Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Thanks to Tatjana for beta-reading...again. :-)

The Queen Is Dead
A Pretender Fan Fic by Mareen


Trying to get her back.

She wasn't breathing.

He desperately worked on her. Trying to get her heart back to beating.

Why? Just why?

Why was it always him? Why did he loose everyone who meant something to him?

Raines was gritting his teeth. Smiling over her death.

Lyle, too. Smiling at her dead body.

Brigitte.

And even her father.

They killed her all together.

"I love you", she`d said. And then there was a shot.

He was screaming. Crying.

There were hands on his shoulder`s, Sydney`s hands, trying to pull him away from her.

"NO!"

He hit him. He couldn't lose her. Not now. Couldn't leave her.

They were laughing in his face, all of them.

And there was this voice, telling him the truth he`d always known.

"It's all your fault."

Sydney`s hands again, trying to pull him away.

Pulling him. Pulling. Pulling him...


...into the light.

He opened his eyes with a hoarse scream.

"Sir? Are you okay?"

Where was he? What sound was that? A loud sound... A plane. Yes. He was in a plane on his way to Los Angeles. Nearly there. Nearly there.

Must have fallen asleep.

A dream.

Just a dream.

"Sir?"

He looked at her.

"Yes, just a dream", he whispered. "A dream. About someone I lost."

"You were screaming, Sir."

"Really? I`m... I'm sorry."

He closed his eyes again. His heart was beating much too fast and he could hear the blood rushing in his ears.

"I'm too old for this."

He grinned. Was that really his voice? It sounded so different.

He thought about some things. The past. How everything had changed...

"What?" he said suddenly. Did the girl talk to him?

"I said, whom did you lose? The person you dreamt about? Who was that?"

For a second he considered to answer the girl the way "she" would have answered, because it was none of the girl's business. How could she dare to remember him? Just answer her cool and angry, like the "Ice Queen" was supposed to answer, so she will leave you alone then and you can forget again.

But he wasn`t her.

He was still himself.

Even now.

"My...", he said and stopped. "My best friend. My confident. Someone I loved for a long time."

"I'm sorry."

"It happened last summer." He remembered something. "I have a photo."

He was so happy he could show it to someone.

So much time seemed to have passed since her photo became the one he carried around wherever he went, instead of the one of his mother.

"She's beautiful", the girl said.

"Yes."

He'd somehow hoped the grief would vanish a bit after nearly one year had passed since she died. But it was still there. It hurt.

The girl must have seen it in his eyes, because she started to say something, but was interrupted by one of the stewardesses voice.

"Ladies and Gentleman, please fasten your seat-belts. We are about to land on Los Angeles Airport. We hope you had a nice flight."

"Nearly there", he thought. He closed his eyes when the pain washed through him again. "It's been so long."

"I'm sorry, Sir. I didn't want to..."

"No, it's okay. - It's better to talk about her. I somehow tried to...forget her, so it wouldn't hurt so much anymore. But she doesn't deserve that. I know that now."

The plane was landing. He closed his hands around the seat`s armrests, waiting. When the plane stopped at last, he opened the seat-belts and stood up.

"Sir?" the girl said. "My boyfriend is going to pick me up. Do you want us to take you somewhere?"

"Thank you", he said and smiled.

The girl held her breath. He had such a wonderful smile.

"But my daughter is gonna pick me up. I haven't seen her since my wife died last year. We had this fight, you know. She doesn't like the place I run. She says, too much bad memories. The Centre wasn`t the place it is now when she was a litte girl. It's hard for her to forgive. But, you know, after all, it's just a building. And the shadows are long gone. And the bad dreams I have... They are just that. Bad *dreams*."

"I don't think I understand", the girl said.

"Don't mind", he smiled again. "You know, all that matters to me today, is, that my wife, after all the things that have hunted her, died as an old woman, in her sleep, peacefully, after having the wonderful life she deserved. - And that's a thing not everyone has the luck to experience."

He turned around and took two steps towards the plane`s exit. Then, suddenly, he looked at the girl again and smiled one last time.

"I'm sorry. I`ve never introduced myself."

He took her hand and smirked.

"My name is Jarod."

Sometimes, even he himself was surprised, that he was an old man now, but still free.


Author's Note: I hope I made myself clear in this story?
Jarod`s wife, the one he lost the summer before, was Miss Parker.
Who else? :-)