 hours, Miss Parker would have at least answered her phone by now, called in, or sent someone to tell them where she was and what she was doing.
“Maybe we should go look for her,” Broots offered.

“And where would you suggest we begin looking?” The psychiatrist snapped. Broots looked down in hurt and Sydney felt immediate regret. He placed a gentle hand on the technician’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, Broots, I didn’t mean to take it out on you.”

“I know that, Syd. I’m sorry I can’t think of anything more helpful.”

Sydney squeezed the man’s shoulder before letting go. “Something’s happened to her, Broots. I can feel it.”

The technician looked up at the psychiatrist in confusion. “The Inner Sense?”

“No, Broots. It’s just my intuition, but I know what I know.”

The dread in Sydney’s voice made his colleague’s stomach churn. “There must be something we can do other than just sit here.”

“You’re right, Broots, there is. I want you to log into Miss Parker’s Centre email, and her voicemail, see if anyone asked her to meet him or her somewhere, or if there is anything at all suspicious.”

Sydney headed toward the door, but turned at Broots’ voice. “Where will you be?”

“When you want an uncontaminated drink of water, Broots, it’s always best to go to the source.”

“S-Syd?”

“Yes?”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“We both know that Mr. Raines is involved with her disappearance, why waste time?”

“Then why have me investigate her Centre communications?”

“Because if I am unsuccessful, Broots, then Miss Parker’s survival might depend solely upon you and your investigative skills. And, if that happens, find a way to contact Jarod, he will be able to help you.”

“C-contact Jarod, but I don’t-”

“-Broots, I don’t have time to belabor the point. We both know you have the capability, as do I, so just do what you have to in order to help Miss Parker. And once you have done so, I strongly suggest that all of you disappear. Permanently.

Before Broots could say anything else, Sydney was gone. “Be careful, Sydney...”