Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

The Challenge as presented at the Fan Fiction Challenge at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffchallange/

Oh wow, is that really Jarod in Miss. Parker’s bed?

· · What's he doing there?

· · How'd this happen?

· · Is this just a dream?

· · If so, whose dream is it?

· · Miss P looks like she is a cross between sad and mad. Why does she look like this?

· · Why don't you tell me?

Anyone who has decided to participate MUST make it clear that it is a response to Mickey's Pretender Picture Challenge. Please say which challenge this is a response to since I have so many challenges. (This one is THE BEDROOM challenge.)

This story is also available in spanish: iAvalancha!arabic nokia music video clips



ALASKAN WILDERNESS

Miss Parker stepped out of the log cabin and as the difference in temperature registered she shivered. “Damn it!” She grumbled. What the hell Jarod was doing up here was beyond her. More importantly what was she doing in this God forsaken place all alone?

As she scanned the winter wonderland she registered a movement. She focused and couldn’t believe her eyes. “Jarod” She whispered and set off after him.

The lethal game of Jarod running and Parker chasing unfolded with deadly intent in the Alaskan wilderness. “Jarod stop!” She barked finally and pointed her gun at him.

He stopped and slowly turned. “Good morning Miss Parker.”

“Don’t give me that!” she cocked the gun.

“Parker this is avalanche country even you are not that stupid to fire that thing out here.” He told her.

She flicked the firearm “Move.”

He moved in the opposite direction. “Jarod don’t test me.” She warned. He continued walking away.

She fired.

As Jarod hit the ground and his blood began to colour the snow she heard a rumble. Hypnotized by both the crimson snow and the closing rumble Parker was torn. Finally the sound penetrated her fog. Her brain screamed AVALANCHE!

She began to run at a right angle to the rampaging snow and barely made it to the tree cover. There she watched in horror as Jarod got swept up in the landslide of snow. Finally it was over and nature presented her calm cool and collected face.

Parker could not do the same. “JAROD!” She screamed and dived in to try to find him.

+ + +

An hour later she was still searching frantically. She was on the verge of tears from her frustrations.

· · Frustration at coming so close to catching him.

· · Frustration at nature snatching him away.

· · Frustration at contemplating not having him in her life.

As the frustrations grew to an unbearable level she touched something with a different texture to the ice. She quickly brushed it aside and it revealed a piece of cloth. She began to dig and after another half hour she had dug Jarod out. She cried from relief and released frustration.

It took her another hour to carry/drag him to the cabin. It was now nearly three hours since he had been exposed to the cold. She wasn’t even sure he was alive.

She was exhausted but she had to elevate the man’s temperature! In one last Herculean effort she got him onto the bed. The log fire was low and she proceeded to throw a few logs on. They were both soaked to the bone and so began to strip him down. In five minutes she had him naked and wrapped in a blanket.

“Florence Nightingale I am not.” She grumbled as she found the first aid kit and a kitchen knife and proceeded to dig out her bullet from his back. Once it was out and the wound bandaged she relaxed and instantly began to tremble.

She was cold and wet and tired. The trembling worsened.

She gazed at Jarod looking so comfortable in the bed and decided. She stripped and placed her clothes with his to dry before the fire. Just before joining him under the blanket she tossed a few more logs on the fire. Then she slipped in only to find that he as still cold so she snuggled up to him to provide additional heat.

“You die and I’ll kill you.” She whispered.

“OK” He mumbled.

+ + +

Jarod awoke and the pain in his left shoulder instantly manifested. He felt rather than saw the weight on his right side. Slowly he opened his eyes and surveyed his surroundings. He was in bed with Parker! The dark haired beauty was draped over him in a deep sleep. He quickly scanned the room. They were in a log cabin Parker had shot him. He spotted their clothes before the fireplace and estimated that the fire would burn for another two hours before it needed attending too.

He returned his attention to the woman next to him. She smelt great and looked even better. He tightened his hold on her and wallowed in the unique experience. For a split second the fortifications around his heart dropped. He placed a gentle kiss on her head and whispered, “I love you Parker. God help me but I do.” Self-conscious of the declaration he coughed and the battlements went back up.

He relaxed with her in his arms and went back to sleep. The pain in his arm didn’t feel so bad now.

Parker had been up before Jarod and was instantly aware that he had awoken as he fidgeted. Then she heard him declare his love. She almost reacted but decided against it. She felt him relax and fall back asleep. For a few minutes she indulged a fantasy of being married to this man. Then dismissed it and she too fell back asleep.

+ + +

Jarod awoke again and this time the fire needed attending too. Reluctantly he disentangled himself from Parker and headed for the pile of logs. When he returned he realized that she was awake and watching him. “Didn’t mean to wake you.” He apologized.

She said nothing as she watched him. Parker had awoken the instant he had left her side. Somehow the bed felt cold without him. She felt alone in the bed so she had sat up and watched Jarod as he moved about the room.

He placed the logs on the fire and the heat began to rise again. Was it the logs or was it he?

Finally Parker spoke. “I’d never regarded you as …” She started again. “I always thought of you as Jarod on the run. The Pretender to be returned to the Center.”

“And now?” He probed.

She soaked in his naked form. “Now… it seems different.”

He reached for his undergarments and put his pants on. He remained barefooted and bareback. Parker closed her eyes. This was worse! His being half dressed made him even more desirable. She braced herself and stepped out from under the quilt. She couldn’t remain pinned to the bed with Jarod half dressed.

The sudden movement of Parker casting the quilt aside startled him. Her shapely form emerged. She was well tanned with not a tan line to be seen. It was his turn to admire the view and he stared unabashedly as all Parker put on was his shirt which acted as a mini dress. He groaned.

“You ok?” she had heard him. She didn’t know it was pain or pleasure causing the reaction.

“My arm.” He lied.

“Sit!” she ordered. She examined the wound and changed the dressing. “Better?”

He nodded. “You shot me.” He accused.

“I warned you.” She defended.

“I told you not to.”

“That you did.” She smiled. He stared. “What!” She snapped.

“You should smile more. It becomes you.” He complimented her.

“I smile.”

“I’m not referring to that Vampire snarl you use so well.” He replied. “I mean smile!”

She changed the topic. “What the hell are you doing up here anyway.”

He contemplated her question and decided to be honest and not run some line by her. “We’ve known each other a long time. The relationship if you can call it that has waxed and waned…”

“Whoa! I asked a simple question Jarod.”

He nodded. “I came up here to seriously contemplate dropping out of the chase.”

Parker had expected any answer but that. “Explain 'Dropping out of the chase' does that mean a return to the Centre?”

“Hell NO!” On that he was adamant. “I’m tired. I found my brother although he’s now dead. I’ve also found my parents and sister. If I choose I could go to ground and you’d never find me… and I so choose.”