Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: The Pretender and it's characters are protected copyright of NBC. This story is independent fan fiction and no infringements of copyright intended. All other characters are purely imaginative and any similarity to real person/persons or place is coincidental.

A special thanks to Yip and Danielle for their help with editing.



Masquerade II
by Ra-Chell





"I'm responsible for what? Just how did you come to that brilliant conclusion?" An angry Miss Parker stood with her arms crossed, glaring at Lyle seated in her father's office. Tension between the two had been building since Henry's party. At times even their comments to each other contained thinly veiled threats.

"Please sit down Miss Parker so we can discuss this rationally." Lyle's calm manner irritated her. Then with a small smile he added, "You are my sister and I don't want any hard feelings between us. After all ... we are family."

"Sit down Angel." She continued to stand. "I said sit down!" It was a command and she did as her father said.

"All I said was..." Lyle paused. "you're responsible for Jarod's escape with Henry's merchandise."

She scowled. "And how did you deduce that Sherlock?"

"By shooting him you provided him with the perfect means of escape." She suddenly had a sickening feeling in the pit of her stomach as Lyle leaned towards her. "You knew he had a bullet proof vest on, that's why you shot him in the chest. If you wanted to kill him you would have shot him in the head." Then with a small laugh he continued. " Of course, if you really wanted to keep him from getting away, you could have shot him in the leg or foot. I've seen you shoot." He shook his head. "You don't miss."

"And why would I want to help Jarod?" Her voice took on the calm self assured tone she slipped behind when faced with trouble. "I want to bring him back to the Centre more than anyone. I have the most to gain from his return." Her eyes narrowed. " So you tell me ...why would I help him?"

Lyle leaned back in his chair and sighed. "Because you have become emotionally involved. I have two sweepers who saw you talking with him in a secluded area of Henry's garden. I don't remember seeing anything in your report about..."

"And these sweepers who 'supposedly' saw this, they wouldn't happen to answer to Brigitte would they?"

"It doesn't matter. What does matter is that you are no longer effective. I'm giving you the option to pull yourself from the team or I write a recommendation and submit it. I believe we both know what will happen if I do that." He was serious now.

She looked at her father who sat silently watching the two. "You'll have a letter on your desk in the morning Daddy." Her voice almost betrayed her. 'Caught between a rock and a hard place'. Who used to say that? Well it summed up her situation perfectly. Lyle had more clout than her, even her father had sided with him. His recommendation could place her in danger. "Where do you plan to re-assign me?" She turned and gave Lyle a despised look. "Or do I have the privilege of asking?"

"I'll let you know in the morning Angel." Her father's voice took on a tone of false security. " Now don't worry, you're doing the right thing. We're family here..."

***

"Earp, Jarod Earp sir." He extended his hand to the tall thin man with the sandy red hair and mustache. He looked more like a cowboy seated behind the desk than a sergeant for the sheriff's department. Even his office had a definite cowboy atmosphere.

"Any relationship to Wyatt Earp son?" His grip was strong and Jarod liked that.

"Sorry sir. I don't believe so but I am your new deputy. I thought I'd stop by, introduce myself and meet my F.T.O." His new sergeant put his cowboy boots on the desk and leaned back in his chair.

"F. T. O.?"

"Field training officer sir? I was told I would ride with someone the first week."

"Son, this is a sub station. The only F.T.O. you're gonna see here is this." He reached behind him and pulled out a book of maps which he tossed on the desk. "'One desert, one cop.' You start tomorrow on the midnight to eight shift. Show up, be on time, don't sleep on duty, don't get caught in bed with another man's wife and you'll do just fine."

"But sir, this substation covers eight hundred square miles, I was told..." Jarod picked up the map book.

"Look son. I understand you spent eight years with the Los Angeles Police Department before you came here. But if you want to be coddled you should have stayed in the city. The only thing you get here is O.J.T."

"O.J.T.?"

"On the job training. Now if you want to ride with someone I suggest you get your ass out there and ride with the day deputy."

***

"Miss ...um Miss Parker, why are you cleaning out your desk? You're not leaving are you?" Broots stood before her with the look of a lost child.

Poor Broots, he had been her verbal punching bag, a loyal co-worker and she would miss him more than she cared to admit.

"Yes Broots. I'm being re-assigned. You won't have to put up with the 'Ice Queen' anymore." A small smile played at her lips as she used the nickname she had earned at the Centre.

"I don't understand Parker. What happened?" A concerned Sydney stood in the doorway.

"According to Lyle and my father I'm too emotionally involved with Jarod to be effective." She laughed at the thought. "I've been accused of aiding the enemy! Lyle finally got his wish... bastard! ... he's in charge now. Well," She placed the lid on the box and took one last look around. "we'll see just how effective he is in catching Jarod."

"Re-assigned where?" Sydney asked. She shook her head.

"I don't know yet but do me a favor. Keep me informed. " She placed a hand on Broots' shoulder. "And take care of yourselves. I don't plan on being gone long and I want both of you here when I come back. Understood?"

* * *

"Let me get this straight. You cover eight hundred square miles which includes two small towns, several mining operations, an airport and the motto of your sub-station is 'one desert, one cop'?"

"That pretty much sums it up. We do have some farming and ranching out here. A lot of this is open range, so watch out for the cows O.K.?"

Frank grinned at Jarod. "We're the largest county in the state according to size not population. And as far as the county is concerned this little corner of the desert doesn't exist..." He shook his head and laughed. "until they want votes or tax money. We're undermanned and understaffed. The guy you're replacing left three weeks ago. Now your closest back up will be either the deputy in Baker twenty miles to the south or the deputy in Kings twenty five miles to the west." Frank smiled. "Either way you are on your own. Think you can handle that?" The patrol car pulled to a stop in front of a small cafe and they got out.

"I thought you were going to show me around. It's ten thirty in the morning and you're having lunch?" Jarod followed the day deputy inside.

"Coffee. Besides I'll introduce you to Leroy, he's the director of the airport district. It was a military base during World War II. A big airport but no commercial flights here! It's used mostly by private planes and companies like Aero-West who retro fit some of the older military aircraft for private use. Other than a few drug runners now and then, not much happens out there." Jarod followed him over to a table where two men were seated. "Hey Leroy meet our new deputy Jarod Earp. And this here is Henry Funk who owns Aero-West."

"Any relationship to Wyatt Earp?" Henry asked as he shook Jarod's hand.

"No, I don't believe so sir."

"Well stop by my business at the airport sometime and I'll show you around."

Henry laughed and eyed the waitress as she walked by.

"Thanks, I'll do that." Jarod followed Frank over to a booth in the corner.

"He seems friendly enough but I get the feeling you don't like him." Jarod quizzed Frank who continued to watch Henry.

"Nope. People around here don't care much for him. About fifteen years ago Henry had a run in with Sammy, one of our local cowboys. He backed his car into Sammy's truck and the fight was on." Frank grinned. "He kicked Henry's ass. Two weeks later Sammy disappeared and hasn't been seen since."

His smile faded. " Seems people Henry doesn't like have a habit of disappearing."

"And Renee Bell, the woman who disappeared." Jarod looked back at Henry. "She worked for Henry didn't she?"

"Yeah, she sure did. Hated Henry but when you're a single parent with a kid you don't always have a choice. I'm not saying she slept with him, I don't think Renee would do that. But you have to wonder if he didn't have something to do with her disappearance."

* * *

Miss Parker stared into the drink on the table before her. Eight weeks, one day, since she last saw Jarod and spoke with him. Six weeks and three days since she was removed from her assignment to find him. Damn! Her father and Lyle were wrong, she wasn't emotionally involved, just obsessed. Working at the Centre would do that to anyone. It was the Centre's fault that she thought about him day and night. It was her job.

She ran her finger around the rim of the glass. From her table in the corner she watched a couple sitting with their fingers entwined and their dinner growing cold. She had been coming to Dino's since she was a child. The dark restaurant was dimly lit with soft lights and candles, flowers on the table and music in the background. Depending on your point of view it could be the perfect setting for either a romantic rendezvous or a clandestine meeting. Looking past the couple she could see him standing in the shadows watching her. Finally he walked over to her table.

"Mind if I join you Miss Parker?"

"Sure you want to do that Syd? I understand that you and Broots were told not to talk to me about the progress you've made concerning Jarod." She stirred her drink with her finger.

"I don't think having dinner has anything to do with Jarod." He sat down across from her and picked up a menu. "Have you ordered yet?"

"You know damn well I haven't." She narrowed her eyes. " So if this doesn't concern Jarod then why did you follow me here?"

"I didn't follow you. I came to Dino's for Mario's veal scaloppine. I didn't expect to find you here." Sydney looked at her over the top of his menu. They both knew better.

"Sure and I'm the Easter Bunny. So how's life with Lyle?" She resumed stirring her drink.

"Interesting. And your new assignment?"

"Boring. The Centre has me buried in useless reports to keep me out of Lyle's way. But," She smiled and took a drink. " I see he still hasn't found Jarod."

"Your father and Lyle may be right. You have become too emotionally involved. I warned you Miss Parker." He shook his head. "It's not...."

"Etu Brutus?" She knew Sydney was right. Why else would she have helped him at Henry's party? The dreams of commiting suicide with Jarod were her own attempts to warn herself and she had ignored them. Now re-assigned she still monitored the search through a signal she had arranged with Broots. There was a clear view of his favorite vending machine from her new office and if he got potato chips things were status quo, a candy bar meant they had a lead. So far it had been potato chips. "Why are you here Syd?" He looked around before speaking.

" Henry Funk thinks a new deputy in a small town looks like Jarod. He's been asking about Henry's business there. Broots intercepted the message. We can conceal it from Lyle for twenty four hours but no longer than that."

He slid a folded piece of paper across to her and put the menu down.

"Why are you doing this? Both of you could be in trouble if Lyle found out." She reached out and laid her hand over the paper.

"We want you back Miss Parker. With you Jarod has more of a chance of staying alive. Lyle would just as soon kill him as bring him back." His face was filled with concern, not for her but for Jarod.

"I see. I'm the lesser of two evils."

* * *

The flight and long drive from the airport to the small town left her exhausted. Sydney seemed to think there was a good possibility that Jarod would be there and she agreed. If Henry was there, Jarod probably was too.

But no one she had shown his picture to seem to recognize him. Cursing both Jarod and Sydney, she checked into one of the few hotels in town and showed the desk clerk Jarod's picture.

The woman snorted and asked,"Ex-husband or boyfriend?"

"Neither!" Miss Parker cringed. "He's just a friend. I understand he's a new deputy assigned here."

"Did you ever think of trying the sheriff sub-station?" It was the same line she had heard all afternoon.

"Of course I did!" Miss Parker growled between clenched teeth. "It seems your sub station is on a permanent lunch break."

"Maybe he's one of the night deputies or maybe he's in Baker the next town. Try there. They have a twenty four hour diner called Al's. The gals on the night shift seem to know ALL the deputies if you know what I mean." She grinned at Miss Parker who grabbed the room key she had held in front of her. "Sure he's not your ex-husband?" The clerk called out as she stormed out the door.

* * *

Baker was a dead end. No one recognized Jarod's picture, not even the waitresses at Al's who knew all the cops. It was after midnight and the drive back to her room was a lonely stretch of highway. Tomorrow she would return to Blue Cove empty handed. Blue and red lights flashed in her rear view mirror and she pulled to the shoulder of the deserted highway with the patrol car behind her. But instead of the officer getting out she heard him on his loud speaker .

"Get out of the car with your hands in the air."

'Son of a bitch! Just who does he think he is.' She slowly got out of the car with her hands raised. "Excuse me ..." The lights from his car blinded her.

"Keep those hands up where I can see them. Now slowly walk backwards towards me and do not turn around." She complied with his demands. "That's far enough, now drop to your knees and interlock your hands behind your head." Not the easiest thing to do in a short skirt and heels but she managed. The officer came up behind her and cuffed her hands behind her back. He then began to pat her down.

"This is ridiculous officer. If you will just tell me why you pulled me ... Hey! What do you think you're doing? Get your hands off of me!"

The officer continued to frisk her, coming upon her gun. "Well, well, well, what have we here? A mighty big gun for such a little lady." The voice sounded familar.

"Jarod, I should have known!" She tried to turn around but he placed a wrist lock on her left arm and pulled her to her feet. "Bastard! What do you think you're doing?"

"Come on Miss Parker, we need to talk." He dragged her to the patrol car and placed her in the back seat, got in and drove off.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" He glanced at her in the rear view mirror but kept driving. "Damn you, answer me!" When that failed, she rolled over on her back and kicked at the wire mesh separating them. A quick turn to the left and she was off the seat onto the floor. With great effort she found her way back on to the seat. "What's that smell Jarod?" He glanced at her in the mirror and she could detect a silly grin on his face.

"Cow shit, ma'am. I'm the new officer out here. Seems it's standard welcoming committee procedure to place a bag of it under the car seat of every new officer. "

"Great co-workers. You thought the Centre was strange. And drop the accent Jarod, you're not Brigitte!" She had finally managed to find a semi-comfortable position as the patrol car bounced down the dirt road.

"Where are you taking me?"

"I need to talk to you in private." He stopped the car and turned to look at her through the wire that separated them. "I need your help."



"You need my help? Really! If I recall you're the one that told...no... informed me you were quite capable of handling things on your own. The last time I helped you it cost me my position at the Centre. Did you know that?"

She twisted in the seat until her face was inches away from the wire that separated them.

" I know what it cost you and I'm sorry." It was difficult to see the expression on his face in the dim light but she didn't need to, she could hear in his voice that he cared.

"You're sorry? Not as sorry as you will be when I take you back to the Centre." Her voice was angry and determined, the last six weeks of humiliation had taken their toll. "You're going back and I'm going to be the one to take you."

"Miss Parker please. There is a little girl out there who needs our help." She could hear the compassion in his voice and felt herself weaken but she couldn't help him this time.

"You're not listening. I won't help you this time. I'm the Centre to you remember? You made that clear at Henry's party. I'm not playing ..."

"No, you're the one not listening!." His voice now angry and for once she was glad there was a barrier between them. " There is a ten year old girl out there whose mother disappeared three months ago. Her father doesn't care about her, no one does. She doesn't even know if her mother is alive or dead. At least you have a grave to visit, she deserves that too."

"Then why don't you go out there and find her? I don't have time for hard luck stories. All I'm interested in is bringing you back." Her voice was hard and full of acid as she fought back. "Tell someone who cares Jarod. I'm not interested in your crusade for the 'little' people." The radio crackled and interrupted their conversation.

"Baker six requesting backup on a 10851 on the south side of Ash road."

Jarod picked up the mike and cued it, his voice now calm. "Mike seven, ten four. Enroute, ETA ten minutes." Jarod backed the car up throwing Miss Parker off balance. The car sped down the dirt road, back onto the highway and stopped with a jerk. Jarod jumped out, opened the door and roughly pulled her out.

"Come on Miss Parker I don't have all night. I have another officer to back and I don't like the thought of you tagging along on a possible stolen car stop." He quickly uncuffed her and pointed her in the direction of her car.

"Think about what I said. I'll be in touch." He got back in the car. "Read the red notebook I left on your bed at the motel. It might change your mind." He left, leaving her to walk the last fifty feet to her car alone.

* * *

She had read the notebook left on her pillow. Renee Bell, twenty seven, a single mother, missing for three months. She was last seen dropping her ten year old daughter off at school. Employer: Aero West owned by Henry Funk. There were few clues to her disappearance and no trace of her. The daughter, Carrie, had been placed in a foster home, the father refusing to accept responsibility for her.

Then there was Henry. A detailed account of Henry's dirty deals for the last year, illegal trafficking in classified military aircraft parts and computer chips, as well as a lucrative drug running business. There were also a number of failed business adventures that coupled with his overspending left his bank account in the red. She was surprised to see his last check to the Centre had bounced. Henry was broke! But it was the newspaper pictures of Carrie that Miss Parker kept coming back to, a small child alone and without her mother. Jarod was right, she did deserve closure.

She checked her watch in the dim light of the parking lot, three a.m. It had been over twenty minutes since she placed the call reporting her car had been vandalized. The sheriff's car pulled slowly into the parking lot. She stepped out of the shadows, walked over and tapped on the passenger window.

"Let's talk." Jarod shook his head and she got in the car.

"It's against the law to file a false police report." His voice was hard when he spoke.

"For your information Jarod, it's also against the law to impersonate a cop. I read what you wanted me to. I'll consider helping you on one condition .... " The cold look on her face confirmed his suspicions, this time her help came with a price. "You help me get my position back at the Centre."

"That's a deal." A small smile formed on his lips. "I'd rather have you chase me than Lyle."

"The only difference between Lyle and me is that I'm the lesser of two evils. I'm going to bring you back, you can count on that." She spoke with a icy calmness. "And speaking of Lyle, he should be showing up here soon. Now what do you want me to do?"

* * *

She walked past the protesting secretary into Henry's office, came around his desk and leaned against the edge. A surprised Henry spilt his morning cup of coffee on his pants as he stared at her legs. Turning to the secretary she snapped. "OUT... NOW!" Henry nodded his head to the young woman that she should leave. Then Miss Parker turned her attention to him.

"You think you've identified Jarod from a photo I sent you?" He nodded his head as he continued to stare at her legs. She snapped her fingers. "Up here. If you want the Centre's help then you need to co-operate with me. And that means telling me what I want to know. And if you so much as touch me..." She placed her heel in his crotch. "you'll wish you were dead!"

* * *

Two hours later the door to Henry's office swung open and Lyle entered accompanied by Sydney and Broots. His mouth opened then shut without a sound as he stared at Miss Parker seated behind the desk. "Nice of you to drop in, Lyle. I'd say at the rate you're going Jarod doesn't have a thing to worry about, he'll die from old age before you can bring him back."

Sydney and Broots stood smiling behind Lyle.

"What are you doing here?" Lyle finally found his voice.

"I'm doing your job or should I say following up on what I started. I know Jarod. I know how he thinks. Did you really think I was going to let you walk in and take credit for my work?" She motioned to a chair in front of her. "Sit down and I'll tell you how we're going to do things." Lyle remained standing.

"I'm not here to discuss Jarod with you. If I recall you pulled yourself from our team." He smirked. "I believe it had something to do with 'emotional involvement'. The truth is Miss Parker, you're obsessed and that can be dangerous."

"You're right, it can be dangerous." She stood up and pulled from the pocket of her jacket a sheriff department ID card. She held it up so he could read the name on it, 'Jarod Earp' and the deputy in the picture was Jarod. She tossed it next to a red notebook lying on the desk. Sydney's smile faded as he picked up the notebook and looked through it.

"Where did you get this? " Sydney looked at her with concern, the same concern she had seen in his eyes at Dino's. "This is Jarod's writing. Where did you get this, Miss Parker?".

"Shocking what a false sense of security some people have. You would think a cop would know better and lock his patrol car." She stared Lyle in the eye.

"You, you...you stole this from Jarod's patrol car?" Broots asked amazed and she nodded her head.

"And if that doesn't convince you, this was taken by Henry's surveillance camera early this morning." She picked up a remote control and the small television came on showing a video of Jarod in uniform taken by the security camera outside the building they were in.

"Alright Miss Parker., you have my attention." He sat down and cocked his head at her. "You did say sit didn't you?" He smiled as she sat down across from him. " So what is this 'plan' of yours?"

"Jarod likes to help people, the 'little people' I call them. It seems that the disappearance of one of Henry's employees has caught Jarod's attention ..." Lyle sighed loudly before interrupting her.

"What does that have to do with us? Who cares if Henry can't keep track of his people. The man's an idiot!" He was barely able to control his angry.

She smiled, then in a low and deliberate voice she said. "Because he killed the woman. I know where her body is and it's bait we can use to trap Jarod."

"How do you know this?" Lyle leaned forward and she leaned towards him keeping eye contact.

"It's amazing what a five inch stiletto heel can do to make a man tell the truth. Now do you want to play by my rules or do you want to go back home and tell Daddy what an idiot you are?"

"Not really Miss Parker." Lyle sighed. " So tell me... how are we going to catch Jarod this time?" She motioned for Sydney and Broots to come closer.

" Jarod contacted Henry this morning. He threatened to expose him about the murder unless he was paid to keep quiet. I told Henry to go along with it. The meeting is set for three this afternoon at one of the bunkers at the north end of the airport. There isn't much out there except some of the planes Henry's company works on. Broots, I want you to wire Henry so we can hear his conversation with Jarod. Lyle, you and I will be in the cockpit of a C-130 cargo plane that's in front of the bunker. With Henry wired we'll be able to hear everything that goes on between them. When Jarod leaves he's ours." She looked at Lyle as he toyed with Jarod's I.D. card.

"Not bad except for one thing. What happens if we don't catch him before he drives off? It's a little hard to chase a car on foot or do you plan to let him get away this time too?" He looked at her with a smirk.

"He's not getting away. I'm bringing him back, I have no emotional ties to him." Her words were full of hostility directed at Lyle. "I already have a car hidden in the cargo plane. When Jarod comes out he won't get far. And.." She looked at Sydney. "I don't want him killed. I want him brought back to the Centre... alive."

* * *

The cockpit was uncomfortably hot and few words past between them. They watched Jarod and two officers position themselves at the bunker. She could see two airport security cars hiding off to the side. Silently she wondered if they were there for Henry or her. It had been mutually agreed between Lyle and Miss Parker that they would let Henry take a fall. They weren't there to help him. Henry arrived late, looking nervously around before entering. They could hear his conversation with Jarod. "How much is a woman's life worth? Ten thousand? Twenty thousand? You tell me...how much?... How much for a little girl ....."

"I always imagined the climax to Jarod's pretends to be more exciting than this." Lyle echoed her feelings as he loosen his tie. "Damn it's hot in here!"

They could hear Henry offering more money and Jarod telling Henry."...well I'm really not a blackmailer. You killed a woman because she threatened to expose you. You've been running illegal drugs. Selling classified military parts and computer chips to..."

Miss Parker rubbed the back of her neck while cursing lightly under her breath. "Damn, Jarod! You'll bore the man to death before he can confess." Lyle laughed at Miss Parker's comments as he wiped the beads of sweat from his forehead.

"Well, maybe there is something we agree on after all Parker." They both wanted this over. Almost without warning they were on the alert. Jarod came out and quickly climbed into Henry's car. She suddenly felt weak, that had not been part of the plan. Jarod was going to leave her sitting there like a fool. Well, she had a surprise for him too.

"Damn. He's going to get away. Get the car." Lyle was already trying to start the car but all they could hear was an engine that refused to turn over.

"Thought you had everything under control Miss Parker. I should have known better than to trust you. " He growled. She could see Jarod driving towards them as well as one of the security cars. Abandoning the useless car, they both pulled their guns and ran down the ramp. Lyle aimed his gun at Jarod as he drove by.

"NO! I want him alive." Screamed Miss Parker as she brought her arms up under his deflecting his shot. Without another word, she stepped to the center of the road and pointed her gun at the driver of the security car.

As the car came to a abrupt halt, Lyle pulled the driver out and jumped in. "Coming Parker?" She was barely in before Lyle hit the accelerator and they were off chasing Jarod across the airport with the second security car behind them. "I thought you said you had no emotional ties?" He gave her an accusing look. " I thought we were going to bring him in this time! You bitch! You care about him." He laughed at her. "You've fallen for him. You really care... you poor stupid bitch.."

"You fool! I knew you were stupid, I just never realize to what extent. But considering that you were raised in Hicksville, well what did the Centre expect?" It was her turn to laugh. " You're confusing my real motives with love. I don't care about Jarod but I do want the bastard alive. For Jarod ... returning to the Centre will be absolute hell." The caustic tone of her voice matched the hatred on her face. "And I plan to make everyday of the rest of his miserable life a living hell. Can't this thing go any faster or don't you know how to drive?" She took her anger out on Lyle. "I can run faster than this moron! I can't believe someone so inept could possibly be related to me." She slammed her fist into the door. "Floor it!"

"I am. You don't like it, get out and walk!" He snapped back. "I'd stop and open the door for you but I'm busy." He looked quickly at her as he spoke then turned his attention back to the road. "Parker, what's wrong?"

She saw the sign as they passed it.

'STOP! Yield To All Arriving And Departing Aircraft.'

"Damn can't you read? We're crossing the runway! Lyle..." The plane's landing gear clipped the light bar on top of the security car causing it to spin out of control . It came to rest facing the opposite direction.

They were bruised but unharmed. As they crawled out of the car a deputy greeted them with a shotgun and the two security guards as back up.

"Get out of the car nice and slow with your hands in the air where...." She raised her hands. Damn, this sounded familiar!

* * *

Miss Parker appeared calm and at ease seated in a chair across from her father. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Lyle next to her twist in his seat. They were alike, she hated to admit it. Even their passion towards Jarod was equally as strong. While they shared an intense hatred, she also seesawed between it and it's equally passionate twin ...No! she could never use that word in conjunction with Jarod. It made her vulnerable, exposed, weak and she despised that. Her father's voice brought her back to the issue at hand.

"Well Lyle. What do you have to say?" That tone of her father's voice always inspired fear in her and it had the same effect on Lyle.

"I...have..nothing to say...except..." Lyle shifted his weight and cleared his throat. "except...she beat me there. She must have had help from Sydney or Broots." He slid down in his chair and rested his chin on his folded hands. Suddenly she realized it was Jarod who had sent those pictures to Henry in her name. It was obvious he didn't need her help, she needed his. He had plan everything and unwittingly she had done exactly what he wanted her to. Damn, he had manipulated her like a puppet!

"I see, you have nothing to say in your defense. And you?" His attention was now directed at her. "What were you doing there? You were pulled from that assignment. How do you explain your actions?"

"I got a outside tip and I followed up on it. I didn't expect to see Lyle." She paused and gave her father the same look she had used as a child. "I know I've failed you in the past Daddy. I just wanted to prove to you I could bring Jarod in." She looked at Lyle. "I almost suceeded ."

"Almost isn't good enough...but you did prove you belong back in the effort. As for you Lyle, I'm sure we can find another assignment for you." He shook his head with disappointment.

"Daddy, I think you should leave him where he is. With time," She turned and looked at Lyle. "I'm sure we can learn to work together. We have our differences but the goal is the same. Together we'll bring Jarod back." She was surprised at what she heard herself saying.

"Sure you want it that way?" Both her father and Lyle looked surprised.

"I'm sure Daddy." She smiled at Lyle. "After all.... we are family."

Her father's secretary interrupted. "Mr. Parker. The client you were trying to reach is on line two."

"Thank you." He picked up the phone and waved them out of his office, the meeting over.

* * *

"Nice strategy Miss Parker." Lyle said as elevator doors shut. She looked at him and shook her head indicating she didn't understand. "Keep your enemy where you can watch him. And what better way than having him work under you." She jammed the stop button on the elevator bring it to a halt between floors.

"Look here. That's not why I did it. You once said that we were the same and as much as I hate to admit it, you're right. I am you...with one difference, I'm the lesser of two evils. You may hate me, God knows I detest you, I certainly don't trust you. But we need to learn to work together. One more thing I want to get clear. Don't ever question my motives or loyalty. Where Jarod's concerned I want him back just as much as you do and sometimes that means I have to play his games. Understood?"

"Perfectly Miss Parker." She started the elevator on it's way.

* * *

Pulling the robe over her moist skin, she walked out of the bathroom. The hot shower had done little to ease her aching body. Well at least she was back in control and most of the Centre employees knew it. Tomorrow she'd make sure everyone knew.

Removing the towel from her damp hair she smiled. Lyle was right, she was keeping him where she could watch him. He was too dangerous and she agreed with Sydney, he would kill Jarod if given the chance. She ran her fingers through her damp hair as she thought about Jarod. She hated him for manipulating her. Damn him. He knew she would help when he gave her his identification card that night in the patrol car. He had even second guessed her actions which deviated from his plan. Her thoughts were interrupted by the phone. "What?"

"You tried to double cross me Miss Parker." Jarod's voice was smug and arrogant.

"Well I could say the same for you. Nice touch sending the airport security after us." Her voice cold.

"How did you know about the car?" She tossed the towel on the bed.

"Let's just say it was a gut feeling. I lived up to my end of the agreement, I see you got your job back."

"I held up my end too, you got what you wanted. Henry's behind bars, he'll never see the light of day again."

"I thought that's what we both wanted Miss Parker." He was right, she did want Henry where he could never hurt anyone again. She ran the fingers of her free hand through her hair.

"You know what I ..." Her voice was full of anger at him and for what?

'He had helped you get what you wanted.' She closed her eyes trying to push the thought away. When she spoke again it was in a softer tone. "Jarod...there is .." She paused and bit her lower lip. Why was it always so difficult to say two simple words? She swallowed hard before continuing.

"Jarod...thank you."

"Well, like someone once said Miss Parker," She could hear the smile in his voice. "We do work well together."