Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

List Provided By: Mel.

Sibling Rivalry IV
by: chopsticks
p g

-----


Lyle smirked as he put the finishing touches on a piece of paper. This was going to be the best yet. The subtext in this one was perfect.

He sat back and admired his handiwork for a moment, then reached over and jabbed a button on his phone.

"Linda?"

"Yes, Mr. Lyle?" an Asian voice asked over the intercom.

"Could you come in here please."

"Yes, Mr. Lyle." He loved how he had trained her so well. All she ever said was: "Yes, Mr. Lyle," "Thank you, Mr. Lyle," and "Right away, Mr. Lyle." Nothing more, nothing less. She was the perfect secretary.

The door gently swooshed shut behind her as she entered. He beckoned her to come over, and she did exactly that, always at attention.

"Go tack this up outside Miss Parker’s office, please," Lyle said to her, handing the paper over.

"Right away, Mr. Lyle." She reached out and took the paper, briefly touching his hand. He felt a shudder go through him. Perhaps it was time for a new secretary for the infamous Mr. Lyle.

Linda walked down the hallway, never making eye contact with anyone. She knew better than to do that. Mr. Lyle had taught her well.

She came to a stop outside of Miss Parker’s office, and noticed the area where a paper had been previously. There was a scratch down the wall, obviously left by a tack. She fingered the one in her hand, and then held the paper up, shoving the tack through it and into the wall.

She knew she shouldn’t read the paper, but she couldn’t resist. After all, it was left right out in the open for everybody to see. She began to read, and then quietly started laughing. She knew Mr. Lyle would have her head if he found out, but she couldn’t help it. It was too funny.

Others noticed her standing there laughing, and they quickly headed over. By now they had figured out what was going on, and always looked forward to the posting of another list. Soon snickers could be heard emanating from the small crowd that had gathered around Miss Parker’s office.

Suddenly, the door snapped open sharply, and Sydney ambled out. Just when he was almost over the threshold, he stumbled forward slightly, obviously having been shoved. A feminine voice from within growled out after him, instructing him to find out what was going on.

The crowd stopped mumbling amongst themselves and turned to look at Sydney, much like deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car.

Sydney cleared his throat and then asked, "May I ask what’s going on?"

The crowd’s eyes widened as one, and they all instantly scattered, leaving Linda to talk to Sydney.

Sydney suppressed a chuckle, then turned to the only remaining person in the hallway. "Linda, what’s going on?" Linda shakily pointed to the wall, where the paper was posted. Sydney turned to look at it, then looked back, only to find Linda gone. Yes, Mr. Lyle had trained her well.

Sydney gently tugged at the paper until it ripped loose, leaving the tack in the wall. He began to smile as he read, the subtext jumping out at him.

It Makes You Feel Good. . .
1. Falling in love with the man you‘re supposed to be hunting.
2. Laughing so hard your face hurts.
3. A hot shower, especially when you’re not alone.
4. No lines at the supermarket.
5. A special glance on a video from an old friend.
6. Getting mail from an old friend.
7. Taking a drive on a pretty road to get to a hotel containing an old friend.
8. Hearing your favorite song on the radio.
9. Lying in bed with an old friend listening to the rain outside.
10. Hot towels fresh out of the dryer.
11. Finding out that the sweater that you want is on sale for half price.
12. Chocolate milkshakes with an old friend, especially when the tongue is involved. (or vanilla or strawberry)
13. A long distance phone call from an old friend.
14. A bubble bath with an old friend.
15. Giggling.
16. A good conversation with an old friend.
17 The beach and a naked old friend.
18. Finding a 20 note in your coat from last winter.
19. Laughing at yourself.
20. Midnight phone calls that last for hours from an old friend.
21. Running through sprinklers.
22. Laughing for absolutely no reason at all.
23. Having someone tell you that you're beautiful, especially when angry.
24. Laughing at an inside joke.
25. Friends whom actually aren‘t afraid of you.
26. Accidentally overhearing someone say something nice about you, which is rare, so cherish it.
27. Waking up and realizing you still have a few hours left to sleep with an old friend.
28. Your first kiss with that old friend.
29. Making new friends or spending tons of bedroom time with old ones.
30. Playing with a new bunny.
31. Having someone play with your hair.
32. Sweet dreams of an old friend.
33. Hot chocolate.
34. Road trips with an old friend where you spend more time in the hotel than on the actual road.
35. Swinging on swings.
36. Wrapping presents under the Christmas tree while eating cookies and drinking your favorite liquor, happily getting drunk off your ass.
37. Song lyrics printed inside your new CD so you can sing along without feeling more stupid.
38. Going to a really good concert.
39. Making eye contact with a cute stranger whom happens to be that old friend in disguise.
40. Winning a really competitive game.
41. Making chocolate chip cookies.
42. Having your brother send you homemade cookies that aren‘t laced with rat poison.
43. Spending bedroom time with a close friend.
44. Seeing smiles and hearing laughter from your old friend in the middle of the night.
45. Holding hands with an old friend.
46. Running into an old friend and realizing that some things (good or bad) never change, especially in the bedroom.
47. Riding the best roller coasters over and over.
48. Watching the expression on someone's face as they open a much desired present from you. Namely, you.
49. Watching the sunrise with an old friend.
50. Getting out of bed every morning and being grateful that your brother has refrained from shooting you in your sleep.

Sydney shook his head and chuckled softly. Miss Parker was going to murder Lyle for this list, to say the very least.

He chuckled again and then headed back into the office. He couldn’t wait to see what Miss Parker would come up with. After all, what was more fun than watching a practical joke go spinning out of control to become even more humorous?

-----

the end.

feedback welcomed at spacedoutwriter@hotmail.com.