Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer, "the Pretender" and its characters are protected trademark of MTM and NBC. This story is independent fan fiction and no infringement of copyright intended.



The Dance Lesson
by Ra-Chell




Leaning back in her chair, feet propped up on the edge of her desk, Miss Parker slowly brushed the soft petals of the rose against her lips. Her eyes were closed but in her mind's eye she could see the rose. She had committed to memory the number of leaves, the color of the petals, white with a blush of pink. It had been three weeks and four days since she had captured Jarod in the Middle Eastern market. Three weeks and four days since she had given in to Sydney's pleas to take Jarod to the emergency room.

Really, it hadn't taken much for her to bow to Sydney's demand. She hated to admit it even to herself, but Jarod looked terrible with a swollen face and he didn't make sense when he spoke. But it was just another pretend, he had escaped while the x-rays were being done. For three weeks and four days nothing , no smart ass phone calls, no surprise packages, just silence. But now that silence had been broken. She received a single rose with one of his cryptic notes wrapped around the stem.

"Uhh, Miss Parker, are you all right?"

"I'm fine, Broots. Why? " She was surprised at the softness of her words. She had been so deep in thought, she had let her guard down.

"Well, you ...it's just that, I mean it looked like you were trying to empath and.."

"If its one thing I'm not, it's Angelo. Got it Broots?" Miss Parker was her old self once again. Opening her eyes, she could see Broots cowering and Sydney standing back, arms folded with an amused expression.

" If it hadn't been for you playing Mommy, Sydney, we would have had Jarod back in the Centre now. "

"You can't blame me for Jarod's escape. I saw the look on your face, you would have taken him for medical treatment even if I hadn't been there." Sydney remained calm and unwavering.

"Like hell I would have. He could have waited until we got him back to the Centre. I should never have listened to you, Syd." By now Miss Parker was standing, shaking the rose at Sydney. Broots bit his lower lip at the comical scene. No one could affect Miss Parker the way Jarod could.

" I see Jarod has broken his silence. Strange..... one rose. Nothing else, Parker?"

" Nothing but one of his usual cryptic messages. See what you can make out of that, Mommy." She threw the now wadded piece of paper towards Sydney. Broots caught it and carefully unfolded it.

"It takes two to tango." Broots read out loud with his usual lost look. "What does it mean?"

"You tell me. "

*****

They had struggled all day trying to decipher the simple note. Finally her ulcer and patience both took their toll. Leaving earlier than usual, she was almost to her car when Broots came running after her carrying a box marked "Miss Parker", a single red rose on the top.

"This came right after you walked out, Miss Parker. I thought you'd want to see it. Do you think it's from Jarod?"

"What the hell do you think?" She opened the trunk of her car , threw the box in and slammed it shut. " It can wait. Jarod can wait. He can wait till hell freezes over for all I care. Good night, Broots."

The drive home had been one of curiosity mixed with anger. Now the box sat on the table, waiting to be opened. Lighting her third cigarette, she finally decided it was time to satisfy her curiosity. Carefully lifting the lid revealed a red envelope taped in the center of white tissue paper.

The flyer inside the envelope was for a free tango lesson at the Fantasy Factory Dance Studio for eight p.m. that evening. At the bottom of the flyer was a simple note in Jarod's writing, "Come alone tonight if you want answers." She spread the tissue paper apart and pulled out a silky black dress. Holding the dress up to herself, she stared in the mirror. A calm outer appearance hid the battle raging inside.

"Why should I go and why should I trust you? " The battle raged as she showered and dressed.

****

The black dress fit her body perfectly. Long sleeves, low cut in the front, the back plunging almost to her waist, the dress hugged her body showing every curve, till it reached her hips. From there it began to flare with an asymmetrical hemline to mid calf, the skirt moving fluidly with every movement Miss Parker made.

Jarod was delighted , he had designed it and was pleased to see it met his expectations including the fact there was no place to hide her gun. He detected a shift in her body as she tensed, her eyes dilating as she caught his reflection in the mirrors which lined the class room. For a brief moment her face was an open book and he could tell she liked what she saw.

Moving past the couple he had stood behind gave Miss Parker a clear view of him with his loose white shirt tucked into black pants and Stacy Adams shoes.

"Well you look very lovely this evening, Miss Parker". He watched her face for any sign of her previous feelings, but knew full well that she was a master at concealing them.

"Just what are you up to now, Jarod? And don't tell me I look lovely, I can pick out my own clothes and do a better job. Unlike you, I'm not a fashion moron. You said 'answers', answers to what?"

"You'll see. Just be patient." His attention was directed to the front of the classroom where the instructor was standing. Six other couples were standing in the large classroom lined on one side with full length mirrors. The wood floor reflected the over head lights and pictures of dancers hanging on the pink walls created a warm atmosphere.

"Hi, my name is Susan and I am glad you have taken this opportunity to learn more about this exciting dance form. The tango originated in Buenos Aires and made its U S debut in the 1920's by Vernon and Irene Castle.."



Miss Parker had met her when she arrived at the studio. She had parked next to a hot pink car that the five foot six inch brunette was standing by and one could easily tell she had the well maintained body of a dedicated dancer. The only fault Miss Parker had with Susan was that she possessed a personality that was bubblier than she liked.

".....a dance of passion and exaggeration. My sister Dee will be assisting you individually." Miss Parker eyed the young woman. She wasn't as tall but she too had the body and look that a dancer acquires after years of dancing. Dee was as bubbly as her sister and her eyes gleamed with a hint of mischief every time she looked at Jarod and Miss Parker. 'I've been set up again.' she thought as Dee winked at Jarod.

"And this is Yip, who will be my partner for tonight.." Miss Parker eyed the young man, taking inventory, his clothes fit his athletic body perfectly, his dark brown eyes contrasted with his light complexion, his long black hair secured in a ponytail at the nape of his neck .

"Not bad, not bad at all." She said softly under her breath. Almost immediately she felt Jarod move up close behind her, sliding his arm around her waist and pulling her firmly to him.

"He's only for demonstration, Miss Parker." The thought that Jarod could be jealous of her looking at someone else gave her a strange feeling. She had never considered the fact that he might even be capable of having such feelings. 'Stop this. Look who you are talking about. Jarod wouldn't know jealousy if it bit him on the ass. This isn't jealousy, it's more like a wild animal laying claim to a piece of raw meat.' As usual when it concerned Jarod, a battle raged within her.

"...Yip and I will demonstrate the step first and then we will try it as a group.

The instructor had begun with a series of steps that had looked simple enough, but when executed by Miss Parker and Jarod, seemed more like sparing movements. When Jarod tried to lead he was often met with a leg from Miss Parker which created another bruise for both of them. After only a few tries both had sore feet, Jarod's from the spiky heel of Miss Parker's shoes and Miss Parker from Jarod trying to follow the music and using her toes as the floor. Each time they would stop and readjust themselves ready to begin again. Their diaphragms touching, heads held high, Miss Parker offset just a bit to his right side , and then again they would move to the rhythm of the music. Several times Jarod was able to lead Miss Parker through the first few steps. Back slow, back slow, back quick and close to the side. Just as he thought they were beginning to move in time together she would forget he was leading and darken the bruises they both already had.

The instructor's sister Dee after watching them for a few minutes finally stepped in. "May I," she said as she cut in. She and Jarod took a few steps together to demonstrate how easy it was.

"See, all you have to do is relax and let him lead. I know you're worried about hitting other people but don't worry, your partner is steering you around the floor, and he won't let you crash. Besides Jarod is great at this, he's such a natural. He's a great partner for a beginner like you. Now just try it again." She pulled Miss Parker toward Jarod and pushed them together.

"Just listen to the music."

'Great! I'm being compared to a car this moron is supposed to be driving. ' Again her leg came up hitting his and then just as quickly it came down wrenching her heel into Jarod's foot. "Oh, sorry!"

"Come now Miss Parker," Jarod said through his teeth fighting the grimace of pain that was creeping across his face, " I think that we are starting to get the hang of it."

"Alright, since we are all doing so well I think that its time we add a few more steps." The instructor and her partner demonstrated a side bend and a quick turn where one hand remained in her partners while his other hand rested on her middle back.

"Just remember ladies, when your partners are turning you back in, make sure you are conscious of your left hand, bring it in a bit when you turn so it misses your partner."

The music began and the group started out with a few basic steps before trying the demonstrated turn. As Jarod's hand came to rest on her back they were both suddenly conscious of him touching her bare skin.

"Trying to cop a feel are we?" And as she came turning back around caught Jarod upwards across his face catching his nose with the back of her hand. He quickly pushed her away and put his hand to his nose. He pulled his hand down to reveal a slight red smudge across his fingers.

"Oh my God! Are you okay?" The whole dance class stopped as the instructor hurried towards them. " You see ladies this is why you need to keep your left hand close to you. Jarod, are you alright?"

"Excuse me a moment." He hurried off toward the restroom.

Miss Parker hung toward the wall watching the other couples glide across the floor until he returned. "Nothing broken I hope. I'd hate to have to take you to the hospital, again."

"No, Miss Parker, I'm quite alright. Shall we try again?"

After making it a few times round the dance floor without incident the instructor again paused to introduce another step. This time it was a step that involved the man pulling away a bit, holding his partner firmly in place, extending his right leg, guiding his partner over it first with her right foot and then back again leading with her left, until they stepped back together and closed to the side like they had done earlier.

"Remember Miss Parker, wait for me to guide you." He pulled her arms towards his right side and she pivoted on her right foot. But she wasn't ready for him to pull her back toward the front and as she tried to regain her balance with the step, lost her balance and went straight toward the floor knees first.

As he tried help her up he said, " I think you waited too long."

"Shut up!" She snapped back and pushed his hand away. She pulled herself up and once again let herself be lead back into position by him. "Let's try that again wonder boy!"

They flowed through the step the next few times they tried it. New music was put on and they began to glide across the floor with the other couples. Miss Parker could feel Jarod's hand slide down a bit to the middle of her back where her dress came together and she stiffened up.

"Ready Miss Parker, let's try that step again." He pulled her across his leg effortlessly but when he tried to pull her back across she froze. He pulled harder which caused her to once again lose her balance. Instead of falling this time though she caught on to Jarod with both hands clawing him through his shirt causing him to lose his balance also. Pushing her weight against him she was able to regain her balance just as he tumbled to the ground.

She smiled down at him. "Not so light on your feet after all, huh?"

He glared at her as he laid on the floor. He pulled himself up quickly and pulled her to him. "I know we can do better than that."

She could see the stone set of his jaw and slightly smiled at the thought of him losing his temper. They began to dance around the room with the other couples. Each move they made was a fight between them, Jarod pushing harder and harder and Miss Parker pushing against him but letting him guide their way across the floor. She could tell that Jarod was trying hard to keep himself in check and that only made it harder for her to resist smiling.

They were both in pain and determined not to back down to the other. And as the tempo of the music speed up so did their dancing. And the faster they moved, the rougher they moved, until finally as Jarod tried to follow through with Miss Parker's pivot they both lost their balance and hit the floor, Miss Parker slightly on top of him.

"Don't be so domineering, Miss Parker!" Jarod growled at her.

She took him by the collar and slightly pulled his head off the floor. Her eyes sparkled and she smiled and said through clenched teeth, "Just dress me in leather, give me a whip and call me mistress!"

******

When the lesson was over Miss Parker had accepted Jarod's offer to escort her to her car. Neither of them speaking or touching , not a romantic couple but more like two prize fighters who had finally come to a draw and were limping off to lick their wounds. Miss Parker felt exhausted and wondered where the answers were he'd promised her. Hell, just what had the question been to began with.

" Well at least we are limping in step with each other, Miss Parker." Jarod's comment betrayed him, he was as exhausted as she was. But he was right, it was one of the few times that evening that they were in perfect rhythm .

"Tell me something, just what was tonight all about?" They had finally reached her car and faced each other . Jarod slowly shook his head as if he was disappointed that she didn't already know. Unlocking the car, he opened the door, an aura of disappointment hanging in the air.



" I need to know what you meant by answers. Answers to what? Damn you , Jarod. I'm sick of your games. Just what the hell was this dance lesson all about!" The pain shooting through her body as she lowered her self to the car seat helped her to hurl the words at him.

"You know the answer as well as the question. " He leaned against the car, trying to hide his pain. "Think about tonight. The few times you stopped fighting me to lead, we were in perfect rhythm, perfect sync. Some times Miss Parker, you have to let someone else lead."

"Like hell I do. And if I did, it sure wouldn't be you."

He simply sighed as if he were too tired to deal with her any more. Bending down towards her, she thought he was going to kiss her on the lips, instead he kissed her forehead. 'You bastard, anything but that. A patronizing little kiss on the forehead, how could you, a hand shake would have been better.' Her hand ran along the underside of the dash, coming to rest on her gun. The look in his eyes told her he knew about the gun.

"Sorry, Jarod. But its time to go back to the Centre. No more games." Her hand still rested on the gun in it's hiding place. They both knew it was there, that was all that mattered.

"You will have to shoot me first. I'm not going back." His eyes showed more expression than his voice. After a few moments of hesitation, she drew her hand away from the gun.

"Well then, tonight must be your lucky night, slick. I'm too damn tired to shoot you and have to drag your carcass back to the Centre. Besides, you're not worth the time it'd take to do the paper work."

Pulling her legs into the car took most of the strength she had left. Thank god, the door fell shut on it's own weight, going home to bed was her only thought at the moment.



The green pantsuit hid the bruises on her legs, the black flats she was wearing instead of her usual heels felt like some medieval torture device. There wasn't a time she could remember when she felt so sore, so much pain from dancing of all things. Having come to the conclusion long ago that the pain killers the doctor had given her to keep from aggravating her ulcer were worthless, she had searched through her prescription bottle collection looking for something that would numb her aching body. The vicodin had given her a rash the last time she had taken it.

Sydney had urged her to toss it, to take it again would be suicide, something which she had briefly contemplated. She didn't know which was worse, her physical pain or her mental. At the back of the cabinet there had been a bottle of Valium. Her vet had prescribed it for the cat she had briefly owned six months ago. Of all the cats in the world, she had to pick one with a 'nervous bladder'. At least the Valium had helped her more than the cat, it let her sleep. But now at work she needed something that wouldn't affect her alertness. Pulling a forbidden white bottle out of her desk drawer, she popped two pills in her mouth and quickly washed them down with water.

She had spent a lot of time thinking about Jarod's words. He was right, when she did let him lead they flowed across the floor as one. She had caught their reflection in the class room mirror once and felt surprise at what she saw. It was almost surreal, as if watching a dream. Sexy, seductive and passionate ...

"Ibuprofen? You know that's not good for your ulcer." Sydney looked at her with concern.

"Jarod's not good for my ulcer." The acid in her words matched the acid she felt in her stomach.

"Would you like to talk about it, Miss Parker?" Predictable Syd. Always trying to get her in touch with her feelings, especially when those feelings concerned Jarod.

"Do I look like I want to talk about it?"

Broots came to her rescue, carrying a red rose with a note tied around the stem.

"Um, Miss Parker, this was just delivered. Its,....its for you!"

Grabbing the rose, she unwrapped the note and read it.

"Like hell I do and if I did, it wouldn't be you. This is reality not a fantasy."

Clearly in pain she pulled herself up and crushed the now beheaded rose beneath her foot. She clutched the desk to steady herself and pulled open the top right hand drawer. The now crumpled note was tossed in the back of the drawer where she kept a folder full of pictures of Jarod. As she clutched the folder in her hand she snapped, "I'm going for a massage and after that to the shooting range. Call me only if you get a lead on your brat!"

Sydney watched her limp in pain down the hall, wondering what condition Jarod must be in.

"Do you have the note Broots?"

" Yeah, it says, 'Sometimes in the dance of life Miss Parker, you have to let someone else lead .' What does that mean Syd?"

Sydney just stood there watching Miss Parker. He hadn't seen her wear flats since she was a child. There were bruises on the back of her left hand and more on her right wrist. It was clear she was in agony by the way she moved, but he refused to believe Jarod would intentionally inflict such pain on Miss Parker.

"I don't know. Only Jarod and Miss Parker can answer that, I'm afraid. I believe for once Mr. Broots, I'm as much in the dark as you."