Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Timeline – This prequel to Season One takes place about one year before Jarod’s escape and includes flashbacks to the children’s’ past.



Summary: Sydney and Dr. Patrice sip cognac, commiserate, and reminisce. Meanwhile, Alicin has a visitor.





Alicin Wonderland by Lizz Part 6 Cognac


Dr. Patrice was reaching for her phone to make a call when she heard a soft knocking at the door. “Come,” she called out. The door swung inward to reveal Sydney standing in the doorway. He stepped into the light oak-paneled office and quietly closed the door behind him.



“I understand this establishment serves a fine cognac,” he smiled.



“Indeed it does. I’ll even seat you at the owner’s table.” Dr. Patrice directed Sydney to the sitting area between her desk and the door. He lowered himself into one of the two maroon faux-suede loveseats that flanked a tiny gas-log fireplace along one wall. Between the two sat an elaborately embroidered ottoman. Beside one stood an antique reading lamp with a frosted glass shade. “Put your feet up, Syd, you look tired. I’ll fetch the drinks.”



Sydney took in the room as he waited. It was long and narrow with deep-pile carpeting a few shades lighter than the furniture. Dr. Patrice’s glass-topped desk stretched across the end wall and was enclosed on three sides by well-stocked bookshelves. Several large, framed lithographs graced the walls, all by the same artist, who was named A. Patrice. Each had its own accent light mounted directly above the frame. Indirect lighting circled the room and cast shadows of the furnishings on the walls and floor. His surroundings put him at ease immediately.



“Your drink, sir.”



“Thank you, Patrice.” Sydney accepted the snifter and swirled the cognac it held. “You’ve managed to create a comfortable retreat in these rooms of yours, but I’m curious. How did you manage to acquire a fireplace?”



She sank into the seat opposite him and propped her feet next to his on the ottoman. “Would you believe it happened by accident?” Sydney’s expression told her that he did not. “These rooms used to be a chem lab complete with running water, exhaust hoods and Bunsen burners. When maintenance was converting all this to office space they had to cap the lines. One of the men asked if I could think of a use for the fuel before they closed the wall. That’s when I thought of the fireplace. I don’t think you’ll find a work order for it, though.” She winked at him with a small smile. She apologized as she stifled a yawn and asked, “Is this day ever going to end? I’m down to my last two red corpuscles!”



Sydney chuckled and sipped the rich amber liquid in his snifter. “Feel like talking about it?”



“I’m not sure I’ve processed it all yet.” She let out a deep sigh and didn’t speak for a moment. “When she no longer needs my care, Alicin is going to need yours, Syd. Probably for a long time. Certainly more than the seven days Raines gave you or at least what’s left of them when she’s finally well enough to talk about what happened. The question is, will you get the chance? Syd, in all my years of trauma practice here I’ve never seen anything like this.” She stood and walked to her desk, and returned with a medical chart. Without a word, she handed it to Sydney, who opened it.



He was looking at the chart illustrating Alicin’s injuries and the accompanying written description. His eyes narrowed as he studied the red and blue marks on the body outlines. Expressions of shock, pity and then anger flashed across his face. He was at a loss for comment.



She continued. “Four other members of Raines’ team have been here in the last three months, all with the same strain of what’s probably some version of the flu, all exhibiting signs of physical and mental exhaustion. I thought Alicin was number five for our unit, then this,” she gestured toward the file Sydney was holding; “this was deliberate and brutal and meant to intimidate. “Syd,” Patrice leaned toward him,” I want whoever did this. There is no power high enough, no bank account big enough, no hole deep enough to protect him from me.” There was something in her voice that frightened him, but the look in her eyes was utterly chilling.



“We,” he corrected.



“I beg your pardon? Oui?”



“I meant ‘we’ as in ‘us’, you and I, Patrice. It is so like you to champion the defenseless, but you must not go after Raines alone. He’s far too dangerous! Be warned, if you’re looking for justice, you’ll bide your time and formulate a plan before you act.”



“Well, aren’t you the voice of reason, as always.”



“What is that supposed to mean?”



“I’m sorry, Syd, it’s the fatigue talking. It was meant to be a joke.” Patrice sighed and rubbed her eyes. “But you have to admit it; you were the serious one in med school.”



“I suppose I was. Jacob had enough of a social life for the both of us! And you are trying to change the subject. I’m serious about the danger here. You’ve made this personal and that’s an added risk. ”



“The assault was personal, Syd!” She hesitated to speak the next piece of information, namely that this was her patient’s first sexual experience. When she finally found the words, Sydney’s jaw tightened visibly. He dropped the folder on the ottoman and slumped back in his seat. “It has all the earmarks of an ongoing pattern of abuse by the same person,” she continued. “The x-rays will bear me out on that, as will the photographic record. DNA recovery will give me the swine that did this. When I hand him over to the law, his fate will be sealed and he’ll be grateful I’m not the one trying him.”



“Patrice, you need to proceed with caution. I don’t want to see you ruined because you let your feelings get in the way of reason. I am willing to help you—and Alicin—but not at the cost of your safety! Please promise to include me in this. I implore you as a friend and colleague, but for the most part as a friend. ”



“How about this: I won’t make a move without discussing it with you first?”



“It’s a start. “ He sighed as if he had something to add but fell silent instead. For several moments, they sat in the light of the softly hissing fireplace and said nothing.



Patrice spoke at last. “Suppose we visit our patient before quitting time?”



“Fine,” came the reply and the old friends left the office in an uneasy silence.



=====



The overhead lights were bright. They were always bright, giving the impression of perpetual noon on the equator. The constant illumination kept the Centre’s subjects alert and on task with no anticipation of rest or eating governed by changing light levels.



Elinore slowed the wheelchair with its passenger to a stop in front of the duty desk. ”Any room at the inn?”



Naomi pointed to Broots and Earl at the end of the hall, waiting for the elevator. “You’re in luck. The decorators just finished.” That said, she crossed the hall and held open the door to Dr. Patrice’s sitting room.



A bed and the accoutrements of a hospital room were positioned just inside the door. In the middle of the room, opposite the door to her office was the entrance to Dr. Patrice’s private washroom, which included a shower. Not many feet further, the far end of the room was covered with pale gold drapes. In front of them sat a chaise lounge and an overstuffed armchair on either side of a low chest of drawers. Alicin’s gaze was held briefly by the stained glass shade that topped the lamp on the chest. Jewel-colored hummingbirds hovered above flowers of brilliant red and deep pink, all on a background of green leaves and scraps of blue sky. The entire room would have been under the watchful eye of the video camera mounted by the door, but was not quite ready because of a missing cable.



“Let’s get you into bed.” Elinore set the brakes on the wheelchair and the two nurses helped their sedated patient onto edge of the bed. Once tucked in, she settled into the covers and rolled onto her side to face the lamp. Its beauty and depth of color touched her soul and made her eyes fill with tears.



“We’ll check back in a little while. We’re just across the hall.” Naomi nodded at Elinore and the two nurses left the room, leaving the wheelchair behind.



=====



At the sound of the name ‘Alicin’, the figure in the air vent drew in a short breath. He reached out with his mind, trying to sense an emotional signature from the person in the bed. His senses were heightened as he stared at the object of his curiosity.



He thought the nurses would never leave. They were nice, but they were in the way. When he was certain the young woman in the bed was asleep, he dared a closer look. Knowing the video feed was not yet online, he dropped into the room quietly and approached the bed.



No hair, he thought, just like the babies. The stubble was spiky against his hand as he took a risk and touched her scalp. A great wave of anguish washed over him, nearly causing him to cry out. Withdrawing the hand, he pulled the wheelchair to the side of the bed to sit and study the pale face that lay on the pillow. The answers he sought after stood just at the edge of his memory. Taking a deep breath, Angelo placed his hand over hers and prepared for the onslaught of emotion that was sure to come.



The images fought for attention in his mind’s eye. In rapid succession he saw men in black suits, a boy’s smiling face, a kind woman in blue, a black and white floor covered with long locks of hair. Accompanying the images were Alicin’s strong feelings. He sensed fear, respect, torment, regret, physical pain and the sorrow of loss. There was something else, though. He discerned friendship, deep and intimate. It was a friendship that held laughter, companionship, admiration…and wonder.



The encounter left him weak. He wept. Angelo discerned a connection with this ‘Alicin’. Not a new connection, either. She was from his past. But what part? A good part? It seemed so the more he pondered it. And this face? He could not place her in any scene from his past. Reluctantly, he stood to leave, already planning his next visit. Not really knowing why, he leant over the pillow and placed a gentle kiss on Alicin’s forehead. The fragrance of her skin stirred something familiar on the outer edge of his memory, just out of reach. He disappeared into the air vent as footsteps approached from the hall.



Alicin slipped a hand from under the covers and placed her fingers over the tingling place on her forehead. With a deep, contented sigh she burrowed further into the warmth of her bed and smiled. “Timmy…” she murmured as she sank into to the arms of sleep once more.



End Part 6

TBC

Feedback?