Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Title - The Long Journey Home
Author - Nicky
E-mail - NickyM96@yahoo.com
Rating - PG
Category/Keywords - JMPR
Spoilers - Island of the Haunted
Summary - An unplanned event throws unlikely allies together.
Disclaimer - These characters aren't mine. Well, some of them are. But the important ones are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this . . . . Blah, blah, blah. You know the drill.


Chapter 1
* * * * * * * * * * * *


The knock at the door surprises her. It's been a slow week. In this kind of weather, everyone seems to stay inside, people and animals alike. There hasn't been much need for her services. She rises from her warm seat by the fire and goes to open the door, taking a quick peek out the window first. She's still careful, despite the small, trusting community in which she's settled. She knows all too well the dangers of running into the wrong people.

"Gray and Libby Pearson," she says, opening the door. The Pearsons live clear across the village. "What brings you two all the way over here on a night like this?"

The man pushes the door open and gestures down to the blanket covered mass in his arms.

"I found her out by some of my traps," he grunts. "Don't know if she got caught or not. I thought you might could take a look."

"Of course, Gray," she smiles warmly at the man. "Take her into my clinic and I'll get washed up."

She's been settled in this small village for a few years now and has ended up running what could only be described as an emergency veterinary clinic. Most people can handle their minor pet injuries, but she generally ends up taking the severe cases when necessary.

"Okay. Let's see what we've got here," she says after pulling on a pair of gloves. A loud groan from the table startles her. The groan sounds human. She quickly pulls back the blanket and sees a mass of long dark hair. Human hair.

"It's a woman," she gasps, stating a fact more than a question. "My patients aren't normally human, Gray."

"I know that," Gray Pearson says. "But Dr. Pound is two towns over in Clearstill this week. He got stranded there on account of this storm. I figured bringing her here was the next best thing."

The woman groans again and they both look down, realizing he's right. This woman needs medical attention and right now.

"You did the right thing, Gray," she says, smiling reassuringly at the man. "Now, do me a favor and send your wife in to help me. This poor woman looks like she's been out in the snow for hours. I need to get her out of these wet things and into something dry."

"Sure thing," he says quickly, eager to get out of the room. He opens the door and gestures for his wife to come take his place. The women work quickly, removing the blanket from their patient to get to her wet clothes underneath. They don't get past her coat and shoes before she groans again. This time a large puddle forms on the floor underneath the table she's on.

"Where's all this water coming from?" Libby Pearson questions.

"I think I know," the older woman answers with a sigh. "Libby, go to the second drawer of that cabinet over there. Because I have a feeling I'm going to need my birthing kit."

"What?"

"She's pregnant, Libby. And her water just broke."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

His eyes are still wide as she snaps in his face, hoping to get his attention. She's almost amused at the shade of white his skin has turned. She didn't think it was possible except on a corpse.

"And you're . . . sure? I mean, it was only that one time," his voice squeaks. "And we were really, really . . . really drunk."

"No kidding, Brainiac. You think I would have slept with you if I were sober?" she growls, pressing a finger on that spot between her eyes to try to alleviate her growing headache.

"I didn't mean it that way," he sighs when he hears the anger in her voice. "I didn't mean to imply in any way that I regretted what happened between us. I'm just . . . surprised, Miss Parker."

"You don't regret . . . are you kidding me? Jarod, we made a colossally stupid mistake nine weeks ago. And now I'm . . . "

"Pregnant. Having my baby," he smiles. He kneels down in front of her and takes her hands in his own. "That makes me happier than I'm acting right now."

"Happy? Jarod, are you insane? Are you drunk right now? Because from where I'm sitting, this isn't exactly good news," she yells, snatching her hands from his grasp. She pushes him away from her, making him land on the floor.

"Calm down, Miss Parker," he says, reaching for her again. She struggles for a few moments before finally giving in. He sits on the couch next to her and wraps an arm around her shoulder, smiling when she leans into his embrace. But his smile instantly leaves when he realizes she's crying. "Shh. It's okay. Everything is going to be fine."

"How can you be sure?" she sniffs, trying to get control of her tears. But the more she tries to stop them, the more they fall. Where are they coming from anyway, she wonders to herself, not realizing she asked the question out loud.

"Hormones," Jarod chuckles, answering her. "They're going to make you pretty moody. Well, moodier than usual."

"Ha ha. Very funny," she mockingly laughs. But she finds herself laughing for real anyway, not sure what she finds so humorous.

"See what I mean?" he laughs again.

"Great. Now Sydney and Broots are really going to think I'm psychotic. Crying one minute, laughing the next. They're not going to know what to think about me. Assuming I'm still alive, that is," she adds quietly. "Jarod, what's going to happen when the Centre finds out?"

"I don't know," he whispers, his mood now serious. He understands now why she's so worried. "I just don't know. Maybe we need to make sure they don't find out."

"How do we do that?"

"That's a good question, Miss Parker." A very good question indeed. Several alternatives flash through his mind and he tries to SIM the outcome. Soon, her even breathing tells him that she's fallen asleep. He scoops her up into his arms and takes her to her bed, slipping in next to her. Maybe things will look different in the morning, he thinks with a sigh before he joins her in slumber.



Chapter 2
* * * * * * * * * * * *


The women rush around the room, doing their best to get everything sanitized. But a quick check tells them that their time has run out. The baby is coming quickly.

"I can see the head, Miss Maggie," Libby tells the older woman.

"You're right," she sighs. "We have to deliver this baby right now. go get your husband, Libby. We're going to need him to support her during the delivery."

Maggie takes a cool cloth to wipe the woman's forehead, sweeping the tangled mass of hair from her face. She barely manages to suppress a shocked gasp as the woman's features become to clear to her for the first time. She blinks her eyes a few times to be sure of what she's seeing, but each time she opens her eyes it's the same face staring back at her. The face of a ghost.

"It can't be," she whispers. "You're . . . you're dead. Catherine is dead."

"I'm not . . . my mother," she hears the woman on the table grunt before another contraction overtakes her.

With another shocked gasp, she realizes that it's not the ghost of her old friend on the table, but her daughter. A daughter who has been taught to be the enemy rather than an ally. But for some reason, she's here for help. And despite her instincts, Maggie finds herself unable to turn the young woman away. She takes her hand and shows her how to breath through the contraction.

"Miss Parker, do you know who I am?" she asks when the contraction is over.

"Jarod's mom," Miss Parker smiles, a look of serenity coming over her face. Maggie is surprised to see another emotion mixed in - love. Maybe the woman is less of an enemy than she originally thought. "Jarod said you could help."

"You know where my son is?" she asks, tears springing to her eyes at the mention of his name. Her tears soon turn to terror when the look on Miss Parker's face turns from serene to one of agony.

"He . . . we got separated," Miss Parker cries. "And now, they've got him."

"They?"

"The Centre."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod types in another string of commands into the computer, hoping this time to unlock the password. The key to their plan's success is hidden in this file. He just has to get to it.

"Jarod," she moans groggily as she wakes up. "It's the middle of the night. What are you doing up?"

"Trying to get into this file," he tells her, snapping the laptop shut and walking over to the bed. He places his hand on her ever growing abdomen and smiles at the light fluttering there. "We're running out of time. You won't be able to hide that lump for much longer."

"That lump? Is that how you refer to your child these days?" she teases him, placing her hand on top of his. "It is getting big, isn't it?"

"Big, but beautiful." He bends over and places a kiss right over her belly button. "I love seeing you like this, but we don't exactly want to advertise your pregnancy. So in that respect, it's unfortunate that it's becoming so noticeable. Not just your stomach, but your face is filling out as well. And you're starting to get this adorable little waddle when you walk," he chuckles.

"I do not waddle," she objects.

"You do. And it's cute," he says, cutting off any further comments from her with a kiss. A kiss that leaves her breathless.

"Marry me," she says dreamily, still swooning from the kiss.

"Are you serious?" he asks.

"Actually, I think I am," she says after a moment to think about it. "So will you? Marry me, that is?"

"Parker, I . . . I'm shocked. I don't know what to say," he stutters.

"So is that a no?" she asks.

"No," he says quickly.

"No it's not a no or no you won't marry me?"

"Hold on a second," he says with a laugh, the confusion evident in his eyes. He pulls his bag out from under the bed and reaches inside, pulling out a small box and sitting it on top of her stomach. "Open it."

She eyes him warily before complying with his wishes.

"Jarod," she squeals. "It's gorgeous. Is this what I think it is?"

"It is," he smiles, kneeling down on the floor next to her. "I've had that for a while now. I got it three months ago when you told me you were pregnant. Ever since I met you, I've known we were meant to be together. I fell in love with you the day you kissed me. And I've waited all these years for you to feel the same way. I love you, Miss Parker. And I'd be honored to be your husband. Will you marry me?"

"I may not show it. Or say it. But I love you too. I didn't realize how much until that one drunken night five months ago. I have a confession to make, though," she says with a blush. "I really wasn't all that drunk. I just needed an excuse to let my guard down around you. I got so tired of keeping my feelings for you at bay. That night when we were in Scotland, I came so close. If Ocee hadn't stopped us . . . well let's just say I don't think you would have left with your virtue intact."

"Yeah, well don't worry. There wasn't much left to my virtue anyway," he laughs.

"Mine either," she says, laughing with him for a moment before turning serious. "All those men I wasted my time with. Looking for something that was right under my nose the whole time. I fell in love with you all those years ago, too, Jarod. I've loved you ever since. And I've unfortunately fought it ever since. But I can't fight it anymore. I won't fight it."

She pulls him into a kiss that rivals the one he gave her earlier, this one leaving them both breathless.

"Is that a yes?" he asks.

"Jarod, I'm the one who asked you to marry me," she giggles. "But to be clear, yes. Yes I will marry you. You're stuck with me forever now, Jarod."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," he smiles, kissing her sweetly first on the lips and then on the belly. "I'll always be with you."

The sweet promise echoes in their minds as they drift back to sleep. Love finally brought them together. And it's going to take love to keep them that way.


Chapter 3
* * * * * * * * * * * *


She lets herself in the back door with her key. For the past three months, she's been skulking around town, trying to avoid being seen by anyone related to the Centre. Before, her suit jackets covered up the weight she was gaining from the pregnancy. But now, her 'condition' is unmistakable. With just a few weeks before her due date, her distended abdomen can no longer be hidden. The official story she gave them was that she broke both her legs in a skiing accident and now needs to work from home. She attends and conferences or meeting via video. So far, it's all worked out.

"Jarod. I'm home," she calls out to the quiet house. She wonders briefly where he can be. When she left for the doctor earlier that morning, he said he'd be there when she got back. "Jarod, where are . . ."

She stops midstep when she reaches the living room. Looking around, she finds herself surrounded by candles and roses. And a heavenly smell makes her mouth water.

"What's all this?" she asks in wide eyed wonder.

"Just a little something to show you how much I love you," Jarod says, wrapping his arms around her and dropping a quick kiss on her upturned lips.

"A little something? Jarod, there must be two dozen roses here."

"Three dozen. One for each month we've been married," he smiles. "I thought we'd celebrate now. It might be awhile before we can celebrate again."

"What do you mean?"

"You're going to have that baby soon," he explains. "We need to leave here before it's too late."

"And go where?" she wants to know.

"That's the part I've been working on these past few months. I finally tracked down the information in the Centre files regarding my mother. And based on that, I know where to find her," he excitedly tells her as he hands her a piece of paper with his mother's location.

"Are you sure?"

"I had a friend check it out," he smiles. "She's there. She's really there, Parker. I'm finally going to see her. *We're* going to see her. We can hide with her for as long as we need to."

"Jarod, this is amazing," she says, pulling him into a hug. "I know what this means to you. You've been waiting your whole life for this."

"I know," he sighs. "But maybe it took me so long to finally find her for a reason. Because maybe this is a trip I wasn't meant to take alone. I have you with me now. And our child. You two are what's important to me now. You're my family now. Seeing my mom is just the icing on the cake."

"You never cease to amaze me, you know that?" she asks him. "It scares me how much you love me."

"Why?"

"Because I love you just as much. And it terrifies me to think of ever being without you."

"That won't happen," he says with a smile, kissing away the tears now falling on her cheeks. "I'll always be with you, Parker. And if I'm not, nothing will stop me from getting to you."

He leans over to kiss her again when a sound from outside stops him.

"What is it?" she asks, becoming slightly annoyed when she shushes her. She's about to protest when she hears the sound as well. Car doors slamming shut. And it may be her imagination, but she swears she can even hear the sounds of guns being cocked.

Jarod moves quickly to the window to peek outside, cursing under his breath when he sees who's out there.

"Lyle. And he has sweepers with him. This isn't a social call," he tells her, watching the blood drain from her face.

"What do we do?" she asks. She can see him thinking of several options and can tell when he finds a solution. But based on the look on his face, it's a solution she's not going to like.

"You go. Find my mother," he says, pushing her towards the steps to the basement for some reason unknown to her. When her eyes question him, he explains. "There's a hidden door down there. It opens up about half a mile away by the lake. How do you think I came into your house unnoticed for all those years?" he tries to joke.

"Come with me," she begs.

"I can't," he practically whispers. "I have to cover up this door as soon as you leave to make sure Lyle doesn't find out about it. It'll give you more time to get away."

"Jarod, please," she tries again.

"I love you," he says, kissing her quickly before closing the door on her. He manages to push a bookcase to block the door just as the front door is kicked open.

"Well, well, well. Look at what we have here," Lyle smirks, an evil gleam shining in his eyes. "Where's my sister, Jarod?"

"She isn't here," he tells him. "It's just me."

"Somehow, I don't believe that. My men will stay here and search the place from top to bottom. You, Jarod, are coming with me. It's time for you to go home."

"That place is not my home," Jarod growls as two sweepers grab and cuff him. "You won't be able to keep me there."

"He's giving me a headache. Shut him up," Lyle orders before turning to walk out the door.

Jarod feels a prick in the back of his neck and then all is dark.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

It's been over an hour, Maggie thinks to herself as she looks up at the clock. Over an hour since Miss Parker's been pushing. She isn't a real doctor, but even she knows that can't be good. For Miss Parker or the baby.

"How are you doing up there?" she asks the laboring woman, not sure of what else she can do.

"Why won't this kid come out?" she whimpers, trying to pant to stay on top of the pain. "I'm exhausted. I can't push anymore."

"Don't you give up on me now, Miss Parker," Maggie snaps at her. "Don't turn my son into a liar. He's trusting me to help you. Now, let me help you."

"I have to push again," Miss Parker groans at yet another contraction.

"Not this time. Just rest and get your strength back," Maggie orders, recognizing the other woman's exhaustion. "You can push on the next one."

"It's no use," Miss Parker cries as her pants turn into uncontrollable sobs. "I'm so tired. I can't do this. I need Jarod."

"I know you do, Sweetie," Maggie tells her as her suspicions are confirmed. She can see now that Miss Parker has finally realized that her destiny was not to capture Jarod, but to love him. "He would be here if he could. And if I know my son, he's going to do everything in his power to get here as soon as he can. I'm sure he's pretty anxious to meet this little one. I'm sure you both are."

Miss Parker can only nod as another contraction hits.

"Okay, we're going with this one. Push, Miss Parker," Maggie coaches. "That's it. The head's out. Stop pushing now."

Maggie checks for the umbilical cord to be sure it's not around the baby's neck. Seeing no problems, she signals for Libby to bring the towel over for the baby as soon as it's born.

"You're doing great, Miss Parker. This baby is almost out. Give me one more good push."

Miss Parker screams as one shoulder emerges followed by the other. Quicker than anyone can blink, the rest of the baby slips out into Maggie's waiting hands.

"It's a girl," she cries, her tears starting to obscure her view. "A beautiful little girl." She places the baby on Miss Parker's chest and watches the younger woman give the child a thorough investigation, checking for all ten fingers and toes.

"She is beautiful," Miss Parker gushes, pressing a gentle kiss on the tiny bundle. Maggie helps her move the baby to her breast to begin nursing and she winces when the baby latches on.

"Just like her father, huh?" Maggie asks, laughing as the younger woman blushes. "Don't go getting bashful on me. That baby didn't get in there by herself."

"No, she didn't," Miss Parker chuckles, careful not to jostle the baby. She looks down and watches as the baby nurses, amazed at the tiny person now in her arms. "I can't believe how much I love her already. I can't wait for . . . "

"For Jarod to meet her," Maggie finishes for her when she notices the woman's tears. "He'll come. I know he will."

"But what if he can't? I left him with Lyle. I left him there and just ran and ran until I ended up here. But what if he can't get away like I did? What if my daughter has to grow up without her father the same way he had to grow up without you? It'll be my fault. I shouldn't have left him."

"The only thing you're responsible for is this baby's freedom. If you hadn't left, then you, Jarod, and this baby would all be locked away at the Centre. You know that Jarod wouldn't want his child growing up that way. You did what you had to do. And now, we just have to pray and believe that Jarod will be able to handle the rest," Maggie sighs. She stands and presses a kiss on Miss Parker's forehead before walking towards the door. "I'll give you two some privacy. When you're ready, I'll help you get washed up and moved to the bedroom where you'll be more comfortable."

"Thank you," Miss Parker says quietly. "Thank you for everything."

Maggie nods and walks out the door, closing it gently behind her. She finally lets out the breath she's been holding since this whole thing began. She tried to be positive for Miss Parker, but the years without her own son have taken their toll.

She told Miss Parker to believe, but she stopped doing that long ago. Can she dare grab onto hope again? Hope that she'll see her son? She thinks back to the look she saw on Miss Parker's face. A look so filled with love for Jarod. Maybe, just maybe, that love will bring him back.


Chapter 4
* * * * * * * * * * * *


Miss Parker dreams. She dreams she's flying. Finally knowing what real freedom feels like. Above the clouds she soars, feeling the wind blow through her hair. Feeling tiny raindrops on her cheek like light kisses. Jarod kisses.

"Mmmm. Jarod," she mutters in her sleep, a smile gracing her lips.

"Wake up," she hears, wondering how she can be waking up and still feel the raindrop kisses from her dream. She pries an eye open and sees the outline of a figure standing over her in the darkness.

"Jarod?" she questions, praying that she isn't dreaming.

"You're not dreaming," he says, answering a question she didn't even realize she asked aloud. "I'm really here."

She sits up, fully awake now and reaches for the lamp, turning it on to cut through the darkness.

"You're really here," she whispers, tears springing to her eyes. She gasps when she sees the cuts around his wrists and the bruises on his face. "What happened?"

"Getting away was a little harder than I anticipated," he groans as he grabs onto his chest. She assumes there's some rib damage as well. "How about you?"

"I'm fine," she smiles. "We're fine." She looks across the room to the bassinet his mother borrowed from a neighbor. His eyes follow where she's looking and he gasps at the sight he sees.

"The baby?"

Miss Parker just smiles and gets out of the bed, gingerly walking over to where the baby is sleeping. She reaches in and pulls out the tiny bundle, gently carrying her back to the bed where Jarod still sits, apparently too stunned to move.

"Jarod, I want to introduce you to somebody. This is your daughter," she says as she places the sleeping infant in his arms. "I had her two days ago."

"A little girl?" he asks, smiling first at Miss Parker, then finally looking down at the baby. "She's gorgeous."

"She is. But she needs a name. Your mother and I are tired of calling her Baby," Miss Parker giggles.

"My mother. She's here?"

"Right behind you, Son." Jarod spins around to see a woman standing in the doorway tightening her robe.

"Mom?" He feels Miss Parker take the baby from his arms as he makes an attempt to stand up. Holding on to his tender ribs, he finally makes it to his feet and shuffles over to where his mother is. "It's really you."

"I saw the light come on and came in to check on Miss Parker and the baby. Imagine my surprise to see you too, Jarod," the woman says as the tears flow down her face. "I knew you'd make it."

"I can't believe we're all really here," he sobs, wrapping his arms tightly around his mother despite the pain to his own body.

"We are," she says, pushing him gently away and leading him back to the bed. "And we're going to be here for a long time. But right now, you need to rest and get better. And get to know that precious baby. We'll have all the time in the world." She presses a kiss to his forehead and gives Miss Parker a smile before reluctantly leaving the room.

"This is all so . . . " he starts.

"I know," Miss Parker smiles at seeing him so flustered. "I've had the past few days to get used to it and I still haven't."

"We're free," he grins in amazement. "Really and truly free."

"And we're back together," she says as a tear drifts down her cheek. "I was so afraid you wouldn't make it. But you're here."

"Just like I promised. I told you. We'll be together always." He leans over and suppresses a groan of pain as he kisses her. "Just the three of us. Me, you, and Baby."

"I told you she needs a name," Miss Parker laughs. "I was waiting for you to get here. You have anything in mind?"

"I do, actually. In memory of another little girl who meant so much to us both," he smiles sadly.

"Faith?" she asks. He just nods. "I like that. Faith is a good name for her."

He tries to hold in a yawn, but he just can't fight his exhaustion any longer.

"Sleep now, my love," Miss Parker smiles, pressing a kiss to Jarod's forehead. "You've earned it."

She watches his eyes slowly close, unwilling to miss even another moment of his daughter's life. But soon, sleep overtakes him, giving his body a much needed respite. It was a long journey home. But they made it. Love brought them there. And now, their Faith will help them keep it.



The end.