Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Alicin Wonderland

By Lizz

Part 10

Something Wicked This Way Comes





1996

Day One—late evening

Jarod’s Quarters



Jarod heard his door whisper open and looked up from the three-ring binder he was reading in time to see Sydney step into the room. The psychiatrist sat on the edge of the flat futon where Jarod was seated with his legs folded in the lotus position, still absorbed in the notebook in his lap.



“That must be very interesting reading, Jarod,” he mused.



“It is, Sydney! Look at this.” The Pretender put the notebook aside, slid himself close to his trainer and handed the older man a white legal pad filled with writing and mathematic notations. “I’ve reviewed the outcome of one of the three archived simulations you gave me. I used each of the four research documents you provided, and one of them produced a more accurate prediction of outcome than my original work! His work is detailed and he obviously has access to more sources than either of us. I’d really like to meet this person. I believe that his background work could help me improve my outcomes and give the Centre better results for its clients. I’ve already asked Mr. Broots for hard copies of both sets of research, his and mine, to compare. This is the only one, so far.” Jarod lifted the white binder for Sydney to see.



“I know, Jarod. Broots informed me of your request and I authorized the printing. You should have the rest by the end of your next sleep period.”



“Thank you, Sydney. I’ll start reviewing the second simulation. Would it be possible to schedule study periods between or around my work in the lab?” Jarod’s voice held an eagerness that his elder could not refuse.



“I’m certain that can be arranged. Your early findings are intriguing. I’ll be interested in what you find on the others.”



“Have you come to play chess, too?” Jarod asked with a smile.



“I could be persuaded.” Sydney smiled at the sudden shift in topic and stood to arrange two chairs on either side of the small table they always used for their challenges. Jarod was already on his way to retrieve the wooden set from his desk.



Once they had settled in, Sydney made his first move, sat back in his seat and asked, “Of course, you won’t just let me win because I’m your elder, will you, Jarod?”



“Of course not,” came the cheerful reply.



Three games later, Sydney stretched his weary frame and assured Jarod that the young man would have an opportunity to even the score.



After exchanging farewells, Sydney left for his office and, perchance, some sleep. His mind kept returning to his friend and colleague Patrice and her adamant view of Angelo’s abilities. He hadn’t liked disagreeing with her. Their positions regarding the quiet man’s ability to understand and respond to the world around him stood on separate islands in a very wide sea. He hoped she wasn’t setting herself up for disappointment, or worse, professional embarrassment.

=====



Sydney’s Office



Once inside, Sydney showered and pulled on his sweats. He was too tired to read and too wired to sleep. He quickly quaffed a nightcap, and settled into his recliner with a down blanket and a pillow from the bottom of his closet. In fewer than five minutes he was asleep and approaching the first dream of the night…



Jacob was with him, standing outside the barracks while the soldiers counted the prisoners every day. Sometimes they were there for hours in the cold and the rain. There was a commotion to their right as two soldiers appeared dragging a young girl between them. The soldiers presented her to the assemblage as an example of what would happen to those who did not work up to their potential for the Reich. She was dropped onto the mud at their feet. She was covered with bruises, her lip was bleeding and her hair been cut off close to the scalp. The boys clung to one another but could not take their eyes away from her…



Sydney let out a string of whimpers and thrashed about, sat up at one point, and finally lay back on his pillow. Sleep did not return as he stared into the darkness overhead. With a heavy sigh, he sat up, slipped into his socks and running shoes and headed for the cafeteria, hoping for the comforting presence of other human beings.

=====



Later

The Cafeteria



He wasn’t hungry, nor was he thirsty. Taking a plastic tray from the stack, Sydney started slowly through the line, past food and drink that did not interest him the least bit. Finally, he selected a cup of hot water and a packet of what his American colleagues accepted as tea and swiped his photo ID card through the debit machine at the end of the counter. Hesitating a moment, he retrieved a lemon slice before passing through the turnstile. Once seated where he could watch the others in the room, the weary doctor unwrapped the teabag and looked at it for a moment. Then he set it aside and squeezed juice from the lemon slice into the cup instead, inhaling the aroma deeply.



Not very much later, movement at the door caught his eye. Patrice entered, unaware of his presence. Gone were her lab coat and the athletic shoes. In their place she wore dark gray slacks with a matching turtleneck sweater and cordovan loafers. A camelhair coat was draped around her shoulders. Her long hair was equal parts black and silver-gray, pulled into a ponytail, of all things, Sydney noted. The hair was caught up in a curved silver cuff that was high on the back of her head, allowing the hair to swing freely when she moved. The good looks of her college days had matured into classic beauty, Sydney thought absently. He watched as she passed the fare with an interest that rivaled his own and selected an apple. When she finally looked his way, he waved at her to join him. She returned the wave and approached his table.



“Is that the official beverage of Centre insomniacs?” she smiled.



“I beg your pardon?”



“The hot water and lemon.”



“Ahh, yes,” he said with sudden understanding. “I’m sorry; my mind was drifting just now.”



“That’s okay. I feel the same, to tell the truth. I couldn’t sleep, how about you?” she said, sliding into the chair across from him.



He simply shook his head.



“Understandable, considering the last,” she looked at her watch, “eighteen hours.”



“Has it only been that long?” he responded with a wry smile.



“Only?” she said, giving him an exaggerated look of disbelief that melted into another smile.



“I must be on the downside of the theory of relativity,” he smiled weakly.



“Which is?”



“Surely you remember the explanation that was posted outside the Physics lab? “If a man holds his hand on a hot stove, a minute seems like and hour, but if a man sits and talks with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. That’s relativity!”



“And you feel like you’ve been sitting on the stove?”



“Precisely.”



“Then it’s time to hop off, Doctor. Drink up. We’ll go for a walk.” When he hesitated she chided, “Well, come on then! The fresh air will do you good. Doctor’s orders!” Rising from her seat, she grabbed the apple from her tray and took a huge bite, grinning as she chewed.



Sydney wasn’t quite sure what to do. He really didn’t want to go out for a walk, yet he didn’t want to sit under the artificial light of the cafeteria either, despite the presence of other employees. He certainly wasn’t ready to return to his office. Patrice was insistent, though, and soon they were on their way.



“You might want to grab a jacket on the way out,” she suggested.



“You’re serious about going outside?”



“Don’t worry. I told the house mother I’d have you back by curfew.” Her smile was playful and her eyes lit up when she said it. Sydney gave in and collected his jacket and hat from his office. They signed out at the main entrance and stepped into a clear, moonlit night.

=====



Later

The Centre-Outside



“I overheard Broots telling my staff a joke. Would you like to hear it?” Patrice asked as the two friends started down the gravel path to the narrow beach.



“If it’s a good one,” came a reply that bordered on the skeptical.



“Alright, how many sweepers does it take to change a light bulb?”



“How many?”



“None,” she said, turning around to face the building and lowering her voice to a dramatic stage whisper. “The Centre looks better in the dark!”



Sydney chuckled appreciatively as they continued their stroll.

=====



At the same time

The Infirmary



“How about a coffee, Sam?” Naomi offered the chief sweeper her own cup of dark aromatic brew.



“No thanks, Omi. I’m actually an orange pekoe kind of guy.”



“We got that too, mister,” she teased in a noticeably deeper accent. “You wan’ the crème and sugar wi’ that?”



“Just the sugar will be fine, thanks.” He was laughing softly.



Naomi returned with a mug, spoon, and two sugar packets on a small tray. “Your tea, mister sweeper,” she whispered.



“Tanks,” was the man’s accented reply as he took the tray from the nurse. Naomi flashed a smile that made him blush and then returned to her duties. Sam took a deep breath in an attempt to calm himself. He had talked with Naomi on other occasions, usually involving the delivery of a patient or treatment of an injury, but never while working together as they were now. On one of those occasions she had given him permission to call her Omi, the shortened form of her given name. She wasn’t exactly fussing over him, but he liked her show of interest. Thoughts of what, if anything, he would do about it, however, would have to wait until this assignment was over.



Just then, Earl strode up to the duty station and asked to speak with Sam privately. The two men disappeared into the nearest unoccupied patient room. Several moments later, the men emerged. Sam returned to his post and made a brief call on his cell phone. Earl headed for the freight elevator.



“What’s that all about?” Elinore asked of no one in particular.



“He probably wanted to show Sam his latest Victoria’s Secret catalog,” Joanna answered with a wicked smile.



“This is Earl we’re talking about, Jo.” Elinore raised an eyebrow.



“My mistake. “I meant to say, ‘He probably wanted to show Sam his latest Sears Lawn & Garden catalog.’ ”



“Now that’s our man!” Elinore giggled.



Joanna handed Elinore the duty roster for the coming week. The team members would take their usual morning or afternoon shifts. A different person would be assigned to each overnight shift during the week to monitor Alicin’s recovery. Joanna then started the paperwork that marked the end of her shift for the day. After that, she would wake Angelo and send him on his way.



The muted ping alerted her to the elevator’s arrival, but it was the steady rhythmic squeak of metal on metal that commanded the Joanna’s attention. “Oh, my God! Code in Dr. Patrice now!” she ordered Elinore, who immediately reached for the phone. And to Sam, “Keep him away from that room!” He pulled out his cell phone to alert back up.

=====



At the same time

The Centre—Outside



A muffled chirp interrupted the doctors’ conversation and both reached for their pagers.



“It’s yours,” Sydney stated and returned the device to his jacket pocket.



Patrice read her message and exploded. “Damn! I should have guessed this would happen!”



“What is it?”



“Raines! He’s paying a late-night visit!” Without another word she was running toward the main entrance, her footsteps crunching sharply along the path. Sydney followed, trying in vain to keep up with her.

=====



At the same time

The Infirmary



Joanna approached the visitor, who was flanked by two sweepers she knew as Willie and Jerry. “Good eveni—I guess we should make that ‘good morning’—Mr. Raines, gentlemen.” She hoped her smile was convincing. “Is there something I can help you with?” As she spoke, she automatically checked and adjusted the flow of oxygen from the green tank and straightened a kink in the vinyl tubing that held the cannula in place under Mr. Raines’ nose. He did not object or try to stop her.



“Where is Dr. Patrice? I need to talk to her.” Raines demanded.



“I’m not sure. She said something about stopping at the cafeteria and then going out to her car for something, but she should be returning sometime soon.” Joanna wasn’t exactly lying. “Would you like me to have her call you when she checks in?” Her smile was beginning slip.



“I’ll wait.” Raines declared.



Not what I wanted to hear, thought Joanna. She tried, “How about some coffee in the meantime? Elinore? Please show these gentlemen to the sitting area and be sure the coffee bar is stocked.” Turning to Raines, she said, “The area is newly remodeled. You’ll be quite comfortable.”



“I prefer to wait in Dr. Patrice’s office.”



Joanna suppressed a knowing smile and approached the office door. “Of course, Mr. Raines. Right in he—” she stopped in mid sentence as she turned the knob on a door she knew was locked. She rattled the knob noisily and said, “Oh, it’s locked. Naomi,” she called, “find out who has a key to this office besides Dr. Patrice.”



“Yes Ms. DeBeer.” Naomi’s formal manner of reply told Joanna that her message was clearly understood. There were, in fact, two keys in the corridor at that moment and neither woman was going to own up to the fact.



“Never mind,” growled the annoyed Mr. Raines. “We’ll be in the lounge until she gets here.” And so he disappeared around the corner trailing his oxygen tank and the two sweepers.



Only after she was satisfied that the three intruders were settled in the lounge did Joanna turn her back on them. She flew to Alicin’s door, which Sam flung open as soon as he noticed her approach. She hurried to the back of the room to where the friends lay asleep in each other’s arms.



“Alicin, Angelo, wake up! Joanna pulled Alicin into a standing position and shook her hard. “C’mon, Alicin. Wake up, girl!”



“Hmmm? Wha-at?” came the foggy reply.



“Alicin, this is important. I want you to go into the bathroom and lock the door. And do not—I mean it—do not open the door for anyone but Dr. Patrice or me. Got it?” Her patient looked at her with a blank stare and nodded. Joanna aimed Alicin at the bathroom door and gave her a shove.



She then turned to Angelo. She shook him awake with an urgency that sizzled like electricity against his skin. He awoke, acutely aware of the danger. He was afraid for himself. He was more afraid for Alicin. Joanna’s touch conveyed the feel of the vinyl tubing and the hiss of oxygen. That meant that he was here. And that couldn’t be good for either one of them. Angelo knew he could take care of himself, but he also knew that Alicin was not yet ready to hold her own against William Raines. And now the former doctor was after her. Of that, Angelo was certain.



The young man was on his feet and headed for the door when Joanna stopped him with a hoarsely whispered, “NO! You can’t go that way!” She pushed him into Dr. Patrice’s office and dragged a chair into position below the air vent. “Get up there, Angelo!” she snapped. “Now! There’s no time! Just go before he finds you here!” With a furrowed brow, Angelo stepped onto the chair and vaulted into the crawl space. Joanna returned to the door and locked it. Then she sent another urgent pager message to Dr. Patrice.

=====



At the same time

The Duty Desk



It happened quickly. Willie and Jerry Wurth approached Sam wearing smiles. They informed him that his backup had been intercepted and that Mr. Raines wanted to see his researcher. Sam refused. They insisted and took a step toward Alicin’s room. Sam went for his gun and the two slammed him into the wall behind the desk and disarmed him. Willie threw him to the floor. Sam heard the squeak of Raines’ approach just as Jerry delivered a vicious kick to the sweeper’s head that sent him spinning into darkness.

=====



Alicin’s Room



Alicin was standing in the middle of her room, a few steps from where Joanna had pushed her, trying to remember what she was supposed to do. The hallway door opened and her eyes went wide with fear. Tremors radiated through her body from an epicenter near her heart. She could feel her teeth clattering against each other and her muscles twitched to help her body maintain its balance. The room suddenly felt cold and there was an annoying itch at the base of her left thumb that wouldn’t stop. “What do you want?” she said to the figure silhouetted against the hallway lights, trying not to sound as terrified as she felt.



William Raines stepped into the room. “Just to see that you’re on the road to recovery.”



She countered with two backward steps of her own. “Just as long as that road leads back to your front door, I suppose?”



“You do work for me,” he reminded, still advancing on her.



“And if I refuse? What then?” She had retreated until her back was touching the door to the Doctor’s office.



“A little vacation in the Renewal Wing will help to correct your errant thinking,” he said with a chilling smile.



She’d heard rumors about that place. Some of her colleagues weren’t convinced that it actually existed, since no one purported to have been sent there had ever been returned. After all, if the purpose of the place was to reeducate a person, it would follow that said person would have to be returned to the panel to resume work. That hadn’t happened. The place was probably a myth. Probably.



Alicin’s countenance had slipped a notch, but she quickly managed a face that poker players would pay to own. “Would you risk losing my talent? You did call me ‘brilliant’.”



“I also called you a pain in the ass. What’s your point?”



Alicin swallowed hard. Her heart was punching its way out of her chest and her lungs didn’t seem able to take in enough air to support consciousness. She felt weak-kneed and breathless. What is my point, I have no leverage here, she thought. Had she not been leaning against the door, she would have collapsed under the weight of the cloud of despair that had just settled on her.



“Bill!” came a sudden, loud pronouncement from the doorway. Dr. Patrice strode to the middle of the room, hand extended and a practiced smile on her face. “My staff told me you were here. What can I do for you?” He stepped to the middle of the room and shook her hand and the two began to engage in polite ritual social talk, sizing each other up as they did.



As doctor and former doctor were speaking, the door behind Alicin began to move forward. “Alicin, move away from the door!” It was Joanna speaking in a forced whisper. “Move away from the door, Alicin. Move!”



I c-can’t,” she peeped.



Joanna continued to push until she could fit her head and shoulder through the opening. “Alicin, look at me.” Wild eyes met her own. She proceeded carefully, quietly. “Alicin, come with me.” The older woman reached around the door and took Alicin firmly by the hand. When Joanna met Alicin’s gaze again, she saw raw, paralyzing fear at war with a driving urge to flee. She squeezed Alicin’s hand, more firmly this time. “Alicin, come. Now.”



Alicin swallowed a few times, glancing frantically from Raines and Dr. Patrice in the middle of the room to the bathroom door behind them.



“What’s wrong?” Joanna asked softly.



“I…I think I’m gonna be sick!” Alicin slapped both hands over her mouth and started to gag.



Joanna swung Alicin away from her place in front of the door. Then, shoving the door open, she yanked the young researcher inside the office and bent her over a wastebasket. After several minutes, from the adjoining room, Dr. Patrice was saying in a slightly louder than necessary voice, “Why don’t we continue our conversation next door, Bill, where we can be comfortable?” On that cue, Joanna seized Alicin and the wastebasket and rushed out of the office and into the hallway.

=====



The Hall



Joanna stopped so abruptly that she nearly lost hold of Alicin. Sam lay motionless on the floor where Willie had dropped him; his head was lying in a small puddle of blood. It appeared that both sweepers were gone, for now. She quickly seated Alicin behind the duty desk and called out for Elinore and Naomi. The response came in muffled cries from the supply closet. Once freed, Elinore tended to Alicin. Naomi and Joanna struggled to haul Sam onto a gurney and took him into Exam 1, where they began to treat his head wound. It would require several stitches. No fractures were apparent, but x-rays would be taken later.



Back at the duty desk, Alicin was fighting to regain her composure. “My situation hasn’t improved, has it?” she lamented.



“Actually, no,” Elinore answered plainly. “Let’s get you to another room before someone remembers why he came up here in the first place.” The two women stood and Elinore led the way to a little used office around the corner near the elevators. Alicin was beginning to notice the pain of her injuries. That fact was beginning to show on her face and in her movements. Soon, when they reached their destination, Elinore would offer her something to ease the pain. Alicin would accept without protest.



When Sydney finally arrived, he found the corridor in front of the duty desk empty, except for an alarming smear of blood on the floor. He was grateful that he had stopped in his office to retrieve his sidearm before coming here. It was pressing into his ribs beneath his tweed jacket as he approached the door to Patrice’s office, knowing whom he would find inside.

=====



End Alicin Wonderland Part 10

TBC

Feedback: lizzkirsch@hotmail.com