Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi guys! Thanks for all the wonderful comments you have given us, means a lot. Hope you like this chapter! :D

 

 


Grace walked into Jarod’s cell, seeing him on the bed he had pulled over to hide under the camera. He still didn’t like them, didn’t like the constant watching. She moved over and sat on the end of the cot, “Good morning Jarod.” He had been behaving since the day he performed the first SIM, the day he knew if he didn’t Sydney would be hurt and killed. It pained her to see him so depressed, so miserable, but he was working and that made her boss very happy.

"Good morning,” He responded dutifully.

“How are you going today Jarod?” She asked, folding her legs underneath her.

"Fine,” He said with a heavy sigh.

It had been three weeks since the first SIM he had done without argument and fine was the last thing he was. “Did you enjoy the warm shower this morning?” She asked, not only had he earnt himself a bed and bedding, but towels for after his showers. The simulation he performed yesterday had earnt him the warm water. With each passing day, with each SIM he performed, with each million he brought in, he was being treated better. If this kept up, soon he might be allowed out of this cell and into one that has a permanent bed, desk and a chair.

He hated that his SIM's were buying him creature comforts. It just made him feel even more guilty about what he was allowing himself to do. What was expected however, was gratitude. "Yes, thank you, it was very good." He felt like he was whoring his soul for things like blankets and warm water. Refusing the privileges however, would border on rudeness, and these people seemed obsessed with manners.

Gracie grinned broadly. “I thought you might like it. Since all your burns have healed, a warm shower would have been very nice.” There was no doubt that Gracie thought she had done well getting him the warm water and she showed it in her eyes and smile. It had been a bit of a saga trying to get the warm water on for when he was allowed to shower, but it was well worth the effort. She knew that after a month of ice cold showers, a warm one would be pure luxury.

He was more or less fully healed now, but the wounds inside were still fresh, and he had nightmares every night about what he was doing, what would happen if he didn’t do it. He barely slept anymore, only just enough for him to survive, and he was having constant nightmares of dying in the outback now, which just added to his usual repertoire of night-time movies he enjoyed oh so much.

“Come on Jarod. Let’s get to work. Lunch will be served after you have completed it.” She said getting up, speaking softly and sadly. She hadn’t meant for him to get so disheartened like this.

He stood up and straightened up the little bed that they had given him, barely big enough to fit his lengthy frame. He missed Sydney terribly, being able to talk to him, have his reassurance that he had made the right choice. He knew she wanted to try and help, but he could barely bring himself to look at her anymore.

“Come on Jarod.” She said softly, a hand on the small of his back and leading him forward. “Do you want to see Bailey after work today? She wants to show you Walter. He has gotten big since the first time you saw him.” She tried to get something out of him, a smile, a happy word, anything. She had been trying so hard to make him happy and just couldn’t. Each time she gave him something special, made a lame joke, told him about what happened with Bailey that made her smile, he just said the perfect thing back a project is meant to say.

"Sure Miss Gracie, that would be just fine,” He told her softly.

Gracie stopped him just outside his room and looked him in the eye. “Tell me how to make it better for you Jarod.” She pleaded. She found herself waking up depressed in the morning, continually getting Jarod’s emotions and knew how bad it was here for him. But whatever she did, nothing worked. He just got worse and worse each day that passed.

"You already know the only answer to that question, and there is no point in talking about it. I am here, I am working, it is enough. Do not ask anything else of me." If he remained here for the next 50 years, he could never be 'happy' or learn to like it the way she wanted him too. She wanted him to accept it, like it, and that was something he knew he could never do. In time, he knew he would learn to accept, but he could never, would never like it here, no matter how nice and comfortable they made it for him.

Gracie looked sadly down to the ground. “Yes of course Jarod. You are right, it is enough that you are working. I shouldn’t want to try to make you happy or even to see you smile even once.” She mumbled, upset now even more then she was when she first entered the cell.

He forced a smile for her. "Happy now Miss Gracie?" He tried to behave as she wanted him to.

She looked up at him and blinked back the tears. “Don’t be sarcastic Jarod.” She sighed heavily. “I just miss seeing you how you were before. I never knew how much working would change you. I know I never knew the real you, but I caught glimpses of it. I can feel, see what sort of person you normally are and I miss not having the chance to get to know you better.”

"I am not being sarcastic Miss Gracie, I am trying to do what you want, be the good project you want me to be. You wanted a smile, I gave you one. Projects obey owners and handlers, there was no sarcasm involved."

Gracie looked at him and shook her head. “Forget it.” She said in a harsh whisper and started to walk, knowing Jarod would follow because of the men behind them.

The group moved forward and Jarod knew he had upset her, but couldn’t bring himself to care. He knew that people were most likely dying because of what he was doing, and hurting one girl’s feelings seemed insignificant, considering she was the girl that was making him do so much of this. There was conflict within her, he could feel it, but he simply did not have the will to try and do anything about it at the moment. Escape still seemed like an impossibility, and he had seen so little of the structure that he had been unable to come up with any kind of plan at all.

Collins was no longer needed on the project, it was waste of money since Jarod never spoke to him. She sat on the desk, watching him as she did every other day. She watched as the horror spread over his face at what was asked of him, watched as his mind and soul fought, logic over feelings. Do it, kill these innocent people or lose Sydney. She watched as feelings overtook and he did as he was told and performed the SIM, desperate to keep Sydney safe. When he had finished, she read it over. “I’ll send this out. The sweepers will take you back to your cell for lunch, I’ll come collect you afterwards if you would like to see Bailey.”

Any break from the boredom of the cell was welcome. "Please Miss Gracie, that would be good." Although he half suspected this was some kind of move on her part to manipulate him again. He hated the time just after the SIM’s. He was morose and full of self-loathing for what he had just done, so any respite would be a welcome relief.

She nodded and got up, taking the file, knowing he would be back in his cell as soon as she left the room. There was never any mistake on his food anymore. After his first breakfast he was not given, Grace had spoken with Jarod’s personal chef to make sure each meal was to get to him without a doubt. Jarod barely touched his lunch half the time, being vegemite sandwiches, still thinking they were horrid.

Gracie dropped the files off as she had been doing for the last fortnight and went to see Bailey. She opened the door to see her on her bed crying, “Bailey, what’s wrong?” She asked. Grace was instantly worried and afraid, seeing Bailey crying. It was a rare occurrence with this child, and when it did happen, it normally meant something bad had just been done.

"Grace,” She said, her bottom lip quivering, as she scooted back up the bed, away from her sister.

“Honey.” Gracie aid softly, slowly moving over to her and sitting on the bed, not touching her, wondering why she was so scared. It hurt her deeply that her little sister seemed so scared of her. Bailey was a better empath then she was, only in the way of reading another’s emotions, and knew how to keep things hidden. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

She moved further away from her, having changed her mind now about talking to her. "Go away Gracie."

“No.” She said gently, “What happened?” She asked her again, letting her face and voice let Bailey know hoe much this was worrying her, scaring her.

Bailey shook her head and hugged herself. "No,” She whispered, trying to make herself smaller.

“Bailey, I am not leaving you alone if you are this upset. You know you can talk to me. It’s ok to tell me what is wrong.” She pushed gently. She didn’t want to read Baileys mind, but if she didn’t tell her, Grace would.

"Nothing is wrong,” She told her, trying to stop the tears. She wasn’t supposed to tell, and she wasn’t going to.

“Don’t make me read you Bailey. Please sweetheart, you can tell me, I won’t say anything. Did you get into trouble?” She asked, trying to guess what was wrong. But something was nagging at the back of her mind. This all seemed familiar to Grace.

She shook her head and then nodded. She wasn’t really sure if she was in trouble or not, but it had sure felt like a punishment.

“Did you do something wrong?” She pushed ever so gently, shifting slightly towards her.

"I don’t know,” She wailed miserably.

“What happened?” She asked Bailey yet again, worried sick over her behaviour. Bailey had never not spoken to her when she was upset, she always told her straight away.

"Not supposed to tell. I promised,” She whispered, her breath coming in shallow hiccups.

“Bailey, you can tell me. I won’t tell any of the handlers or owners. You know that, you can trust me. I want to make it better for you. I don’t like seeing you upset like this.” Grace pushed gently, her fear evident now as she begged Bailey to speak with her.

She shook her head frantically, and backed away again.

Gracie had had enough and reached forward and grabbed her, holding her tightly. If she wasn’t going to tell, that was Bailey’s choice, but she would not let her be this upset without some sort of comfort.

Bailey flinched at the touch, trembling but not pulling away. It was forbidden to pull away.

Gracie held her tightly, rocking her slightly, brushing her hair back and whispering words of comfort to her. She was terrified and Grace just didn’t know why. She knew she had promised Bailey never to use her talents on her, but she didn’t know what else to do. So she closed her eyes for a moment and got a small glimpse, hoping if she could start, Bailey would talk to her. Grace gasped when she saw Bailey in a room with Mr Mathews watching as he ordered Bailey to undress. She shook her head no, that one small image was enough to tell her what must have happen, “Did Mr Mathews touch you?” She asked in a whisper, her eyes burning brightly. She was going to castrate that son of a bitch.

She shook her head weakly. She wasn’t supposed to tell.

“Don’t lie to my Bailey.” She told her, still rocking her. She was struggling to keep her emotions in check and locked away from her little sister.

Her eyes filled with tears at the gentle command. She had never lied to her before, and she didn’t want to now. "He said I can’t tell Gracie, and he is an owner, you are only a handler."

“But if he has touched you Bailey, you must tell me. I am your sister, you must do what I say above all else.” She told her gently, looking down into her eyes.

Bailey knew that wasn’t true, and shook her head again.

“Bailey, I need you to do what I tell you right now. Go get changed into some clean clothes. Grab a bag, put a few changes of clothes in and put Walter in, nice and safe. Stay in here and wait for me, you mustn’t leave this room. Am I understood?” She asked urgently.

It scared her to no end Bailey would not talk to her. She was lying black and blue to Grace, and she had never done that. She had always done what Gracie had told her before anyone else. She would not let anyone touch her sister how they had been touching her all these years.

The audacity of Mr Mathews to touch her sister like that was beyond Grace. And even if it took her ten years, she would make him pay for all he was worth. Her mind was speeding along, a million thoughts a second. She had to get Bailey out of here, get her away safely. Jarod’s words of wrong and right touching echoing in the back of her mind, and right this instant, it couldn’t be clearer about what was wrong.

"Yes Gracie,” She said, wiping her nose. "Am I in trouble now Gracie?"

“Oh no darlin’. You are never in trouble with me.” She gave a kiss on the head and wiped the tears away. “Just do as I say, make sure Walter is nice and safe in your bag and wait till I come back for you ok?” She asked, letting her go and getting off the bed. “I need you to be very grown up for the moment Bailey and do everything I tell you to do no questions asked.”

She looked up at her, knowing that Gracie knew she lied, and lying wasn’t allowed. "Yes Gracie, I will be good for you,” She sniffled, worried that she had upset her. Normally she could tell, but was too upset now to even try to read her.

“Good girl.” She said, “Go get changed I’ll be back real soon.” She said and stormed out of her room.

Going into her room, she packed a bag with the few things she needed and loved the most, setting it aside, not sure if she could even get her bag out. She walked out of her room the bag by her door and walked as calmly as she could to Jarod’s cell.

Yanking open the door, she stormed in, her rage on her face, her fury in her voice. “On your feet now!” Grace barked loudly, knowing that he would not disobey her right now. He had never seen her this angry before, and she hoped he knew to stay out of the line of fire or he would be severely damaged.

Jarod looked up at her and jumped to his feet as quickly as he could. He didn’t dare ask what was wrong, but he knew somehow he was at the centre of it. Standing before her, he wondered if the SIM had gone badly. He was doing his best to stretch them out, take longer than was required, not putting in his best effort by a long shot.

She moved out of view of the camera, “We are going.” She said, grabbing his arm painfully tight and hauling him forward.

His depression, his obedience, his pain had been weighing heavily on her since he was first brought in. Since the day she had taken Jarod, he had comforted her when she was upset, talked to her like a real person. He had tried to get her to see how bad it was in here, how wrong it was for these people to keep her and her sister in captivity. But Grace had been stubborn, had relied on her training. But after this brutally cruel act on such an innocent small child, she would not stay here a second longer.

"Going where?” He whispered back. He was not about to let her stake him outside again.

Gracie ignored him, hand tightly wrapped around his, she led him up to her room and paused just long enough to grab the bag. She knew it was risky, but she just couldn’t part with her things. Photos of Wil and Jon and her, some clothes, and small things she had kept that Bailey had made her when she was a small child. She stormed down the hall, bag over her shoulder and resting on her hip, and stopped outside Bailey’s room.

Jarod balked as he realised they were going to her sister's room. Something was terribly wrong, and he didn’t think this would turn out well for him. It seldom did.

She left him standing at the door and walked in quickly, “Did you do what I asked?” She asked Bailey, seeing her changed and was glad for it. She didn’t want her wearing the clothes he had touched her in. Grace wanted to burn them but didn’t have the time.

"Yes Gracie," Bailey whisperer, very afraid now.

“Grab your bag, careful not to hurt Walter and come with me.” She said, grabbing her hand after she picked up the bag and walked her out, “Come.” She barked viciously at Jarod.

Bailey held her hand tightly, very afraid now. She was very careful of Walter, but had never seen Gracie this upset before.

Jarod followed nervously, wondering at the lack of guards. Even now, weeks since his escape attempt, he was never out of the cell without his two shadows. "Miss Gracie, what is happening?” He asked softly, not liking this.

“Shut it.” She snapped at him, in no mood to be comforting him, especially after how he was before the SIM. She led them to one of the rarely used stair cases and walked in, and started up the steps.

Jarod looked around as they made their march into unfamiliar areas to him. He had never seen her this upset before and he wisely decided to keep his questions to himself for the moment.

Bailey was still too upset over her meeting with Mr Matthews to be reading anyone properly, all she new was she had upset Gracie and that they were doing something they shouldn’t be doing now.

She walked up the flight of stairs, not stoping her quick pace for one second. It was so rarely used that there was dirty and dust about, half the lights no longer working. It was so unused she doubted even most of the owners knew it led to an exit. Getting to ground level, she opened the door and walked them out, not stoping once.

It always surprised her how easy it was to walk out of this place. If you knew of the less used exits then it was a piece of cake. The security was nowhere as high as other competing facilities, mainly because the owners knew once you got out, you could never escape to safety. The terrain was too harsh, too cruel for anyone to survive if they didn’t know what they were doing.

Jarod shook his head at the blindingly bright light and the blast of heat. He had learnt his lesson last time and was not falling for this again. "No,” He said softly, fighting his natural urge to run.

"Gracie?" Bailey asked in confusion. "Why are we outside? Is it time to let Walter go?

“No not yet Bailey. He is still too little, you should no that.” She said softly, turning to Jarod, “Let’s go Jarod, I do not have time for this, none of us do.” She ordered, grabbing his arm with her free hand and pulled him forward. She wasn’t prepared for this, Jarod’s feet had no shoes on, Bailey or herself not properly dressed.

"I know that Gracie," Bailey said hotly, she was not stupid, but she couldn’t figure out why they would be outside with Jarod all by themselves.

Jarod pulled from her grasp. "Are you insane?” He hissed, finally moving out of his depressed stupor.

“Door is right there Jarod, you can go back inside and live the life you so hate. Or you can come with us, but I do not have the time for your stupid little hissy fits.” She growled ruthlessly, trying desperately hard not to take too much of her anger out on him.

"You are running?” He asked incredulously, looking at the little girl by her side.

“No. WE are.” She said turning to face him. “I am not waiting for your decision. They will realise we are gone very soon and we need at least half an hour head start.” She took the bag from Bailey and slung it over her shoulder, being careful of Walter and her own bag. “I don’t really care if you stay or come. I am worried about Bailey but either way we are going NOW.”

He was completely unprepared for this, looking down at his bare feet and remembering with horror the last time. But he knew he would rather die trying than to willingly go back. "Why don’t you give me that then, we will move much faster." He didn’t ask her yet why she was going, or what Bailey had to do with it, he guessed there would be plenty of time for questions later.

“No, you take Bailey. We are going to go for a nice little run.” She said, passing Bailey across to Jarod.

He bent down and scooped her up. "You up for a horsy ride?” He asked her, trying to put her at ease while he kicked his mind back to first gear. He had been losing himself in a stupor now for weeks, trying to shut out the reality that his life had become, trying not to remember all that he had lost or left behind.

She didn’t know what a horsy ride was but knew that Gracie wanted them to hurry up so she agreed.

"Alright then," Jarod said, "Hold on tight around my neck, and I won’t let you go."

She let him pick her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around his neck, terrified of touching him. But the feelings she was getting from Gracie told her that she just better do it.

Jarod waited until she was positioned and looked at Grace. "Lead the way." He looked around, wondering how far he was now from where he had made his first attempt. He scanned the horizon, and could find no discernible features to tell him he was either far or close from it. He only hoped she knew what she was doing, or they were all going to die out her, wandering around like idiots.

“Let’s go.” Gracie ordered and holding the bag carefully she took off in a sprint. She knew exactly where she was going, she just needed to get there before anyone realised they were gone. The soft breeze would blow away their footprints, helping to hide their location.

It was hot and dry. None of them were dressed to be running across the desert in the middle of the afternoon. Grace barely had enough energy to keep her legs moving, more so with the extra kilos from the bags. But she didn’t stop once, ignoring the burning on her skin and of her muscles, ignoring the desperate need for a drink and just a few minutes to rest.

Jarod followed behind her, ignoring the burning of his feet. He would have to worry about that later. "Hold on tight honey,” He told Bailey as he made his way forward. He hoped whatever she had in mind was close by, because neither of them would be able to keep up this pace for very long.

Bailey nodded and leant her face against his back, trying to keep it from the bright light, her eyes squeezed tightly closed against it. She didn’t like the hot and she didn’t like the brightness either. But she held on, not wanting to fall.

Just over half an hour later, Gracie could barley stand up and dropped to her knees. “Here stop here.” She panted heavily. She wasn’t far enough away for her liking but here was going to have to do for now.

Jarod dropped down beside her, not in any better shape, letting Bailey climb off. "Please tell my you have water in that bag,” He panted. His feet were burnt badly and he knew that they would be in bad shape pretty soon. He started to rip the lower part of his pants off to wrap them in to offer some kind of protection.

“Don’t worry about water yet.” Grace said still breathing heavily, her whole body covered in sweat.

"Gracie?" Bailey asked timidly.

She gently put the bag down, checking on the possum quickly, glad to see it was alright. Brushing the sand away a little, she opened the trap door all the way. The sun light would light the stairs enough to get down to the first room and the light switch. “Get her down there now Jarod.” She ordered, handing him the bags. She knew once the door was shut it would be invisible from land and air, sand having been glued on to the trap door years ago so it wasn’t visible. She looked at Bailey, “Not now Bailey,” She said gently.

Bailey nodded, trying to fight back her tears. She wanted to go home. It was hot and sticky out here and she didn’t like it at all.

Jarod did as he was told without argument, taking Bailey's hand. "Come on, we can talk later,” He soothed her, moving down the staircase carefully, thankful to be out of the blistering sun.

Gracie waited until she saw the light switched on and looked around and in the air. When she was satisfied no one had followed her yet, she walked down, shutting the door and dead bolting it. She moved into the small first room with Jarod and Bailey and crouched down in front of her, “What did you wan to say Bailey?”

Bailey hung her head. "When are we going home?” She asked in a pathetically small voice.

“We’re not Bailey. Not ever. That is not your home now.” She whispered, knowing exactly how she felt.

Jarod's heart broke for Bailey as he heard her. He did not understand what had happened, but he would spend the rest of his life if he had to trying to show her how to live in the real world. What it was like to be free.

"Was I bad Grace? Don’t they want me anymore?"

“Oh honey.” She said softly, pulling her into a hug and holding her. “No you went bad Bailey. Of course they want you, but I want you even more, your my sister, and I won’t let what happened today happen again.” She picked her up on her hip, “Jarod get the bags.” She said, leading them through another door and into the old house she had had fixed up.

Jarod lifted the bags, careful of the animal and followed her in. If he had known about shelter like this, they never would have caught him the first time. "What is this place?"

Bailey buried her face in Gracie's neck and held onto her tightly.

It was an old underground house, one of the few out here. She had found it one day when she was younger, had stumbled quite literally on the trap door hidden in the sand that led down underground. They had let her out for the day to wonder around, after her having completed her work better then anyone could have thought. She had kept quite about it, researched it. It wasn’t on any recent maps, only the ones dated back to the 1930’s. Grace had slowly been paying for people to fix it up for her, from out of state so there were no links and it could be used one day if she needed it.

“My house. No one knows it even exists.” She said leading them into the kitchen. She had had every part of the old house redone, so it all worked again. She had never believed when she was told stories of people living under the ground in houses that were buried like Gandi, instead of above ground where the house could be seen.

She sat Bailey down on the chair, “You want some water Bailey? I bet Walter would like some and a big hug from his mummy.”

Bailey nodded, very thirsty and moved to take Walter from Jarod. "Are you okay Walter?” She asked, holding him carefully, trying to soothe his trembling as she held him against her chest, whispering to him.

Jarod looked around in amazement. "You planned this the whole time?” He asked her. All her talk about home and belonging, and she had been planning this the whole time. He was so furious with her at the moment that he could have easily strangled her.

Gracie moved to the cupboards. She hadn’t risked running water, or electricity, not wanting anything to be tracked back, the lights running on batteries. She pulled out three glasses and a 20 litre bottle of water and poured three glasses and handed one to Bailey and Jarod. “No Jarod.” She shook her head. “If I did, it would have gone a lot smoother.”

Bailey took it and drunk it down quickly, spilling some down her shirt. She left a little bit of water for Walter and settled down to make sure he was okay, ignoring the grown ups for a little while.

"This house, the supplies, you must have known you would need it." He took the water and sipped on it gratefully, taking it slowly.

“Yes, but not like this. I have had this place for easily 7 or 8 years.”

"Why, if that was your home and you were so happy there?” He asked totally confused by everything.

Gracie shrugged, “Always helps to have a back up plan doesn’t it?” She asked drinking her drink and pouring another one for Jarod and Bailey, handing Bailey the new glass of water. “Are you alright to stay in here for a moment Bailey? I don’t want you leaving that table alright?” She ordered her.

"Yes Gracie," Bailey nodded, glad to be told what to do. She was hot and tired and most of all scared, but it was important that she looked after Walter because he was scared too.

"So what is this plan?" Jarod asked when she came back. "They will be looking for all of us by now. They found me quickly enough."

She walked Jarod out of the kitchen and down the hall slightly into the lounge and sat on the sofa. “We always knew where you were Jarod, you are a foreigner, you stood no chance despite me making myself believe because you were a genius you could do it.”

He closed his eyes at that revelation and then followed her, sitting down next to her. “Do you have something for my feet?” He asked. They were swollen and bleeding. "How long can you stay here for? And how do you propose to get out?"

“Stay there for a moment.” She said, getting up and moving down towards the bathroom. She had a full stock of supplies, collected over time. Grace grabbed the first aid kit and came back, handing it to Jarod. “No one knows about this place. The last time it was on a map was in the 1930’s, Gandi hasn’t been here for that long. They don’t know of it. There is too much land to do a full sweep inch by inch, so chances are of them finding this is buckleys. Not to mention we come out on the south side and the main used entrances and exits are north. They will start looking at that end, thinking we got out there. And you cannot see the trap door on foot unless you were looking for it and air surveillance doesn’t stand a chance.”

He took the kit from her, wincing as he examined his feet. "I need to clean them. I know water must be scarce, but I have sand in them. What is this place, some kind of old mine shaft?” He asked, but was incredibly grateful for how cool it was. He didn’t know what 'buckley's' meant but he guess she thought she was safe.

“I don’t know what it was before, but when I found it and last time on the map it was a real house.” She looked around, “I can fill up a bucket with some water. We have enough water to last a few weeks.”

"A few weeks? Then what? What happened today to change your mind? And why did you bring me?"

“Let me get the water first.” She said standing up.

"Thank you,” He said, investigating his feet with a grimace.

Gracie grabbed the bucket from one of her storage rooms that she guessed use to be a bed room and took it into the kitchen, filling it up just enough for Jarod to be able to clean his feet. “How you going Bailey?” She asked gently, setting the bucket down and grabbing a box of saladas from the cupboard and giving them to her, “Have some of these to eat, Walter might like some too.”

Bailey took the biscuits from her, not hungry, her stomach in knots from all of the drama, but Walter would be hungry.

“I’ll be back in in a minute alright, you are being a brave girl.” She kissed her before taking some biscuits and the bucket of water to the lounge and handing them to Jarod.

"Thank you," Jarod said as he slowly sunk his feet into the bucket, hissing slightly. "What happened?” He asked her again. "Why are you doing this? I can’t believe you did it for me."

“I didn’t do it for you, not just for you. When I went to see Bailey, see if she still wanted you to visit, she was on her bed crying, wouldn’t tell me what was wrong. So I took a little look. I know she hates it but was so worried. I saw Mr Mathew telling her to undress in his office.” She said, knowing Jarod would know what had happened. The image she saw from Bailey’s mind replaying over and over, making her nauseas.

Rage flooded through Jarod as he took that information in and he took more than a few moments to calm himself down until he could speak reasonably. "So you took her away?” He asked softly. Every last one of them were going to pay. He would find some way, once the girls were protected, to make that bastard sorry he was ever born.

“They can fuck me all they want Jarod. But I will NOT stand by and let them touch her like that. Not ever.” She said darkly, her rage returning with a vengeance. “Not her. Not my sister.”

Jarod nodded at her, forcing himself not to lose his temper now as well. "I understand, but why me? Or did you just need someone to carry her?"

“I know you must hate me for what I have done. I know I had orders, but I see now it was wrong. I couldn’t stand seeing you so depressed. The man I took was so passionate, so caring and look at what I had turned him into.” She said in shame, her eyes on the ground. “If we were going, I wasn’t going to leave you there unless you wanted to stay.” Grace said, not looking at him. So many emotions were swirling through her, and for once, all of them were her own.

Jarod listened to her and then nodded slowly. "Thank you,” He said sincerely. "But you know that you have no idea what you are in for now, especially with Bailey. I am willing help you as much as I can, but they aren’t going to stop looking."

“They can look all they want Jarod, they won’t find us. More so when we leave here. If it wasn’t an order for me to find you, they wouldn’t have until you were dead. I am the one that tracks. How do you think I got you in the first place?”

He had thought about that long and hard during the past month or so and he knew it was true. "But you cannot stay here forever. How do you go from here? Where? And what are you going to do about Bailey? Life on the run is not something for a little girl. She needs stability and security. To rip her away from the only thing she has ever known... it is going to be hard on her, you too I think."

“We will be fine. We need to stay here for a couple of days until the search of the immediate are is over and they move onto towns further away. I have a friend, owes me a favour. He’s a helicopter pilot. He will take us as far away as he can.” Grace hoped he would anyway. She had helped him tremendously a few years back and prayed he could help her now.

"You trust him? You haven’t been home in years.” He pulled his feet out of the water and started to disinfect them.

“Yes I do and he owes me a BIG favour. The only other choice is to call in the Centre.” She said knowing which one he would choose

"No, that won’t be necessary," Jarod said quickly.

“Then we have to call him Jarod.”