Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own The Pretender and I make no claims to. It’s owned by Steve and Craig, along with numerous other organizations and/or people. I’m making no money off of this.

Spoilers:
"Donoterase"
Author’s Note: Came up with this idea a looooong time ago. This fic strives to answer the question of how Lyle managed to get to the tarmac at the end of "Donoterase Part II."

Summary: The Centre is full of conspiracies and ulterior motives. This one is no different, except that it will forever alter the lives of those involved.

Conspiracy
by: chopsticks
p g

-----


Lyle glanced up as his door opened, ready to chastise whoever had barged in without knocking. At the sight of who was standing before him, a smile graced his features instead.

She simply glared at him, not in the mood for their typical flirtatious game. Instead, she began to speak, cutting off whatever lascivious remark Lyle had in mind.

"Mr. Raines is going to attempt to murder your father. I’m about to speak with your sister about it in hopes she’ll come and help me ‘save’ him. With any luck, we’ll be able to knock off three birds with one bullet, literally," she bit out, her eyes never wavering from his, showing her grim determination.

Lyle smirked at this news and digested it all quietly. He assumed the "three birds" were Miss Parker, Mr. Parker, and either Jarod or the clone. The death of any one of them, most notably his father, would greatly improve his position within The Centre, especially if it was done by Mr. Raines. The Triumvirate, leaving Lyle as the man in charge, would then deal with Mr. Raines.

"What am I supposed to do?" he inquired, the smirk on his face never exiting.

Her clipped reply was easy to follow, and of course made the most sense. "Follow at a safe distance behind Miss Parker and myself. Be there to help in the capture of one of the Jarods, and the odds are good you’ll assume control of the organization."

One question lingered in Lyle’s mind, though he was sure she already had an answer to it. He just needed to find out what that answer was. "How will I know where to go?"

Per usual, her answer was the most logical and easiest one. "Call me before I leave. I’ll leave my cell phone on and you can listen in on where we’re going."

Lyle nodded in acquiescence, looking forward to this newest power play.

"Glad you’ll be helping. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some arrangements to make with a certain Ice Queen."

"Of course," Lyle replied, nodding his head placidly. She spun on her heels and whipped open the door, twirling the sucker in her mouth as she left. The door whooshed shut behind her, and Lyle let out a breath of air he had been holding as she departed. That woman was like a drug to all males, but she seemed particularly powerful to him.

-----


Lyle hit the speed dial on his cell phone and listened to the other end ring until a familiar French-accented voice answered, "Allo?"

"Say that this is a wrong number and pretend to hang up," Lyle instructed, grinning to himself when he could hear the grinding of her teeth over the phone line.

"Sorry, wrong number," the voice said, then a button was pressed on the phone, long and hard, giving off a piercing screech in Lyle’s ear.

"Goddamnit," he swore quietly, covering the mouthpiece and holding the phone away from his ear.

Several minutes later, he observed Miss Parker’s car pulling out of the parking lot and speeding away in the same direction Sydney and Major Charles had gone earlier. Lyle checked his watch and began to wait.

After exactly five minutes, he left his office, cell phone in hand. After the few minutes spent getting to the parking garage, he climbed into his car and followed Miss Parker’s route.

He could hear Broots giving his sister directions about where to go, which he followed as well. The last direction threw him for a loop, until he realized they were talking about the airfield the Major had been giving piloting lessons.

Once he turned down the correct road, he slowed down and made his way to the airstrip. He arrived just in time to see his sister slump over onto Mr. Parker, and he immediately noticed the bullet hole in her back.

He kept his distance, quietly watching what was happening, until Jarod jumped on a motorcycle and attempted escape. He then pulled up next to Brigitte, who hopped in the car and they took off down the tarmac after Jarod, the helicopter containing Raines and his lapdog Willie in hot pursuit.

When Willie, the expert sniper that he was, finally managed to shoot out Jarod’s tire, Lyle pulled the car up next to him and jumped out. He could hear the helicopter land behind them, but all he could do was grin at his triumph. They had managed to capture the most valuable asset The Centre ever had in its possession.

His grin grew even bigger at Raines’s words: "Welcome back to The Centre, Jarod."

It was time for the boogeyman to reign again.

-----

the end.

feedback welcomed at spacedoutwriter@hotmail.com.