Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews :D As always, sorry for the delay and this is co-written. Hope you all enjoy!
Jarod stayed very still as she bathed him, even though the air down here was blessedly cool, he still felt as if he was burning hot. He knew that they must be feeding him nutrients and fluids through the drip, he already felt better, but his lips and throat were still parched and it felt like he would never have enough to drink ever again. He had suffered extremes temperatures before, knew what to expect, but the sheer brutality of this outback had been too much for even him. The water on his body was blessed relief, and he was beyond caring about his nakedness.

When Gracie was finished, happy when he was cooled and clean again, she looked at his slightly wet body, "Do you want me to dry you or just dry naturally?” She asked nervously, now in unfamiliar territory since she was told all of this was bad.

He couldn’t cope with the thought of a towel or any fabric touching him. "Just let me dry thanks,” He whispered. Even though it was really only his face and neck and hands that were badly burned, his whole body seemed so brittle and devoid of moisture that he might snap. He knew they were hydrating him and that in a few days, he would be feeling much better, but right now he felt terrible.

Gracie nodded and put the water aside and sat back down. "I did warn you Jarod. I guess you didn’t find any food or water if you are back here.” She said in a soft whisper again, not able to get past the guilt.

"Not enough,” He shook his head, remembering the meagre findings he had managed to scrounge up. He was amazed that anything or anyone could possibly survive out there.

"You need to know where to look is all.” She shrugged. She had done survival training, they had sent her out and left her for a few days. Mr Marcus told her it was in case anything ever happened to her home, she would need to be able to survive outside until one of the owners could find her and bring her back to safety.

He had looked and came up empty time and again. He had never before been so utterly defeated by a situation. He knew survival techniques, had been in the desert on foot before, but this 'outback' had thoroughly beaten him. As much as he hated himself, he was glad to be back here. He knew that there was a town but without any kind of direction to head, he was walking blindly. And his luck had not held. He might have easily been wandering for hundreds of miles before he came across any civilization. He knew that if his bearing was out by even a degree, he could walk right past a town, missing it by miles and just keep going, not even aware it was there.

Gracie looked up as the doctor walked in, "I'll leave you guys to it.” She stood up, "Rest up Jarod, I'll be in to keep checking on you." Grace didn’t bother to hide her concern over his situation, or her worry about how he felt right now.

Jarod nodded, not lifting his head to see her go.

Gracie walked into Jarod's room. He was still cuffed, but only by one wrist now. She had just spoken to her boss, who had been informed Jarod was well enough to be returned to his room after spending three days in the medical wing. Despite her pleading, he had refused to give Jarod a more comfortable room until he had earnt it. "Good morning Jarod."

Jarod looked at her, having decided that he would not aggravate his only current ally. He had argued with himself long and hard about how to react to her now he was feeling somewhat better. She was the only person that had so far treated him with anything close to kindness, the nurse looking at him as if she wanted to consume him. He was aware that his ‘saviour’ was also the one responsible for his current situation. Sydney would be having a field day with the psychological ramifications of that. "Morning,” He said, without much enthusiasm, but as much as he could muster. He knew that he should not give in, but at the moment, he just couldn’t face the future with his usual optimism and hope. Despite how dark things looked, he could always find that light at the end of his never-ending tunnel, but this time, that light seemed just too far away to be anything but a cruel illusion.

She moved over and un-cuffed his wrist. "You are allowed to go back to your cell now Jarod." On one side, Gracie was glad he could go back to his cell. It meant he was healing nicely. But on the other, it meant Jarod had to leave the open room, the half decent hospital bed, and the sounds of people around him, machines, objects being moved, sounds of life. His cell had no bed, no toilet, nothing to look at, to talk to, nothing to keep him occupied, even slightly.

Jarod sighed, thinking he would have preferred to stay here. Even cuffed to the bed would be more comfortable than lying or sitting on the concrete. They had been scrupulously efficient in keeping any kind of equipment away from his seeking hands, not leaving so much as a biro within his reach. He had finally given up on getting out of the cuffs and decided just to lie back and rest. He knew they would not leave him forever down here in this relative comfort, with a constant companion. Even though she was rather predatory, it was better than just staring at the walls of the bare cell with nothing to do but try and stay out of the view of the camera.

"Come on Jarod.” She said, stepping back and getting him some clothes. He had been naked since getting back, the doctor preferring the cool air to be able to get to his skin. It seemed to her that Jarod hadn’t mind all that much either. He was always gently sponged down by her, the cool air on his wet skin feeling extremely good to his burnt body. She had asked every time if Jarod wanted to be dried, and each time he had declined.

Jarod flexed his free hand, the first time it had been free since his return, not being allowed out of bed for any reason, despite his numerous appeals to the nurse. He knew she wanted him, and he had laid on his best charm, but it got him nowhere. He sat up slowly and swung his legs around, feeling strange. He would be glad to be clothed again, but now they were releasing him, he was worried about punishment. Everything she had told him led him to believe it would be severe.

She gave him his clothes, steadying him when he swayed a little, "Are you still weak Jarod?” She asked in concern. In Gracie’s mind, Jarod needed some sugar. He was not used to having such a healthy diet anymore, and had barely any fat or sugar since his return.

Jarod nodded and slowly put the shirt on, glad for its loose shapelessness at the moment.

Gracie's mouth slowly formed into a mischievous smile. She glanced around before digging into her pocket and pulling out a chocolate bar. "Eat this before we go, sugar will give you some energy." She whispered happily, knowing how he liked sweets.

"Thanks,” He said, but not with his usual enthusiasm when faced with something sweet. "I appreciate that, and all the time and effort you have put in over the last few days.” He took the chocolate and ate it quickly, feeling a little better for the sugar rush and then gingerly slipped into his pants.

Gracie looked at him sadly, "Did you not like it Jarod?” She asked with disappointment. When she had given him the lollies and ice cream, he had been over the moon. She hadn’t even received a smile for his one. Maybe he wasn’t big on chocolate, more of the real lollies. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No, I am sorry,” He sighed heavily. "I do love it, its just...” He looked up at her. "It was very good.” He forced a smile.

"It’s just what Jarod?” Gracie asked seriously, she didn’t need to be gifted to tell something was majorly wrong with him.

"I am just not myself,” He tried to explain to her. He was more depressed than he had ever been in his life, and he wasn’t coping with it at all.

"Let’s go Jarod.” She said gently, leading him to the door where two guards gripped him and took him back to his cell. Grace didn’t see the point in him always being manhandled like this, it wasn’t like he would go anywhere. When they finally got back to Jarod's cell, Jarod not strong enough to walk at a normal pace still, the sweepers let his arms go. She looked at the bare cell, "I had to remove the blankets and pillow. I am sorry." Gracie apologised sincerely.

Jarod looked at it before stepping in and muttered. "It doesn’t matter."

"We have a SIM due later today Jarod, but that depends on your punishment and when it will be given to you." She doubted that Sir would give the punishment before the SIM if Jarod might work on it, but one never knew.

"I won’t do it, I already told you I won’t cooperate with them.” He said, moving slowly to sit in his spot under the camera.

"You now have no choice Jarod, no ifs no buts.” Grace reminded him, “You WILL do it regardless, and I am afraid of the measures I will be forced to take in order to make you do it."

"I am afraid of them too,” He said softly, but knowing he had little choice. He didn’t have much fight left in him at the moment, and right now he just didn’t care what they did, one way or the other. But he wasn’t going to give them what they wanted.

"I will be back later, either to take you to your SIM, or for the punishment Jarod, get some rest.” She ordered him gently, knowing how badly he needed it still.

Jarod sighed again and let his head rest against the wall and watched her.

Gracie closed and locked the door, making her way back to Sir's office. Knocking she waited to be allowed entrance. She was very worried over Jarod, she was getting so many mixed feelings from him. He just wanted to do what they asked, so he didn’t have to fight anymore, to hurt anymore. But he still wanted to refuse to work for them and it was conflicting within him extremely bad.

Jarod looked at the door before closing his eyes and trying to meditate, with nothing else to do. He needed to find his emotional balance again, but days after trying in the medical bay, he had been unsuccessful in finding that place inside himself he used to hide from the world and reality. Instead, he settled for just closing his eyes, regulating his breathing and remembering his exercises Sydney had taught him.

"Come," Marcus said without looking up, knowing it was Grace.

Walking in, she stood in front of his desk. "Sir, Jarod is back in his cell. I have removed the blankets and pillow. He will need to earn them back." If she were able to get any more special privileges for Jarod, she had to stay in her boss’ good books.

"Yes he will. Is he fit to work?” He asked, putting his pen down. "Why don’t you take a seat?” He offered her.

Gracie looked around the room in confusion before looking back at him, "Me?” She asked. She had never in her life been offered a seat before. She had done nothing extremely well to be offered such a reward, nothing that she knew of anyway. But maybe it was because she was a handler too now, maybe this is what handlers did, they sat while talking instead of standing like a project.

"No, the person behind you,” He said snidely.

Gracie turned to look behind her and frowned even more, "With all due respect Sir, there is no one behind me." She said, shaking her head in bewilderment that her boss might be seeing people that went there.

“Just sit girl,” He said, trying to hide his enjoyment of his teasing.

"Yes Sir.” She said, sitting down as fast as she could, brow still creased as she contained to look around to the person what was behind her.

"Is he fit for work?"

"Yes Sir, but nothing too serious. He is still weak but I don’t see why he can’t do basic simulations or some breeding if you so desire Sir."

“What about his mental state? I have read the doctor's report on his physical condition, what I am more concerned with is his emotional and mental health.” He knew he could have shrinks look at him, but none of them could tell him what she could tell him.

"Well, he admitted to me he is not himself right now. But he is depressed, sad. He couldn’t believe how badly he failed. He doesn’t fail, and this time he did. And not just failed a little, but a lot. Not only did he not get away, he was caught and he ASKED to come home. Being a pretender Sir, he is used to doing things and doing it right. He was running for his misbelief of his so called freedom and he failed. It has hit him hard, he has no fight left to disobey, not much anyway."

"Do you think we can use his current state of mind against him? Or will he just dig in his heels?” He did not like new projects, not knowing enough about them. He preferred those raised here, every aspect of behaviour programmed and reasonably predictable.

"He already has his heels dug in Sir. He is still adamant he won’t work but he is weak, upset. It won’t be too hard to get him working. All I need to do is find that one single weakness of him and exploit it, and I have a fair idea of what I need to use."

"Good," Marcus smiled at her and then remained quiet for a while, pondering his next decision. He needed to know if she could handle this assignment or not. "And his punishment? What should be done about that? An escape is a very serious infringement."

"I would personally make him go outside again Sir." Grace said way too casually for her liking. Her logic was now since there was no escape for Jarod, she had no choice but to make him work. By Jarod working, he would get privileges and would most definitely make his life a lot better living here with her and Bailey.

"Are you trying to kill him?” He asked, his eyebrows raised. "We usually try to keep them in."

"I know. But I want him outside, on the burning tarmac. Undress him and tie him down. Its only a few more days in the medical wing Sir, and it should teach him not to go outside again." And Grace knew it would work. The first days outside had done so much damage to his mental state, failing so badly, but being forced outside and laid down on the burning ground should force him physically not to want to go outside again. Every time he did something wrong, she would suggest he go outside. Jarod would soon come to seriously dislike outside, would fear it, wouldn’t want to go near it. Gracie didn’t want that at all, she wanted Jarod happy, not morose and depressed and miserable. Jarod had proved however, he couldn’t escape, so Grace might as well do what she could to get him working and get him all the privileges he deserved.

He almost snorted in laughter at the sheer brutality of it. He nodded his head slowly. "For how long do you suggest? And who will monitor him, make sure he doesn’t die?"

"I will Sir, if you wish it.” She said obediently, "And it will go on as long as necessary to learn his lesson. I will not allow him to be damaged permanently, but only enough to let him know outside is dangerous, it is harmful. That if he stays inside he is safe and protected from such harm.”

"Very well then, I will leave that in your hands then. Just be sure that he is not permanently harmed, or you will suffer the same fate."

"Yes of course Sir and speaking of my fate Sir, have you decided my punishment Sir?” She asked looking at the ground. The worst of this punishment was not knowing when or what it was. She had had ample of time to run each punishment she had ever received or heard of through her head and did not like not knowing.

"I am not sure what I should do with you. I have decided against a physical punishment for now. If you are to work with Jarod, I need you fit, not laid up. So I have decided to remove all privileges and you can move into the bottom level for a while. I understand it is hard for you being back, and you lost control, but that is no excuse. You will think about your behaviour and ponder it, and when I think you are ready, you may return to your room, and have your privileges reinstated."

Gracie nodded, "Yes Sir. But if I am to work with Jarod, how will I get out of my room to be with him?” She asked in confusion.

"You will be collected when you are required, don’t worry about that girl."

"Will I be allowed to take Jarod to work now and then his punishment first?" She had never really been punished in this fashion. She understood his reluctance to hurt her physically, she needed to be fit to control Jarod. So Grace figured this was more to remind her how nice he was being to her, giving her such a great room, rights to see her sister, freedom to do basically as she liked. He wanted her to appreciate it, to learn not to take it for granted. He wanted to remind her what it could be like again if she lost her control once more.

"Yes, I want that dealt with first. You will have all of your normal duties, but the time you would normally be allowed to yourself will be spent in solitary now. I will not have this punishment interfering with your work. It would defeat the purpose of it now wouldn’t it?” He smiled at her. "And then the only person being punished would be me."

"Oh no Sir. We don’t want you punished, you have done nothing wrong. I will do as you asked then go down to one of the rooms on the lower level. Is there any one in particular you want me in Sir?" Gracie asked, no longer willing to presume and make yet another mistake.

"No, you may choose if you wish. I will alert the staff to the new arrangement, but this will not interfere with your work, they will understand that. And if I ever hear you speak with such disrespect again, nothing will save you.” He informed her coolly.

"Yes of course Sir. I will use this time to practice the control techniques you taught me as a child. I will not do it again Sir, that is a promise." Gracie said bowing her head a little in respect to his wishes. She normally had such great control, Sir was a hard man to please and she had learnt at a young age to put 300 into everything he asked of her. So when she was small, losing control a lot and he taught her these techniques to channel and control the emotions and she had practised them relentlessly, in every spare minute she had.

She had worked so hard she had become their best ever empath. Not only could she read people around her effortlessly by age 5, knowing what every single emotion meant to the person and situation, but by the age of 6 she could manipulate those feelings, change the way people viewed things by playing around with them. A few months later, she had worked out how to transfer her feelings to others, and ‘transplant’ her feelings into the other person’s soul. Grace had mastered this to such a fine point, that right now if she wanted to, she could send happy emotions to Jarod and his depression would leave instantly and he would be on a high from her emotions. She could, a split second later, send him hate, hurt, pain and it would instantly become his own.

But these control techniques also had helped her in her telepath skills. She had taught herself how to not only talk to another using their mind, which was extremely easy, but how to read their thoughts. It went side by side with her empathic skills, which pleased her owners enormously. Her telepathic skills were a fluke mistake, they had not been trying for that at all. Some where along the lines, they screwed her up in the lab, and this was the result.

"Excellent,” He smiled at her. He knew how agitated she had been, but if he allowed that to slide, it would be chaos before he knew it.

She beamed back when he smiled at her, "All I want is to make you proud Sir. And I will do all I can to make up for my atrocious behaviour towards my owner.” She said with conviction.

"I know you will girl,” He said in his most encouraging tone. "I understand how hard it is for you, and this Jarod is not going to be easy, but I have confidence in you."

She grinned broader. "Thank you Sir, I will do you proud.” She nodded, "May I please be excused to tend to Jarod Sir?"

"Yes, I think that is an excellent idea. Just remember, do not damage him too much. We need him working, and soon."

"Yes of course Sir.” She got up and looked at him before smiling coldly, darkly. "I have learnt quite a few tings on how to make a person suffer without damaging them to much."

He looked at her in surprise, wondering if it was a snide remark, but then realised she was only thinking about how to get Jarod to work.

"Though I cannot promise he will not be badly damaged, but he will be able to work still Sir.” Gracie informed him. She never had problems using her talents to manipulate someone into doing what she wanted, but for some reason, she couldn’t bring herself to do it with Jarod. She felt like he had been violated to many times on that front that she had no right to play with him in that manner.

"As long as he is fit, that is my only concern."

"Perfect.” She smiled and moved out. It was hard pretending like this, but it had to be done. Grace made her way slowly down to Jarod's cell and walked in, shutting the door and sitting down next to him out of the view of the camera. "You're going to have a next door neighbour Jarod."

"I am?” He asked, opening his eyes to look at her. His voice was almost back to normal, but was still raspy.

"You sure are.” Gracie told him. She knew she had to accept this punishment, or things could get a lot worse for her. But Grace also had to admit, it wasn’t really such a bad punishment. So she had to sleep on a cold hard floor like Jarod for a while, she couldn’t see her sister for a bit. But it was certainly a lesser punishment then she had been expecting.

"Who?” He asked, not knowing anybody here and thinking that whatever poor bastard was next door wouldn’t make any difference. The walls were thick and he doubted sound would carry beyond his own cell.

"Me.” She said, looking at him, looking for the world like she was un-phased by it all.

"You?” He asked in a small amount of surprise, then it hit him that they must have known she had told him how to get out.

Grace nodded. "After you got out, I went to Sir's office. I was mad at everything, mad at the world, at this situation. I talked to him in a disrespectful manner. All privileges have been removed until he thinks I have learnt my lesson. I am going to use my time down here to remember my place, to learn how to control myself once more."

"I see," Jarod said, thinking about it. He did not want to be the cause of any trouble for this girl, yet he knew that his continuing refusal to work was going to cause plenty of trouble, and he wasn’t sure how to handle it.

"We have to go to work now Jarod, and you will work for me.” She said, leaving no room for arguments. "Then I will take you for your punishment."

"Why don’t we skip the work and go straight to the punishment?” He offered, having no intentions of SIMing for them.

"Come on Jarod, you can’t do this. Mr Marcus knows you are still weak, but can work. I have chosen a very basic simulation. It will do no harm, quite the opposite actually. But you are not the only one going to get into trouble this time if you do not do it.” She said softly.

He looked at her sharply, although he had been expecting it. "Who else then?” He asked, having decided to go through the song and dance anyway.

"It doesn’t matter.” She said gently, thinking about the order Sir had given her the other day about how to handle him if nothing else worked. "But I don’t really want you thinking about anyone else, want you doing it for them. I want you doing this for yourself Jarod. The punishment you have received is going to weaken you tremendously, and you probably won’t survive a punishment for not working as well." Grace said softly, trying to let him understand how serious this was.

He looked at her dully as he climbed to his feet, wondering what the punishment was that he was about to undergo. Maybe he would get lucky and they would just kill him out of frustration.

Gracie got up and grabbed his arm to stop him from going anywhere, staying under the camera. "I am so sorry about this Jarod, I thought you of all people would have been able to get away."

"So did I,” He whispered. "It is not your fault, don’t worry about it. I tried, and I failed. It is over now."

"Let’s get to work Jarod.” Gracie said softly letting him go and walked out the cell. "You are not used to failing are you?” She asked as they walked. She didn’t really need to ask, she already knew. But it was still a bit of surprise he was taking it so hard. And it wasn’t so much him being back here, but the point that he actually couldn’t accomplish something he had set out to do.

Jarod followed her, but had no intention of 'getting to work'. He looked at her sharply, his brow creased and then sighed. "No I am not."

"It must be frustrating to you then.” She said, watching as the sweepers walked closely behind them but for once didn’t grab Jarod.

"Humiliating,” He whispered under his breath. "Yes it is,” He admitted loud enough for her to hear.

She didn’t need to hear his words to feel what he felt. "There is nothing to be ashamed about Jarod, to be humiliated about. You are only human. You fail sometimes." She was an extraordinary person and Grace had failed many a times.

But that was the thing, Jarod had only failed so very few times, and it always seemed to be when it mattered the most. He failed to save Jacob, and although he knew the chances were slim to none, he thought he might have been able to help him. He had failed to save Kyle and now had failed to save himself. It was a bitter defeat. And the worst of all, his first failure of Annie. That still haunted him to this very day.

She looked at him as they walked, "You should not be so hard on yourself Jarod. So you're a genius, a pretender, THE pretender. You are human and human make mistakes. They fail, you fail. No big deal." You fail, you get punished and you learn from it. It was just a part of life.

"People died because I failed. That is a big deal.” He argued back, although without too much conviction.

"It’s life Jarod. Plain and simple. Officers in the bomb squad fail and it kills people. Doctors preforming emergency surgery fail and people die. You're not the only one that can’t save everyone. You can’t save the world, or yourself some times. You just have to live with it." Grace told him, her voice sounding harsh to her own ears.

He laughed softly to himself, and shook his head.

"What’s so funny?" Grace asked in bewilderment. This wasn’t a funny talk.

"Nothing really, it’s just that Sydney told me almost the exact same thing once."

"You didn’t believe him, just like you don’t believe me.” She stated the obvious.

He had been taught all of his life that failure was not acceptable, and he failed so infrequently, that he wasn’t really emotionally or psychologically prepared to deal with it. "No,” He admitted. "I don’t."

She opened the door to the testing lab and led him over to the table. Collins already in there. Gracie took the file from him and gave it to Jarod, sitting on the edge of the table, praying he just did it this time.

Jarod took the file and slowly laid it on the desk, without even looking at it.

"Come on Jarod.” She said, opening it up. "Just do it for me. What will be the harm of you doing something so simple? Something that would be, and could only be, used for good?"

"The harm is it is taking the first step on a journey I am not prepared to undertake. I am not unaware of the principle of baby steps. You get me doing small innocuous things, I get used to saying yes. Sooner or later it is the next step up and it seems just that much easier for me not to refuse.” He looked at the shrink that had been assigned. "Is that an accurate assessment of your policy to 'manage' me?"

Collins almost spluttered in shock and tried to recover himself and looked at Grace, wondering what he was supposed to do.

"Jarod,” She growled harshly until he turned to look at her. "You need out of that cell. It will do nothing but harm having you sit in there all day long. So what if it is a baby step? I thought you wanted to help people. This SIM would be used to help the people of the community not far from here, people that are my friends Jarod." Grace said passionately, her eyes wide, pleading for his help. “They are my friends.” She repeated.

Jarod looked at her, wondering if she was lying. People like this didn’t do things to help, they did things to make money and consolidate their power bases. He knew they were likely picking humanitarian projects simply to get him started. "What harm is it having me in my cell all day long?” He countered.

"Nothing if it isn’t that cell Jarod. I have seen stronger people then you go insane in there. And you are weak at the moment in a cold cell. It will only make you sick. Jarod, just look at the file, read it. Then if you still refuse fine but at least read it for me first please." Gracie pleaded.

"So?” He shrugged. "I have lived in a similar cell nearly my whole life."

"Read the damn file Jarod.” She barked, slamming her hands on the table in frustration and anger. Grace shook her head. "I really do need to practice my control. Look, just read it for me Jarod, then refuse. But at least read it to know what it is for."

Jarod calmly looked at the file and folded his arms across his chest. He knew what she was trying to do, and he wasn’t going to fall for it.

Collins was getting more and more nervous. He was not used to this, never having dealt with a project who so flatly refused. He wondered what it would take to crack Jarod's facade.

"Fine, I will read it to you.” She picked it up, opened it and read the start of the briefing. She read how it was meant to help improve the living and working conditions for the aboriginals in the town she had visited to get both hers and Jarod's medicine. Gracie read how a private company was paying for this, wanted to fix the town up. It also stated how the government kept ripping children from their parents, sending them away to a foster home because they did not believe it was suitable for the children to live how their ancestors did. Gracie told him how this SIM was going to be used to help the families, the community, to stop children being taken from their home, make the living conditions suitable so nothing would happen again.

Jarod looked at her for a long moment, trying to tell if she was lying. The idea of stolen children was something that struck the deepest chord in him.

She laid the file down open on the table. "I know one of the kids taken Jarod. She was two years old. Would be about 6 now. They sent her to South Australia, and the government refuses to give her back, its not 'safe' for her there. They don’t only do this to this one town but all over the country." She said gently. She used every skill she had to hide the fact that she was lying from Jarod, and she knew she successful.

Collins knew that she was lying about the children being stolen still. The government had not done that for many years, but she certainly had his attention now and he kept quiet.

"The government cannot do this,” He protested in outrage. He wasn’t sure if he believed her or not. "Maybe a hundred years ago.” He knew in America, the relations between their indigenous people and the government was not good, even today. But this was a civilized country and surely no government could still propagate such blatant abuses of human rights.

"Why do you think we are trying to stop Jarod?” She asked, leaning back slightly at his fury. It was so sudden, so strong, that it hit with the force of a semi trailer and Grace had to stop from falling off the table. "What do you think this SIM is for? And this is a baby step for the country. People have been protesting over this for many years now."

He started looking through the files, becoming more angry with each piece of new information. These people lived in appalling conditions, with not even the basic amenities and services. They seemed to have no rights at all.

Collins knew he was hooked now, and that the SIM would probably proceed without any further problems. He smiled at Grace and sat back in satisfaction.

She felt Jarod's hate and rage and disgust so easily. "Jarod, these people live how they do because they choose to most times. But the children are always healthy and safe. The government just does not like that they choose to live like their ancestors did. And this is their way of making sure the next generation grow up proper and 'civilised'."

"What do you think I can do to stop it? From here? I know nothing about this government and its policies beyond knowing they are closely allied with the US."

“Closely allied my arse, try sitting right up their arse,” Grace said in obvious disgust. "Everything you need to know is in there Jarod. Run a few SIMs, give us a few ways we can help them. Use the US laws as a guideline. The supplier will be able to modify it enough to stay with in our laws and do this correctly."

Jarod was reading and absorbing everything already, barely listening to her, running what he knew through his head, for the moment, everything else forgotten.

Collins watched him and become increasingly bored after an hour had passed. He could see that Jarod did not want or request any help, just working steadily, scribbling notes down and pacing around the room sometimes, although slowly, due to his condition.

Gracie kept a very close eye on him as he worked. When he finally finished, putting the pencil down she smiled. "See, that wasn’t so hard was it?"

"I don’t know if it will help. I am too uninformed. I know next to nothing about this country, it’s politics. I cannot work in this vacuum,” He fretted. At one time, this had been the only way he knew to work, but things were different now, and he needed to know about implications, ramifications. He needed to see the larger picture to function effectively. He couldn’t unlearn the last few years.

"That’s fine Jarod.” She soothed him, looking through the results. "We can modify this to suit our laws but I am almost positive it will help those people. Thank you Jarod. You have done extremely well on this."

He was not at all happy. It felt half finished and he wanted to be able to follow it up. Despite nearly all of his life performing in a vacuum, with no idea about the results, things were very different now. He waited for closure on his SIMs. He could see the positive impact on people's lives. He needed that like he needed to breathe. Not just some vague reassurance that he had done well. He knew she had outmanoeuvred him on this and that it was a significant psychological victory for them.

Gracie picked the file and results up and walked to Collins. She handed it to him. "Take this to Mr Marcus.” Her boss would know what was to be done with it.

He took it and logged the completion time in at just under 4 hours. "I will get it to him straight away."

"Good.” She nodded, watching him go. She turned to Jarod, "You are not happy with the end results. Why not?” Grace asked, wanting to see if Jarod said anything about certain parts might not work.

"It doesn’t matter," Jarod said, picking the pencil up and toying with it. He wouldn’t be able to use it to help him with the locks, but he might be able to bury in someone if he needed to. He was toying with that idea while he twirled it.

"Put it down Jarod.” She said softly, moving over to him. "And it does matter. What are you not pleased with?" She pushed him ever so gently.

"I don’t know enough to complete it properly. There wasn’t enough preparation or research materials.” He didn’t put the pencil down, just to prove to himself that he could still refuse.

Gracie held her hand out, "Thank you Jarod.” She said, wanting the pencil, but not expecting much. "I am sorry, that is our fault. We are not used to doing this, we are still not to sure how it all works."

He looked at her hand and continued to twirl the pencil, being deliberately belligerent. It was a small rebellion after he had just caved so completely, but he didn’t care.

Jarod give it to me now, do not make me ask you again in front of the cameras. Gracie said to him, her mouth not moving. She knew Jarod must have known she was empathic, but she wasn’t sure if he knew the rest about her. And she thought to herself if he didn’t, he was in for a bit of a shock.

Jarod blinked in surprise as he felt her voice in his mind and made the connections quickly. He handed it to her more in sheer shock than obedience.

"Thank you.” Gracie said, putting the pencil down. "I want to try something with you please Jarod.” She told him sitting on the corner of the desk, "Talk back to me please."

"And say what?” He asked her dully. All the passion and energy gone from him now the SIM was done. He just felt hollow again. Even the notion of her telepathy didn’t really excite him, just made him realise how easy it was going to be for her to 'push his buttons'. It also explained why he could not sim her, or get any kind of accurate prediction on her behaviour. He had tried time and again to predict her response to a carefully considered statement, and she surprised him nearly every time.

I am going to be very bored in my cell for a while until Sir decides I have learnt my lesson, and if I could talk to you like this, not only is it safe, but it will keep us both occupied. Now I need you to concentrate just a little and think of a response, Gracie told him. It would be so much easier if she could talk to him like this while in their cells.

Jarod closed his eyes, torn between how vulnerable this made him, and how much difference it might make as well. He could not deny the excitement of just the very idea of the possibility of it. How long is he liable to keep you there? He sent back, after he had forced his mind to calm down somewhat.

"Don’t concentrate so hard. Just think like you do when reading silently, as if talking to yourself. I can tell how hard you're concentrating from here and you will wear yourself out.” She said gently, trying not to laugh. "And as long as he wants to Jarod."

I cannot do this for them, not even for you. He sent back, forcing himself to relax.

Open your eyes Jarod. Gracie laughed at him and waited till he did. I understand, but we will talk about this later. "I need to take you to your punishment Jarod, and I need you to strip first please."

"What?” He asked in absolute surprise at the shock in the change in subject and her demand.

"Now please Jarod, don’t force me to get the sweepers in to do it for you." She threatened seriously.

"Why?” He asked her, growing very nervous.

"Last chance Jarod.” She said sternly.

He glared at her sullenly, not being able to cope with these swings from apparent caring to cold hostility and cruelty. He had never been so unsure of anybody in his life. He still had no idea if her concern was genuine or all some ploy to undermine him and try to get his cooperation. He slowly took his clothes off and stood before her.

"Let’s go.” She said, calling in the sweepers to cuff him and watched as they grabbed his arms and hauled him forward. She knew Jarod would fight on this, she expected nothing less.

Jarod didn’t resist, knowing that there was zero point in it, but his heart was beating hard, fearing what they might do to him.

Gracie led them to the lift and rode up to the top level. Walking out, she walked the three men to the manned and secured doors and waited for them to be opened. Taking them up the stairs, she opened the door and led them outside. About 20 meters from the old shack like door were ropes hammered into the ground, ready for Jarod to be tied down. She had decided against the tarmac, knowing an hour on it would end up giving him third degree burns and thought the ground would be hot enough.

"No," Jarod started protesting as he realised that they were going outside. Whatever her plans were for him, he wanted no part of it. He was completely naked and had not yet recovered from his last adventure. He struggled to escape the grips of his captors, contorting his body and refusing to walk.

"Just pick him up.” She ordered, watching as they did. Grace moved over to the ropes and waited till Jarod was put down, sitting on his chest while the other two tied his legs down firmly.

"No, you can’t do this,” He protested weakly, his voice already suffering from his screaming. "Please, you can’t leave me out here please. I did your damned SIM, you can’t do this.” He was becoming frantic, bucking and trying to free himself.

Gracie stood back as her new boys lifted Jarod a little and removed the cuffs, one sitting on his chest pinning one arm while his free wrist was tied tightly, then the other. When he was secured, spread-eagled, unable to move, the men left, leaving Jarod and Grace by themselves. "Jarod, this isn’t about the SIM."

He pulled frantically on the ropes, already sweating in the oppressive heat. But he was tied firmly and as he swivelled his head to look at the knots, he knew he would not be getting out until they let him up. He had exhausted what little energy he had in the useless struggle and finally let himself slump, fighting the tears.

Grace knew his body would already be burning on the hot ground, it had only gone midday and was just getting to the hottest part of the day, a few hours out here should be more then enough. Gracie sat down next to him, being slightly burnt through her clothes. "This is about you running Jarod. I know it is my fault, I shouldn’t have offered you a way out, but this must be done." No one was around and that left them to talk openly. “I don’t want to punish you for something I suggested, but I have been ordered.”

Jarod squirmed futilely on the ground, his eyes squeezed tightly closed against the dry heat and brightness. They still had not yet fully recovered. "Why don’t you just kill me?” He asked pitifully. His brain providing a list of all the damage that was about to be done to his body.

"I wouldn’t hurt you like that Jarod.” She said a little offended. Not to mention her boss would kill her if she did. Grace didn’t even want to be punishing him. It had been her suggestion, but it was not something she took joy in. Not right now anyway.

"But you don’t seem to mind this,” He spat out at her in disgust, trying to keep his body off the scalding ground. He could feel his skin burning again already and in less than an hour he knew he would have some severe sunburn, any longer and it would be bordering on a real burn.

"I have to do this Jarod. There is no choice in the matter.” She told him, "And do not take that tone with me Jarod, I could just leave you out here for the rest of the day you know if you really want me to."