Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Written for the "Put a Centre member into a hospital and give him/her a visitor"-Challenge, July 2000.

Something to Feel Better...
by Mareen.


"Mr Lyle, I was so sorry when it came to my knowledge that you have been hurt!"

The elderly woman's high-pitched voice made him twitch. He wrinkled his nose and frowned and a small "uh" came out of his mouth when the pain returned to his head with a vengeance. Involuntarily, his hand went up to his forehead.

"Oh, Mr Lyle!" she shrieked and rushed to his side. "Just how did that happen? The doctor refused to tell me more than that you've got a bad concussion and need a lot of rest and can't leave your bed."

Lyle swayed a bit in his sitting position on the bed when more pain rushed through him. With his very last bit of self-restraint he successfully fought the urge to stuff his pillow down her throat.

"Who are you?" he groaned. "Go away." He fell back on his pillow.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry", she said. "I'm Mrs Andrews. We talked on the phone two weeks ago."

He stared at her, then suddenly grinned and offered her his hand. "Of course. Mrs Andrews! So pleased to meet you. I've been waiting for you rather impatiently."

They shook hands, and Mrs Andrews smiled at him that broadly, Lyle felt as if her shining-white false teeth were blinding him for a moment. He groaned again and held his hurting head.

"Just how did that happen, Mr Lyle?" she said and stared at the bad cut on his head. "Did you fall?"

"Yeah. Over my sisterīs out-stretched feet", he murmured.

"What?" she said, a bit confused. "I don't think I understand."

Lyle dismissed it with a waving of his hand. "Forget it. - So, Mrs Andrews. Do you have good news?"

Again, she smiled broadly. "Yes. It's perfect. Wonderful. It's..."

"I always knew you are a professional in this regard", he stopped her, impatiently. "I heard a lot about you before I entrusted you with this rather 'delicate' subject."

"Yes," she answered with proud in her voice. "My agency has helped a lot of people. That's what we are for."

"So....?" Lyle said and tried peeking around her. "Do you have...?"

"Yes!" she smiled. "Right around the corner. I just know you'll already feel better in just a moment."

Mrs Andrews immediately rushed to the door of his hospital-room and came back only a second later, pulling something after her.

"Here!" she said happily. "I brought you..."

"Something chinese!" he ended her sentence and bared his teeth while smiling.

The asian woman at Mrs Andrew`s side frowned just a little bit.


End.