Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Title - Gray Areas (1/4)
Author - Nicky
Rating - PG to PG-13 (for some violence)
Category - JMPR/MPL
Summary - Lyle meets someone who changes his entire life. That new life is threatened when Jarod's actions, although done for the right reasons, turn out wrong for all involved.
Disclaimer - Most of these characters don't belong to me. But I'm staking my claim to Jessica and Zachary. They're all mine :-)

* * * * * * * * * *

Lyle walks down the sidewalk, staying closer to the shadows than he does to the light. His usual proud strut he reserves for the halls of the Centre is replaced by a stealthy skulk. Tonight, he wasn't trying to be recognized. Tonight, he wanted to be any person other than himself. He wanted to find someone to help him forget about who he really is.

Lyle eyes each of the women he passes. He's too tired to work too hard. That leaves out the seduction scenarios. He was hunting for a sure thing. Walking further into the heart of downtown Blue Cove, Lyle finally reaches 12th Street, an alley well known for it's seemingly never-ending supply of women for hire. If he thought long enough and hard enough, it might sadden him to see so many woman reduced to this level. But thinking was another thing he didn't want to do tonight.

Rounding the corner, Lyle is almost run over by a flock of women fleeing the alley. When the dust settles, he considers turning back. Something weird was going on to spook these girls. Trouble that he wasn't looking for. But his inner curiosity gets the better of him and he takes a few more steps towards the alley. He peeks down the alley and finds himself staring into a pair of huge blue eyes down at the other end. The eyes belong to a little girl, barely knee high. The girl's mother, or who Lyle assumed was her mother, was standing next to her desperately searching the alley for something. She finally finds a tipped over box and shoves the little girl behind it, making sure it completely covered her. She made a gesture to the little girl to stay quiet and turned back in the direction she came from.

"That was strange," Lyle mutters to himself before turning around and heading back to his car. Maybe tonight wasn't the best night to find companionship after all. At least not on this side of town. Something tells him he was about to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Confirmation of that feeling comes in the next second. A loud popping noise echoes through the air. It sounded like a gunshot and it came from the alley he just passed. Lyle turns back once again, quietly tipping back to the corner. He peeks his head around, trying not to be seen by whoever's down the alley.

The woman he saw earlier was lying on the ground in a pool of her blood. She wasn't moving, so Lyle assumed she wasn't alive. Not that that made a difference, because the men were making sure she was dead. With one swift chop, the woman's head was cut off and stuffed into a bag. Her body went into another bag and both bags were placed in the trunk. Lyle ducks when the men take a quick look around the alley, making sure there were no witnesses. Satisfied that their deeds went unnoticed, the men get into their car and speed off.

Lyle stands in shock for a few moments. No matter how much he's seen or done at the Centre, this cold-blooded murder disturbed him. For some reason, he could always find a way to justify his crimes. In his mind, his victims got what they deserved. This was just a horrific act of senseless violence. Lyle shakes himself, wondering why he's so upset and decides it's time to leave. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, trying to cleanse the image from his mind. When his eyes open, he finds himself looking at the same little girl from before. This time, she stood right before him. Her eyes were watery, but no tears fell. She silently stared at Lyle, pleading with him to help her. Lyle took a step back, preparing to walk away, but the little girl had a grip on his pants leg. He didn't seem to be going anywhere without her. He looks back down at her and makes his decision. He couldn't very well just leave her out here alone. Besides, he could just take her to the Centre and let them deal with her. They were always looking for new subjects for their little tests. And if she turned out to be worthy, he might even get the praise for finding her. A grin spreads across his face at that possibility. Taking the little girl's hand in his own, he leads her out of the alley.

* * * * * * * * * *

The incessant ringing of the phone finally penetrates Miss Parker's sleep muddled brain. She reaches for the phone with several unsuccessful attempts before finally making contact.

"What," she growls sleepily into the phone. Looking at the clock, she sees that it's too early to be Jarod. His calls usually come later.

"Did I wake you, Miss Parker? It's barely midnight on a Friday. I figured your social life was a bit more active than that," Lyle teases.

"What do you want Lyle? This better be good," she snaps.

"Actually, I need your help with something."

"This time of night? Lyle, are you in some kind of trouble?"

"No," he answers quickly. "I found something. And I don't really know what to do with it now. I was wondering if you could help me with it."

She sits silently for a few moments, contemplating her options. She could get up, get dressed, drive all the way out to Lyle's for some unknown reason. Or, she could hang up and go back to sleep. Putting it that way, she made the obvious decision.

"Good night, Lyle. I'm going back to sleep." She starts to hang up the phone when she hears him on the other end.

"Wait! Please. I'm begging you. I swear I'm not in any trouble. But I could really use your help. I don't know who else to call," he pleads.

The pleading was effective and almost convinced her. But mostly she was curious as to what he could have over there.

"Okay. I'll be right over," she says, hanging up the phone.

* * * * * * * * * *

Lyle's sitting on the couch when Miss Parker arrives. The little girl has spent the past hour just staring curiously at him. She hasn't spoken, moved, or even asked for anything since he brought her home. It was starting to get a little freaky. Luckily, Miss Parker finally got there. Maybe she could take the girl off his hands until they could take her to the Centre.

"Come in," he offers as he opens the door.

"So what's the mystery, Lyle?" she asks, walking towards his living room. "What is it that you got me out of my bed to . . . " She stops talking and walking at the same time when she noticed the little girl on the couch.

"Lyle, your dates are getting younger and younger," she jokes. "You do realize they'd bury you under the prison for this one, right? This is a little girl, Lyle."

"Very funny, Parker. I know it's a little girl. That I can see. I just don't know what to do with it," he admits.

"And that's why you called me?" she laughs. "Lyle, what do I know about kids?"

"More than me, I'm sure. It's starting to freak me out, just sitting there staring at me like that."

"Like I said before, Lyle. She's a little girl. She's not an it. Did you ask her what her name was?"

"Yeah," he nods. "She hasn't said anything. She just stares."

"Well where did you get her? What's she doing here?" Miss Parker takes off her jacket and goes to sit next to the little girl. The little girl's eyes pop wide open and she jumps up, running to stand behind Lyle.

"Hey, what's the matter?" Lyle asks in a surprisingly gentle tone. He turns around and bends eye level with the girl. "That lady is my sister. I called her to help me take care of you. Is that alright?"

They're both shocked when the girl nods her head in agreement. It was the first time she ever attempted to communicate with Lyle.

"Hi," Miss Parker says softly to the girl. "My name is Miss Parker. You've met my brother, Lyle. But we don't know who you are. You think you could tell us your name?"

"Jessie," she whispers.

"Jessie," Miss Parker smiles. "That's a nice name. Is it short for Jessica?" The girl nods again. "Good. You know what Jessie? I'm pretty hungry. How about you? Why don't I help you get out of these clothes and get washed up while Lyle finds us something to eat?"

"Okay," Jessie says, a little louder than her earlier whisper. She looks up to Lyle, still clinging to his leg before finally taking a few tentative steps towards Miss Parker.

Miss Parker smiles and takes her hand, leading her to the bathroom.

* * * * * * * * * * *

An hour later, after Jessie has been bathed and fed, Miss Parker sits on the couch, waiting on the story from Lyle.

"Well? What's going on here? Where did you get her?" she asks impatiently, nodding her head towards the little girl. She notices Jessie sitting closer to Lyle than she was to Miss Parker. The girl seemed to have a strange attachment to him.

"I was downtown earlier this evening. Looking for a little . . . company," he tries to put it delicately. I passed an alley and saw Jessie with a woman. I kept on walking and heard a gunshot a few minutes later." He stops his story when he realizes that Jessie has started shaking next to him. She was crying.

"Those men chopped up my mommy," she sobs. "Are they going to get me too?"

"No, Jessie. They're not going to get you," Lyle tries to comfort her. He looks at Miss Parker, asking her silently what to do. She just shrugs and looks at the little girl.

"You're going to take care of me?" her tiny voice asks. She turns to him and the look in her eyes literally melts his hearts.

"Yes, Jessie. I'll make sure they don't get you. I'll take care of you," he promises.

She climbs up in his lap and puts her head on his chest. With a sigh of relief, she lets out a hiccup and soon her breathing becomes deep and regular.

"I think she's asleep," Miss Parker whispers, not wanting to wake her up. "It's late. I think you two are set for the night. I should go."

"You're right. It's late. Why don't you just stay here? You and Jessie can take my room," he offers. "I'll sleep on the couch."

"Are you sure?" she asks him. He just nods. "Okay, then. Just bring her up and grab me a t-shirt or something to sleep in."

Lyle lifts the little girl up awkwardly and has to hold her close to keep her from falling. He can feel her little heart beating against his chest. He can smell her freshly washed hair in his nose. Her little hands wrap around the back of his neck and hold him tight. In that one moment, Lyle got his first taste of what it was truly like to have someone's life depend on him.

* * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker rolls over as the rays of light from the morning sun streak through the blinds of Lyle's room. She closes her eyes tighter to try to shut out the brightness, but a sound to her left further wakens her. She rolls back over and sees Jessie next to her, huddled in a little ball in the corner of the bed. She's sobbing silently, only her sniffs every few minutes are audible.

"Jessie?" Miss Parker asks groggily. "What's the matter?"

"He's gone," she sniffs.

"Who? Lyle?"

"I can't find him," the little girl cries. "I looked all over and I can't find him."

"How about we check again?" Miss Parker offers. Jessie nods and wipes her eyes with the back of one hand.

They go to the living room to check for Lyle again. Sure enough, the couch is empty. The place is spotless, as if he never was there. Out of the corner of her eye, Miss Parker spots a piece of paper. A note. She walks over to read it just as the lock turns on the front door.

"You guys are up," Lyle remarks, walking in the door with his arms full of bags of groceries. He has to set them down on the floor next to him to close the door. Before he can even turn back around, Jessie has run over and has a death grip on his legs.

"She was scared when she couldn't find you," Miss Parker informs him, explaining the girl's odd behavior. "I woke up and she was crying. She said she looked or you, but you were gone. This girl has serious abandonment issues."

"Well, what do I do?" Lyle asks in a panic. He was still frozen in the same position with Jessie's arms locked tightly around his legs.

"Reassure her. I'm going to put up the groceries," she says with a smile at Lyle's panic. She watches in amusement as he looks down at the girl and lightly taps her on the head. Her smile turns into a full blown laugh. "I said reassure her, not pet her. She's not a puppy, Lyle. Just pick her up and hug her. That's usually all kids need."

"Okay," he says, not sounding sure of himself. "A hug. I can do that." He reaches down and pries her arms from around his legs. Once he's free, he bends down and pulls her into his arms. "Don't cry, Jessie. I didn't leave you. I just had to go get you a few things. But I'm back now. It's okay."

Once again, Miss Parker is amazed at the attachment the girl has with Lyle. Only he seems to be able to calm her down. And he does it surprisingly well. Perhaps there was a heart lurking under all that evil after all. She files that thought away for later consideration as she heads put away the groceries. Once in the kitchen, her cell phone rings. Sighing heavily, she knows that it can only be work related. She was actually looking forward to spending the day with Lyle and Jessica. But it doesn't look like that's going to happen now.

* * * * * * * * * *

Jarod's Lair
4 hours later . . .

Miss Parker raised her gun and headed off to another part of the apartment. From what she could tell, the place was abandoned. Jarod was long gone. Broots had called her earlier that day telling her about the lead. Lyle decided to stay with Jessie while she followed up on it. She was only slightly surprised at that. He seemed to be falling in love with the little girl. But he'll never admit that.

"You know what? I think he's gone," she says through the walkie talkie. "You guys can head on out. I'm going to stay here and sift through the clues one more time."

"Alright, Miss Parker," Broots says. "We'll meet you at the hotel later."

She turns off the radio and puts the safety on her gun. She had just reholstered it when a voice sounds from the darkness.

"I thought they'd never leave us alone."

Miss Parker spins around and tries to focus on the face, even though she knows just who it is.

"Jarod. Nice of you to join us. Was this planned or did we just surprise you this time?" she asks him.

"I shouldn't tell you and risk you getting a big head. But I'll admit. You guys surprised me. I didn't have time to leave this time. You're getting better, Parker. But not good enough. You still won't catch me," he taunts.

"Really? And what makes you think that?"

"Put these on," he orders, throwing a pair of handcuffs in her direction. "Don't make me use the gun," he warns.

"Yeah right . . " she starts. But she closes her mouth quickly and complies with his wishes when she hears the gun cock. "Fine. Cuffs are on."

He finally comes out of the darkness and checks to see that she's cuffed securely. He quickly takes a rope and ties her feet together, preventing her from running, kicking, or any other thing she had planned.

"So, what are you up to Jarod? What kind of games do you have in mind with these cuffs?" she asks him seductively. She laughs when his eyes widen in shock and he has to nervously lick his dry lips.

"All kinds of games," he says, recovering quickly from his shock. "I've been waiting a long time to play with you, Miss Parker." His face is the picture of smugness and she feels her breath hitch in her chest. They've taunted and teased each other in the past, but this was different. More intense. More exciting.

"Wouldn't we have more fun without me all tied up?" she purrs. Her eyes become playfully seductive and Jarod's starting to find it hard to concentrate. The way she keeps on pursing her lips and the warmth from her breath is starting to intoxicate him.

"Probably," he whispers close to her ear. He takes a moment to lightly trace the outline of her neck with his lips without actually touching her skin. The proximity, though, is enough to make her shiver. He notices her reaction and feels like he's won the first round. "But we'll have to thoroughly test that theory another time. I'll have to take a rain check." He sits back and winks at her, her face reddened with anger and anticipation. Standing up, he takes her walkie talkie and places it where she could eventually get to it if she worked hard enough.

"Next time we meet, we'll see how much fun we can have," he promises and flashes one more cocky grin before running out of the building.

"Can't wait," she whispers as a big smile spreads across her flushed face.

* * * * * * * * * *

One week later . . .

Broots nervously knocks on Miss Parker's office door. He wasn't looking forward to seeing her. She was always grumpy after a failed attempt at catching Jarod. But they just spent a whole week chasing false leads on Jarod. After they found her all tied up in that apartment the first day, she surprisingly wasn't too upset. But her irritation mounted as the week progressed. Now, she was just down right cranky.

"Miss Parker?" he says, sticking his head in the door. She doesn't even look up to acknowledge his presence. "Your father called. He's waiting on the report from our last trip. And he wants to know if you've seen Lyle."

"Lyle's not here?" she asks, suddenly very interested in what Broots was saying.

"He hasn't been here all week. You father assumed he was with us, but I told him he wasn't."

"Thanks Broots," she says distractedly. "Here's the report. Take that to my father and tell him that Lyle had some personal things to take care of. He'll be in next week."

"Is that true?" Broots asks, fearing the possibility of having to lie to Mr. Parker.

"I don't know," she say. "But I'm going to go find out." She hands him the report and shuts off her computer. Grabbing her bag, she leaves him standing in her office.

* * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker arrives at Lyle's and finds the door slightly ajar. She just pushes it open and goes in, almost getting run over by workmen in the process. Scanning the room, she finds Lyle on the other side standing just outside of what used to be his home office. Surprisingly, he's holding Jessie in his arms comfortably. The previous awkwardness is gone. She's amazed at what changes a week could make.

"What's going on here?" she asks Lyle.

"Hi Miss Parker," Jessie says cheerfully. She jumps down from Lyle's arms and runs across the room to give Miss Parker a hug.

"Hi Jessie," Miss Parker responds, shocked. As far as she can remember, the little girl has never initiated any contact with her. She looks over to Lyle, but he just has a smug grin on his face. "How are you?"

"I get my own room," Jessie shouts excitedly. "With yellow walls and daisy curtains and a big bed all to myself."

"Calm down, Jessie," Lyle says with a chuckle. "Why don't you go in and see the finished product. The men just finished putting the mattress on the frame." The girl smiles and runs to her new room.

"A room?" Miss Parker questions. "I thought she was only staying here until you can take her to the Centre."

"You know how she is when she can't see me, Parker. Besides, she needed a place to sleep, right? I couldn't take another night on that couch. This way, the Centre and Jessie will be happy. I'll take her to the Centre with me during the day and bring her back here during the night," he tries to rationalize.

"Lyle . . . " Miss Parker says suspiciously. "What's really going on here? A week ago, you didn't know what to do with this little girl. Now, you've had your home renovated to make her a room?"

"I made a promise," he says quietly. "I told her I'd take care of her. I didn't want to let her down. When I mentioned her going to the Centre, I told her how she'd be going to this place like school. And that there would be people there to play special games with her and stuff. Do you know what she asked me? She asked me if they were nice people. She asked me if I was going to be there to make sure they didn't hurt her. How could I answer that? We both know the kinds of things that go on at that place."

"And you couldn't see how you could keep your promise to her if she ended up in the hands of someone like Raines," Miss Parker realizes.

"Exactly," he replies, but is confused at the big smile on her face. "What? What's so funny?"

"You are," she laughs. "I hate to tell you this, Lyle, but you're starting to sound like a responsible parent."

"No way," he disagrees. "I just promised her that . . ."

"You promised you'd take care of her," she finishes for him. "And you intend on keeping that promise. Lyle, promises used to be just words to you. You used to make and break them all the time. Now all of a sudden you want to be honorable?"

"You say it like that's a bad thing."

"No, I'm saying it because it's something I never expected from you." She smiles warmly at him as she grabs his hand. "And I think I like it. You had the courage to allow this little girl in your heart. You have the courage to show her that you care by taking care of her like this. Her little world was torn apart last week. You're helping her build herself a new one. I admire that. I envy that. But mostly, I'm proud of you, Lyle."

"Proud?" he asks incredulously. "No one's ever been proud of me before." He smiles uncomfortably at her before going to check on Jessie. Just before walking into the room, he stops and turns to Miss Parker. "Thanks. For supporting me on this. And letting me know it's okay to do the right thing." His smile this time is genuine.

* * * * * * * * * *
Centre Nursery
Three weeks later . . .

Miss Parker loved this time of day at the Centre. Most everyone went to lunch at this time. But she took this time each day to visit Baby Parker. She wondered if anyone ever took the time to visit him. She knew that her father didn't. She couldn't understand why her father didn't pay any attention to the boy at all. But she took her job as big sister seriously. She would make sure Joshua knew he was loved.

"Hey Miss Parker," Jessie chimes. She was just four years old, so she didn't have classes like the other children there. Many times, Miss Parker would see her in the nursery as well.

"Hey Jessie. How are you?" Miss Parker responds.

"I'm great. Me and Zach were just coming to sit for the story you read to Joshie every day," Jessie says. She pokes her finger gently into the baby's stomach, causing him to laugh hysterically. The little boy off to Jessie's side smiles at the baby's laughter. But he doesn't laugh out loud like Jessie and Miss Parker.

"This is your friend Zach? He's pretty quiet," Miss Parker notices.

"He doesn't like to talk," Jessie explains. "He talks to me, though. He's really sad most of the times. He doesn't have parents. He said I'm lucky to have you and Lyle to take care of me."

Miss Parker looks at the sad little boy next to her psuedo niece. He really did look sad. His deep chocolate eyes seemed to hold such pain. So much like another little boy she once knew to roam these halls. She ruffles his dark spiky hair and smiles at him, bending down to his level to look directly into his eyes.

"Zach, I just want you to know that any friend of Jessie and Josh, is a friend of mine," she winks at him and watches a little bit of the sadness melt away when he returns her smile. He grabs her hand and they walk over to the nap time mats to get settled for the story.

Jessie has picked out a story and is getting comfortable on one side of Miss Parker. Zach sits on the other side and the baby sits on her lap. She's about to start reading when they're interrupted by the door opening.

"There you two are," a flustered lab assistant says as he runs through the door. "You two are not supposed to be in the nursery. You know that. Let's go," he scolds sternly. With a defeated sigh, Zach stands up and obediently moves towards the door. Jessie, on the other hand, defiantly crosses her arms and remains where she is.

"Jessica," the lab assistant says with a warning edge to his voice. "I said let's go."

"No," she yells, staring daggers at the lab assistant. "I don't want to do anymore of those tests."

The lab assistant has had enough of the tantrum and storms over to where Jessie is sitting. He grabs her arm and yanks her up, causing a scream to come from the girl's mouth.

"Let her go," Miss Parker insists. She stares the same dagger-filled stare that Jessie gave him just moments earlier. But this time, the man is visibly shaken. However he doesn't release the girl.

"I said to let her go," she snarls, finding her gun and raising it to the man.

"What's going on in here?" Lyle asks, bursting through the doors and a bit out of breath. "I was coming to check on Jessie and I thought I heard her scream." He immediately takes in the scene before him. His angry sister standing with baby Joshua in one hand and her gun in the other. An equally angry Jessie is at her side. The little girl bursts into tears and runs into Lyle's arms when she spots him.

"This goon here refuses to leave the kids alone," Miss Parker snaps.

"I have orders, Miss Parker," the man stutters.

"I don't care who these orders are from," Lyle growls. "If my sister said to leave the children alone, then you need to leave the children alone." He stares the lab assistant down until finally he relents and leaves the room. Jessie's still sobbing in his arms and Josh is starting to get agitated at the tension in the room.

"Why don't we you out of here, Jessie," he says softly to the girl, trying to calm her down.

"What about Zach?" She sniffs. "And Joshie? I don't want the men to come back for them."

Lyle looks over to Miss Parker, silently begging her for help explaining to Jessie that the boys have to stay. But she surprises him with her suggestion.

"They can come too," Miss Parker says. "It's Friday, so I can take them home with me for the weekend. We'll go somewhere fun tomorrow and then Sunday, we'll all go to Mass."

"Mass?" Lyle asks with a slight scowl. "I guess I can do Mass." The look on Miss Parker's face is incredulous and he has to inquire about her shock. "What? Contrary to popular believe, Sis, I'm not a complete heathen. I have been to church before. While not what I'd call devout, my adoptive mother insisted on dragging me to Mass every Sunday. And on Christmas and Easter."

"Whatever," she giggles, trying hard to keep them image of young Bobby Bowman genuflecting and taking communion. "So this weekend works for you?"

"Sounds like a plan," Lyle says, barely able to hold back his smile. He was starting to feel like he actually had a family for the first time in his life. Things were perfect. But a little voice on the inside of him kept on reminding him that when things seem to be their greatest, that's when the worst seems to happen.

* * * * * * * * * *

Sunday night . . .

Miss Parker stands out on her back porch, enjoying the silence of the evening. She never realized kids could make so much noise. Even Zach. The little boy was quiet and reserved when she met him in the Centre. But being out and being free really broke him from his shell. Pretty soon, he was acting like a normal, healthy, and very active 5 year old. Add Joshua's terrible two's tantrums and the noise level increased exponentially. But now that the weekend was over and they were both asleep, she actually missed them. And she was sad that she had to take them back to the Centre the next day.

She yawns wearily and decides to head back inside, the long weekend starting to catch up with her. A voice from the darkness stops her.

"Going so soon? I thought we were going to have some fun this time," Jarod teases. He sees her face light up with a smile and decides it's safe to come out of his hiding place. "I even brought the handcuffs."

"Very tempting, Jarod. But I have company." She nods inside the house and Jarod peeks inside to see the two little boys sprawled out on the living room floor.

"Should I be jealous?" Jarod asks. "I don't think I stand a chance going up against them. Especially that one who drools. He looks like he's won your heart."

"That's my Joshie. I love him to pieces," she says with a wistful sigh. "The other one's Zach. He's just a sad, lonely little boy. He actually reminded me a lot of you when we were kids. It's really ashame for someone to have to grow up like that." She looks at him sympathetically and silence blankets the room. Another yawn escapes her and she tiredly rubs the back of her neck.

"Looks like you guys had an exciting weekend. You're dead on your feet," he notices, trying to change the touchy subject.

"I'm exhausted. Kids are very tiring," she laughs. "I was on my way to take them up. Then I was going to bed myself."

"I'll help," he smiles before walking into the house. He stoops to pick up the baby and gently places him in Miss Parker's arms. Then he picks up Zach, the heavier of the two, but still surprisingly light. He follows Miss Parker up the stairs.

"Zach's going in the guest room and Josh is going to sleep with me," she whispers, not wanting to wake the kids.

Jarod nods and takes Zach down the hall, getting him settled in the bed. He goes back to Miss Parker's room and watches her finish putting the baby in the bed, placing pillows behind his back to keep him from rolling off the bed.

"Your turn," Jarod whispers.

"My turn for what?" she asks confused.

"For bed. Let me tuck you in," he grins.

She looks strangely at him but takes him up on his offer anyway. She slips off her robe, laying the silky item neatly across the chair and then climbs in the bed.

"So, do I get a story?" she asks mockingly.

"If you're good," he teases back. "And if that's *all* what you want me to do. I can just sit here and talk to you until my lips fall off."

"And what a waste of lips that would be," she says, reaching up to trace his mouth with the tip of her finger. "Now that I think of it, I know of something much better to do with them." She reaches up with her other hand and grabs the back of his neck. She pulls his head down close to hers until their lips meet. His hands fall to the bed to keep him from crushing her. For a moment, they just enjoy the feel of their mouths pressing together and the sensation of their warm breath mingling. Then she runs her tongue along his bottom lip before pulling it gently into her mouth. She does the same with his top lip and feels him start to tremble.

Over the initial shock of the kiss, Jarod starts to actively participate. He gently probes at her lips with his tongue until they open to him, allowing him to thoroughly explore her mouth. A deep moan from the back of her throat elicits one of his own and he has to force himself to break the kiss.

"I think you've been tucked in, Miss Parker," he says, gasping desperately for air. "I should probably be going."

"Yeah, I guess you should be going," she agrees reluctantly. "Good night."

"Good night," he whispers, leaning over to give her one more gentle peck on her swollen lips before walking to the door.

"Jarod," she calls out, stopping him in his tracks. "See you next time. We'll get to those handcuffs yet," she teases, laughing to herself when she hears a strange little gargling noise come from him. He leaves the door open so she can hear if Zach wakes up later. She waits until she hears the front door close and lock before she finally allows sleep to come.

* * * * * * * * * *
The Centre Early Education Wing
Monday morning

Lyle paces back and forth in front of the large glass wall separating him and the person who's become the most important thing in his life, although he'd never admit that. Jessie sat in the room off in the corner playing with some blocks. Lyle carefully watched anyone who approached her, afraid for what they'd do to her. He knew that every child at the Centre goes through a variety of tests to determine any special skills or gifts they possess, but for some reason, he felt Jessie should be exempt from these tests. She has expressed her displeasure to him several times, but the events of the other day were the final straw for him.

"You won't be able to watch her every second of the day," a voice says, breaking him from him concentration. Lyle turns around and sees Miss Parker standing next to him.

"But what if they're doing something to her that she hates? You saw what happened the other day. She wouldn't go back with them because she didn't like their little games. The guy just grabbed her and was going to take her by force. She was scared and crying and I felt so guilty not being able to prevent that," Lyle says.

"That wasn't your fault, Lyle," Miss Parker tells him.

"I shouldn't have brought her here," he whispers, leaning his head against the glass.

"You can change that. It's not too late," she suggests. "But you have to do something. You can't stay here everyday watching her while we're supposed to be working. Daddy's going to get wind of it and wonder what you're so fascinated with. After that, I don't think there will be any hope for her."

"What can I do?" he asks hopelessly.

"Just find another place for her to go during the day. School. Get her a nanny. Just a couple of suggestions."

"She won't leave without Zach," Lyle says.

"I know. That's going to be a problem," Miss Parker sighs. "Those two are so attached. I guess I could keep on bringing him home with me on the weekends like we did this weekend. I don't think we got into too much trouble for the stunt," she smiles mischievously.

"That might work," he ponders. "It's going to have to work. I can't let her stay here another day, Parker."

"I think you made the right decision," she smiles. "Little kids don't need to be at this place," she says with a darker tone. "I grew up here. But I eventually got to leave. Jarod wasn't so lucky. It broke my heart to see what this place did to him. I don't want that to happen to Jessie, Joshua or Zach."

"Speaking of Jarod. Any new leads?" Lyle asks.

"Actually, that's what I was coming to get you for. Daddy wants us to start having an official weekly meeting with him," she frowns. "Broots and Sydney already headed up there. I came to get you. But, you should get Jessie out of here and start looking for a nanny for her. I'll cover for you with Daddy."

"Thanks," he smiles. "I owe you one, Sis," he adds before barging into the room to gather Jessie.

Miss Parker watches the little girl's face light up when she sees him. Those two never ceased to amaze her. For the few weeks they've known each other, they were closer than Miss Parker's ever been with her father. She envied that. But she was also glad that the little girl had Lyle. He cared about her more than he's ever cared about anything. She smiles to herself once more before walking up to her father's office for the meeting. At that moment, her sincerest prayer was for the continued happiness of Lyle and Jessie. But something told her it wouldn't be that easy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker turns her key in the lock to her front door and swings it wide open. Her arms are full of groceries and she fails to notice a visitor sitting on her couch.

"I guess I should be a gentleman and offer my assistance," he says.

"Jarod," she smiles. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you," he smiles back before rising from the couch to grab her bags. She thanks him and closes the door behind her. "And I had something that I wanted to tell you in person."

"What is it?" she asks, suddenly worried.

"Oh, it's nothing bad," he says when he notices the panicked look on her face. "I just may be out of sight for a few days. Something came up that I need to devote all my attention to." He watches her start to unpack the groceries and puts them away, mostly staying out of the way, but also being there to put items on the higher shelf. It feels so normal and domestic that it makes his heart ache for a life like this.

"A new pretend?" she asks.

"Yeah. A little girl was kidnapped a few weeks ago. But it just caught my attention because the police just recently uncovered evidence that her mother may have been killed. And since there hasn't been any ransom and no sign that the girl was harmed, the FBI is assuming that whoever killed her mother was after the girl. Since it happened in the area, immediately my mind jumped to the Centre. I have a feeling they have something to do with her disappearance."

"That's a big leap to take, Jarod," Miss Parker says nervously. "Just because a child is kidnapped doesn't always automatically mean that the Centre's involved." She tries to remain calm inwardly, but something tells her that this was the prelude to the other proverbial shoe falling. Somehow, Lyle has gotten himself hooked into a murder/kidnapping. Maybe he knew about it, maybe he didn't. But that's besides the point. Jarod was on the case. And he was bound to uncover to truth sooner or later.

"That's true. Usually it doesn't mean that," Jarod agrees. "But this time, I have proof. My sources inside the Centre say that Lyle just recently brought a little girl to the Centre for tests. This all happened around the time she went missing. Her mother was a prostitute and we both know that Lyle isn't above murdering an innocent woman. Quite possibly, the child is even Lyle's, a product of a night he may have spent with the woman. But that's all just speculation."

"Yeah, speculation based on assuming the worst about Lyle," she says defensively. Over the past few weeks, Lyle has changed. And it's not an act. She at least owed him the benefit of the doubt before she jumped to Jarod's conclusions.

"Is there something you know about this?" he asks suspiciously.

"Look, Jarod. You know that generally, I tend to stay out of Lyle's affairs. Things usually get kind of sticky when dealing with him. And he's capable of a lot of things. But I've spent a little time with him recently. And as far as I know, he hasn't killed anyone and kidnapped their child," she explains to him. "You know, I don't really want to talk about how much of a psychopath my brother may or may not be, okay?"

"Alright," Jarod relents, taking the hint that she wanted the subject changed. "What do you want to talk about?"

"How about dinner? What would you like?"

"Are you going to cook for me, Parker?" he asks with a smile.

"Actually, I think you should do the cooking. I tried to make oatmeal for the kids last weekend and burned the water," she laughs.

"How did you manage that?" he asks, joining in on her laughter. "It's actually kind of funny you mentioned that. Because at the end of a long day, I like to kind of imagine little scenarios of a normal life. A little scene like this." He walks over and stands next to her, taking her hand in his own.

"I'll imagine myself coming home from work and wondering where my wife is with dinner. But then I'll realize that she works, too. And that she's a lot better in the boardroom than she is in the kitchen," he laughs. "Like you, she too will burn water if she tries to boil it."

"What does this dream wife of yours look like, Jarod?" Miss Parker asks in a whisper, getting into his fantasy.

"She's beautiful. Inside and out. She looks a lot like you, now that I think about it," he smiles. She looks away, not wanting him to see her blush. "Her eyes are the most beautiful shade of blue, the exact same as yours. And her smile lights up the room. But what I really love about her are her lips. They're so soft. Inviting. Kissable," he whispers before covering her mouth with his own.

"That's some fantasy woman, Jarod," she gasps, desperately trying to get air into her lungs after that breathless kiss.

"Yeah, but she doesn't compare to the real thing," he says before pulling her into another kiss. This one is even deeper and more passionate than the first. They pull apart only when they both the need for air overrides any other feelings. He looks at her curiously when he sees the huge smile on her face.

"What?" he asks.

"Nothing," she giggles. "I was just thinking that this dream wife of yours did a good job teaching you how to kiss."

"Actually, that was a lesson learned long ago, my dear," he says, kissing her on the nose before letting her out of his embrace. "Taught to me by the cutest little girl I've ever seen."

"Yeah, she thought you were pretty cute, too," Miss Parker smiles. "That's why she kissed you then. And that's why she's about to kiss you now." Miss Parker pulls Jarod back into her arms, covering his mouth once again with her own eager lips.

"Now, now, Miss Parker. I thought I was here for dinner," he teases between her kisses. "To *eat* it. Not to *be* it."

"I've never done things the way I'm supposed to, Jarod. I thought you knew that. I like my dessert first," she smiles seductively. "Now shut up and kiss me."

"Yes ma'am," he says as he enthusiastically follows her order.