Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters; I'm just borrowing them. Don't sue. Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE READ NOTE BELOW!!!!!!!!!

Note: I would just like to forewarn all readers that parts of this story are exactly, verbatim, taken from another one of my stories: What the Future Holdslfs unlocker code. I was writing WTFH and thought it would be a good idea to elaborate on the Pre-pretender years; it was a story in itself! So, if you didn't like the Pre-Pretender parts of my other story, I suggest you turn back now. If you liked it then please READ ON!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past."
-George Orwell - 1984
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who Controls The Past...
By Wandering Spirit







"... How did we end up like this?" Jarod asked Miss Parker.

"Like what?"

"Alone."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Centre
1970

A young, distraught Miss Parker hurried through the bowels of the Centre, desperately searching for her companion. She instinctively headed toward the direction of the Sim Lab, where she knew he would be at the time of day. She burst through the door to the lab, and Sydney, who had been intently observing Jarod, whirled around to confront the intruder.

"Oh God, Jarod," Miss Parker sobbed.

"Miss Parker, what wrong?" Jarod asked, worried, as he abruptly forgot about the simulation and hurried to his friend.

"Jarod!" Sydney admonished. His expression mellowed, however, when he noticed the look of pain on the young lady's face.

"I need to talk to you," Miss Parker requested, desperately. "Not here though. Somewhere else. Hurry," she spoke rapidly as she pulled Jarod in the direction of the door.

"I'll be back Sydney. Don't worry," Jarod called as he exited the room.

He saw Sydney turn toward the observation camera and say something, his remark accompanied by a frustrated sigh.

Miss Parker slowed down as she approached one of the many hidden alcoves in the building.

"What is it, Miss Parker? Why are you so sad?" Jarod wondered.

"It's Daddy," she explained in a hushed voice. "Jarod, he told me I couldn't see you anymore. He told me that I'd be punished if I even tried to get anywhere near you. He threatened to-...Jarod, I don't wanna leave you. I can't leave you. You're my best friend, and I care about you so much. I wouldn't be able to live without you, Jarod. I can't imagine what my life would be like without you. Jarod, please help me. Think of something. I don't want him to do this. I don't know what to do."

"Shh," Jarod soothed as he pulled his friend close in a warm embrace, allowing her to sob on his shoulder. I won't let anything happen. I promise."

Miss Parker believed him. She knew that he'd do anything to protect her and vice versa. But she also knew how delicate the situation had become. He wouldn't let anyone hurt me, she thought. But what if he couldn't do anything to help me?

"I care about you so much," Jarod continued. "Without you there's no reason for me to be alive."

This only made Miss Parker cry harder.

She felt him kiss the top of her head, and she looked up at him, her eyes sparkling with tears.

"I-I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," Jarod replied

They both gazed into each other's eyes as they slowly leaned in, prepared for their second true kiss. With their lips inches apart, a gruff voice was heard from down the hall.

"I told her to wait in my office! No doubt she ran off with that lab rat! Find her and bring her to me!" Mr. Parker ordered.

Miss Parker's breath quickened in panic as she listened to her father's words.

"Jarod, I have to go now," Miss Parker said, sadly.

He nodded.

"Be careful," he instructed. "If you need anything-"

"I promise," Miss Parker interrupted.

Jarod turned to leave and felt Miss Parker grab his arm. Before he knew what was happening she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, turned around, and disappeared down the dark corridor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day, after her conversation with Jarod, young Miss Parker sat on the couch in her father's office emotionally exhausted. All she could think about was Jarod. She thought back to a discussion that she had with her mother, about a week before her death.

'Will I ever find someone to love, like you found Daddy?' she had asked her mother.

'I think you will,' her mother had replied.

She thought of that conversation often, especially in light of recent events.

"I've found that someone," Miss Parker whispered to herself. Then the tears came.

"Angel!" her father called as he stepped into the room. "You're a Parker. It's about time you started acting like one. Stop crying. You're a disgrace to the Parker name!"

"Daddy, I want to see Jarod," Miss Parker demanded as she stood up, gathering all the courage she could muster.

"I'm afraid that's out of the question."

"But, Daddy...don't you want me to be happy?" Miss Parker inquired.

"I know what's best for my Angel, and your...'relationship' with that...freak, that science experiment of unacceptable!" Mr. Parker growled.

"Mamma would want me to be happy," she protested. "She said so herself. She still wants that for me! She told me-"

"I don't give a damn about what you mother thought!" Mr. Parker exploded as he approached his daughter, causing her to shrink back in fear and fall onto the couch. "Your mother is dead! She can't influence you anymore! From now on, you will do as I say, and if you don't obey me you will suffer the consequences!"

"No, Daddy! I'm going to see Jarod!" she protested as she began to stand up.

"How dare you defy me!" Mr. Parker spat as he shoved his daughter back down onto the sofa.

"Let me see him! You can't take me away from him, Daddy! I love him!" Miss Parker screamed as she stood and struck her father across the face.

"Why you little..." Mr. Parker threatened, outraged that his own daughter would strike him.

"Daddy, I'm sorry!" Miss Parker gasped. "I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was doing! Please forgive me!"

"You little bitch! You're just as defiant as your mother!" Mr. Parker growled as he hit her.

Miss Parker collapsed on the couch, facedown, with a grunt.

"Only she was never stupid enough to fight back," he added.

Miss Parker slowly rose, her crystal blue eyes sparkling with hatred and tears of sorrow.

"Mamma wanted me to be with him," Miss Parker declared. "She planned to take up away from here so we could be together and-"

"Your mother was delusional! She had no idea what she was talking about half the time. She was sick, Angel. You shouldn't believe a word she said. It's a bunch of rubbish! All that happily ever after business is never going to happen, Angel. You don't deserve it," Mr. Parker sneered.

"I deserve it a hell of a lot more than you do!" Miss Parker retorted.

She braced herself for the pain.

She felt the rough hands firmly grip her shoulders. She felt a spray of his saliva on her face, inches from his, as he ranted and shook her. She felt her heels lift from the ground as she was thrown across the room.
She felt her head strike the rough edge of the thick glass-top desk.
"Jarod, Mamma...help me," she whimpered
Then she felt numbness before even falling to the floor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarod was busy running another simulation, but he couldn't concentrate. His thoughts kept wandering back to Miss Parker.

"Sydney, do you think she'll be all right?" Jarod asked his mentor.

"Who?"

"Miss Parker."

Sydney sighed. "Jarod, you have to concentrate. We're not getting any work done."

"I'm sorry, Sydney. But I-..." Jarod was about to say how much he loved Miss Parker, but he quickly remembered the cameras watching him. "I'm just worried."