Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Pretender characters are property of MTM, TNT, NBC, WB, Steve, Craig and all the others.

The Second Hand Forsaken


[Truth]

She taught him the game as children. It was an innocent way to pass the time in quiet corners and made for easy laughs. But for every rotation on the clock, with every tick of the second hand, the innocence slowly slipped and they ran out of harmless questions.

‘Do you love me, Jarod?’

He tried, but he’d run out of answers.

[Dare]

She introduced the next play as teenagers. It added an element of danger and excitement her life outside their quiet corners lacked. But for every misadventure, every near-miss, every run-in that could have resulted in her father’s anger, the safety net fell, and they ran out of harmless dares.

‘Kiss me’

He tried, but Sydney’s voice called him back and he fled.

[Double Dare]

She saw him again when they were twenty, and whispered the words in his ear. It sent shivers down his spine, and in the dark corners, he could not ignore her anymore. But for every secretive touch and light caress, the consequences steadily grew with the second hand of the clock, and they ran out of secrets.

‘Answer me’

He tried, but his kiss was the only response he could give her.

[Torture]

He waved at her when they were thirty-five, her on the roof, him fleeing in a cab. It frustrated her to no end, and she blamed Sydney for missing him. She’d abandoned the corners a long time ago. And for every close call, for every time she was just one step behind him; every time her outstretched hand to reach him fell and she was left with empty air, her life slowly drained and tomorrow mattered less.

‘I can’t do this anymore’

He tried, but he couldn’t hear her cry.

[Kiss]

He leaned forward slowly, all of the danger and innocence the second hand had kept moving backwards for them. It never happened, as time would have it and she pulled away, retreating to the lonely corners of her mind. But despite, he’d gotten through; he wanted to believe and with that breakthrough spilled through the iron doors of her heart fear.

‘It’s just the way the damn story goes, Jarod’

He tried, but he couldn’t rewrite their lives.

[Promise]

She introduced the game as children and they played it throughout their lives. It was no longer innocent, but the exhilaration that danger brought along had also vanished, and now they were just tired. Time would betray them: his legs would tire, her hair would grey and in the end, they would be the ruin of the other.

‘I will catch you’

He tried, but not even he could run forever.

+ + +

end