Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Timmy Pt 6

Timmy looked up at Ted as he opened the door. He got up and ran to him, throwing his arms around Ted’s legs.

“What’s up little man?” Ted asked gently. He crouched down and held Timmy’s tear-streaked face in his hands.

“I want to go home, I want my mommy.”

Ted heaved in a sigh. “I know kid, but we talked about this yesterday. It’s best that you do what Dr Raines says, and you have gotta stop these tears. I thought we made a deal yesterday. You said you were going to be a brave boy for me.” Ted stood up. He hated to see the poor kid this upset.

“I know” Timmy sniffled, wiping his nose on his sleeve.

“Then what's wrong?”

“I think today is my birthday,” he wailed through a fresh set of tears. He had been counting the number of sleeps he had had, and even though he couldn’t tell anymore if it was daytime or night-time, he thought that today might be his birthday.

“I’m not a little kid anymore, I’m five.” Timmy said proudly, holding up five fingers to show Ted.

Ted got down on his knees and pulled Timmy tightly to him. “You poor little bugger.”

Timmy wrapped his arms tightly around Ted. He was the only person here that Timmy liked. He was really scared of everyone else. But he knew that Ted was trying to help him. Timmy had never had a grown-up friend before and he knew that his mommy would not like it.

“You have to listen to me Timmy, and listen good. Can you do that?” he pushed Timmy away and tilted his head up so that he could look into his eyes.

Timmy nodded. He didn’t want to upset Ted, he didn’t want Ted to go away.

Ted got out a handkerchief and wiped his eyes and nose. “Now Timmy, you have to do what Dr Raines tells you. I know it is going to be hard sometimes, but you have to try and do your best okay?”

“I don’t like him. He makes me scared” Timmy whispered.

“He scares me too” Ted whispered back.

“Really?” Timmy asked. He couldn’t believe that Ted would be scared of anything. “But he doesn’t make you do things all the whole long day.”

“C’mon kid, time to get you ready for the day.” Ted stood up and smiled. “Happy birthday Timmy.”

“Mom was going to make me a special dinner,” Timmy said as they started down the long dark hallways to the showers. “I don’t like the yucky stuff here. I wish I could have some of mom’s dinner. Do you know she is the best cook in the whole-wide world?”

When they got to the big room that Ted called a sim lab, Timmy sat down in his chair and looked at his breakfast. He was always hungry now, but there was only the yucky green stuff. He put his spoon in it and ate it slowly while Ted watched.

“You don’t like it here” Timmy said as he spooned his breakfast into his mouth.

“How do you know that kid?” Ted looked up sharply.

“I can feel it” But all of a sudden he was scared. He knew he wasn’t supposed to tell people about that. Especially strangers. “Please don’t tell on me. Mom says I am not allowed to talk about it. Mom says that people will think I am crazy and lock me away if I tell.”

Timmy’s eyes opened as wide as saucers. “But I didn’t tell the lady anything, I promise I didn’t.” He was trying to think real hard about what he had told the horrible lady at his pre-school that day. That was the day that they had come for him. That was the day that they had taken him away from Benny.

“Tell her what Timmy” Dr Raines walked in the room. “It is very important to tell the truth Timmy. I will not tolerate your lying, and I will not tolerate your hiding things from me.” Raines moved closer over to Timmy, stroking his hair.

Timmy started to cry again. He got nasty feelings from the doctor. But he was scared and he didn’t want to get into trouble.

“Sometimes I can feel things” he whispered.

“Feel things? Like what?” Raines eyes were glittering with excitement.

“I don’t know, just things.” Timmy just wanted the doctor to go away. “Sometimes I know when Benny is having a bad dream. And I know that Jarod has really bad dreams.”

Raines hissed in a breath. “What do you know about Jarod?” He grabbed Timmy's arm, hauling him to his feet. “How do you know about Jarod?’

“I don’t know.”

Raines shook him harshly. “You better tell me the truth, and tell me right now. What do you know about Jarod? Who has been talking to you?”

“Nobody talks to me” he sniffed. Timmy was so lonely and he couldn’t understand why the doctor would think that people had been talking to him. he was stuck here all day and then at sleep-time he was locked in his little room.

“Jarod has bad dreams like Benny did. Sometimes I can feel him. He misses his mom and dad too.”

“You can read his mind?”

Timmy could feel the doctor now too. But they weren’t scary feelings now. The doctor was really happy and excited.

Timmy shook his head. He wished he could read minds so he would know what to say so that he wouldn’t get into any more trouble.

Raines got up and dragged Timmy out of the room. He hadn’t even finished his breakfast yet. He thought he was being sent back to his room, but he was dragged to the elevators. Since he had been here, Timmy had not been allowed to go off this floor. It scared him sometimes to think that he was under the world. He was scared that maybe the world wasn’t even there anymore. Had his mom come and looked for him? Would she be able to find him all the way down here? He wanted to see the sun. It was always dark down here. And cold.

But the little lights on the elevator stopped at SL-24. Timmy knew that that was still far down for him to be able to see the sun. The doctor pulled him out of the elevator, grabbing his sore arm. Timmy had to run to keep up. He didn’t know where they were going but he was happy that he didn’t have to do all the really hard things that he had to do yesterday.

Timmy was pulled into a tiny little room with a window that took up the whole wall. The doctor made him sit in a chair that was facing the window. Timmy was all excited because he thought maybe he was going to get a look outside after all. Maybe Ted had been telling him fibs when he said that they were under the world. He didn’t think that Ted would lie to him and this made him upset because he liked Ted.

The doctor pressed a button and the window lit up. But it wasn’t a window like normal windows. Timmy looked at it confused. It was kinda stupid to have a window inside that just looked into the next room. He watched as a man walked around the room.

“Sydney” he said to Dr Raines. Timmy could feel the hate coming off of him in waves.

“How do you know that?” he looked at Timmy sharply.

“You don’t like him, you think that you should be him.” Timmy knew that that wasn’t really what the doctor felt, but he didn’t know how else to say it.

Timmy watched the window as a young boy was led in. He watched him as he talked to the man.

“Who is that?” Raines asked.

“I don’t know.” Timmy said. He had not seen the boy before and he wondered if the boy was the same as him. He wished he was allowed to talk to him.

“How can you not know? Are you trying hard enough? Concentrate” he ordered.

Timmy watched the boy but he wasn’t getting any feelings from him. He screwed his eyes tightly closed and tried really really hard. But it wasn’t working.

“It doesn’t work all of the time. Only sometimes, and mostly only with Benny.”

The doctor looked at him for a long long time and Timmy thought that he had that same look that mommy got sometimes when she was trying to decide something that was really hard.

“Come with me Timmy, we are going to Renewal Wing. We are going to turn you into the best Pretender The Centre has ever seen.” He reached down and stroked Timmy's face lovingly. Looking through the window at the boy and Sydney, Raines turned to Timmy again with a big smile on his face.

Timmy didn’t like the smile, it made him feel like he was going to be eaten for dinner. He didn’t know what a wing was that was new, or what he was supposed to do there, but he was scared of it.

“I am going to help you reach your full potential son. Your’s and mine.”