Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/n: In case anyone still doesn’t know this by now, all my thanks go out to Onisius, without whom, I don’t think this would have ever seen the light of day.


Aftermath Pt 5


Major Charles’ House
Sun 14th August

The month had dragged by, agonizingly slowly for all of them, but not as slowly as they imagined it had for Jarod. Gem and Broots had used that time to try and buy themselves more time before the computers figured out that they had been tampered with. But they had come up with nothing. Broots had become extremely proficient at manipulating the normal surveillance, but nothing could be done about SL-27. The Major had pushed Gem so hard that Parker had been forced to defend him. The boy had a big enough responsibility without his father making it worse. Sydney had stood by, reluctant to interfere in matters that he had been told in no uncertain terms that he was not welcome.

While they waited for the month to pass Broots and Gem had become very good friends and although Gem was hoping desperately that they would get Jarod out this time, he was also regretting that it meant that he would lose this friendship that he had developed. Although they made an unlikely pair, Broots was the first real friend, the only friend, that Gem had ever made. But Gem had already made the decision to keep in touch with Broots. He knew that his father would not approve, but he figured ‘what dad doesn’t know can't hurt him’.

Miss Parker and Major Charles had also developed and unlikely bond. She and the Major often talked long into the night about Catherine and Miss Parker saw a whole other side of her mother. There was so much more texture than what she could glean from the DSA’s or files, and while Ben had provided a wealth of memories, none of them had anything to do with her life at The Centre. The Major was a good storyteller and she found that she could listen to him for hours. Gem often dragged himself away from Broots to listen as well, sitting by Parker's side. The Major at first had been disturbed at the way Gem had gravitated back to Miss Parker, but he had decided to leave it alone. After tomorrow, they would never have to see these people again.


Sydney watched with interest the dynamic that had formed within the little family, but he had distanced himself from it. It hurt him to think of Jarod as a boy Gem’s age, trapped underground in the walls of The Centre, and knowing the man was still trapped there. It hurt him to think of his complicity in it all, and he felt that he should be doing more. Sydney knew that the Major was doing everything that could be done, but he also knew the Major was planning to take Jarod away from him.

Broots was the first to leave. He had to get back to The Centre and work his magic on the surveillance systems. He stood and awkwardly shook hands with the Major. But the Major pulled him into a crushing embrace, pounding him on the back. Broots let out a sigh of relief when the Major finally released him.

“I don’t know how I am ever going to repay you for all that you have done. None of this would be possible without you. Mr Broots, whatever happens tonight, I want you to know that you will always have my eternal gratitude.”

Broots ducked his head in embarrassment. He shuffled his feet and looked down at them. When the Major chuckled, he looked up at him and smiled. He had just been doing his job, and he was not used to this kind of display of gratitude. More often than not, his efforts went unnoticed. Miss Parker and Sydney never truly appreciated some of the things that he had did for them, the risks he had taken. As he was shaking Major Charles’ hand, his chest swelled with pride.

Gem stood awkwardly and made his way over to his new friend. He knew that if things went well tonight, it would be unlikely that he would ever see Broots again. And for the briefest of seconds….. He was acutely aware of the audience watching them. And he found that all of a sudden he couldn’t find the words that he wanted to say.

Both Broots and Gem stood facing each other, both of their faces were red and Parker had to bring her hand up to cover the smile. Sometimes, not very often, she realised just how dear Broots had become to her. The nervous computer geek had somehow wormed his way past her formidable defences into her heart. She didn’t really know how or when it had happened, but somehow he had managed to do it. Watching him now, she found that she almost envied his role in helping Jarod, his easy friendship with Gem.

After some five minutes, they had finally managed to stumble through a goodbye and Broots was on his way to set the plan in motion. As he drove back to The Centre, he was flushed with pleasure at the knowledge that he was playing such an important role, and with pride at the Major’s gratitude. When Debbie asked him “How was work today daddy?” He would be able to answer her honestly. “Daddy had a great day at work sweetheart. He did a good thing today.”

The time was almost here and there was an unspoken accord that it was time to go. Goodbyes were said and many things remained unspoken. They had all been here before and they were all thinking the same thing. Miss Parker embraced Gem, leaving everything still unsaid. After they had all left, the Major went to lie down to try and get some rest. He knew he would not sleep, he was way too wired for that, but he needed to relax and try to find his focus. He was in the best physical condition he had been in for many years and he would return with Jarod this time. He did not want to admit the possibility that he might not succeed. He did not think that he could survive having to leave Jarod again.
There again had been fights with Gem, and the boy had reluctantly acquiesced to his father’s wishes, but only after he had threatened to send him to stay with his sister Emily. It was an empty threat however. The Major had not risked getting in contact with his daughter. This close to The Centre made him very nervous and he did not want to risk her. And he knew that he would tell her about Jarod, she had no idea, and he didn’t want to get her hopes up. The Major smiled ruefully, if Jarod was anywhere as stubborn as Gem, it was no wonder The Centre had so much trouble keeping him under control.




SL-27

The month had also passed for Jarod, although unlike the others, he had not been counting the days. He had convinced himself that he had dreamt the entire thing and was now settling into his new routine. He still spent nearly the entire day in the lab working on sims. There was a never ending demand for his talents. But he now had access to the pool and he spent two hours there each night after the sims had been completed. When Lyle had granted him a request, he had thought long and hard for the entire night. He wanted out of that cell most of all, and a bed, something soft and warm to lie on. But his first request had been access to the pool. He needed to be realistic in his goals, and he did not imagine that even Lyle had the power to transfer him the out of the cell. He loved to swim and he could almost believe that he was free when he was in the pool. All the pain, all the torment and suffering fell away. He was allowed some degree of privacy as well. No sweepers accompanied him, although the watchful eyes of the cameras were still there of course.

When he was doing laps, Jarod belonged to no-one but himself. Sometimes Lyle came down and they swam together. Jarod was slowly rebuilding his strength and stamina, but he was still no match against his friend. They often talked after swimming, Lyle would sometimes bring a book down and they would argue over ridiculous plot points, Jarod nearly always winning here at least. Cox very rarely touched Jarod anymore, partly because he fell under Lyle’s protection, but mostly because they had a far more powerful weapon now. Jarod did anything and everything they asked of him to ensure that his access to the pool was not withdrawn. Jarod also knew that the more he helped Lyle consolidate his position, the more things would trickle back down to Jarod in the form of privileges.

After his swim was over, he had a cold shower and submitted to a quick search by the burly sweepers before they escorted him back to his cell for the night. He hated the feel of their hands going over his body, but he endured it without complaint. It was all part of the trade-off, and well worth it in Jarod's opinion. Lyle had somehow managed to convince Mr Cox to grant him private shower time. Jarod smiled at the memory of it. The gift had been as welcome as it was unexpected. Lyle had come down during his swim with a huge grin on his face. In his hands he held a toiletry bag bursting with goodies. A toothbrush and toothpaste, real soap, and even a safety razor. When Lyle had told him he would be allowed private shower time, Jarod had jumped out of the pool and thrown his arms around Lyle, oblivious to the fact that the water was ruining Lyle’s immaculately pressed suit. He stood back in horror as he realised what he had done, but Lyle had been smiling and chided him gently.

He ran his tongue over his teeth, relishing the smooth clean surfaces, and the minty taste. He breathed deeply in satisfaction. The smell of the soap, fragrant in his nostrils. He wished for a mirror, but for the moment, just being able to shave himself was a treat. Getting the hot water turned on in the shower block was his next mission. He felt his confidence building and was debating on just what was the best way to broach the subject with Lyle. He looked up with a guilty start as the sound of the lock disengaged. Fear coursed through him, to be quickly replaced by astonishment. He shook his head trying to shake off the image.

The Major had crawled through the seemingly endless air ducts, and had made it to SL-27 without incident. He had stood outside Jarod's cell, palm resting flat against the door, offering prayers to anyone willing to listen. When the alarm on his watch went off, he keyed the lock and closed his eyes before he pushed the heavy door open, afraid of the condition he might find Jarod in. He had brought a mild stimulant with him this time, hoping that it would be enough.

“Dad!?” Jarod was on his feet, shaking his head.

“Jarod” The Major almost crushed Jarod in a massive bear-hug. “Oh Jarod, thank god. I have been so worried about you. Are you alright Jarod?” The Major held Jarod out at arms length, looking at him, trying to assess his condition. “Jarod, it's time to take you home.” The Major cast a quick glance around the tiny barren room, and then nervously up at the cameras.

“Dad? What's going on?” Jarod was more than a little suspicious. He was fairly sure he was awake, but that didn’t necessarily mean that this wasn’t one of Mr Cox’s tricks.

“Jarod, we are going to get out of here, now. We don’t have much time, you have to come, now.”

The Major grabbed his hand and tried to pull him towards the door, he could feel the time slipping away and still Jarod was not moving.

Some tiny part that Jarod had buried, kept hidden from Cox and even Lyle began to resurface. He looked at his father and he began to believe that perhaps this nightmare could finally be over.

“Dad, you came for me?” he asked in wonder.

“Yes Jarod, but we have to make a move now, we are running out of time. We can talk later, but right now we have to go.” He started pulling Jarod frantically towards the door.

Jarod finally seemed to pull himself together and the two of them headed for the door. Jarod turned around and took one final look around the tiny room that had been his home for what now seemed like his entire life. They then made their way up the corridors to the elevator. The Major had his gun drawn and Jarod was prepared to kill anyone who got in their way with his bare hands. As they approached the elevator doors, Jarod glanced around, expecting to be set upon by sweepers. The Major had keyed open the elevator doors and they both held their breath as they waited for the alarm to sound. After a second of hesitation the Major entered the shaft and proceeded to climb to SL-26. Jarod glanced around nervously, a certainty that they were going to be caught had settled upon him. He was almost sick with apprehension at the thought of what Mr Cox would do to him when he found out.

Jarod hesitated at the door, looking into the blackness. It had been a very long time since he had been in the dark and he was absurdly terrified. His heart was thudding in his chest, the sound of it loud in his ears. He seemed unable to move, as if by entering the darkness he would commit an act from which there was no coming back.

“Jarod, c’mon” The Major hissed down at Jarod. He had a small torch held between his teeth, lighting the way in the darkness of the elevator shaft.

But Jarod was thinking about the pool and what would happen if Mr Cox caught them. Jarod knew that things would be very bad for him, and Jarod was so very tired of doing things the hard way. Lyle would be so disappointed and Jarod would never be able to regain his trust. He would never get the hot water turned on in the showers. All his careful planning…..he shook himself at the sound of his father’s voice. He was gripped by indecision. It was not too late to go back. He peered up into the darkness, only just making out the figure of his father on the floor above. He steeled himself listening to that tiny voice buried deep within, swallowed his fear and started to climb. Within another five minutes they were both in the air vents crawling to freedom.

The Major kept his eyes on his watch, Jarod was beginning to lag behind and the Major was worried that they might not be able to make it in time. They still had a long way to go and the Major knew that they did not have time to stop for a rest. He feared that if Jarod stopped, he might not be able to get going again.

“Jarod, it's not that much further, you can do it.” he tried to encourage Jarod. He wished that there was more he could do to help him.

After an hour of crawling and climbing, Jarod's muscles had had enough. He was beginning to shake from fatigue and he was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to make it. The darkness felt like a physical thing trying to crush him and he was constantly fighting his panic. He was sucking in short shallow breaths and the dust from the vents was making his throat a raw burning pain. But he was now well past the point of no return and the thoughts of what they would do to him if they caught him spurred him on. He pushed himself forward, following the shadowy figure of his father ahead of him in the dim crawlspace. There was only single thought that was now going through his head as crawled along the endless passageways, pushing his body far beyond it's limits. And that thought was “I am never going back.”

Finally, Jarod could feel warm air pushing past him and he knew that they must be close. He smiled as he realised that it must be summer. He had been shut away from the world for so long now that he had not given the seasons any thought. He pushed himself a little harder, forcing his weary body to obey.

The Major climbed out of the pipe and turned to wait for Jarod. There was still fourteen minutes until 5am, until the alarm was raised. He reached in and helped pull Jarod out of the pipe and eased him gently to the ground. The Major was horrified at how little he weighed. Jarod lay on the grass, gasping for breath too exhausted to move.

“Jarod, stay here, I will be back in two minutes with the car. Don’t move.” His hand gripped him on the shoulder before he ran to where the van lay hidden. They were down to the wire with time and he wanted to be well on his way before the alarms were sounded.

Jarod watched his father go and fear gripped him. He was leaving him there. It was just like before. He shuddered to think what would happen when they found him outside. How would he explain it to Lyle? He tried to pull himself up using the pipe, but there was nothing left in him to use, he fell back down limply, his face lying in the grass. He closed his eyes and breathed in the smell of it. The warm night air felt like velvet on his skin and he no longer cared if they caught him or not. It was all worth it all, just for the sensation of warmth and the smell of the grass. He grabbed handfuls of grass and dirt and brought them close to his nose, breathing in deeply. It was the smell of life, the smell of freedom. He rolled over on his back and gazed up at the fading stars, clutching the grass to his chest, and sobbed at the sheer beauty of the panorama of the night sky displayed before him.

The Major wasted no time returning to Jarod. He got into the van and gunned the engine. It seemed ridiculously loud in the stillness of the pre-dawn. Light was only just beginning to creep over the eastern horizon, but he dared not risk turning on the headlights. Pulling up next to Jarod and looking at his watch, he saw that there was now only nine minutes before the alarm was raised. He quickly got out of the van and raced to where Jarod was lying. He reached down and as gently as he could, he picked him up and struggled with him to the back of the van. He laid him down on the mattress that was in the back and made his way back to the drivers seat. As he started making his way back to the house, he cast a glance over his shoulder, but it appeared that either Jarod was asleep, or passed out. He pulled out his phone and dialled Gem.


Gem was pacing on the front porch. He was still seething that his father had not allowed him to come. He looked at his watch for the hundredth time. It was almost 5 o'clock. If he knew that if he didn’t hear from his father in the next few minutes, he had failed. When the phone finally rang, Gem looked at it as if it was going to attack him. He slowly reached out picking it up, his heart in his throat.

“Gem! I got him son. We did it. We will be there in ten minutes. Grab everything and be ready to go.”

The Major had disconnected the call before Gem had even had a chance to respond. He put the phone down and let out the breath he had been holding. After a moment of stunned shock, a grin broke out on his face and he ran back inside the house to gather their few possessions. He disconnected his computer and packed that as well. He took a quick tour around the house, checking to make sure nothing was left behind. He then took the three bags and waited for his father.

It took all of Major Charles’ self control not to speed through the night. He constantly checked his rear view mirror. He could not afford to bring attention to themselves and a van at five in the morning speeding through this quite little town was something that was sure to be noticed. He concentrated on the road ahead of him and forced himself to stick to the speed limit. He pulled up to see Gem waiting in the driveway. Just as he opened the door to get out, the alarm on his watch informed him that it was 5am. They would know. The alarm would be raised and they would start their search. The Major just hoped that they had enough of a head start.

Gem’s head bobbed up as he heard the van. He jumped to his feet and ran to the car. His looked at his watch and saw that they were out of time. His father ran and picked up two of the bags, leaving Gem the third one.
“Get in the back son, see if you can help him.”

Within a minute they were heading west with the light of dawn chasing them.


Miss Parker’s House
5am

Parker had gotten no sleep that night. She had stalked around the house trying desperately to find something to do to calm her nerves. She pulled on one of Tommy’s shirts and hugged herself. She always found that she was calmer in his shirts, as if she was somehow closer to him, as if he was somehow still here. But tonight she felt guilty. She was wearing his shirt, but she was thinking about another man. She shrugged out of it and put on her silk pyjamas, and crawled into bed. If they were successful, there might be a chance that sweepers might turn up at her house, and she needed the appearance of normal routine. As the numbers on her clock ticked over to read 500, she held her breath. Please let it work. The minutes dragged by ever so slowly. After ten minutes she thought that she might go insane.
When the call finally came, she was so startled that she did not know what to do. She looked at it as if she had never seen a phone before. She closed her eyes and tried to inject the right tone in her voice so that it would appear she had just been woken.

“What?” It was somewhere between a snarl and a yawn.

“Jarod is gone…….get here now.” It was Raines.

She thought she had never heard a more beautiful sound in her entire life. She ran to the shower and prepared herself for the day. Jarod was out, and now she imagined that she would be reassigned to hunt for him.


Broot’s House
5am

Broots received the call a minute after the alarm had been sounded. His presence was demanded immediately. It seemed that somehow the surveillance on the Pretender had been doctored and he had somehow managed to escape. Broots’ expertise was required to find out what had happened. He hastily scribbled a note to Debbie and activated a virus he had left in the mainframe before he headed off to The Centre. He would have to be very careful now. He and Gem had devised a virus that would make it appear that the system had somehow been hacked from the outside. Broots hoped that it would be enough to deflect any suspicion that might be directed his way.

Sydney's House
5am

Sydney got little or no sleep either that night. So many things were going through his mind. He was praying desperately that they would succeed, but a small part of him was grieving as well. If he was honest with himself, he would have admitted that he was jealous of the easy and loving relationship between Major Charles and Gem. He had wanted to get closer to the boy, but the Major had made his wishes with respects to that particular matter very clear. Sydney looked at this phone again, willing it to ring, but it as yet remained silent. He knew it was unlikely that anyone would call him in the event of Jarod’s escape. Raines would exclude him out of spite and both Miss Parker and Broots could not risk it. Since none of them were technically involved in the Jarod Project, it would only cause suspicion. So he waited and prepared himself for another day at The Centre. He would know soon enough after he arrived.



Lyle’s Apartment
5am

Lyle was fast asleep when the call came in. He had a leg and an arm draped possessively over the tiny beauty that slept beside him. He fumbled for the phone and the girl stirred beside him.

“Don’t move.” He whispered into her ear, watching with pleasure the way she froze.

He leaned over her body, pressing his weight onto her, enjoying the way she squirmed in fear underneath him.

“This better be good.” He growled. “WHAT?!” He sat bolt upright in the bed, fully awake now. He flung the phone across the room and looked at the woman. He grabbed a handful of her hair and dragged her head roughly towards him, planting a bruising kiss on her mouth.

“Sorry sweetheart. Gotta go. Maybe you can join me for dinner sometime. I’ll call. Get dressed…” he picked up the jade green silk dress, balled it up and threw it at her surprised face. “….. and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.” He threw her clothes at her and did not spare her another glance.

Lyle could not believe it. Jarod was gone? It had to be some kind of mistake. Jarod no longer had the will to make a break for it. Lyle had seen to that. And there was simply no way that Jarod could execute an escape from either his cell, or the sub-level by himself That left only one option. He must have had outside help. Lyle quickly ran through a list of possibilities. Major Charles topped that list, but there were also other organizations that would love to get their hands on the Pretender. The Centre was certainly not the only game in town. Lyle’s mind was ticking off the possibilities as he made himself ready to leave. He looked at the now empty bed with some disappointment. He had not had his chance to finish his game with Vi-Mai, and he had probably scared her off now. Oh well, there were plenty more where that came from.
He took a moment to admire himself in his floor-to-ceiling mirror, decked out resplendently in a charcoal grey Armani. He smiled at his reflection, put on his calf-skin glove and made his way down to Lyle 3. His pet had escaped, but this could work to his advantage. What the others didn’t realise, was just what a firm hold Lyle had on the rat’s leash. Jarod might be out, but he was not free. If Jarod was still alive, and not under the control of a rival group, he would be in contact soon, and Lyle knew who he would be calling. That thought made up for the lost opportunity with the girl.

As Lyle made his way to The Centre, all new kinds of possibilities were forming in his mind. If he could get his hands on Jarod without The Centre knowing, he could go straight to the Triumvirate in Africa, by-passing Raines altogether. He would be in a position to demand almost anything. But not straight away, he would have some private time with Jarod first. He had some special projects in mind, things that he had not risked while Jarod was at The Centre. It would not do to have daddy-dear find out about his plans, and Lyle had long-term plans indeed. Jarod might even be able to help him with some of his extra-curricular games. He increased his speed and was practically racing towards The Centre now. He would play the role of outraged handler, let Raines and the others bumble their way through searches and manhunts. Lyle would nod and smile and do what was demanded of him, and secretly he would make his preparations. He had much to do if he planned to keep Jarod himself for any length of time. But for now, he would wait, bide his time and let Jarod come to him.